Is Mods really attainable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey mighty mouse, so do you ever get drunk? or just barely get a buzz always when you drink?

I am 25, not quite terribly addicted to alcohol, but on my way, and i want to try to reverse and moderate my drinking. i dont feel i can completeely stop at my age. my friends mostly love to go out. i have been better with moderating, but lately its been difficult bc my bf is drinking everyday, and im always with him, so ive been increasing in how many days per week im drinking .,its about five now, compared to twice a year or two ago, before i was with him. however im very aware and trying to moderate it and not get to druink if i go out on a friday night. anyway, what i was going to say, was that there are different types of alcoholics. ive heard, and seen and am sure of it. there are those like my boyfriend, who dont have a genetic disposition to it, and drink everyday, maybe a six pack, maybe two beers, but they know when to stop and dont WANTTTT to keep drinking say if they hit a drunk state, or even a buzzed state, or even NOT. whatever they feel like doing. however, my bf i believe, has become dependent a bit on alcohol, he doesnt and wouldnt prefer to even go a day without it. OK, so then theres me. I used to go out and drink twice a week, but when i did, i would get to the point of blackin out, not know what i did or said, at times passed out on the bar, gotten flagged. if someone said to me when i was to drunk, " hun, u need to stop drinking now uve had enough" i would be like no . and start a fight if they argued. my bf and i have gotten into many fights about it. hes tried to stop me and i litearlly scream and cause a scene because having that next drink means so much to me. i dont remember this stuff, he tells me the next day! cuz i black out and dont even remember half the fights we've gotten into. i woudlnt drink everyay, but when i did, i woudlnt know when to stop. both sides of my family are alcohlics, and seriou sones. i truly believe, i am the dangerous alcohlic and my bf can live like this forever maybe. and not hav eproblems. for me its a struggle to have just two or three beers, and not be DYING to have more. i have to fight myself. to me that is the difference between someone like my bf who just loves alcohol but isnt genetically dispositioned to be an alcohlic, and myself who if i do not do something , or fight my drinking, will become an alcohlic no doubt. however, i believe being in this relationship has defenitly worsened it, because i crave it everyday now. because he drinks everyday. i used to be fine with drinking on a thursday "lady's night" and a saturday. i hope if we do break up, which i think migh thappen eventually because o fhis controlling and possessive behavior, i hope i can go back to just drinking twice a week and now that im more aware of it, try to not get drunk to the point of blacking out.

Comment

Hiya

I am ten years older than you and the amount you are drinking sounds similar as when I was 25. I shared a flat and we all went to the pub every night drinking at least 3 pints of strong lager every night with more on weekends.

The thing I wish someone had told me when I was your age was that the hangovers get much worse the older you get esp with increased anxiety.

Also the social pressure does not ease off there is always going to be it - you can leave your boyfriend but work mates, college mates and friends can put pressure on you. I went out last night as my mate put some pressure on me to go out.

Comment

Gargyketh, ya i know. i know leaving him wont end this problem. it will always be there. and my friends drink as well obviousally. so do u keep in touch with anyone who drank like u did in their twenties? do they still drink like that?

Comment

Some of you on here talk about say, "two or three" a day. i could do "two or three" a day, except on that friday or saturday, it would be more and i would get drunk. and not always "shitfaced", but shitfaced say once every few weeks. ( like BLACKOUT shitfaced) Now, the two or three a day thing. i could do it. my problem is, not just the occasional weekend blackout, but even if i did the "two or three" a day thing, i would get to that third beer, and it would just be a fight to not have a fourth. i could do it, but it would be hard. and for the next hour or two, i would be craving that fourth and non stop thinking of it. so ya. lol just some input. it might even be worth it, considering being af is a very hard thing to do forever.

Comment

Me, at least you are concerned and proactive about your drinking. when I was 25 I'd drink 15+ strong ales per night and not think twice about it. Much more on weekend and parties. Over the years I gradually cut back but then developed the tendancy to binge like crazy right out of the blue...wouldn't even see it coming. arg! Modding is still a nice dream and would love to be able to trust myself enough to try it in a controlled manner. not easy for some of us.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

I think that you can only moderate if you haven't reached the point where you have no self control around the alcohol, for instance, if you can't put down the glass after you start feeling the effects of the alcohol, it means that there is already a problem there with self control. it's the same with certain foods like chocolate, carbs and sugar.

