Avoiding temptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding temptation

I drink 2 to 3 glass of wine when I come home from work. I know it has turned into a habit. Im i considered a alcoholic?

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Hi life. I just noticed your post and wanted to say :welcome:

I think only you can decide if alcohol is a problem for you, and if so, to what degree.

For me, the key to figuring that out was not so much about how often I drank. It was really more about what happened WHEN I drank, and what happened when I tried to NOT drink.

I reached a point where once I started, it was extremely difficult to stop. I was also not able to reliably decide when and where I would drink (or not) and how much. If I woke up and said "I'm not going to drink today," it was impossible for me to do that. I would always end up drinking anyway. If I said to myself "I will only have 1 drink tonight" - I really couldn't do that. Once I had the first one, I was going to have more even if I had decided I didn't want to.

"Loss of control" over alcohol does not necessarily mean DUIs and lost jobs and marriages. "Loss of control" to me is being unable to make a decision about AL, and stick to it. I can't stick to any decisions about AL if I drink. So therefore, I don't any more and that is the best thing I've ever done.

There are people here who have figured out how to successfully control their drinking in a reliable manner. I suggest reading a lot of posts and getting to know everyone. You will figure out what is true for you.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Hi Life. Welcome!

It's hard to tell if someone is an alcoholic or not. In AA they say that only you yourself can say for certain whether you are or not.

However, I think a good question to ask yourself is how drinking has affected your life. For many alcoholics, we spend much of our time thinking about alcohol. We'll think about how we're going to get it, how/where we'll drink it, etc. Do you plan your nights around alcohol? I couldn't socialize with people unless alcohol was involved.

Like DG said, being an alcoholic isn't defined by external events, like arrests. Many alkies never get arrested, can keep their jobs, and by all outward appearances don't seem to have a problem. Yet they are suffering on the inside. Conversely, Dick Cheney was arrested twice for DWI, yet he doesn't appear to be an alcoholic.

Feel free to ask us any more questions and let us know how you're doing!
        Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
        George Santayana

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Bumping this one up for Dave

Dave,
          I'm bumping this one up for you and to all of the new modders to our site. Dave, hang in there with your plan for 30. So much of it (I think) is the psychological part of having a drink - so enjoy your "fine" Arnold Palmer or have an O'Douls with the guys!! I find it works for me!!
          :l
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Thanks, Eve. I went with the Arnold Palmer, over O'Douls, and was thankfully sober through golf and cards. Didn't play any better but had as much or more fun doing so, and didn't have to worry that Johnny Law was going to pull me over on the way home.

Everyone and anyone, moderator or AF is welcome on this post, all viewpoints are encouraged.

Dave
            Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
            When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Hey, Lifejustis...WELCOME and feel free to share more of your thoughts, fears, and experiences. GOOD LUCK!

Dave
              Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
              When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Hi all what a brilliant post to bump up. I am not an alcoholic and can say that with certainty as my adopted mother IS and I've seen and lived through, the destruction it causes to the alcoholic and their family. I have been drinking a bit more than usual lately as both my parents are Very sick (amputations, pneumonia etc etc etc ). I live with bipolar disorder type one ( more up than down but the ups ain't fun) and after talking to my psychiatrist about the drinking we decided that I should try to be dry for about 6months so I can work out some better coping mechanisms for this period in my life than the ones mother gave me, which didn't do anything at all (lol love that song). I am on day six and have had no side effects except for a little insomnia. I don't feel like a drink and there's plenty in the house. I was not drinking every night and my limit is about five drinks on the meds I take. Last weekend however, after hearing my father has to have more "taken off" his other foot I had a total emotional meltdown and drank nearly three bottles of wine over about ten hours and then passed out.
                So here I am to get the help and motivation a shrink can't give me. I don't intend to drink again for months but you modders are lovely and I think I'd like to be on this side of the divide if I slip.
                And please don't say I'm in denial cause I'm not I know my issues and so does my shrink I do have a tendency to turn to AL when I'm faced with tough situations but they have to be pretty tough. I've moderated for years - couple of drinks on weekends, or if not going out mostly none at all.
                In psych terms I'm a situational drinker.
                Thanks for reading if you got this far! So can I hang out with you for six months, pretty please?
                Cashy xxx
                "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Cash, welcome we are a very nonjudgmental group here, we are a small group though and it can get quiet here at times we hang out mostly in the monthly MOD SQUAD so the August mod squad for now....

