Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad November 09

Hello Modders,
    Ktab, glad to hear you're doing 30 days. It really does seem to me to be a good practice. It gives us time to get through the worst cravings, and move on to the joyful part of not drinking. I really think it helps to reinforce us.

The AA and abstinence versus moderation question is such a complex one. Bu it seems to me that it's very clear that there are some people who truly can't moderate. They are, in some sense, "powerless" over alcohol, once it's in their systems. I would guess that those of us who are most likely to be able to change our drinking behavior and continue drinking are those of us who had not crossed the line, (unclear as that line might be) into chronically out of control, excessive drinking. This is my humble opinion, as I see my own situation. I dare to think I can moderate, with effort, because: 1.) I never drank daily 2.) I only drank to excess occasionally (more often than I should have, but not regularly. Perhaps 4 or 5 times a year). When I drank to excess, it was for one night, and the thought of alcohol the next day and for many days after, made me ill. I worry about people who can get up the next day and drink again. 3) Excessive drinking for me meant 4-6 drinks, not "a bottle of vodka" or two big bottles of wine.

I guess I think of myself as having been a "problem drinker"... Someone with a bad habit of misusing alcohol...Drinking to relieve stress, or to "cheer up". I think I have made huge strides in coping with my moods without alcohol, and that makes me feel as though I'm turning the corner, and may be able to drink occasionally, without obsessing about it.

I don't mean to imply that I would ever say who can learn to moderate and who cannot. That's such a personal decision. And sometimes a person may be able to do it, but decide it's not worth the effort. I have a close friend who was religiously counting her drinks and keeping to her limits for a long time, and then decided she was sick of thinking about drinking. She's so much happier now that she's decided she just won't drink at all.

As for coming here, I just don't do it on days when it doesn't feel right, or when I'm not thinking about the issue and don't want to. But I know it helps me to have this "home base"...this safe haven of friends to share with, consult with, lean on and cheer on.

Deebee, so sorry about your roses! I know your garden means a lot to you. What a healthy thing it is to tend a garden; to clean and care for a house...both seem to me to be life-affirming. We are all worthy of self-nurturing, and our environments are part of that.

Okay, I'm going to church today. I went last week for the first time in years, and I loved it. Two of my three kids even said they'd like to come!

Love to all,
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi Everyone .

RBMS , Sunbeam , you both sound like your doing great :h

KTAB.. I agree with you , I have nothing against AA its just not for me , personally , I feel that whatever works to keep you AF or sucessfully moderating !:h

Sara .. you sound like you have everything under control ~ I just like you , AL isn't an issue for me either , I don't think about it .. quite honestly , coming in here makes me think of it:H ~ but , it also reminds me how lethal AL can be . I'm a light weight , 3 was always my limit ~ I was never out of control , I just was getting into bad habits .. I'd watch my soaps and if they we're drinking , I'd pour myself a glass of wine , some cheese&grapes and have a little party all by myself :H.. I'm glad to say , those days are over:l Em
      Non Drinker 9/09
      Non Smoker 6/09
      Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hello,
        Mind if I join you? I think this is the right place for me. Sorry to not read all through the thread, but as I'm last in the month I hope I can just jump in.
        I usually am ok as a social drinker - it's when I'm alone or feeling destructive that I have a problem. I was here a lot this summer, then dropped out, and am now back. Anyway, I look forward to our dialogue.
        Tulipe
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
        AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

A quick fly-by to let you know I AM thinking of you all but only have 2 sec's to post.... will be back a bit later.

P.S. WELCOME TULIPE!!
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Day 2 of 14 AF

Same here....fly by visiit....have read all the posts, now I dont have time to reply!!!!

All is well here..good weekend. Drank 2.5 Ciders on saturday...moddings going well, but now 2 weeks AF, fully committed to.
            "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
            but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

I haven't posted for several days and want to be a "regular" with long term mods. All is good here in Kansas. We have family coming in this week for Thanksgiving and it will be fun. It will be over sixty degrees and sunny here today but cold front coming in tomorrow. I actually had to cut yard one more time yesterday and mulch leaves last time. The climate really has changed in midwest U.S. I can never remember having green grass on Thanksgiving week before this year. After seeing the horrible storms that hit England last week it does give me great concern about what we will be facing in future.

My mod journey is on track. Last two weeks around 10 drinks a week with several days off. This is place I need to be.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hey Tulip , welcome aboard ! Hi Moo & Deebee .. I hope everyone is having a great day !

:wave::wave::wave:
                Non Drinker 9/09
                Non Smoker 6/09
                Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi to Emmy, Sara, Moo, Mg,DeeBee,KTab, SunBeam, welcome to Tulipe...hope I didn't miss anyone...it's bee a good couple of weeks successfully transition from nearly two weeks of AF , after years of daily drinking & moving into a mod mode. The hypno tapes & the topa really seem to do the trick along with the supps exercise & support here and other boards on MWO!

Back from Chi town, had a nice visit with the family & an early turkey with my side of the family...we have T-day with Mr Rejuve's family sometime this weekend...his kids will have dinner on Thanksgiving with their Mom & step dad ...but will catch up with us Sat or Sunday. Gotta get to work but wanted to touch base, glad to hear you've dusted your self off Ktab & are moving forward...no point in dwelling on the what's past there's only now :l . I completely agree with you about AA & "the turning it over to a higher power" being the turn off for me as well... as if we're not all connected and not part of that higher power. Not my intention either... to slam AA ...whatever works... it just doesn't work for me...which is why I was so thankful to find MWO.

