X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad November 09

Excellent Info

Rejuv,

Thanks on the excellent info about the "booze brain"! Enjoyed reading it.
    :l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Mr Rejuve & I are still back & forth

on what our modding looks like when we move forward...he's not doing the boards here like I am...but I share what I am reading...so he is here ...kinda by proxy. :H

I vacillate. I start thinking two drinks twice a month...but realistically I think thats very optimistic & maybe not realistic for us...for me...my gut tells me that...he agrees. Keeping it under 7 drinks a week, not drinking more than 2 days a week, no more than 3 drinks in a sitting, I think this a is a doable place to start. This is what we came up with last night...

What have your experiences been?

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi all,
        Eve, can you sign me up for the elephant ride? Or a camel would do. But they have to come to New York State!

Rejuv, I just bumped up my story under Tell Us Your Story, describing my experience.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

RejuvenateBodyMindandSpirit;757882 wrote: Keeping it under 7 drinks a week, not drinking more than 2 days a week, no more than 3 drinks in a sitting, I think this a is a doable place to start
          Rejuv,
          This is exactly how I usually mod (when not on vacation when we tend to drink almost daily...sigh).

The National Institute of Alcohol Abuse recommends no more than 7 drinks per week (14 units) for women so the only thing I do differently compared to your plan is sometimes I'll spread the 7 drinks over 3 to 4 days and I usually have no more than 2 per sitting.

Three for me is the rare occasion of a long event ( 4-6 hour event like a wedding) or vacations where one may have a noon cocktail at the pool, etc. I tend to get too drunk if 3 drinks are pretty much back to back and
          the drinks are processed quicker than 1 drink per hour.

Sunbeam,
          The elephant ride was fun. We're off to Phuket today (the unfortunate tourist area that got hit with the big tsunami a few years back). Hear it's really beautiful there.
          We'll let you know.

Hugs to all,
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

AF Day 11

Thanks Sunbeam & Eve for sharing your Modding experiences.
            We are headed to Chicago this weekend for a family get together & will be having cocktails after 15 days of AF. It is our intention to move into our new mod behaviors & not slip back into daily drinking...I think having this forum to check into will help. :thanks:

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi All

It is interesting people muting thoughts about posting regularly, or forever or whatever. All I can say is sometimes I seem to go through phases where I want to come here daily and post and read etc....other times I just dont. I dont know what the reasons are for the intermittance. I try not to overanalyse that, otherwise will be analysing everything forever. I just sort of go with my own flow. I know that I have gotten so much out of being here and still do. I find do feel a little less part of things at the present time, but that is likely me not posting enough, not giving enough individual attention etc. I always read the squad thread and try to post often. It is rare that its daily now.

I do still use drink tracker and make sure I am honest. This continues to help me to learn and that is all I can do. I feel generally so much better about my relationship with AL now and feel that if i continue down this path and keep working hard I will be able to have it in my life and live largely harmoniously with it.

EVE - have a wonderful holiday.
              "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
              but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Jumping in mid month. Really related to Sunbeams comment about "seeing her spare time being taken over by drinking, not what she had in mind for the rest of her life."
                I posted a thread last year about "post menopause drinking" and I think this idea is similar to "retirement drinking"
                We are done with the big responsibilities for raising our families and quietly and ever so easily drift into a place where we somehow we are able to accept that it is ok to have those couple of extra drinks. Then before we know it we are craving that drink every day at 6 or 7 o'clock.Then it becomes acceptable for us to have three or four every evenning. Then well here I am like you maybe, I am thinking is this the way I want to spend the rest of my life
                My husband is off for 30 days on his annual business trip so I did last year.
                The forums really helped me last year so hope tokeep in touch with you again. Will start with this reply.
                Should I send it out as a new thread. Not really sure how to follow up on any responses to my message

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Well, I guess I must have a fear of abandonment, because I don't like this talk of people leaving MWO! I understand, though. I come and go a bit, too. I think it would be nice if people who make a conscious choice to take a break or say good bye could do so openly, though, and not just stop posting. We grow to care about each other here...to be friends, even if we've never met in person, and never will.

