Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad December 09

Checking in

Stopping by to say Hi. I've had trouble getting on the site from my regular email. Looks like I'll need to read Nov. thread to see how everyone is doing. Seems there are lots of changes on the boards . .. Subs is a new group.

Sara, Eve and DeeBee Sunshine and other friends: Sorry I haven't been around much. I'm coming back to Drink Tracker again since without that accountability I've been drinking more than I want to/should. I've also been slowing adding a pound or two a month - so back to Jenny Craig, but also have to cut way back on drinking. I've done this before and have to do it again!!

Hope to see you guys around in this forum ...
    Fondly,

Ask

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

AskForHelp,
      So good to hear from you! It is great that MWO is here when we need it. You will always be considered a friend.

We haven't had much snow yet, but my bike is tucked away now in the back corner of the garage. It is mostly too cold to ride.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Sun: Nice to see you!

I bought a Kinetic trainer (that adapts your outdoor bike to an indoor trainer) so I can try to make up for my lack of riding this summer. The bike is next to me here in the living room so I can do 30 min / day while I read or watch TV . .. and yet I don't. It's all "part of the plan" which I'm trying to re-commit to.

Will let you know how it goes :-)

Ask

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Hi Mod Squad!

DeeBee you asked about the Topa, Mr Rejuve & I are at 100 mg & holding. Each time we bumped up the dose the brain fog, would get a little worse for a day or two...for me that meant sometimes word finding was a little slow, or when working on a computer sometimes trying to remember a particular function key....if I hadn't read about the side effects it might have been scary, but after a day or two...I would usually adjust until the next bump in dosage. Coffee helped. The adrafinil also helped. I also have found spreading the dosage out over the day has helped. I start with 25 mg about noon....take another 50mg about 2:30 or 3 & then the last 25mg 4:40 or 5.... that way the first half of my work day I don't have much topa in my system...& less brain fog. The other side effect has been dry mouth.

Rejuve.

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

It's Monday morning and FINALLY the sun is out.. YAY!
            The weekend was hectic with me hosting out book club Xmas party on our new deck and then a bunch of friends came around for snacks on Sat night... needless to say I'm looking forward to some quiet time this week.
            I also found out this weekend that my BF is pregnant again. I had extremely mixed feelings when she told me as her drinking has been spiraling out of control this year but after giving it some thought and chatting to her about it, I think this pregnancy is a true blessing. I'm looking forward to us spending lots of time together over the next 7 months without AL being involved.

It was wonderful to log on this morning and see posts from Ask, Lena and Sara!!

Welcome home Eve!! I'm very much in the same boat as you when it comes to maintaining my Mod Goals -- for me the key is to "keep getting up again"!!

Mario!! Of course you are welcome to post here. You are a true inspiration and often give amazing advice

Thanks Rejuve for the advice on Topa -- I am definetly going to see my Doc this week and hopefully she'll give me a script for it again. I think it's wonderful that you and Mr Rejuve are doing it together!!

Hi KTAB, Sun, Emmy and anyone I've forgotten.... I hope you all have a wonderful Monday:-)
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Good morning Mods,
              A thread on long term mods listed as "survey of success" is worth reading if you have not already done so. There is survey on second page that Eve11 posted. It allows us to gage our AL dependency level. I scored a nine that says I have low addiction but border line on moderate. This was a good snapshot for me to see where I am and where I want to go. I would like to not drink but don't think it is right for me because of social network with family and friends. The key for me is to keep it moderate with specific goals of under ten a week and never go over three on any night. I would like to be where Sunshine is as she scored a two after previously being an eight. I like to goal of lowering my score which can be done by hitting my weekly and daily consumption in prior sentence.

