Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January Mod Squad

TMH and others,
    TMH, I have had two other friends lose brothers this last week so it's been a reflective week for me as I have two brothers that are very dear for me. Once again, sorry for your loss.

I haven't researched Moder8. I wonder if it is an ammino acid? Everyone should go to our research site where members blog -look at top of screen and it is to the right of health store. A new member posted some very good info about ammino acids that help with cravings. Of course it all confirms what the founder wrote about with L-glut and kudzu. Interesting stuff and wonder where Moder8 fits into that.

I have been doing great with no more than 1 or 2 but have to admit I really struggled with cravings most nights I drank and really wanted a 2nd or 3rd but kept focused on the honesty with reporting here and on drinktracker and it kept me strong. The cravings do pass if one just procrastinates. TMH, seltzer with a shot of grenadine and a lime is a fun non-al drink that looks like AL as one could think it's a vodka or gin/tonic drink if you wanted to be discreet about an NA drink. My son turned me on to 3/4 cranberry juice and 1/4 o.j. which is actually very tasty. Sounds like an odd combo but works for me.

I feel so blessed to start off the new year with 1 week into it with no hangover history this past week because no more than 2 works for me without feeling affected the next day. Off to post on drinktracker now which also helps me maintain my accountability.
    :l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

January Mod Squad

((tmh)) good for you for staying strong through all this. Moder8 sounds really good.

eve, I have a lime tree that is about to bear fruit, so I will try that drink idea. It sounds really good.

I don't have a lot to say - my life seems to be slowly getting really good and much more balanced. I just am starting to feel better about myself, and about life. I really was a wreck when I came back here last summer. I definitely have areas I want to improve, being buzzed every night makes one overlook important things. I love the middle of winter, it is such a great time to be reflective.

Comment

January Mod Squad

Hi all,
        Everyone is doing so well here. I, too, feel great and have really gotten control over my drinking and haven't had a hangover since before Christmas. I'm drinking so much less. I have learned so much from being on here and have tweaked my drinking habits. I really don't crave it anymore either. Maybe that little light over my head finally went on. Better late than never.
        "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

January Mod Squad

Hi guys. There really is something different surrounding alcohol now. I've lost all the anxiety. Maybe it's losing the "gosh, did evening go longer than I remember"? Did I say or do something stupid? Constant thinking about it has vanished. Love it. It's turned into a much smaller aspect of my life.

Eve - thanks ~ yes, express your love now, we never know when it's too late. My other bro left funeral w/o saying goodbye. On way home he called me extremely apologetic, and we had a long talk. He admitted to not being good about communicating and told me "expect more calls". Good for you on stopping at 2. I'm participating on DrinkTracker also. The seltzer drink sounds good. Cranberry, oj not so much. LOL Lots of calories/sugar, kind of like alcohol? As far as Moder8, I don't have bottle with me to list ingredients. See Monthly Mod thread, Zimmerman lists what's in it.

Lila - lime tree - how interesting, my son has one too. Oh, I think it's a lemon tree but the fruit is green right now. You can grow them in the north country? - I sure should be able to do so. I want one.

MM - doesn't it feel great? Freeing. This is a great site, and I think it is possible to mod. It takes discipline (last nite a few friends asked what I was drinking as they are so used to seeing me with a glass of chardonnay and when I told them NA beer, I was giving my liver a break, their response was "my, what discipline"). Not sarcastically, with respect.

Traveling home today. Make it a Super Sunday, AF or within limits!

TMH
          The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

January Mod Squad

TMH: sorry for your loss.
            It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well with mods so far. I've been off and on here since 2009 but for now am going to abstain for a while to give my liver a break, too. Eve11---I really like drinktracker as it keeps me honest.
            Has anyone noted if they went 5-7 days without that there was any irritability? Today I was restless and although polite, was really quite annoyed with people. Movement and busy---ness helped, but I still noticed it. Thanks for the posts, they really help
            My goal is to go AF for a while and then go back to enjoying 1-2 drinks on the weekend or with friends when I go out or to parties (right now I'm quite the homebody). Got into a habit of 2-4 per day which is ridiculous and unnecessary, not real good for weight control either.

