Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Febuary Thread!

Sarah,

Love it!! It's so great to wake up after a great night's sleep and I believe even 1 drink interferes with sleep.

I am shocked when I look at facebook at some of my friends from high school who I know are bad drinkers. They have puffy faces, splotchy complexions and look 7-10 years older than I do!!

I believe it's so true about the long term effects of drinking. The studies are probably pretty accurate so if one did drink daily - they could safely really only do 1 to not have some of the harmful effects to skin, organs, etc.

For me - I'd rather sit and relax and enjoy a drink over a good conversation. So weeknights with kids, helping with homework, discussing life, etc. just doesn't work with having that drink.

My next goal is to drink less overall. 7 weekly is probably too much as that article stated. 3-4 would be a nice new goal for me to try to achieve.

Just thoughts for now. No AL for me tonight either so join me others if you care to.

Oh...and a warm :welcome: to Maia and a shout out to Sunbeam - haven't talked to you for a while but you are one of my cyber buddies!!
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

no AL for me tonight either ...it's the witching hour right now though....ugh.
      off to drink a pellegrino!

Comment

Thank you!!!!

I was nervous about writing last night! But after reading today's posts i feel great abou it! i was happy to read Sarasmile writing that I sound like a good candidate for modding! i certaintly hope so! although im not sure. I drank about twice a week, but I ALWAYS overdrank, and that's what I need to control. I didnt drink last night and Im not drinking tonight. Tomorrow night I have dinner with friends and Im a little scared. I think i'll wait a little more before having a drink, I dont feel ready to start modding just yet, so I think Ill just say im taking antibiotics or something as they will be very confused if I dont order my first drink as soon as we get there!

Thnak you Sunbean for showing me where to find the drink trancker, Im going to try it to see if thge preasure helps....

And Eve, I agree that one drink interfers a lot with your drink! In my case, one or two drinks make me wake up in the middle pf the night! When I have the entire bottle I sleep better, of course I wake up feeling HORRIBLE which is sooooooo much worse, but I dont wake up in the middle of the night.

Ok, I have to take my kids to bed.... It is great talking to all of you!

PS: im sorry about my English and spelling, English is not my first Language

Comment

Eve11,

I just read you post about avoiding temptation. Wow, Thank you So much for that! I think Im going to print it out and have it handy everytime I go out or think of having a drink. I will try to apply all the concepts there and I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, you mentioned the supplements and L-Glu.. something, is it really worth trying?? I dont need help for the cavings when I dont drink, but i would love something to help craving after that first drink!!!

Good night

Comment

Maia,
            I do believe that the L Glut really helps folks. I have a bottle myself and I've found that the times I don't drink the way I want to (within my limits), I have always not taken a pill. A lot of folks have luck with kudzu as well and there's lots of info on both here. Look for a thread with the title of one or the other and you'll find lots of good info. I know I have one over on the Research forum.

Your English is very good so don't feel the need to apologize. I only wish I could speak a second language.

My youngest was very defiant tonight and the thought did cross my mind of "Wouldn't it be nice to have a drink when he goes to bed!" but with waiting it out the urge does pass and with thinking about how that's such NOT a good idea for me because if I open a bottle of wine I'm too tempted to have 2... so I'm drinking cranberry and seltzer and will be very happy to post 0 on the drinktracker tonight.

Good night friends and lurkers
            :l
            Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I love spoonding my hubby Sara! Unfortunately in this heat it doesn't happen very often:-(

Maia, I used the "I'm on antibiotics" excuse many a time until I was comfortable enough to just say NO THANKS I'm not drinking tonight. Good on you for having a plan for when you have dinner out with your friends -- that is very important.

Well, I'm feeling very proud of myself for getting back on the exercise wagon -- I even dug out the iPod and filled it with tunes to motivate me. It's easy to exercise whilst I'm working from home the test will be to keep it up from next week when i have to travel into work.

The plan is: to walk twice a week on the mornings that I'll be working from home and then once a week I'll meet my friend at the public pool for a swim and then twice a week run in the afternoon with the daughter.
              Next month I'll join my yoga class again which I'm looking forward to.

What form of exercise does everyone else do??
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I do much more walking since Woodstock the spaniel arrived last year! I also run during the spring/summer (or whatever passes for that in the UK) - try to do 5km twice a week. I really begrudge paying the huge amounts they want to go to a gym around these parts and as we're in the countryside walking and jogging are free and enjoyable. My balance is rubbish so kept falling around at yoga and giggling..... which doesn't help the others in the group!!! Won't go again.

Day 3 for me today which is what I need to be doing each week - had got into the habit of nightly half bottles of wine +++ after Christmas.

Luv to all
                Bx

Comment

Good morning everyone!

Dee, I love to walk - clears the head - but honestly can't say when the last time was that I took a walk without already having a buz! I know - that's terrible. I would drink every night (usually 4-6 glasses of wine). I tried moderation (2 glasses a night) - still didn't like the way I was feeling so I'm back to AF (3 days under my belt). Started the L-Glutamine and have to say that I haven't had the cravings at night that I normally do. I would still love to be able to moderate - just not sure if I'm ready for it yet. Since I live in the US (east coast), it is still too cold to walk outside right now! (just got another 3 inches of snow last night with more predicted for the weekend).

Welcome Maia - so glad you are here!

Eve - thanks for your wonderful advice the other day -it was truly helpful.

Sara - sounds like you and I might have a lot in common. It's so assuring to know that there are people out there with the same problems as me!

Letgo - Good for you! What the heck is a pellegrino?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Y'all have me wondering now...I wonder what was REALLY going on when friends of mine have said they were on antibiotics in the past hmmm ALSO, I always thought it was crazy, cause i DRANK on antibiotics!! LOL
                    anyway, I may find myself using that excuse sometime soon!

