Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad November 09

Emmy;762960 wrote:

Sara .. you sound like you have everything under control ~ I just like you , AL isn't an issue for me either , I don't think about it ..
    Em

Hey everyone,
    Emmy I'd been meaning to respond to this, feeling that it wouldn't be honest of me to let it go...I never meant to imply that alcohol isn't an issue for me. When things are going well it doesn't seem so important; and sometimes I feel the urge to make it clear (mostly to myself) that my drinking had not quite gotten to the train-wreck stage. But I don't want to minimize, either. It has most definitely been a problem. I've used it for "medicating" my anxiety and depression/irritablitiy way too many times. I may not have gone so far as to down two big bottles of wine or a bottle of vodka, but I have pushed the limit and gotten too buzzed, too often.

I had been feeling pretty confident and sure of myself. I stopped taking L-Glut, partly because I read somewhere that it causes weight gain, and I've been struggling to take off my "last 5 pounds". So after initially thinking I'd be AF yesterday, for Thanksgiving, I ended up having four glasses of wine, over about six hours...But the first three were within a two hour period. I wasn't happy yesterday. We only had my brother in law for the day, and he's a rather bitter, cynical guy. I made a feast all by myself...Something I was prepared to do - but I wasn't prepared for how lonely I would feel. It wasn't the work I objected to, it was spending hours in the kitchen alone. I involved my boys a little, but they soon got bored and headed for the TV. Hubby and his brother sat around talking in the other room, and I just felt so down, wishing I had my sister, brother, mom, a friend...anyone to laugh with and cook with. By 2:00 I'd tried putting on xmas music, was trying to feel festive, but couldn't shake the lonely feeling. That's when I poured myself a glass of wine, thinking that maybe it would lighten my mood. It did a little. But then, predictably, one led to another and by the time we sat down to eat I was buzzed and "feeling no pain". I guess that was the goal. I regret that I couldn't find a way to enjoy myself without it. Or perhaps the key would have been to just accept that I wasn't going to enjoy myself or
    to drink. Is enjoying oneself always to be expected on a holiday?

Anyway, today my sister and her daughters come for the weekend, so the real festivities begin.

Ktab, good for you for getting back on track and doing 8 (9?) days! That's great! After this weekend I will do an AF stretch, too. Tonight my limit will be two glasses, and tomorrow, too. I'll take the L-Glut today. After all, drinking has got to cause more weight gain than L-Glut ever could, right?

Wow...Long one. Sorry. Best to all.
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hey Mod Squad...Where is everyone?
      Just checking in to see how you all are, but there's no sign of it!

I'm modding okay this weekend...Last night I had the interesting experience of having two glasses of wine and feeling very much done. I was just getting myself a glass of water to have with dinner when I saw that my sister had poured herself and me each a third glass of wine and put it on the table. The "problem drinker" in me said, "oh well, she already poured it...she's having another, it would make her uncomfortable if I didn't drink it...yada yada yada. In hindsight I realize that I could have:

a.) left it untouched and not said a word, but discreetly poured it out when I cleared the table.

b.) said, "oh, I've had enough, thanks...I'm starting to get sleepy" and removed it from my place so I wouln't be tempted.

c.) said, "oh, you know me and my rules...Just two!"

So, next time I'll do one of those things. Last night I drank a glass of wine I didn't even want, and I woke at 3 am, a little anxious and sleepless.

Ah well...I'm off to church. (I like saying that, because it's so new to me!)

Happy Sunday
      Sara
      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Sarasmiles;766720 wrote: Hey Mod Squad...Where is everyone?
        Just checking in to see how you all are, but there's no sign of it!

I'm modding okay this weekend...Last night I had the interesting experience of having two glasses of wine and feeling very much done. I was just getting myself a glass of water to have with dinner when I saw that my sister had poured herself and me each a third glass of wine and put it on the table. The "problem drinker" in me said, "oh well, she already poured it...she's having another, it would make her uncomfortable if I didn't drink it...yada yada yada. In hindsight I realize that I could have:

a.) left it untouched and not said a word, but discreetly poured it out when I cleared the table.

b.) said, "oh, I've had enough, thanks...I'm starting to get sleepy" and removed it from my place so I wouln't be tempted.

c.) said, "oh, you know me and my rules...Just two!"

