Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad November 09

Sarasmiles;759483 wrote:
    I had zero desire for alcohol tonight, after my two glasses last night. I'm relieved that it did not reawaken cravings. I have been taking L-Glut pretty religiously, and I think that's probably really helping. Hope everyone is well.
    Sara
    That's great to hear...do you stil use the hypno recodings as well...or just the L-Glut?

Rejuve :l

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hello to all

All is well here...had 2.5 glasses last night (not planned as such, but not problematic as I play it much more by ear now. No 2.5 on DT....so will have to go 3 I suppose!!! Bugger!

I have two major social engagement friday and saturday (one is work XMas meet up at the pub and the other is a charity do with band etc). I have decided to drive to first one so will leave reasonable early and wont drink at all....the Jury is out on the second one at the moment, but I am erring towards an AF weekend. It would be a really good test to go to 2 events and not drink a drop....I dont want to over think it at this point though....

Glad to hear you doing so great EMMY and SARA
      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Catching up with everyone today, happy Hump Day! The successes of the posters is evident, and I would say that the secret to everyone's success is Having A Plan, and Executing the Plan. That is so important and a good reminder to me that I need to renew my plan. Now that it is getting dark early and I don't get outside in the evening I'm more tempted to drink.

I read a lot more than I post, don't have much to say really but I'm very encouraged by all the modders.

Here's a shout out to Deebee! YooHoo! :lDee:l
        vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Sarasmiles;758512 wrote: Well, I guess I must have a fear of abandonment, because I don't like this talk of people leaving MWO! ... I think it would be nice if people who make a conscious choice to take a break or say good bye could do so openly, though, and not just stop posting. We grow to care about each other here...to be friends, even if we've never met in person, and never will.
          Wow! There's so much to respond to so here goes.

Sara, I really relate to what you said. Where did Looking to Grow, Lila, Periwinkle, etc. go without a good-bye? Lurking, perhaps, but it is sad when regulars just disappear. Thus the reason for everyone cringing with our beloved DeeBee not posting. It is hard. We do feel a bond with our cyber friends. But, Sara, I beg to differ about NEVER meeting in person. I have personal goals of meeting many of you. If ever in Boston Sara, I'll be calling you up! And DeeBee, South Africa may be on my travel list and seeing you is at the top of it! Love upstate New York so Sunbeam??? and so on, and so on. If anyone ever visits the Phoenix area, email me and we'll hook up for Chai tea at Starbucks!!

Moo, Thanks for the holiday wishes. Wish we had spent more time in Phuket, Thailand. It was breathtaking, relaxing, beautiful!!! We're in Vietnam now. Crazy place so far. Had the wildest taxi drive to the hotel. I was in the airline crash position many times as there weren't many traffic lights and it was a crazy free for all. We arrived at the hotel (THANKFULLY) without an accident and as we were praising the driver for getting us there unharmed Adam 12 opened up his door to get out and WHAM!!! Another crazy taxi driver slammed into the door! Thankfully he wasn't hurt but we were pretty shook up after the ride and then to end up having an accident afterall!!! CRAZY!!

Wannabee, I liked your post and think you should cut and paste it and make it a new thread so you can get indiviudal replies to it. As you can see with all of the posts here we run off on other tangents. Yours was insightful but will miss the replies it warrants without it being a new thread so I recommend doing that.

Sara, Good for you. Date night. We are FIRM believers in date night having practiced it for 19 years of marriage. Someday the kids will be grown and gone but we'll still be best friends because the date nights help us keep prioritizing each other.

Rejuv- I had a reply for you but forgot what it was now!! Well, have a great day and I'll re-read everything and get back to you. Cyclefan - good to see you again!

Hello to anyone I've missed. Our drinking continues to be in control 1-2 only but daily which is over the NIAAA limits with this vacation stuff. The vacation stuff has always been my downfall but as long as I don't continue the daily stuff when I'm home then I'll be ok.

Rejuv, maybe you were the one who asked about my drinking habits now that I think about it. My drinking pattern was never daily. Usually never on school nights (have kids). But I didn't pay attention to how much how I drank when we went out to parties or dinners with friends on the week-ends so I was having episodes of slurred speech, stumbling, etc. which got to be very embarrasing as I would be fine one minute and drunk the next.

I would estimate I was drinking 4-6 drinks when the blackouts or slurring speech would happen. I probably drank 3-4 on nights I didn't have big problems.

With MWO I've changed the pattern to usually no more than 2 drinks on a night, 3 at the most for events like weddings (4-6 hour events) and no more than 7-8 drinks per week. The cutting back has made a huge difference in my life!!!

Well, enough said. Off to see the city of Hanoi.

:l
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

forgive me for not reading through the whole thread before posting but this is now my third attempt in as many days to post.

All is well in DeeBee land -- well kinda

Work is hectic, this is what I call our silly season. My brother is still staying with me and like my daughter casually pointed out the other day i think he's moved in permanently. My in-laws have also being staying with us as my FIL has just been diagnosed with Lymphoma and begins chemo in a couple of weeks time.

I haven't posted in quite a while for a couple of reasons -- mainly due to lack of time but also to give myself some time away to stop thinking about drinking/modding everyday. This was not an intentional decision, it just kind of happened.
            My head is clearer, my goals more defined and I have a game plan for the next three months.
            Most importantly... I feel good!!

Right, now I'm off to catch up on all of your news and will hopefully have time to post more a bit later.