I share the feeling that sometimes coming here makes me think about drinking when I otherwise wouldn't. I don't feel it's a daily struggle not to drink at this point, so coming here daily doesn't always feel essential. But I do like to stay in contact, in part because it keeps me mindful of what I'm doing. Sometimes, too, it's a little like writing in a journal or diary...A moment out of the busy day to reflect on my inner life. I need that.

I've been AF for 10 days now, and feeling very good. Yesterday my husband suggested I get us a sitter for tonight so we can go out alone. It's a little ironic, since I just posted about how rarely we do this. Anyway, we have a date tonight. Surprisingly, I'm not itching to use the opportunity to drink. I'm looking forward to talking alone with him, and hopefully having a good meal. Those things came to me first when he mentioned it. Then I started to wonder about alcohol. I've decided I'd like to try out having one or two glasses of wine tonight. I am certain of keeping to that limit. I'll have one before dinner, and if it's a leisurely meal, I'll probably have another. I never order more than two in a restaurant anyway. When we come home I'll immediately put the kettle on for herbal tea! The key will be to do another stretch AF after tonight. I want a nice long time between "occassions". The next occassion will be the weekend after Thanksgiving. I won't drink on Thanksgiving, because one of my goals is to enjoy holidays with the family without a drink. But my sister's visiting that weekend, and she drinks wine. I'd like to be able to have a couple of glasses Friday and Saturday with her.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes after tonight. If it really re-awakens cravings, I'll know it wasn't worth it. I LOVE being craving free.

See...It's like journalling. And for all I know, you all stopped reading after paragraph one. :H

Best to all.
                  Sara
                  "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hey Wannabe, we cross posted. Welcome back! If you're leaning toward modding, you've posted at the right place. Just check back for responses, and post whenever you feel like it!
                    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Sarasmiles;758512 wrote:

See...It's like journalling. And for all I know, you all stopped reading after paragraph one. :H
                      No way...I read them all...all the way

Nice to meet you Wannabe!

Eve...thanks again for sharing about how you mod...what was your story/pattern before MWO... daily or binge...how much, if you don't mind sharing?....I tried to go back, but was having trouble get far enough back/

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Thanks for your full attention, Rejuv! I'm here to report that I had two glasses of wine tonight, over a two hour and twenty minute dinner. It was plenty. I came home and put the water on for tea, but really didn't need to stave off any wish for more alcohol.

It was a lovely evening, and the wine was only a small part of it...Not, by any means, the focus. Maybe I've finally internalized all the thinking about drinking that I've been doing.

Hope everyone else is well.
                        Love to all,
                        Sara

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hey Everyone ... Sounds like your all doing well ! I'm glad you had a night out with Hubby Sara ! Moo , Sunbeam , RBMS , looks like your MOD plans are working ~:h

Wannabe ~ "retirement drinking" !! great way to put it ! ;-)
                          Non Drinker 9/09
                          Non Smoker 6/09
                          Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hey Mod Squad,
                            So quiet here...It's eerie...

Hello Emmy - thanks for the support. Are you well, too?

I had zero desire for alcohol tonight, after my two glasses last night. I'm relieved that it did not reawaken cravings. I have been taking L-Glut pretty religiously, and I think that's probably really helping. Hope everyone is well.
                            Sara

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hey Sara , I doing well , thanks for asking :l ~ I'm playing tennis twice a week and hitting the gym as much as I can ~ I haven't had any urges to drink , I've been lucky~ I just hope I can get through the holidays ~ I set the bar very high ( no pun intended) :H
                              I'm only allowing myself 3 glasses of wine a month ... under no circumstances can I go over that ~ as long as I can do that without any urges , I feel I'll be ok !
                              Lakers are playing , I need to get off my ass and cheer them on , Have a good night
                              Sweet Dreams :l Em
                              Non Drinker 9/09
                              Non Smoker 6/09
                              Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi Em , Sara...kinda quiet...the rest of the Mod squad...in absentee mode
                                Still AF...Day 13...tomorrow rounds out two weeks which was our goal to start.:yay:
                                Glad to hear your both doin well!

Rejuve!

Comment

Working...
                                X