Is Mods really attainable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think mods is attainable. But it is a constant process, of determination & vigilance. Which I'll admit.. sometimes it can de downright frustrating! But I believe anything in life that is worth your time & energy, that takes a lot of work is always going to be just that. Hard work & a lot of determination. Maybe even some trials & errors. But the light bulb wasn't invented on the first try either. For that matter... light bulbs need replacing, they burn out. As do we if,we allow ourselves to get too stressed, or overworked.

I know for me, being totally abs a much harder struggle, than allow myself to drink some.

I've done re-hab 2x, been in & out of AA for years. And I always end up meeting great people. But for me to sit and talk about my old patters, or admit that I'm afflicted with a non-curable disease, and constantly admit to myself that I'm powerless... Makes me feel like a THIRSTY LOSER...

So, for now... I'll keep moderating. Praying, exercising, and trying to stay as healthy as I can. Thanks to this program, I've been able to do that for a year and 2 months now! Only a couple of bad slips. But hey, when I was learning to ski, it took a few spills before I started "rippin".:H Same with kayaking, I've done my share of swimming before I got a good roll down... Somethings just take more work than others. Sure I'll swim again, but that's not gonna stop me from getting back in my boat!
    :l Judie
    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Newbie here!

Hello - :new: Sooh good to read your stories. I have posted elsewhere in mods - but so new to blogging, too, that I don't know where! Just good (?!) to read that so many of you have hit ' the chickens coming home' at around 50...me in October. So good to hear that I maybe don't have a 'progressive, life-threatening illlness that I was born with and I am going to die' - possible of course but other options is like coming out into the sun... 65 days AF now and thinking that the stuff in inverted commas is rather depressing! (Early days I know.) My Mum (a cherry-brandy-at-Christmas sort of drinker) just gave up at menopause when it started to 'make her feel funny'. I used to think she was a lightweight (and more fun when tipsy she's soooh negative normally!) but now I wish I'd given up when it made me feel funny! I just had another one to get rid of the feeling - how crazy is that! I [I]was[I] a lightweight for years - just the first six months of this year..... stupid. It doesn't help tough times at all does it?!?!?!

Thanks guys - you all sound lovely!
      :heart: c: :heart:
      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Hey Judie - thanks for just what I was looking for.... I have done 65 days AF in 'the rooms' but am soooh fed up with the things you write about too. They are such lovely people and I am so grateful but this site is like coming out into the sun of AF or mod in the real world rather than a secret society which I feel a bit weird in! I want to live without booze (or mod) and not disappear underground and not use my new, happy self!!! Really Good luck!

Comment

Have endless admiration for all those successfully moderating.

However, I think that a great many of us start out hoping in earnest that moderating is within our capabilities. Unfortunately, I am yet another person who has discovered, through trial and error, that moderating is but an impossible dream for me.

Attempting to moderate resulted in me becoming mentally exhausted as I initially struggled to limit my alcohol intake, and.............within about a month I was back to square one and drinking just as much as I had been before attempting mods.

That realization led me back to the drawing-board, where I discovered ACCEPTANCE.............have now accepted that I am completely incapable of moderating.

Day 4 AF for me..........is very trying, but nowhere near as difficult as the mental torture of trying to moderate.

Starlight Impress

Comment

Good luck with that Starlight.:h I really wish you well....
            I think for me, to be AF would be more stressful.
            I just know myself, enough to know that after a hard & stressed night @ work... it's something I enjoy & I feel I've earned... to be able & FREE to have a beer & relax.

For me, that's less stressful than staying awake, and wound up from a busy night of waiting tables, than not to (have a beer)
            At this point in my life, that works for me.

Comment

Thanks Judie, but I raise my hat to you!!!!........you`re a tough cookie that can maintain the mods............I just couldn`t do it........guess that makes me a weakling, huh? LOL

Much love,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

I'm just determined & stubborn!
                My hat's off to you as well!:bigwink: zwink:

Comment

This is v good topic for me to read today. I tried AF for a few weeks but found would have occassional binge. For the past few weeks I have been moderating but past week has been hard with my period culminating in me having 13 units last night. So have decided to go AF for a while again. We are moving offices next week so temptation for pub wont be so bad I hope.

Comment

Good Luck Gargykath - Yes, easier in many ways.
                    Hope the office move goes as well as poss!
                    Welcome and see you soon with good news of AF....
                    'Feet' x

Comment

Thanks Finding My Feet. I had an argument with my mum yesterday morning and basically instead of my usual 6 units on a Friday had double.

I think am going from moderating now to no AF as am worried is creeping up again.

Comment

Hi all, I too am trying to moderate, trying, trying..... BUT what I do feel has made a huge difference is my awareness of doing it, therefore I WILL and DO limit myself which I never did before MWO... so hats off to me just for that small achievement. Wishing us all well.

L
                        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Also what I want to know what is moderation exactly like how much alcohol. I thought would be the recommended 14 units per week ???? Am I wrong about that ?

Comment

This "units" things confuses me. Like "stones" for weight. Us Americans are so IGNORANT!!

We need, glasses of ....

LOL

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi Cindi

I will try and explain

a unit is a single measure of spirits, a small glass of wine (125ml) - like a roundy classic wine glass size not a huge goblet thing like you get in pubs, or half a pint of beer / lager (standard percent not super strong Stella or Kronenburg(.

Our goverment says 14 units for women and 21 units for men is safe.

How do you guys measure your intake ????

Love America me went for first time last year. I am hungover today and even the thought of your country brings back memories of the fab fast food over there.

Comment

14 units a week or day? LOL
                                Yes, we have great fast food, hence the obesity problem in the country.
                                I'll never forget a friend from Canada. We went to a Quincy's (which is like many of the "all you can eat" places here) and he was amazed that all he had to do was pay a set amount and then he could eat all he wanted.

Great stuff, hey? Until you eat too much and weigh too much. Thank God our bars don't do that!! LOL.
                                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X