Mod Squad March Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad March Thread

We are leaving tomorrow morning. have to be at the airport by 5am, so im very busy getting everything ready but wanted to say a quick hello,

DeeBee, Im very sorry to hear things are so complicated for you right now. You sound like a very strong person. I hope this time of reflection brings peace and happiness to your life.

I'll be in touch when I get back next week!

Have a great week everyone!

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

One AF night down. That's a start. Planning another for Thurs night as well.
      Ask

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

DeeBee
        Sent you a p.m. hon.

Ask
        Thanks for sharing your plan...and a good plan it is.

Maia,
        Have a safe trip.

A little stress this evening. Lost two pet baby bunnies who slipped out of the cage. Found one and got so tired of looking for the 2nd one at night time with no success after a very long time. Hope the lost one will be hanging in the yard in the a.m. when it's bright and sunny and he's hungry. Boy...did the stress make me really want to have a glass of wine though. Took an L glut and just kept busy to pass the time so the urge would pass. Have to say the craving is still here big time but it's gotten very late now so I'm just going to go to bed and put a big 0 on the DT. Amazing how stress makes a person want to drink though!!

“It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it. “ - John Steinbeck
        Night all.
        :l
        Eve11

Addendum: Yeah!! Baby bunny was found in the a.m. Came running to his cage VERY hungry and a little scared. He's sitting in my lap right now as content as can be. Have a good day everyone. Was an AF night for me btw.
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

I'm still here
          Don't feel like posting much but I am reading and appreciating all the support - thank you!

I fetched my daughter today so we are spending the weekend together and I've already had a change to explain to her what is going on.

I'm fine, hanging in there.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi all - Eve11 suggested I post here - I hope to join the 'mod squad' after I finish my current AF period. I gave up alcohol for lent, so, 4 weeks to go. I have to admit it sure seems like a long time away. I'm doing very well though, so far. I was here at MWO about1.5 years ago when I went AF for 30 days and then moderated. Not too dramatic of a story on what brought me here - a combination of drinking too much one night (not terribly unusual but I was very 'functioning' with my drinking, albeit daily drinking for many years), reading "Drinking, A Love Story" the next day (in bed), and having my best friend's elderly mother going through very serious alcohol problems where she was going to kill herself or someone else and I guess I decided I had to do something. My friend's mom was fine (functioning) for years and years and for all I knew, she was just like I am (was?) when she was my age. I can't stand the thought of having my addiction get to the point where she was. Anyway, I did OK for awhile, but eventually got back into drinking every day - anywhere from 2 to 8 drinks a day. Average on weeknight was probably 3, weekends, probably 6 but often more. Anyway, I was hungover more than I wanted to be and not liking having my kids seeing me always with a glass of wine in my hand! So I decided to try again. This time, in hopes of having more success, I plan to try to not drink at all unless it is a special occasion (e.g., dinner out, out with friends, friends over). Last time, I allowed myself to drink and tried to limit the number of drinks and number of days per week, but somehow I got right back into daily drinking (probably after a vacation where my excuse for daily drinking was, hey, I'm on vacation - it's a special occasion!). So, a new approach this time! I don't post too often, but love reading the posts and hearing peoples stories and successes (and failures because we learn from those too! And get back up and keep trying).

I wish the best to everyone here!

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Welcome (back) to the Mod Squad Frances!

I understand all to well the stinking thinking involved when it comes to holidays. Good on you for bing aware.
              I'm looking forward to more posts from you.
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi and a very warm welcome to Luvwin & Canadiangirl.
                This thread is such a wonderful place to bounce off ideas, share thoughts and gather inspiration -- I hope you both find that here:-)

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Thank you all for making me feel welcome.

On Wednesday, just three days into March, I had a very confident day. I had what I thought was the proper mix of getting tasks done and being lazy and even pulled out some spiritual tapes. These strategies all work very well until my calculated calm is interrupted by the kids arriving home from school. Haven't quite got that one figured out. Did not meet my goals. Oh well today is another one of those days (a housewife day instead of the paying job) and I have the opportunity to do better. Got to learn to roll with the unpredictable.

