New Year: January 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi KTAB and Modders one and All! Sounds like a good plan, KTAB. Taking stretches AF always helps me get my head back in order, and it reminds me of how good it feels not to drink every night!

I'm on day 5 here, and feeling really good. I'm eating nothing but nourishing, real food, walking with my dog, and doing my pilates. I can stay up later, sleep better, and have more energy all day long. Of course, I've "discovered" this phenomenon many times before, and yet it always feels like a bit of a surprise. I did have a fleeting thought of wanting a glass of red wine with dinner tonight, but I took a moment to think of the difference between how I've felt the last few days and how I felt a week ago, and I didn't really want it anymore. I find that sometimes I can almost capture a memory of the slightly woozy, tired, hung-over feeling I've had so many times, and that helps me choose not to drink.

I'm still not saying never again, though. Maybe that's nuts.

How's everybody else doing???
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hello Modders...Anybody out there?

I know we have a few people doing 30 days AF. How's it going?

I'm hanging in there, in spite of a return of marital stress. My husband is having problems at work, and he seems depressed. He's drinking 2-3 drinks each night. I find it hard...Not just struggling with whether or not to talk more with him about it than I have, but also to cope with this frustrated feeling, watching him do something that I know is making his moods worse. I'm going to try and stay AF for a while...keep my head straight and figure out how to help him, if I can.

Hope all are well.
      Sara
      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hey Sara and any lurkers,
        Yup, I'm out there. Doing fine, I really had no urge to drink last weekend. Life sure does have its up and down, doesn't it?

I am into the routines of my busiest work time of year. Indoors I'm catching up on lots of little things, and enjoying various creative crafts. We began talking today about this year's possible home improvement project, our downstairs bathroom. Our house is 40 years old, and I think everything in that room is original. Ya think it's time?

I will be watching and hoping that others check in.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hello modders, I am still around. Day 13 on my AF stint. Had a craving out of the blue the other day but rode it out. If I cant commit to doing 30 days at this stage and sticking to it then I feel I would need to reassess everything.
          Hi Sara it sounds tough for you at the moment I wish you strength and hope things improve. I know there were times when I just didnt want DW to point out my drinking and if anything it was counter productive, so choose your timing. But you probably know that.
          Hey Sunbeam glad you are doing fine. I reckon if you wait till next year your room will be back in vogue
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi all,
            I'm hanging in there. Not keeping to my goals well at all this month of January. Have been under a lot of stress at work & actually interviewed somewhere else (My 24 year anniversary with my company is tomorrow!). So that was major!!

Anyway, have decided to stay put and follow the advice of: Be the change you want to see in the world. I know I can't change who some of the difficult work people are in my life but I can change how I react to them so I'll be working on that for awhile. The downside to work stress is I like to escape by having a few glasses of wine at home but home drinking doesn't work well for me as I keep going back to the bottle for "just one more!".

Hoping to get back on track - have to remember that tomorrow is a new day!!
            Hugs,
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Checking In

Good to see everyone on this thread.

Sounds like we're all trying our best. A new year is good for that. I've had some successes and 2 days I had drinks at home despite the "none of that" policy. But I really wanted some wine and didn't feel like going out, or spending that $$. I'm going to have to be diligent to hit my goal of 21 or 22 days AF for the month.

Am doing well on the 30 day challenge. Lots of Wii, yoga and XC skiing. Haven't lost an ounce! Don't think I've conquered or solved for the "alternative carb craving" on AF nights. Ohhh but those desserts have been tasting good.

Exciting news today is I got a Blackberry for work. It's been fun tonight to try it out. My 15 y/o daughter returns tomorrow evening, at which time I'm sure I'll be fully "trained" on the device !! lol

Keep up the good work everyone. Its a good fight were fighting!

Fondly,

Ask

Comment

A belated Happy new year friends!!

Forgive me for not reading before posting but I am pressed for time and wanted to check in. We are back from our holiday on the Wild Coast and although most of the family are now down with a horrible "bug" we are all well rested and ready to face the challenges ahead.

Hope you are all fighting the good fight:-)

Love
                D
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hey Everyone!
                  Great to see you all.

KTAB, thanks for the kinds words, and good going on sticking with your 30 day plan. It's a good point...If we make a commitment like that at this point, and can't stick with it, we may need to reevaluate once again. I had said 21 days last week, but Sunday I had several (okay, 4) glasses of wine. I can rationalize it a million ways... I was AF Monday and Tuesday and feel really good today. Day 3 is usually when I start to soar. For me, going AF is like going on an anti-depressant that works fast. I feel it kick in on day 3, and as long as I don't drink I generally continue to feel pretty good.

Eve, sweetie...So glad to see your post. I'm sorry things haven't been going great. You can and will get back on track. Call me anytime if you want to chat.

Hi DeeBee, I'm always so relieved to hear from you. You were, of course, one of the first people I met at MWO, and you represent comfort and familiarity to me that I cherish.

