Mod Squad September Thread ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad September Thread

Well, my thinking about drinking has definitely changed. I now don't want to open a bottle of wine because I hate to see it go to waste. So, when I opened a bottle last week because I wanted "just one" which is all I had, it sat there and sat there. Read somewhere that once opened it will last only a few days as the air will get to it. Think whites last longer than red but I sure don't want to sample it a week and 1/2 later...better toss that puppy.

Did have 1 drink last night - a mike's lemonade drink (1 serving) that was left behind by my bil when he brought drinks one night. Was having a craving for "just one" tonight but will have to pass as I don't want to do that open bottle routine. Gone are the old days of the whole thing being drunk in a day or two...
    :l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi guys, Deebee I am so sorry to hear your news, you must know if you are coming or going at the moment. I hope things improve for you and your family.
      Well folks I have been out of the country for a while and I have to admit to having gone over my mod limit in terms of frequency while away but it is fine and I am back with the program, as they say. I was always aware that as a person who dank daily for many years this is always going to be an issue for me but I am still learning. October will be AF for me as previously plannned.
      Eve I too have that with opening a bottle now. Red lasts longer than white at about four days I think. Used not to last four hours in my house.
      Moo I smilled at the belly dancing, a friend of my wife does it too and raves about it, sounds great fun. I am not planning on trying it personally, before you all ask
      I am a big fan of L-glut because it worked brillantly for me, cravings wise, when I went AF initially and I took it successfully with the under the tongue method when it got bad. I still take one tab a day and I find one in the morning before food does the trick.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Good morning modders,

I'm not posting much as I am unbelievably, terrifyingly busy this term (it will lighten up in January - knock on wood). But I am lurking and reading everyone's news, good and bad. AND, my modding is going just fine.

I just wanted to say that I really love you people - glad to "know" all of you, virtually speaking. :h

Comment

Hey there, dear, dear Modders,
          I wanted to say hello, and to give you a heads up about a thread I just posted. I think I'm done with trying to moderate. I want to say that I think you guys are doing great. I support all of you, and respect you. I wanted so much to moderate, but it was very hard for me. I learned to control my drinking 98% of the time. But I'm scared of that 2%. And I wasn't very happy, even when I was sticking to my limits.

I think that because I have issues with depression and anxiety, I'm not a "good drinker." I think I'm ready to comit to giving it up for good. I think it's what I really want for this one life I have to live...This one chance I have to raise children.

I hope I won't change my mind. I know I might. I hope I won't .

But I'll be back to say hi, and I'll see you on the boards, and I'll miss you. You're a great group. It's been an honor to feel like a part of you.

Love, love, love,
          Sara
          "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sara,
            As Susan Powter said in her book "Sober and staying that way" you are taking control of the bus and driving it in the direction you want to go. Good for you.
            We'll be here supporting you every step of the way.
            (((hugs)))
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thank you, dear Eve! Sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

SaraSmiles,
                Good for you! Less alcohol is always better, and probably AF is the best of all. Your thread, "Is moderation worth the Effort" clued us in that your thoughts were going this direction. We can still "see" you on the boards.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sara congratulations on your decision, I am sure it took a lot of bravery to come to that realisation.
                  I think a lot of people convince themselves that modding is an option when in reality it is only prolonging the day when they inevitability have to come to the conclusion that AF is the only real path for them.
                  I mean no disrespect to anyone in saying this and I may find myself at that point sometime in the future, who knows. I imagine it is probably a weight lifted from your shoulders and I personally wish you all the very best.

Comment

Good one Sara. It can only be a good choice. If what you are doing isnt feeling right, then change it and you have. I think its marvellous. WELL DONE and most importantly, I wish you strength in your decision.

Love MOooo
                    "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                    but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Thanks, everyone!
                      Hugs to all...
                      Sara

Comment

Hey everyone,
                        I thought you might want a puppy report: after one week, she sits nicely at the door when she needs to go out, she spends the whole night in her kennel, she plays with toys in her basket, and she is play biting with us less, responding well to the word NO. She ripped the cover off a paperback book, but otherwise has not damaged anything. We love her!
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Ahh, it does the soul good to catch up with all my mod friends.

Mum and Dad are both back home (finally!). I honestly feel as the oldest that i have so many more responsibilities that the rest of the family which does also make me resentful at times. I am just so grateful to hear that my brother has booked a ticket to come home for a month to visit the parents, although his emergency passport hasn't been approved yet, i have every faith it will be. My brother left to live in London nearly 8 years ago and my parents haven't seen him since. Last year, my baby sister went over to stay with him whilst taking a gap year but unfortunately it all turned out horribly pear-shaped and their relationship was totally destroyed and with it my brother has not spoken to me in more than a year. SO, it will be a very emotional day on Wednesday.

Sun, I was wondering how your new pup is getting on, she sounds too cute!! Have you decided on an name?

Sara, I am so proud of you!! It is not always easy to be honest with ourselves and where we stand with our drinking, I think this is a huge milestone for you. You know that I support you in your decision!!

KTAB, it's great to have you back! I thought for a second that you'd deserted us LOL!! How was your trip? Did you meet up with Mario? Tell me if I'm being nosey okay:-)

Moo, belly dancing must've been so exhilarating!! It sounds like an absolute ball! Do you have to wear special outfits? With tassels and things? Come on, more info required.
                          How is Mr Moo doing? And more importantly, how are you coping?