So, next time I'll do one of those things. Last night I drank a glass of wine I didn't even want, and I woke at 3 am, a little anxious and sleepless.

Ah well...I'm off to church. (I like saying that, because it's so new to me!)

Happy Sunday
        Sara
        I think this board is great not only for the support, but for the opportunity to do what you just did in your post...be honest with yourself...be honest with ourselves! Good work! Not only in this post but the previous, you're obviously doing alot of introspection.:goodjob:

I am happy with my success with my modding effort thus far. I had a small cheat last night...had a second glass(5oz) of wine, which brought my weekly total up to eight instead of 7, but I am not going to beat myself up over it either. We are having a BD party for my Step daughter tonight & we will have wine with dinner as well, but it is a new week, but I will be AF Mon thru Friday. This is so much of an improvement over the daily drinking of 3 or 4 8oz glasses of wine which was my habit prior to MWO, that I am so very happy. I am sleeping SO MUCH better & am down 7# in 3 1/2 weeks.

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

My brother and family just left after being with us last four days. Our thanksgiving holiday was fun but busy. We had 39 family members at our house last night from 2 to 92 years old. We enjoy our family but I wish AL was not always a part of us being together. I had drinks every night they were here and ended up with 14 for the week. That is more than I want or need. Being under 10 is a good place for me. As you all say we need not beat ourselves up over not having discipline we need at times with AL. As I look at week coming up we have only one social outing planed. I am determined to stay under 10 drinks this week.

Sara and Rejuv, I understand your frustration with overding AL at times. It takes a plan and I need one this week. KTAB, congratulations on being 8 days AF. I went 18 days in October and into this month. I felt great overall during the time. Maybe I will do AF again if I don't keep under my goals for drinks.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hey, the Squad is back!

It is difficult for me and probably the rest of you to post over a holiday. Often either you are a guest or have some guests, which limits one's ability to post.

Sara, good for you to develop new strategies from a mistake. It is a great way to learn. I hope you continue to find comfort in your church experience. I do. I especially enjoy singing in the choir. I also enjoy participating in the larger missions of the church, improving the world in a small way through the efforts of a larger group. The people are imperfect, like everywhere, but looking to improve themselves at some level.

MG72 and Rejuv, I think that going over usual limits may always be part of the holiday experience. I drank three days in a row, which I otherwise never do. With guests in the house, there will be wine with dinner at our house. But I resisted the urge yesterday after they left. Today and the forseeable future will also be AF. I still have a goal of 50% AF weekends. I currently plan to stay AF for the first two weeks of December. I miss using Drink Tracker, but feel I need to develop the strength of limiting alcohol without this tool.

Take care, all
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Evening modders, all is well in KTAB-land. Sunday evening here and although I know it is only a week and a half or so I would have to check to know what day AF I am at. I consider that a good thing, probably means I am comfortable where I find myself again and am not thinking about AL at all.
              Now then last night I had an indian meal planned and I fancied the taste of a beer but I really didnt want any alcohol, I know that might sound strange to some people who would probably assume I am in denial or something. Anyway I bought two bottles of Paulander AF wheat beer and that just hit the spot nicely. No cravings, no feeling of oh why cant I have an ordinary beer. I had tried a few different ones of these some time ago and they range from awful to good, this particular one is excellent and might be worth trying for those ocassions.
              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Mod Squad November 09

Hi Everyone

Sara , I know what you mean , I never meant to imply that AL isn't an issue for you ~ sorry didn't mean for it to sound that way .. :l I don't know how to describe my relationship with AL right now , its like it was when I decided to quit smoking , I just don't have any desire~ I hope I continue to feel this way . I'm really sorry if I minimized your feelings , that was not my intention:l

Hello Mod Squad ~ Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to Christmas now , I started shopping in October , crowded stores give me anxiety, only a few more gifts to go andd I'll be done. Well , I'm off for my walk . Stay well :h Em
                Non Drinker 9/09
                Non Smoker 6/09
                Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Working...
                X