No reason to limit your stay to six months though
                  And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Ok just not sure where to be re the site. I just read someone telling an obviously very intelligent and very young man that he should never drink ever again it was ludicrous, I mean how better to put off an intelligent young man. Arrrggghh!!
                    Sorry
                    Too true about the six months but do often life gets in the way and other health issues need priority sometimes. Thanks Cashy xxx

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Welcome

Cashregister;1359138 wrote: Hi all what a brilliant post to bump up. I am not an alcoholic and can say that with certainty as my adopted mother IS and I've seen and lived through, the destruction it causes to the alcoholic and their family. I have been drinking a bit more than usual lately as both my parents are Very sick (amputations, pneumonia etc etc etc ). I live with bipolar disorder type one ( more up than down but the ups ain't fun) and after talking to my psychiatrist about the drinking we decided that I should try to be dry for about 6months so I can work out some better coping mechanisms for this period in my life than the ones mother gave me, which didn't do anything at all (lol love that song). I am on day six and have had no side effects except for a little insomnia. I don't feel like a drink and there's plenty in the house. I was not drinking every night and my limit is about five drinks on the meds I take. Last weekend however, after hearing my father has to have more "taken off" his other foot I had a total emotional meltdown and drank nearly three bottles of wine over about ten hours and then passed out.
                      So here I am to get the help and motivation a shrink can't give me. I don't intend to drink again for months but you modders are lovely and I think I'd like to be on this side of the divide if I slip.
                      And please don't say I'm in denial cause I'm not I know my issues and so does my shrink I do have a tendency to turn to AL when I'm faced with tough situations but they have to be pretty tough. I've moderated for years - couple of drinks on weekends, or if not going out mostly none at all.
                      In psych terms I'm a situational drinker.
                      Thanks for reading if you got this far! So can I hang out with you for six months, pretty please?
                      Cashy xxx
                      Hey, I responded to one one of your other posts, now I see your story more clearly. First, you are not in denial and your definitely not an alcoholic. Like you said, you unfortunately had to live with it with a loved one and I (as I'm sure we all) have friends that are addicts and their experience is much different (and a lot scarier).

I'm on meds too, I said it in the other post, while I'm not recommending drinking on meds (I mean on I do), you know that there are facts and myths as to what a med may or may not do to you with alcohol; also, as you know, it depends on your body chemistry. I take 300 mg of Welbutrin and 20mg of Prozac. I notice the same, if I do drink, if I keep it to 3-4 before, before 10pm on a weeknight....fine...on a weekend, where I can sleep more, it can go to 5-6, but I still try to avoid that.

Again, welcome, and as everyone pointed out...no one here is judgemental and we are all trying to support each other.

j.

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Thanks J answered on the other post sort of. Yeah it's different for everyone - I happen to be one of those sensitive little poppets who meds affect very quickly and my dosages are very low. When I was in my late teens and twenties I was a true Cadbury drunk (glass and a half of milk in every block - dunno if you had that advert over there??') if the joke doesnt work I drank about 3 wines and I was what we call pleasantly pissed down under!! That's still very much the case for me, and combined with the meds I can feel tipsy after half a glass! Still when the proverbial hits the fan sometimes I overindulge and boy do I pay for it - I get soooo sick I think I'm going to die. I want to learn from people here how to see triggers coming and how to work out my own plan of action ( in conjunction with my docs ) so that I don't treat bipolar triggers with alcohol etc etc. I'm lucky in one respect having bipolar as it has led me to really examine my life
                        And know my moods - I've had to or I would have been dead - I did get suicidal and I acted on it twice both times I was so manic, thoughts racing, highly agitated and just wanted to stop, get off the bus. Not a good look but that was all years ago and now I am so much more in control thanks to a decent med regime. Now to cut out using alcohol to self medicate - day 7 AF and I just want to re examine my life without booze for a while - abstinence long term is not my goal, life long term is !!!

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Lasha,
                          I wanted to bump this one for you. I couldn't rename it for you (can't rename original titles) so I will private mail (pm) you to look for it. We are glad you are here!
                          :l
                          Eve11
                          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                          X