It's a sunny afternoon in my time zone, hope this finds all well.
                  Drinking has been my hobby for several years now. It's time to get a new hobby

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi Ladies,
                    I have been out town and out of touch with MWO for a few days so I am checking in. Dee Bee, I hope your situation at home improves, we all feel for you. Welcome to Frances and Luvwins, for your information I am the lone male that is regular on LT Mods.

Things are fine here, going for second week in row with taking four night AF. It is a slam dunk as I already have three in the bank and we babysit our granddaughters tomorrow night. I never drink when we do that. Going out to eat with another couple tonight so will stop at two beers. I have very busy day tomorrow and need to be energetic with clear thinking.

My best to all LTM and anyone else following our thread.

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

hi modders...been busy for a few days so i've been reading your posts but have been unable to post my own. I had 3 af days again this week which is not my GOAL but is a start. this is my fourth week in a row where i have had at least 3 AF days. yay. I hope to get the habit going and be able to add another one in there soon. on the days i'm not af, i'm not allowing more than 3 drinks on the weekend days, and only allow 2(but usually have 1.5)on the one weekday I'm allowing at this time. So, it's still taking EFFORT but maybe someday it won't be so hard. My hubby makes it difficult sometimes when he comes home and has ONE beer after work on a day I plan to be AF. AND i COULD just have one, and be done with it, but i don't want to. I want to be AF. So those nights are a little hard. But, i've had a few of them, and i stuck to it. so....

deebee, i'm so sorry you are having a tough time. you sound really strong though. i bet you are one tough cookie. hugs to you.

sounds like march is off to a great start!

xoxo

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Ch-ch-changes

Letgo,
                        You are doing really well since you started coming here!! I'm glad you found us.

Frances,
                        Thanks for posting. Anytime I see folks on other threads posting that they're moderating I always encourage them to come here because we really do give and get great support.

I'm going to a party tomorrow and will drive early (so hubby and I will have separate cars) to help the hostess. In the past I never would have done that as I always needed hubby to drive because of my over drinking at parties. I am really getting this down now and have not been going over 2 and at parties am spacing so I would never have too much AL in my system by the time it's time to go home.

Huge
                        improvement!

In addition to whatever folks want to write how about some changes you've made since coming here?

Eve11's changes
                        1. Don't fool myself that I can open a bottle of wine at home for myself to have 1 or 2. Doesn't work so I don't do it anymore.

2. Do not have wine with lunch anymore. That used to be one of the big exciting factors of going to lunch with a girlfriend who's an alcoholic - to have that glass of wine and -gulp- possibly two back then!! No more!!

3. Had a mimosa free brunch this last month. That was also another excuse to drink. Not saying I would never do it again if I went out to a brunch where they served it but when it's completely 100% in my control as the hostess - well, I just said NO!

4. Felt real stressed the other night and popped a glut and waited it out and focused on how I really didn't want to post a drink on a week day on the drinktracker. Just waiting sometimes helps that urge to pass. In this particular case it never really did so I just went to bed! LOL. That worked!

5. Have noticed that I don't want to waste a drink on nonsense. Why have the before dinner drink at our house when a couple comes to meet us to go to dinner as it would then be too easy to have 2 more over the course of a dinner out. I'm learning to skip the drink before dinner which leaves 1 with dinner and 1 nightcap for a moderate 2 drinks per night (usually on a week-end night).