I also feel that if you are only drinking with heavy drinkers, it's extremely difficult to control yourself from getting completely drunk.

Drinking alone for moderators is a big no no. You can't gauge yourself.
              what has worked for me, and I am not 100% there, is spending time with friends who are not heavy drinkers and keeping up with their pace. 2 glasses of wine with food and a lot of interesting talk.

exercise is also very helpful.

I have also found out that drinking at home is what almost got me. It's cheaper, so you can buy more booze and the bed is right there if you need to pass out.

if you go out you have to worry about getting home safe, not making a complete drunken mess out of yourself and not spending all your money.

Last but not least. Remember how awful it feels to have a hangover when you take that first sip.
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

For what it's worth (maybe nothing)just thought I'd share...

At day 22 I tried a controlled experiment. My husband, my mother, and I went out to dinner. Nothing fancy, just a good little Italian place. For more than a week I've been anxious/pondering/planning diversions - like ordering food that would not go well with red wine which is my fav -yada yada yada.

Well, I knew I wouldn't have a drink before dinner. I knew there would be no stopping for a nite cap on the way home, and there is no wine at home.

Sooo, I decided that I would have one glass of wine with dinner. It was not magical, I can't say it tasted soooo good. But, I did not leave even a sip in the glass. This is a point of concern because it was not particularly good wine.

On the way home an after dinner liquer (there is plenty in the cupboard) occurred to me - but no more or less than wine has occured to me during the previous AF days. Then the thought passed. I had peppermint tea as I have everyday after dinner since going AF, but did have a moment or two of feeling very tense/deprived/short changed.

I plan to finish out the 30 day period with only that one drink on my tracker. Holiday follows shortly after that. I have a lot to consider and know I must be vigilant.

Comment

Diligence

Thanks for sharing that ChangeAgent. It is the anxiousness and "shortchanged" after one drink that I can relate to. You have only another week left for your 30AF and I think diligent is a good way to go ! I'll keep watching for you - stay close

Comment

Thanks Grace Had long time plans to attend a small concert last night and was feeling very edgy about it and presence of alcohol. Yes, I did drink alcohol last night......

Background is I started cutting back Memorial Day, the beginning of summer. The period before that I will refer to as BS (Before Summer and also Bull Shiite) So to compare what has happenened in the past (BS) to last night.

BS: Get home from work, drink wine while getting ready to go out, 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner, 1 glass of wine at concert hall pre show, 1 glass of wine at intermission, 2-3 glasses of wine after concert, try to convince husband and friends to have just one more, nightcap at home. Pass out.

Last night:
                    Home from work and ready to go in 15 minutes. Craving and edgyness are bad. One quick round of EFT with focus on alcohol. Craving mostly neutralized on way to meet friends. Lemonade with dinner. Ordered one glass of wine at concert, wine lasted through intermission. Did not want more before second half of show. Out afterwards, one glass in one hour. For the first time ever, I was ready call it a night before anyone else. Left some in my glass on the bar, said goodnights, came home, showered, had a cup of tea, and went to bed. I had as much wine as I cared to have. Had a little bit of hearburn from it to boot.

Nothing tonight and do not want for it.

Last night I discovered that I now fall asleep more easily without wine. Alcohol makes meditation impossible.

I know it can be slippery slope. Will try not to fall on my arse. If I do, AF will be the only way.

Comment

ChangeAgent, :goodjob:
                      It feels good to be able to do that doesn't it? Congratulations! Definately keep on your toes with it too... as I'm sure you know, this is sneaky stuff.
                      As are our minds, with it.

I remember when I first started having a beer or a drink in front of my Family... after having been thru re-hab 2 times...
                      They were all so concerned. But on the other hand @ holidays, they'd carry on & drink away in front of me, acting like I was the problem... While I was in fact having far less than them... you know how that goes...
                      All that concern can just drive you to drink!

Things have finally settled down on that front. Thank God. I think it was when I had lunch w/my Mom & the margarita was so huge I had to ask her to help me w/it.. and still didn't finish it.

I find I drink a LOT slower than most people, these days. Don't know if it's just the past couple of years of training here, or the hypno CD's... maybe both...
                      Whatever , seems to work!