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi to, Sara, Moo, Mg,DeeBee,KTab, SunBeam,Tulip & RBMS.. AND , I hope I didn't forget anyone , I have a hard time with names ;

I'm excited about Thanksgiving ~ We're going to have a houseful.. I'm making the turkey and the HoneyBakedHam.. everyone else will bring the "fixins" ~ I don't plan on having a glass of wine ( thats the plan ) I have no desire at this point , I guess thats a good thing
                    Truth is, I don't think about AL , I love this site , but a part of me thinks its another habit , this time a GOOD habit :l:l... Wishing Everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving :h Em
                    Non Drinker 9/09
                    Non Smoker 6/09
                    Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Day 4 of 14 AF

Hello to modders and lurkers...

Emmy ~ you seem really to have nailed life without wine and if you like coming here, then great....we love to have you.

KTAB ~ I too am glad you have taken a pragmatic approach to your blip and very pleased you are just getting your head down and getting on with more AF time. I think that is the key. If it does go a bit wrong, take time out and look at the relationship again.

DEEBS ~ great that you are busy with work, glad you are posting too, I miss you when you are not about, big time. x

All is well here. I am just mooching through the week really. I have the day off work today which is lovely. Plan to take mum to the shops and stop off for coffee and a cake. Then I have my dance class tonight which is always a giggle....happily AF at the moment. It really does seem like once I set my mind to it and commit it to paper, things progress more easily. It means I perhaps am still at a stage when I sometimes need a plan, but I am that type of person anyway.

Love to all, Moo

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi Everybody,
                        Moo, I have the day off too. Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving holiday. No school (work for me) until Monday. We will cook a turkey dinner tomorrow for BIL and his new wife. They will arrive for dinner, and spend two nights. I hope that all of you who celebrate this holiday find peace and gratitude for all we have, but especially for our MWO friends and the ability to control alcohol. I haven't decided my alcohol plan for tomorrow. It would nice to have just one glass, as I did last weekend with a restaurant meal. That is harder at home, where there is always an open bottle available. And occasionally I just want to veg out!

Today I actually have a job interview with a previous employer. It wouldn't begin until next July, because I have a contracted job that ends in June. I have been in this same job for several years, but I am SO fortunate to be in a financial position where I can now consider a part-time position.

Emmy, posdting at MWO is a good addiction. You are giving support to friends, and doing something with your time that is much better than drinking. It can also be a journaling learning experience if you choose to do that.

Rejuv, sounds like your trip went well, including alcohol. Taking that first drink after an AF spell can be scary, always wondering if you might quickly go back to old bad habits.

Tulipe, Welcome! More people posting means more support for all of us. I hope you decide to share about yourself so we can all connect with you. I remember occasionally responding to a post of yours on General Discussion. What are your goals?

MG72, glad you plan to continue posting here, as well. The more anyone shares, the more we can connect with you. Of course, this IS the internet, and we all wish to hide our identity. The question I ask myself: do many people know this piece of information about me? If the answer is no, I feel it is safe to share here.

Deebs, I'm glad you are busy, but also find the time to stop in here and wave to us.

Sara, your thoughts about modding make sense to me. It feel like you are finding some new good strategies.

Take care, all
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Good morning Sara, Moo, DeeBee, KTAB, Sunbeam, Tulip, Emmy and Rmbs and any others I missed,

As a new long term mod I will take Sunbeam's advice and share more of myself with you. I retired from my job a little over a year ago. I worked lots of hours with weekly travel by airplane all over the states. My career was great as far as compensation, long term security and job satisfaction was concerned. The downside was that I felt very lonely on the road almost every week and it was difficult to socially connect expect to immediate family.

Since my retirement I have reinvented myself. I am a yoga instructor half way through 200hour training program, I play golf and tennis, I am on three non profit boards, serve as a volunteer, spend hours babysitting grandchildren and spend as much time out doors as possible. I am still building my social group that I felt I missed out on during my working career. It takes effort.

My journey with AL is not so much quanity as frequency. I was drinking about 15 a week before finding MWO. I went 18 days Af from advice of Sunbeam and loved how I felt. I started again because I missed it in social situations with friends and occasionally by myself at home with wife. I started again three weeks ago and have kept it to about ten a week taking two or three days off. Other than occasionally not sleeping well after drinking there have been no hangovers or other negatives. I always eat and drink lots of water when having AL.

My reason for being in long term mods is connect to people that have been and are where I am. It is good to know how you all handle the problems of drinking more than you want or should. I look forward to getting to know all of you better and to keep Al in control together. I continue to post on drinktracker daily.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Great post MG72...

It is always good to get the background story with members of the thread. It puts us each into perspective and makes us more real....I think it helps us to understand each others particular successes (and failures). Well done with the reassessing and reinvention of your life post retirement.

And great results so far too with the modding, which is I guess here the biggy!

Love MOo

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hello Everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving...
                              I'm ridiculously busy cooking and cleaning and trying to include the kids in it all in a positive way. So I don't have the time to respond to everyone, but I'm thinking of all of you, and want you to know that my friends at MWO are one of the things I'll be saying thanks for tomorrow. Best wishes to all...Back soon.
                              Sara
                              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi guys thought it was about time I popped my head back in and said hello. Thank you all for your kind words. Well I am back in the saddle and feeling very good again on day 8 AF. It has been pretty easy going tbh which is a relief because I hear tell of people who slip and just end up worse than ever in a very short space of time. I suppose all the hours spent reading and posting and learning lessons must count for something, plus of course the fantastic support system. Anyhow be good guys and if you cant be good be careful
                                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
                                X