6. Like our Luvwins just posted - vacations/holidays can be tough for me too to want to get into that daily drinking because I'm on vacation. Am learning to really try to stick to the no more than 7 per week if daily drinking happens. It's funny, I just got an email from an old friend who shared his story of the drinks at the beach. Have a drink, swim. Have a drink, sleep. Have a drink, eat lunch...and it went on and on as if everyone drinks that way. Funny how problem drinkers think everybody does. No more for this one!!!
                        What are your changes??
                        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Hi all:

I made progres this week. Met my two AF days and tonight went out with a friend to dinner and had two glasses of wine and one at home . .. on the upper end of OK but OK none the less.

One of my changes mirror Eves: No opening a bottle of wine alone at home as 1 or 2 turns into 3 or 4. Doesn't work.

Frances: glad to see you posting here. I was so impressed watching your drinktracker when you began mods the first time, but your rarely posted. I think participating in the community is a big help, along with drink tracker. I hope you find that to be true. You seem like a peach!

My 15 y/o daughter returns from a month in France tomorrow: I have mixed feelings. It's been GREAT to have my freedom and have someone else responsible for her well being, bt I have missed her a bit. But I do dread restarting all the power struggles and daily tussles of life. Say a prayer.

A howdy to everyone else. As my dad would say 'keep your dobbers up". xoxo
                          Ask

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

Morning Modders.
                            Well, I broke many of my mod rules last night by drinking nearly 3/4 a bottle of wine by myself. I've tossed the rest away this morning and told my Mum that today is not an occassion for me to drink.
                            Neither of my parents drink so the only alcohol in the house is what I bring here so i must take advantage of this and get in as much AF time as possible.

Today is a beautiful sunny day and my Dad and I went for a walk along the beach this morning and we'll go back down again later for a swim. Not too much else planned other than a bit of long overdue sewing.

I've just read a very interesting article in a Psyc mag about "How NOT to rescue your relationship" the author talks about how when tensions and resentments mount we think that desperate times call for drastic action but in most cases simple solutions offer the best results. I think this is the strategy I'll be taking.

Ask, I'll be thinking of you when E returns tomorrow.

Eve, you must be so proud of yourself with your success' of late. Well done my friend!
                            I applaud the changes you have made in your life - especially the no wine at home for yourself rule as (for me) that has always been my downfall -- it's just too easy to keep topping up and not notice that the whole bottle has disappeared.

MG, you sound wonderfully focused!! Have you been on holiday again or away on business?

I was just thinking of how my husbands day will go today (Baring in mind he played golf yesterday and had a bender with my brother last night) He then teed off at 8am this morning for a quick 9 holes of golf. He'll then meet his mates in the pub to watch the rugby at 10:30am when the drinking will begin. At 12:00 he is going to his ex partners 40th birthday party and that's where the serious drinking starts -- and all of this before sundown!! I'm so grateful not to be involved in that craziness today.

Lets have a sober Saturday peeps!

P.S. if Sara is lurking I just wanted to shout out and say HI!!!

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

I am going for 50% week beginning tomorrow. Because my normal weekly goal is 12 or less I will shoot for 6 or less drinks next week. Any other L.T. mods in?

Comment

Mod Squad March Thread

I am lurking, Deebs! I'm sorry things have been so hard with your husband and brother. I've been thinking of you. And all you other modders!

I'm finding I have an inner peace that I had not felt in a long, long time, since deciding never to try drinking again. I love never having to struggle to stop at one or two, never having to think about whether it's a drinking night or not, and never having cravings. I suppose the cravings will probably come back, but so far so good.

Today is day 16 AF, and I am grateful for this chance to live differently. I'm also happy for those of you who are finding that you can mod without the kind of struggle I felt. More and more I am convinced that all of our brains must be wired somewhat differently. My wiring, I believe, is pretty damaged/weak/vulnerable as far as my brain's response to alcohol goes. That last episode I had was what it took to make me realize that I couldn't risk drinking anymore. I might have been able to go on drinking moderately for weeks or months, but the risk of another time when I lost control was too scary for me.

Miss you all...You are such a great group. I feel stronger already, so will be coming in to say hello.

Big Hugs,
                                Sara
                                "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Working...
                                X