I exercise VERY inconsistently. I so want to get into a habit of walking daily and maybe a little weight lifting, but i can never stick to it. hmm...do i see a pattern?

jolie...pellegrino is my NEW habit...it's really good mineral water(fizzy). I buy the small one serving bottles, which are SO cute. I usually pour it in my wine glass if I have had wine before. It keeps me from having another glass of wine, and turns a little wine color from the residue at the bottom of the glass. When i'm AF, i drink it from the bottle cause it's so cute

Comment

Morning all,
                      Always feels good to start the day with a clear head - No drinking since Sat. night for me so guess I'm on day 3/4 - however one counts that. Do have a "girl" party tonight and the hostess likes her wine so I'm sharing this with all of you to stay strong as I don't want to be posting 2/3 on the DT!!

I'm a bit inconsistent with my exercise program as well. Do belong to a gym and try to make it at least twice a week with yoga on Fridays which I haven't done in the longest time and need to!! We have a dog we walk 3/4 mile when the weather permits and I walk a lot at work so my weight is pretty good although I'd like to be 10lbs lighter so I'm working on that as well.

I love the sparkling waters as well...pellegrino is very similar to perrier. Sometimes I just go the cheap route and buy club soda because I mix a little lite cranberry juice into it and it pretty much tastes the same as the more expensive stuff. A real refreshing drink is just plain water with sliced cucumbers!!

I do the wine glass trick as well. I think drinking has always been more of the social aspect that I like - wine glass in hand, etc. So, I do find the non-al in the wine glass works wonders for me.

We're going to a football party this Sunday (football and beer seem to go hand in hand) so I think I'll choose to bring O'Douls amber which I like very much and that gives me the feeling I'm still in with the crowd...but I'm really kind of faking it! LOL

Have a great day modders and lurkers.
                      Eve11

Comment

Hello Squad, and Lurkers/Friends,

You sound good, Eve. Do you mean that you won't have any wine tonight or you'll stick to one? Let us know how it goes. You've inspired me to pick up some good non-alcoholic drinks today. I like the O'doul's Amber, too. I'm on day 3 AF here, (had four glasses on Saturday - way too much...and 2 on Sunday.) I feel better already. I love the way I feel as though I'm healing when I don't drink...Mentally, emotionally, physically getting better with every AF day.

DeeBee, you asked about exercise. Your plan sounds excellent. I bring our dog along with us when I drive the kids to school every day, and then she and I drive to the state forest for a hike. We walk for about 30-40 minutes. I'm taking a Pilates class, which I love, but it's only once a week. Your question reminded me that I also used to do Pilates at home, along with a DVD, and I want to get back to that. Our gym also has a "tone and strengthen" class (I think it's light weights and lunges and such, plus core work). So my goal as if this writing is: daily walk, Pilates at home on Tuesday and Friday, Pilates class on Thursday and that tone and strengthen class on Monday and Wednesday. Weekends I try to get the whole family out to hike or play or sled. It's challenging, because it's been bitter cold here in New England...Down zero degrees over the weekend.

Sounds like we have a few "day 3/4 ers" here. Jolie, I still wonder at times if moderation is right for me, and I've been with the Mod Squad for quite a while. I question it most when I'm first doing an AF stint and feel so good...It makes me wonder why I don't just stick with it. But then I hear the siren call of wine, "just a glass or two...Just occasionally..." and I go back to it. I must say I haven't had a truly bad episode in at least a year - maybe two. But I have had evenings of 3, 4 or 5 instead of one or two, so I'm a work in progress.

Sorry to go on so long. I'm off to work, stopping for some O'doul's and some mineral water along the way. Plus a magazine. That's going to be my "witching hour" treat tonight.
                        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi Everybody,

Jolie, it sounds like you might be ready to do 30 days AF. There are many groups at MWO to join with that objective. It is a great way to learn to live without alcohol. Then it is a lot easier to drink moderately.

OK, my exercise: swim 40 min Mon and Fri, daily walks with dog at least 1/2 mile (unless wind chill is 0 or below), Tues/Thurs stretching and strengthening 25 min., Weds exercise bike 20 min. I walk up to 2 miles at work Mon - Fri. In better weather I ride my bike to work, on errands, and up to 2 hours just for fun.

Friday I will attend a memorial service for my friend who died at 39 due to breast cancer. Enjoy life while you can.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam,

Very sorry to hear about your friend. So hard - she was so young. I had a good friend who died of non-hodgkins lymphoma when she was very young too - only about 33 at the time. She died within 18 mos of her diagnosis. The saddest part was hearing her little boy crying for his mama at her funeral. I'll never forget that.

Very sorry for your loss. :-(
                            Eve11

Comment

Gang,
                              I did it! Kept to the one drink. Started with a non-al drink and leisurely enjoyed my one glass of wine while I browsed and chatted with my friend and met new women. When the glass was empty I kept thinking another would be nice but I was driving and only wanted to have the one so my body could process it before I drove home an hour later. So switched to non-al for the duration.

Crazy thing.

On my way home I passed a bar and happy hour was letting out. There were 2 near accidents from the people that were driving impaired. I was so glad I had had only the one and there's still slight impairment with even one so I was grateful time had passed so that I felt my reflexes were on target. Was behind a swerving car but could have over or under reacted when they swerved if I had drunk more.

If one of those real drunk drivers had hit me and my blood alcohol was taken I could still get a ticket in my state for being even a little impaired.

That's the risk I took with even one!

Anyway, home safe and sound and I have to thank my friends here because if I wasn't reporting my night to you I may not have kept to my guns.

Eve11

Comment

Yikes! It's good to read that...thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X