Comment

January Mod Squad

Hi Dodo,
              I wanted to try and answer your question about irritability. When I tried to go AF for a period of time, which I tried many times, I would become angry and resentful. I just wanted to be like everyone else and drink moderately at parties but I couldn't. So I would try and go AF but if my husband would crack open a beer I would feel resentful and then irritable because I was not drinking. I was not a huge drinker in everyday life. But after I had an especially bad evening at a party we had hosted, I then realized I needed to do something about my social drinking. I found this site and it has made a world of difference. I was able to identify my triggers and make goals and rules for myself. I understood that I could not drink at parties and I am keeping to that rule. I like to have a couple glasses of chardonnay on Sat and Sun. So now, I don't have that feeling of irritability since I allow myself those few glasses of wine on weekends. I really don't crave anymore than that. But as I said, I have never really been a huge drinker, but I have been drinking since I was probably 16 but not on a daily basis, so I don't know about the physiology of cravings and irritability for someone who drinks a lot on a daily basis. I don't know what your drinking habits are and if what you are feeling is the withdrawal of AL. I would maybe have to guess that that might be what you are experiencing. I think it's great you are trying to have an AF period. That really helped me and I think it stopped that craving for more than 2 glasses. Good luck and I hope this helped.

Comment

January Mod Squad

hi Dodo, welcome. Yes, I think irritability can be a side effect of abstaining. I even think I read that on the boards here. Your brain is accustomed to something, now its gone, and there are effects.

Comment

January Mod Squad

I'm home!!! Feels great.

Dodo - thanks for condolences. That daily habit can sneak up on you for sure.

No cravings tonite, just a feeling of listlessness like might as well make dinner and get it over with. Which is exactly what I did, kitchen cleanup much better than it normally is due to my sometimes wanting to continue drinking. Have had a nice hot bath and plan to watch a movie and then get to bed. Didn't bother with sleeping pill last night and only got 5 hrs so it's time for a catch up nite.

TMH

Comment

January Mod Squad

Didn't stick to my 30 days AF. I had 2 glasses of wine Sat and Sun but I am still doing so much better than before MWO. I am feeling so much more confident in my decisions. Staying AF during the week.
                    TMH, are you and your hubby both retired? My hubby retires in Sept and I am afraid that I will feel like every day is Sat. Do you have that feeling? I don't want to begin drinking more if he is home all of the time. I think because he is working, it helps me keep those boundaries.

Comment

January Mod Squad

MM, that is a-ok! As per other thread I may not make 20 days AF this month but if it turns out to be 15 that's half of days I was drinking or dang near. Yes, we are both retired, however, dh is being retained as consultant. He works approx 20 hrs/week and when we are back in MN he always has meetings. For us it's everyday is like Friday. Doubled because of living in retirement community where majority of people are the same.

Example: As bag boys were cleaning our clubs, they asked are you going to Happy Hour? On a Tues? Right now it's Wed & Fri that there's Happy Hour and dinners but exceptions happen all the time or a neighbor sees you and invites you over for a drink. We haven't had much of that yet but it was the holidays and no lack of parties that's for sure and then we were gone. It will happen.

TMH

Comment

January Mod Squad

sorry, but that sounds so fun!
                        but TMH, congrats on your new take it or leave it attitude! and MM, great plan! lately, much better than me.
                        well, middle of winter, and i am "in my stuff", feeling fragile, etc. time to take some Vitamin D3.

Comment

January Mod Squad

Happy Monday modders,
                          How is everyone doing? How are you doing Lila? Are you doing better?
                          I had a pretty good weekend. I made a bottle of wine last 3 days. I can't remember the last time I did that. Wasn't too happy with my calorie intake. I get the munchies no matter how much I drink. I have to figure that one out. But still within my limits and feeling great. I plan on doing 2 a day workouts all week. Feb 6 is getting closer and that is when we are leaving for FL on vaca. Not sure if I will reach my goal weight by that time but that's ok. I am already seeing a difference. Still not drinking during the week. Would like to not drink Fridays (guess that's a weekday) but I only had one glass of wine last Friday so that's ok.
                          Hope everyone is doing ok. Where is everyone? Feeling lonely here.

Comment

January Mod Squad

Weekend ended on a bad note. One of those situations where we see a guy sitting alone; friends had just left him. Now we are in the bar after a golf game. 4 of us go over to say hi and join him; 1st one guy buys another round, then we do, then the 3rd person does. Too many. Downright sick yesterday.

MM - you had a great weekend. Good for you!
                            Lila - feeling any better? Even if you're not, please post, let us know how you are doing. Can we help?

TMH

Comment

January Mod Squad

Hey TMH,
                              So sorry you had a bad weekend. I know those kinds of gatherings. I am deadly in that kind of situation. I completely lose myself and go off the deep end. I inevitably get sick and then feel awful for 2 days. I have fun in the moment but pay for it in the end. That is my struggle with AL. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

January Mod Squad

hi gang
                                thanks TMH for the caring words. I have been busy, just wish the world would slow down so I could process... what i need is to get back to the gym, it is good for my brain. Sorry you had too many, I can certainly relate!
                                MM. you sound like you are on the right track! but...what is wrong with feeling like every day is Sat? (i know, i know, just sounds so relaxing!)
                                L

Comment

Working...
                                X