Ask, congrats on all the exercise. It's frustrating when the scale doesn't budge, but you're still doing wonderful things for your body and yourself. Have you tried L-Glut or 5htp for carb cravings? I think both help, although since I take both, I guess it could be just one of them that's doing it. Also, I find that having really good low-carb food around helps...Special cheeses from Trader Joe's, nuts (although they have a lot of calories) and homemade soups made mostly from vegies. Good luck!

Sunbeam, you sound good. I love home improvement projects. We can't afford to do much right now, but even re-arranging the furniture gives me a kick! Our house just turned 200 years old! Of course the original features are the best ones of all.

Okay, off to work for a while. Love and good wishes to all.
                  Sara

Comment

DEE BEE!!!!

Just a quick hello to say:

How nice to see that ostrich face of Dee Bees. Welcome back and I look forward to hearing about your travels.

Thanks Sara. I started to look for the L-Glut around the house the other day and got sidetracked. Good reminder.

Off to present to the "Big Boys" at work today. Looking forward to it, actually. I give good meeting lol.

Ask

Comment

Hi Friends,
                      Deebs, so glad to see you back.

Sara, glad you are doing well. Alcohol really is stupid juice. We feel better without it, but we keep being lured back.

Ask, exercise in the winter is available, just you have to want it more. I haven't been XC skiing yet, but I have been out with the dog on my snow shoes several times. I do a 40 minute loop out through the fields behind my yard, onto a public trail.

Eve, I have always been happier with my current job after interviewing elsewhere. I still might get a part-time job around the middle of this year, but the economy has currently halted approvals of new positions, including the one for which I interviewed in November.

KTAB, your comment about my bathroom made me laugh! I'm not passing that thought along to my husband though. He is not a home improvement guy, he hates the disruption in his peaceful life.

So the news on my end is that I have new resolve for even less drinking. Once weekly was OK for awhile, but then it turned into every weekend, which I never wanted. Not generally excessive, but it was still hard to get out of my head at times. So my special occasions will just be dinner out, a gathering with friends, having friends over. Excluded will be dinner at home with my husband, and definitely not alone, which was sometimes happening. I need to be in change, not the stupid juice. We are probably talking once or twice per month. I had always wanted to be at that level, but I never got there on a long-term basis. I don't want to drink often enough that I would need to use Drink Tracker to remember.

OK, I'm off on the snowshoes!
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Ask, I love your idea of a 30 day exercise challenge -- how is it going? Are you doing the same exercise each day or varying it?
                        I've been wanting to ask you, how is your daughter?

Beth, I am so sorry about hubby's health and I agree with you that diabetes can be managed with a healthy diet. Funny how I too battle to focus on more than one thing at a time. At the moment I have so many things that are demanding my atttention that sometimes I just feel overwhelmed.
                        My FIL has just been for his second round of chemo, a much more aggressive one too and is feeling quite a lot of pain in his joints but refuses to slow down which has my poor MIL worried.

My biggest worry is my DH has sold his shares of the company and finishes work at the end of Jan and is planning on taking 3 months off to figure out what his next venture is going to be. Very exciting but nerve-wracking at the same time. Unfortunately we didn't get as much for the share as we hoped because of the economy last year so all the "big" ideas have been shelved for now.

MG, I was just reading over your goals for 2010 and think that they are spot on!! Hope you are enjoying your vacation time:-)

Sara, I really admire you for doing a "financial fast". How is it going? Are you finding it difficult not to buy those little extras?
                        I am going to look out for "In defence of food" the next time I'm at the book store.

(((Sun))) A new bathroom is great fun to decorate and shop for -- have you decided when to start yet?

Eve, sorry to hear about the work stress -- 24 years!! WOW!! A belated congrats on your anniversary. Did the company buy you a lovely gift to celebrate?

KTAB, good going on your 30 day challenge. I did see a thread in Subs but haven't had time to read through it all yet. I do agree with you that if we can't manage 30 days then we need to rethink our plan -- me included!!!

Hi Em and all lurkers:-)

Right, well that's enough dibble from me for one day. The sun is shinning and I only go back to work on Monday when the daughter starts school again so the two of us are going to pack a picnic and head off to the pool for the day to work on our tans.

Love to all
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I love reading the posts here as it helps me in my battle to keep focused,keep up the great work everyone.odaat

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Mario, thanks for your acknowledgement that controlling drinking is hard work, even harder than quitting. Mostly when AF people post in this section, it is to say that moderating can't work, "for hardly anyone" was a recent post. I have come to the understanding that many AF people have to convince themselves that this is the truth, because they can't go down that road. But those posts are demoralizing, make me feel like we are nobodies. So thanks very much. We truly are working to improve are lives, many with significant success.

Comment

mario;790224 wrote: I love reading the posts here as it helps me in my battle to keep focused,keep up the great work everyone.odaat
                              Your support is always appreciated here Mario -- thanks for the lovely post and again Congrats on a year AF -- you rock!!!:goodjob:

Comment

Oh, I just spotted your signature....

Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat
                                Well said!!

Comment

Working...
                                X