I read with interest comments on this thread about importance of exercise with our overall health. I agree with an exclamation mark about how important consistent exercise is to physical and mental health. I have posted before how much yoga benefits anyone. I am an instructor and have practiced for about six years. I started at 53 years old and have never felt stronger, more flexible and am now completely pain free. The benefits to our immune system are well documented along with other physical and emotional gains. Attending classes reguarly are also a good social connection with people that are usually motivated and enjoyable. I have posted this before but no long mods have commented. I hope at least one of you will give this a shot and let us know what you think. The first time I went to a class I was lost and extremely tight but felt so much better physcially and mentally afterwards I have practiced ever since. I have been teaching for about six months and have completed 150 hours of a 200 hour program to become a Registered Yoga Teacher. I could give you all kind of reasons why yoga is superior to biking, hiking, sports, weights, etc. but have written enough for now. I also play tennis, golf and hike but yoga is key to allowing to do all other sports that I want.

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

mg72;771201 wrote: I have posted this before but no long mods have commented. I hope at least one of you will give this a shot and let us know what you think. The first time I went to a class I was lost and extremely tight but felt so much better physcially and mentally afterwards I have practiced ever since. I have been teaching for about six months and have completed 150 hours of a 200 hour program to become a Registered Yoga Teacher. I could give you all kind of reasons why yoga is superior to biking, hiking, sports, weights, etc. but have written enough for now. I also play tennis, golf and hike but yoga is key to allowing to do all other sports that I want.
                Well maybe you've found one...no promises...but maybe
                I did yoga several decades ago...thought about it again from time to time...have even tried it a time or two again...but was so tight and bound up...felt it was hopeless & gave up before I ever really gave it a chance...but now that I have my evenings back & a brand new rec center ( well almost brand new ... it's a couple of years old now) down the street....maybe it's time to try it again. Mr Rejuve & I go there several morning a week for our cardio & strength training, but I need another social outlet anyway as my best friend is lost to Alzheimers....& I am need of finding new girl friends to pal around with.

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

MG72, Yoga has definitely contributed to my fitness. I need to do a lot of different kinds of things, because my orthopedic system is not great: I had a spinal fusion for scoliosis when I was 12 years old. So yoga is included in the routine I follow 2-3 days per week. On the other days I swim, ride a bike (in or outdoors), walk, work in the garden or snowshoe. I have taken 6-week yoga classes the past two summers. I particularly enjoy the book Yoga for Arthritis by Ellen Saltonstall, and the author's use of various size balls for self-massage. I have twice attended a workshop conducted by Ellen. During my first classes I was surprised by how much strengthening yoga offers, not just stretching.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Hiya Squad,

Well the temperature is reaching the high 30's today and honestly it's a chore just to think it's so humid so I'm taking it easy and also trying to drink lots of water today. Greenie has posted an interesting thread on WATER which reminded me just how essential it is to our well being.

MG, I joined a yoga class at the beginning of the year -- put the money I used to spend on twaks to good use. Unfortunately when my Dad had two heart attacks AND we started renovations on the house I stopped going. I have done many different sports in my life and have always been pretty active until AL really got a hold on me 5 years ago -- yoga has been the ONLY form of exercise that truly excites me and calms me all in one.
                    I must join again and really there is just NO excuse not to.

All this talk of exercise reminds me of Moo's belly dancing classes -- where's Moo?? Anyone heard from her?

Rejuv, I am so sorry to hear about your BF. My experience with Alzheimers is limited but my Boss' Mom has it and i can see just how devastating it is on the family. Kudo's to you for getting out there and making new friends!!

Sun, I so admire you!! You really are LIVING the Mod life.

Anyhoo, I'm off to fetch the daughter from school -- she wrote her last exam today so the rest of the week is just "play time" till break up on Friday.

Have a wonderful day guys and gals
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

[QUOTE=DeeBee;771814]Hiya Squad,

Well the temperature is reaching the high 30's today and honestly it's a chore just to think it's so humid so I'm taking it easy and also trying to drink lots of water today. .......

Rejuv, I am so sorry to hear about your BF. My experience with Alzheimers is limited but my Boss' Mom has it and i can see just how devastating it is on the family. Kudo's to you for getting out there and making new friends!!

QUOTE]

I assume if you're HOT that must be high 30's centigrade?? 'Caus...in the states 30's would still be cold high 30's or not:H....however it is REALLY COLD HERE....& I am having a hard time staying warm even with the fireplace going it's only 6 degrees (farenheight) ...& it's only going to get to 9 degree for high today. Luckily I work from home & don't have to go out in the s***!