Thanks for sharing your good news!

And of course thanks again to RJ for starting this awsome program. You're the bestest!:l
                      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

(Sorry, posted first duff 'draft' by mistake so have just deleted it...!)
                        :heart: c: :heart:
                        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Glad to read your posts... I feel very happy (just now!) about being able to pull the ring on a 2% can of lager...have half and not want the other...then or later.... 'Fun' to be back reliably 'clockwatching' as in waiting for 6 o'clock...or rather NOT waiting at all!! Just being all, 'Frightfully British' and upright about it!

We were at the local theatre tonight and I was hungry! Towards the end in the quiet bits I was sure my daughter's bf next to me could hear my tum rumble...he could! But it was great it was hunger in my tum and not furious IBS 'lower down' rumbling around. That was embarrassing....but has completely stopped with AF. So, so much is better without the stuff but I do enjoy the littel bit of 'normal-ness' (whatever that is!) around the odd half tin... I have no desire for wine at the mo and spirits...Well, I had to laugh today when the lad of an aquaintance here said Hi in the street ad said he was just back from France yesterday..."Oh, and by the way do you want to buy any of these...?" and opened a bag of whisky and brandy before my eyes! (Trying to make a few pounds I think from the Hypermarche I suppose.) I wasn't the slightest bit interested, 'tickled' or anything! (Not that the street ever seemed the right place to buy my booze....FAR too 'proper' for that....HA!) I said farewell and went on my way with a chuckle... the lack of guilty feelings when I said I didn't do spirits was great! It is now true!

But I haven't tried it in front of my daughter yet, Judie....I'm too am expecting the 'look' too, but who can blame them... I hope the trust has built enough after 4.75 months and can continue to build...we'll see.

Yup, Judie. This place is great! Thanks to RJ from me too.

Love
                          FMF xx
                          :heart: c: :heart:
                          "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

I have been thinking long and hard about this question, "is mods really possible?"

After being on MWO for a while, doing my own research about the different types of alcoholism, and then thinking about my personality regarding alcohol, I think I might have a clue about the true answer for myself. (I am not an expert so refuse to speculate on others.)

It appears there are many different types of "alcoholics." Some were heavy drinkers from day one and have been heavy drinkers from the get go, some gradually became heavy drinkers over time due to the gradual physical changes in the brain chemistry that made it take more and more to achieve the satisfaction of one or two. Some are binge drinkers, the ones that can go days without alcohol and then bam, off on a big binge.

So, I believe the answer to this question lies in the root of what kind of drinker you are.

In my particular case, I was a heavy drinker from day one. I never maintained moderation except when I was pregnant, where I maintained abstinence - which, when you get right down to it is NOT moderation.

My motivation to drink is to get drunk. Now, I am not sure why I am like this or if some anxiety med or depression med might help alleviate this desire, but I do know that in my particular case, moderation has no appeal. If I drink, I want to get stinking buzzed drunk. I can blame it on genetics, poor self-image, stupidity, whatever, it doesn't matter.

So, in my case, I don't believe moderation is possible because it doesn't appeal. One or two drinks is not going to satisfy, only reduce my inhibitions to the point where I go wtf and drink until blacked out or just leave me dissatisified.

In my case, moderation MAY be possible but completely unsatisfying, so why bother?

Just my two cents.

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi - What I really liked about this post was your complete honesty with yourself. There was no trying to convince yourself that maybe some day you could mod - which a lot of people do, and spend years trying and failing.
                              The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Cindi,

I appreciate your insight and your honesty. There definitely appear to be alcoholic sub-types and abstinence appears to be the best choice for many.

MWO is one of the few programs that promotes moderation as a viable option. Personally, I too drank for the buzz- after all- what else was it for?

Looking around with more sober eyes, I can see that many people can enjoy a few beers or glasses of wine or cocktails and not end up blotto or hung-over. Life without alcohol is certainly possible and a healthy choice for many, but there is nothing wrong with moderation either. The benefits of a glass or two of red wine per day and even more, the benefits of sharing a few laughs with good friends over dinner with that glass of wine are also well documented. That is why I am going for long term moderation rather than abstinence.
                                ?If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.? -Wayne Dyer

Comment

Working...
                                X