Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June modders

good for you, TMH!
    Right now, I am abstaining. (as of today!) It is because I am taking a lot of supplements, and alcohol can interact badly with them. 5-htp, St John's Wort, SAMe, and sometimes Kava Kava. A lot, I know! But a doctor recommended ADs, and I just want to try this because I have had them in the past and have made me feel a little off and disconnected.
    I do feel my anxiety gone, really, which is a huge relief. I downloaded The Mood Cure, and am looking at that. I don't know if anyone is familiar with that book, the different kinds of depression. Of course, I seem to have all the "kinds"!
    Well, am going to bed. Honestly, this was easy, not having a few drinks. It is like drinking was just a bad habit I got into. I meant to do this(stop), and then today just was the day. I didn't even think much about it. Right now, my goal is to get my brain healthy (if it ever was)!
    So thank you all for your encouraging words! This is a great place to be!
    Rebirth, did you lose weight from abstaining?

Comment

June modders

Ok, Lila, we flip flopped. You started abs as of yest, I started modding. Not on a whim, no weakness, serioius thought given to it, written list of pros and cons, discussed with dh (via phone) and he agreed I should check it out.

In 11 days I'm flying to Canada, spending a week. It's going to be big social atmosphere and know my SIL is planning to entertain all of us royally. He drinks a lot; my dd drinks like I am going to drink from now on. Get this: my ex and his wife will also be there; we share grandchildren and it's gds graduation. Have vascillated between waiting til I get there to drink again, or Sunday b4 at Day 21. It may sound silly, but I wanted to practice. See how I felt after 1 or 2 being a lightweight and on the supps. Dh at a much heavier wt said even his cutting back resulted in feeling 2 gl of wine.

Measured the wine and took just over an hour to finish first one. Did a task been meaning to do while enjoying that glass. Made my dinner and enjoyed a measured 2nd one while eating. Had 2 over period of 2.5 hours. No desire for another one. SLEPT GREAT! And feel perfectly fine this a.m.

It's one day of control. I have spent no less than 6 hrs/day on this site; have read 6 or 7 books, have made my plan. Will consider Mon and Tue, etc. as all part of my plan when I'm AF. I hope this does not encourage anyone else to do the same, I'm just being honest and feel it's ok to post on moderation thread as moderation is and always has been my goal. I will still use the Drinking Track, think that is a major tool. Do not feel apologetic at all, and loved learning I can go out with drinking friends, not drink, and have a good time.

TMH
      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

June modders

you sound strong, TMH!
        Contrary to the usual advice around the boards, I do not have a "plan" just am focused on my new supplement regime. And maybe that is why I am not really craving anything.
        One reason I really like LTM section is that it is really supportive no matter what you are doing, abbing or modding. I read the boards a lot too, there is so much good information.
        I also am abbing off my sleeping pills, went into deep relaxation last night, but no sleep. But I am not worried. I have a feeling that will come. I feel a lot less tension and worry in me.

Comment

June modders

Good morning modders,
          TMH- Your drinking was perfect on saturday and you should not feel bad to you are moderating at all. That was really healthy drinking and you should be really proud of yourself! Well done! We have to remember that this site is about My Way Out..and this means resolving your drinking problems using the methods you feel are right for you...whether it's moderation or abstinence or using drugs.

Lila- A healthy mind is the key to everything. I have not read this book but I am finding exercising really helps to keep my mind at ease. When I abstained I put on loads of weight. I was combating my cravings with sugar and would go through two jars of chocolate spread a week. I also made myself massive portions of food so that I didnt feel "deprived". I would order takeouts because I stopped going to bars..the weight piled on.
          So its been a year later and there is no excuses anymore. i am losing weight by eating less calories and dropping more calories by exercising. It's gradual but it's working..

My weekend was very hectic. Alot of social events. Friday evening was a 40th birthday and I danced and had a really great time. Saturday was a 21st party and I did struggle at one point. All the youngsters were pressuring me to drink tequila shots and I drank one. Annoyed by that. But I drank less wine to compensate and we had a blast. I woke up sunday feeling a bit tired but happy with the way I dealt with both events.

It's my day off today. i am shattered but I am going to force myself to the gym. Later aligators. x
          Be strong-
          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
          Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

June modders

Thanks Lila and Rebirth for vote of confidence. I feel like I'm in a very good place. Happy and proud. Last night I almost did not drink even tho I do plan on allowing it on Sundays Decided to and again 1 hr for 1st drink. 2nd one with my dinner. Again, both drinks measured. Did other stuff, took a bath, and before I sat down to watch Army Wives, I poured 1/2 glass. Took one sip and poured it back in the bottle, just did not care for anymore. And yes, I know it's morning, but I am actually looking forward now to my V8 with lime or Diet Tonic w/lime instead. Seems surreal.

Lila, sometimes we concentrate on only one thing or habit at a time. And that's ok.

Rebirth - hey, party girl, you did great! I've never understood the lure of shots but then I'm kind of old. Remember doing that at my dd bachelorette party. Decreasing the wine consumption means you are so in control. Like I said, I want to be just like you and you can bet when I'm in Canada and the drinks are flowing I'll be thinking "what would rebirth do"? Does that make you feel special or what! Hope your workout perks you up and makes you glad it's Monday.

Comment

June modders

Aww thank you TMH. That DOES make me special. x

I also had a couple of glasses on sunday. One around afternnon time and another later on in the evening. I like posting my AL consumption because it keeps me in check. Plus it is surreal!

A year ago a normal sunday was a few glasses of wine as soon as I woke up. Hair
              of the dog. Then continuous drinking throughout the day ( I never travelled anywhere on a sunday and avoided events which would interfere with my drinking time!)
              By late afternoon I was asleep on the sofa because I drank too much. It's so different now. I am loving my new life!! x
              Be strong-
              We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

June modders

Where is everybody?