As for the L-Glut, there was some really interesting info posted by Beatle a little while ago on it -- I'll try and find it to bump it up.

Dancing Girl, how are you? It sounds like life is hectic??!!

Eve, you are such a rock to me -- thanks for your kind and thoughful words.

Hi MM! How are you doing? I'll have to catch up with your news on the ODAT thread:-)

Beth, now you KNOW you have my support girlfriend!! So if there's anything you need, just shout, okay?!!

Has anyone heard or *seen* Vlad around?? She's been AWOL for nearly a month now which is totally not like her and has me rather worried VLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD, check in please if you are lurking!!!

A special hi to Oney and Starts:-)

Happy Monday Modders.... lets make today count.
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi folks I was just thinking that seeing as it is almost the end of the month that it would be a good time for us each to look back on the last four weeks and take stock of how things have been working out. An appraisal of how well things have gone or not as the case may be, thus enabling improvements to be made if needed. This modding is a hard path to choose at times but personally speaking I am happy with my first six week's attempts. As part of my long term plan I will be going AF again for October, hoping to see you guys back here in November. I wish you all luck and strength in your choices.
                            Deebee I have sent you a PM, we keep passing here like ships in the night.

Comment

Good morning everyone!

Hope all's well.

Good idea, KTAB. I was just reviewing my drink tracker and thinking what an amazing month September has been! For me, it's gone by incredibly fast.

Here's how my month started: Drinking a bottle of wine almost every night. At least 5 nights a week. Occasionally I would not have a drink if I had something like a parent teacher conference, or whatnot. I have worried about my AL for years and actually joined this forum several years ago, but fell off and gave up. Over the last several years things had progressively got worse. A divorce and financial scares and all that comes with that! But, I was popping a cork at 6:00 pm and not movng from the couch until 10:00 pm. My poor kids kind of managed on their own. I was forgetting things I'd said from the night before, and felt horribly hung over driving them to school the next day. My daughter dropped clues (some not so subtle) that she did not want me to have another glass of wine. "Mom, only 2 tonight!" How embarrassing!!!!

About the beginning of August I decided something had to be done. I'd failed at everything so far. Even this My Way Out program. AA is not for me. I'm a private person. So I decided that since 6:00 pm was my trouble time I would force myself to do something at that hour that made it impossible to drink. I decided to train for a half marathon. Duh. I don't run. I don't like running. I'm 48 and chubby (especially after the past 2 years!). So I joined a running group and nearly killed myself the first night at our group run. I could manage 60 seconds at a jog. But, I did not drink. I knew I wouldn't drink before the run because it would make me sick. And after the run all I wanted to do was take a shower and rest. And besides, I felt great and didn't want to screw that good feeling up.

In that first couple of weeks I did drink on the nights I did not run. Sometimes I skipped my run in the evening and drank. But if I did that I made sure I ran the next morning after I felt better. Most of the time it was just walking with a little jogging thrown in. But I kept at it.

After September rolled around I remembered this site and joined back up. Reading the posts and keeping up with the drink tracker has made a huge difference. I've kept up my jogging and can now run a 3k at a respectable pace. I have a plan in place that helps to keep me on track.

I never planned to be abstinate. I can't because of my job as a wine sommelier and valuer. But because that is my business I have always treated it like a business. I have never abused wine when at tastings or wine dinners. Funny how I could somehow separate it. I guess I was intent on being sober enough throughout the tasting that I could actually evaluate the wine! Anyway, I always found it sort of ironic that after a several hour tasting of 25 or so wines I would have actually drunk only 2 or 3 ounces total.

Anyway, this site has been a Godsend for me! I have strick rules that I follow: No drinking at home, no drinking alone, avoid the family gatherings for a while (I have a great family and we love to have cocktail hour!), keep running and exercising, stick to a maximum of 2 drinks when I go out with the girls or out on a date (actually, don't finish the second one if it's a date!).

The benefits of this month's work have been enormous. I feel good in the morning. My kids get the help they need with homework. The kitchen gets cleaned up at night and I tell them goodnight and remember it the next morning. I'm slowly losing weight, I think. I'm looking forward to October and a clear headed future.

Thanks for suggesting this exercise! I've wanted to put it all down, but wasn't sure where. This is the first time I have mentioned my job and how it relates to my drinking and the possible dilemma it presents. Moderation is for me!

fig

Comment

Fig, what a great story - I have a big smile on my face! I congratulate and admire you!

This is a nice idea for postings, KTAB. I'm up to my eyeballs busy, but think it's good to keep up with things here and this is a good way to link in again.

My September has been okay for modding. When I look at what I was drinking before the summer (when I found MWO in early July) and now, I'm way ahead. However, I still am not managing 7 or fewer drinks a week (my goal). I have a crazy schedule Mon - Thurs, then a lighter Friday, then back at it on Saturday. So my challenge is now Thursday night - avoiding the "reward" binge! I haven't been all that successful, but have recognized that. I should have 17 AF days in Sept, which is up from July and August, but my challenge is still keeping to one or two (rather than four or five) when I do decide to drink.

I'll be interested to read everyone else's thoughts.

Love,
                                dancer

Comment

Working...
                                X