Yeah Alzheimer's is a really shitty disease....I went through alot of the stages you go through with when someone is dying... because it's the death of the personality of the person you've come to know & love. Her soul & essence is still there ...& her old personality even comes shining thru momentarily every now & then ...although less & less often now. She is in stage 6 of 7 stages... so far she recognizes me still. There was a day when she woke up & didn't recognize her husband though that was a scary day. I pick her up & take her to church on the Sundays when she wants to go which is less & less often and sometimes we go out to lunch. There are days when she won't even get out of bed.
                      She has always been such a sweet & giving person and now I see this paranoid and mean personality starting to creep in a take over...she doesn't trust her husband alot of the time... and he is such a devoted and loving man. It just isn't fair. :no:

Rejuve:

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Hey Gang,

Well, my FIL had his first chemo yesterday and so far no side effects other than being in a foul mood which is understandable. I just wished they lived closer to us or one of the kids so that we could help out a bit but unfortunately they are hours away from any of us on the farm.

Tonight is my company's Xmas dinner which I'm not looking forward to at all -- there is anomosity between the partners as they are splitting up in the new year and the wives have got their claws out. (sigh) it should be a long evening.

Hope everyone is meeting their goals:-)

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Hi Mods hope today finds everyone well.
                          MG & Sun, I am putting yoga down on my to do list for the new year I think. Currently swim 3-4 and gym 1-2 times a week plus dogs taken to the beach and forrest. I have to say I never realised how much of a help exercise would be when I began this journey. I had been a couch potatoe for many years, but not any more.
                          Rej I also wish it was warmer, into double figures would be nice here, never mind 30. Cold and damp again today but my mood is the opposite. I cant imagine how heartbreaking it must be to see a loved one with altzhiemers.
                          Hi DeeBee sorry to hear of all the strife at the moment, cant imagine tonight is going to help any. Any chance of being called away early by a phone call? I am also going out to Christmas party tonight and I have decided to have two glasses of wine and then switch to water. Report to follow tomorrow. Be carefull out there everyone.
                          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Morning Squad

I'd even settle for yesterdays nine degrees now ...it's a very BITTER minus 16 this morning BRRRRRR !! Ktab...love the addition of the Santa hat...a very Merry Christmas too ...or as I learned yesterday..mele kalikimaka...which is the same in Hawaiian...which is where Mr Rejuve & I will be on Christmas with the two kids ( or I guess they are young adults) & given the weather here & I can't wait!... well gotta get to work.

Have a good day everyone...

Rejuve

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

Good morning again Mods,
                              When I posted my comments on yoga benefits a couple of days ago I was kind of concerned how you would respond. It is good to know that Sunbeam reflects my life sytle as far as yoga is important part of exercise and stress release. Rejuv and DeBee I hope you do start again, I know other things get in way sometimes. KTAB, I hope you can give yoga a try, it sounds like your excercise routine is very strong and yoga would enhance it.

Sorry to hear of DeBee's FIL cancer treatments. We just went through this with my MIL. I listened to two doctors yesterday on National Public Radio that discussed cancer prevention. They listed not smoking, stay thin(under 25 BMI), consistent exercise program, eat 5-8 servings a day of fruits and vegetable and Al moderation or abstention as best life style to prevent disease.

My weather report from Kansas is 13 degrees Far. with strong north winds. It is good day to stay inside and get caught up on stuff.

I hope all have a good day.

Comment

Mod Squad December 09

I am still alive!

Hey Squad..

Havent been on for quite a while...not for any bad reason....just really busy, then got out of the habit and just sort of plodding along without. I think of you guys a lot...I also noticed the squad was more sparseley polulated nowadays...I havent assisted that.

Thanks for after asking after me DEEBS...that is why I am posting. I just read through the December thread, then saw that and thought I should write.

All is great on the mod front. No problems. I dont currently feel the need to keep using drink tracker...keep a mental note anyway. I am just getting on with life normally and its all fine. BUT I MISS THE SQUAD as it was.....few special favourites, you know who you are.

Love to all Moo x
                                "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                                but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Working...
                                X