Focus on Fitness/More AF Days in Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Story to share: Last night a neighbor sat down at our table to visit. 6 of us have a glass of wine in front of us. He doesn't. He mentioned being a nondrinker. I bit the bullet and asked him when & how he decided to be a nondrinker. He said when he was in his 20's, he pretty much got drunk every weekend. This included Sundays. One Monday he went into work, the boss chastised him for being late and he said, what so I'm 15 min late? Turned out it wasn't Monday but Tuesday. He quit drinking.

TMH
    The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Hi Eve and TMH,
      Eve, I completely agree with you about giving ourselves a break on holiday. I certainly don't get many of those so I should not beat myself up over it. I guess I was more upset about the eating than the drinking. And, yes, I am even now down below my prevacation weight. So I know it was mostly water retention. I tend to get in a tizzy when things don't go according to plan. And, also, I am able to get right back on the horse and start right where I left off before vacation. So I am very grateful to be able to do that. And I too, like you, do not crave AL most times but allow myself wine during the weekend. But I do stick close to this site because it does keep me focused on my goals. Speaking of that, Saturday will be a challenge. I will be at my brothers for the night and they are having some of our family members over and they do like to drink. Plus we are invited to a dinner at friends Sunday night after I get back and they are big drinkers as well. I tend to crash and burn at those times so I need to get my head screwed on right and not mess up. One of my sons will be there and I do not want to make an a** out of myself. I will not drink, I will not drink, I will not drink.... I'll let you all know how it went.

Yes, TMH, I do see how being retired is like being on vacation all of the time. Even though I am technically retired (I just picked up a decorating job), I am terrified of my hubby retiring in Sept. I am not afraid of him drinking, he barely does, I'm worried about me drinking all of the time. I am sure it is hard. Especially in Florida where it always feels that way. Wow, and what a story about your friend. Good thing he quit.

I'll be back Sunday. Have a great weekend all.
      MM
      "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

Ok gang, MM and TMH especially,
        And the worse part is...as we age...we tolerate alcohol less!! Just don't process it through our livers as well. So...I think we may be all in the same boat. Interesting point and a bit scary (the one about being retired like being on vaca all the time). I mean...how true is that???

So...we have to come up with the plans of what keeps us grounded. What keeps us from not going over the limits? For me, I absolutely have to be careful of who I hang with. Have to laugh about the Irish friends. Some ethnicities seem to just have that gene of AL troubles and the Irish and Native Americans are definitely at risk. Love one particular couple in our lives but they drink WAY too much. So, unfortunately, because I know I have a problem when with the wrong people, I don't go out of my way to get together with them. Sad, but just can't or I am at risk. Think about it. When people go AF, they have to leave those boozing buddies behind. They develop wonderful, new relationships with nondrinkers. Modders have to think about it the same way. The friends have to be controlled drinkers or we put ourselves at risk. Now family members? That's a whole different problem because you can't get out of that as easily. So, I think that becomes ...you start late...e.g. group meets at 7 for dinner, you postpone your first drink (for me...glass of wine) until 8 or 8:30 and sip slow...meal is over, things are winding down, you have your nightcap drink at 9:00, 9:30 and a nice seltzer at the end and it's a done deal. Two and you're through and you didn't mess up.
        Let us know how it goes gang. Hubby and I shared a fine red tonight and stayed home. Sometimes I can still have the urge for "another" when I've had my limit so I stash perrier bottles and grabbed one when the vino was gone. Definitely helped.
        :l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Eve, that is so true about as we age our tolerance level goes down. I mentioned my son quitting and his reasoning was he was up to 7 beers/night and it wasn't affecting him and that scared him. I said I feel the opposite about myself - feel like it hits me so much faster.

Last night went pretty well. I had tonic with lime, then my 2 glasses. We did stop to say hi to a guy in bar who is a runner. He stopped by our table on Valentine's Day to say he had gotten new running shoes. He bought us a drink BUT, we shared it. So once again 2.5 glasses.

Today we went for a 3+ mile walk and leaving to play 9 holes of golf in a few minutes. Friends we met down here from New Jersey signed up with us. Yeah!! We enjoy them. And if we stop in bar for a drink, they only have 1. I've seen him have 2 when staying for dinner but then he ends up sharing it with his wife. So like you said, Eve, it does help to control who you are hanging around with. Sorry to end sentence with a preposition but in a hurry.

MM - anxious to hear about your weekend upon your return. I'm sure you're doing great!

Lila - you must be busy? Hope it's a good thing. Would love to hear how you're doing.

TMH

Comment

Hiya im starting my first day of long term modertaing today, been AF 4 one month and moderating now, a friend on here reccomended this thread to me
            I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
            Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Hey, LPC - welcome! Glad to have you. Good job on the 1 month AF. What is your moderation plan?

TMH

Comment

hey all am joining you in moderating- been trying to be af after 3 months of being af I have been having few drinks at weekend. i have been af many times - what made me think about mod is - i like to drink - i like taste - i am stressing and wasting a lot of energy ' should i shouldn't i drink' so if i try to mod this time and can't that tells me something.

my plan is to only drink at weekend social events - and no more than 3 drinks (or half a bottle of wine if drinking wine). I am working on getting back to exercise/losing weight - have successfully quit smoking last year.

I always smoked when i drank too much socially, for many many years tried to quit cigs - but when i have lapsed recently i have had max 3 drinks. Sometimes i have felt hungover/anxious but some of that is internal battle/drinking wine - think i can only really drink wine with food.