Love to all.
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hooray! It's so good to see that familiar ostrich again!! Welcome back, DeeBee.

Great to hear from you Eve, and yes, you're right, of course, we may meet some day! I hope so.

I only have a moment...Wanted to just check in. Rejuv, I think you asked about whether I listen to the hypno cds. I used to. I think I got bored, and I kept falling asleep or getting distracted. They were useful at first, to force me to take time out to relax. I especially liked the visual image of lying in the river, with the water flowing through me and the repeated reminder, "let it go".

Lots more I want to respond to and say, but I'm off to work for a couple of hours before I get the kids.

Best to all.
              Sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

DeeBee! So good to hear from you. We've both been hanging out here a long time. It is good for awhile, and always good to help others, but I agree that it makes me think about drinking too much.

Eve, come on down! You even know what my street looks like.

Cyclefan, the summer patio makes me think about drinking more. That is over, the furniture is all put away and snow will arrive soon. This is good, I have many indoor interests that simply don't get done when I can go outdoors: Like vacuuming and dusting! I'm very interested in getting those jobs DONE! Not drinking.

Moo, I will pact with you for an AF weekend if you like.

Sara, good job at the restaurant with two glasses. I consider wine with a meal out drinking for the right reason.

Rejuv, let us know how your trip goes.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

I've only just managed to catch up with the last couple of days news and cant tell you how touched I am by your thoughts and concern. You are right Sara, it is worrying when one of the squad just "dissapears", so my apologies for my selfish moment!!

I don't have too much planned for the weekend -- we've had a horrible storm with gale force winds the last couple of days and quite a few of my trees have come down as well as my one and only prized rose tree so I'll be spending time in the garden cleaning up.

We bought a potjie pot last weekend -- it is a kind of three legged cast iron pot used traditionally over open fires and takes about 6 hours for the meal to cook. I'm going to experiment with an oxtail recipe I've downloaded.

Hope everyone has a wonderful mod weekend
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

DeeBee Nice to see that your OK , Stay well and try to keep in touch .. enjoy your oxtail ha ha .... Wishing you a beautiful AF weekend :l Em
                    Non Drinker 9/09
                    Non Smoker 6/09
                    Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

DEEBERS....so pleased to see you here...I too have been a little absent, fits and starts I guess. I totally get your reasons and am sort of feeling similar at the moment.

LOVE TO ALL....
                      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Really enjoying reading all the posts and being a part of the mod squad. Have been lurking more than posting the last couple of days, but appreciate everyone responses & posts.
                        We head out to Chicagoland tonight for a couple of days.

Never tried Oxtail ...any good? I'll try anything once.

Sara I know what you mean about the hypno tape...they have been helpful so far & I do really like the clearing one. He has made a Mozart subliminal one that's pretty special (it was a freebe)....I wasn't sure I'd like it as I'm not really into the classics, but it's pretty non-intrusive & seems to really shut down the booze brain talk.

We are going out to dinner tonight before head to airport for our late night flight & plan to mod with a glass of wine or two...& a cocktail or glass of wine with dinner with family tomorrow. It's a short trip we head back home Sunday.

Later...I'll report back after the trip.

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi guys, well it was going so well I thought but goes to show, I never can tell. I am currently on day 3 AF on my journey to another 30 after spending nearly a week drinking again.
                          I let the stress in my personal life just overwhelm me and took the conscious decision to seek the release of hiding in the bottom of bottle. There was no great cravings or desire for AL, just a choice made to escape from pressures for a few hours. Well as we all know that is no answer, never was and never will be. I very much regret that decision but there is no room for regret or self pity in this battle imo. I suppose this comes down to whether we agree that we have no control over AL as AA claim, something I dont accept for me personally.
                          So here I stand today hopefully a little wiser and sober again. I dont have any immediate plans but to do my 30 days and reassess how that goes. I wish you all the very best on your personal journeys.
                          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

KTAB, I wish you well on your journey. The struggle seems to never really end, it just changes forms. Even AF people struggle, though not as much as those of us who keep re-introducing alcohol. I agree, I can't accept the AA party line (as I understand it) that everyone is the same or at least requires the same approach in dealing with alcohol. My struggles continue to be: can I learn to more consistently stop at two 5 oz. servings when I choose to drink? Can I achieve my goal of 50% AF weekends? I already have a pretty firm habit of not drinking more than once weekly, and that is a good thing, but there is always something to worry about.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

KTAB , Brush yourself off and just take baby steps , ODAT ( no , i am not AA ) although , I do like a few of their sayings... Lets be AF for the next 30 days together :h ?? Let me know if you are in? AL doesn't make any siuation better , I know you know that .. write down how you feel after you drink , put it in an email to yourself and read it everyday..
                              Take care :h Em
                              Non Drinker 9/09
                              Non Smoker 6/09
                              Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Thanks Sunbeam and Emmy, I hope nobody reading this thread misunderstood what I meant yesterday. I have absolutely nothing against AA, I think it is a fantastic organisation. It is just, that for me I want to gain control over this not hand it over to a higher power. I think it is within me to do so. As I believe it, and I am open to correction here, it is not posible to beat this addiction untill we do so according to AA?
                                Anyway the absolute last thing I want to do is open a discussion on the merits or otherwise of AA. In my opinion anything that helps us overcome this baffling addiction in any way, no matter how small, is to be applauded and encouraged. Whatever works.
                                Emmy I am on day 4 now, thanks for the offer of a buddy for the 30.
                                Keep up the good work everyone.
                                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
                                X