Yest I did a 5 mile Walk/Run and lower body floorwork. Did not sleep well again last night, got up this a.m. feeling "off". Played 18 holes of golf and it was a disaster, wish I would have quit at 9. Took a nap, probably will be sorry tonite but finally felt a lot better. Biked 8+ miles during the 'witching' hour, kind of hard as it's hot and windy.

Rebirth - guess we're kind of talking to each other.
                Lila - you ok?

TMH

Comment

June modders

Wow TMH! You have done some serious exercise! Fairplay to you girl. I didnt sleep well last night either.I think it's the daylight hours..you still AF?

Was thinking the same? Where is everyone? This thread can be very lonely sometimes but it's probably because moderation is too difficult for most people?

Did a bit of thinking on my way to work and I am going into my second year of being drunk free. I really want to focus on being physically fit. I want to make exercise a very important part of my life. About 9 weeks ago I started on a diet but now I want these healthy life changes to be permanent.
                  Be strong-

Comment

June modders

I would like to get into being fit, too. I don't look too bad, but just have not been working out. I am biking a little bit now, which is great.
                    TMH, that is amazing.
                    Rebirth, you are sounding so positive! I am here, yesterday was kind of a long day and I didn't check in.
                    I am having really good luck with my supplements, mostly the 5-htp. I actually had half a beer cuz I was woken up at night. I looked this morning, and there was still 1/3 left in my wine glass.
                    I think now I have to work on the "what to do evenings" bit. Biking has been good, but what to do if it rains?
                    Anyways, I am feeling good and positive!
                    Lila

Comment

June modders

Hi there! Nice to see both of you here, Lila and Rebirth. I keep wondering what happened to Eve. Miss reading her informative posts being more long term than we are.

Rebirth - no longer AF. You may have forgot, last weekend Lila went AF and I decided to drink. Drank both Sat & Sun and had 1 on Mon. I'm not quite as motivated as you to be AF weekdays because I am retired. Think it's wonderful you are though! I just knew I needed to cut down, not drink daily, measure, sip and time my drinks, fill the wine glass with water as often as wine. Last night found myself raiding the pantry, frig looking for sweets. Don't know what's worse! LOL I am taking about 3000 L-glut.

Lila - so glad you're in a good place! Keep at it; it will pay off. Also, when I told you 5-htp did not work for me, I think it was St. John's Wort I took, not 5-htp. So...maybe I should try some? I felt a little down today. 8 days til I go to meet up with family. Am lonesome.

Does anyone else worry about all the supps? Something I'm taking is making me very agitated at night. Restless legs which I have had & corrected with Vit B complex and noticed I forgot to take one yest so maybe that was it. Today I only golfed 9 holes, not near enough steps in but thought maybe my body needs a day off.

Comment

June modders

Hi Lila. Good to hear from you again. What is 5-htp? Does it stop cravings? How is the kava kava. You think this is making you feel better within yourself? Yes the "what to do in the evenings" were always a delimma with me. I use to drink the evening away, I then replaced that with snacking the evening away and now I have replaced that with exercising and doing bits and bobs around the house.

TMH- I did the same with chocolate! I use to eat chocolate spread by the spoonful. I sometimes ate the whole jar if my craving was too strong. No wonder I put on ten pounds!! Isnt L-glut meant to reduce sugar cravings? I am taking 500mg a day but it hasnt done anything..I could still eat a mountain of doughnuts if I allowed myself.

I think supplements can be detrimental if taken for a long period of time. Have a peaceful evening. off to bed.x
                        Be strong-

Comment

June modders

Checking in this a.m. to report a wonderful night's sleep!!! Think my body needed a rest day (much as I hate to admit that) Tried some Sleepy Time tea last night, may have been pyschosomatic but between that, less exercise, remembering Vit B, one Calm Forte, it all worked.

Rebirth, from what I've read here 500mg is not nearly enough. I take 1000mg 3X/day and I think people even take more than that. Thanks for your input on supps as I wasn't sure if I should go buy more L-glut b4 traveling. Have enough through trip, then will see how I do. I grocery shopped yest and bought some sweets because otherwise I'm eating, eating looking for that certain something, bet you get that. Yest b4 dinner I had a slice of this crumb cake and felt very satisfied, and then had a little bit later dinner. Think not having sweets b4 bed is a biggie too, I know sugar can affect my sleep.
                          System is much more sensitive as I've gotten older - hate to admit that too! LOL

Have a great day, ladies!

Comment

June modders

TMH- Nothing beats a good night sleep! I have a weak bladder so I am up two/three times in the night. But I still manage to sleep well inbetween. Have you ever suffered from sleep paralysis? It's awful. Had it all my life but it only affects me when I have a cat nap during the day.

Erm how old are you roughly THM?

I got myself another fitness dvd so I will try it out later. I feel really tired and lathargic today but I am going to force myself to workout!
                            Be strong-

Comment

June modders

Whats crumb cake?
                              Be strong-

Comment

June modders

Once I cut out all sugar and white flour from my diet, and I really felt great. I had no insomnia and lots of energy. I could do that again, but I find it hard to be so restricted.
                                Maybe I will try the L-glut too. I think 5 htp helps with sugar cravings. I don't really have it, but I think sugar/alcohol cravings might be closely linked, that is the theory, right?
                                I think SAMe is really a good thing for me, I am going to take more, I am on 400mg right now.
                                Today it is not raining, hope I can get out for a bike ride, you all are inspiring me to exercise more (it used to be not at all!)

Comment

Working...
                                X