I no longer have interest in getting truly drunk/losing whole weekends to hangovers - part of me loves feeling really drunk BUT that part is not in charge anymore! If i can't successfully mod i am back to af. In some ways i feel so much better af - energy/sleep etc etc BUT i always put on weight as bizarrely i exercised less/ate more junk as a treat.
                But to be honest - i will be af 99% of the time - but if i really fancy a drink at weekends - i can have one.

Look forward to being here - Rebirth/Eve it's good to see you both again - hope moderation is working for you.
                one day at a time

Comment

Hi All,
                  Welcome LPC and Bear73. Happy to have you with us. Bear, I can relate to you being anxious over the idea of drinking or not drinking. I had a brief AF period of 23 days. I, too, simply like the taste. My drink is chardonnay. I just love having a cold glass of chardonnay. I was so stressed out over not having any at all. I then decided to put some goals in place and allow myself some on weekends. When I made that decision, all stress went out the window. I know not many can do that and most stress more when modding, but it didn't work that way with me. I was the opposite. I hope you and LPC find what works for you too.

Eve, I agree with you also about not being able to drink as much as we age. I can have 2 glasses of wine and I'm fine. 3 and I feel it the next day. It's funny but since I went that period of being AF, I really don't want any more than the 2(except at parties; see below). A switch flipped inside of me and I don't have that desire to feel drunk. And I also agree with you about removing yourself from those that influence you to drink more. Yes, it is tough to stay away from family but I'm not around them much anymore anyway. But we were supposed to go to a dinner tonight where there is a lot of drinking with a festive atmosphere. But I'm tired from my trip so we won't be going. I now can see that that is the best thing for me. I think I would have gotten carried away being in that environment and I haven't had a hangover since before Christmas and I do not relish one now.

My trip home went well. It was a whirlwind but I'm glad I went and saw my family. I only had one glass of wine last night so that is a great achievement for me.

Haven't worked out for two days but will get back to it tomorrow. Looking forward to it and getting back to my usual eating habits. Boy was that chocolate cake good yesterday.
                  MM

Comment

Welcome to you Bear. Thanks for sharing your plan, sounds just like MM and Eve's.

Today I attended Bible Study, then hit Fitness Center & used elliptical trainer for 30 min and walked 60 min (4 mi.). Have over 17K steps in, ate well, AF day.

TMH

Comment

hey all - back to exercise today - half an hour on rebounder tonight.
                      Not been to gym for 2 weeks due to illness/last week not getting back to it and eating lots of chocolate with PMT.

I have to drive everyday this week due to meetings so plan to hit gym every night/or do exercise dvd/rebound.

Payday this Thursday - yay!
                      one day at a time

Comment

Started a new workout. I am still doing elliptical but I do the reverse mode now for 45 minutes. That's when it goes forward for a bit and then reverses and you go backwards. It is truly kicking my butt. I plan to up the levels as I become used to it. Back to 2 a days.
                        I'll have to plan something to do outside this Thursday. It's supposed to be near 70. Woohoo!
                        MM

Comment

Reverse elliptical? i never heard of that. Does it build muscle?
                          70 degrees? ugh! we had snow! i am jealous!
                          last night i went to my fitness class, and i worked out muscles i didn't know i had. it really makes me feel good. wearing cuter clothes now!
                          bear and little pink cat, welcome!

Comment

Hi Lila,
                            It's so good to see you. How are you doing? The elliptical that I am doing not so much builds muscle as it firms. I have noticed a dramatic difference in my butt. My hubby has too. But the reversible part works the front of your thighs. It's a button on the elliptical that you can push and then program the machine. Not all ellipticals have it though. That's great you're taking a class. I would like to do that some day but haven't gotten up the nerve to sign up. I think I'm afraid I won't be able to handle it.
                            MM

Comment

Hey guys ~ things are going well. Yesterday I did floorwork from DVD called Firm It Up and then my upper body routine, walked 2 miles and tried to move fast while cleaning house. Expecting overnite company this afternoon so no w/o today as have lots of cooking to do.

Ash Wednesday - didn't expect the company arriving today until tomorrow afternoon or Friday. Hence, I made plans to not only attend Ash Wed services tonite but also have a tee time on ladies league early tomorrow a.m. Going to do both. I will invite them to go along with me tonite but doubt they will as they are Catholic. Dh and I have decided to give up alcohol Mon-Fri for Lent. If we want something on Sat or Sun, fine. First I wanted to do Fri & Sat and then thought no, this is a good way to monitor those Friday night Happy Hours. If we go to Happy Hour, there's always O'Doul's, tonic water, virgin Bloody Mary's. I am truly looking forward to this.

MM - I see people doing the Elliptical backwards and I have done it (no button, just reversing the way you're going). It's hard! Great exercise!

Lila - have a little DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)? Me too. As long as it's not too much it's a good thing, you are building muscle then.

LPC - how's it going?

TMH

Comment

hey all - still alcohol free as it's mid week - but really looking forward to a few glasses of wine at the weekend. I have a bottle of wine in the fridge - got ?10 M&S food deal for saturday night.

Not exercised this week still - getting over cold - plan to cycle to work tomorrow though and hit the gym. I am feeling VERY irritable at the moment. Partly I think due to lack of exercise. Max 2 drinks per eve,
                                one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                                X