Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A year later

:agreed:

We don't need to be told how much we 'should' be consuming by the authorities - we know we are drinking way too much and as you all say, it's our own personal journey.

Life is a continual learning journey - once upon a time I enjoyed getting a skinful, now I don't.

(I type this as my husband has gone back to bed half an hour after getting up, I feel great)

First AF day for me today - Cheers DG!!!:bigwink:

Hope you're all doing well :hug:
    Time to whip AL's Ass :b&d:
    :h ya
    Trix

Comment

A year later

Hi trixie, yay for af sunday. You can do this! and if the cravings come a calling you just tell them, hey it's af sunday, no drinking allowed so don't even bother me with your nonsense because I'm not listening!

Comment

A year later

drinkingal;1327973 wrote: Hi trixie, yay for af sunday. You can do this! and if the cravings come a calling you just tell them, hey it's af sunday, no drinking allowed so don't even bother me with your nonsense because I'm not listening!
        Lol, absolutely DG. I have already had the little devil in my ear telling me that I could have just one, I told him to :durn: off - haha.

I'll be thinking of you when I sip my AF drinkies this arvo.

Here's to us kicking his ass.
        Trix

Comment

A year later

Trixiebelle;1327976 wrote: Lol, absolutely DG. I have already had the little devil in my ear telling me that I could have just one, I told him to :durn: off - haha.

I'll be thinking of you when I sip my AF drinkies this arvo.

Here's to us kicking his ass.
          :H well done, damn those cravings!

I just wanted to check in and see how you are going. you're well on your way, stick with it, and don't listen to those evil little voices, it's all lies what they say. You are stronger than they are, kick some butt!

I

Comment

A year later

All good. Sipping my water & lemon juice.
            Hope you're doing well too.
            Trix

Comment

A year later

oh trixie that's great. yep things are good here, no al for me today :goodjob:

Comment

A year later

Hey, DG and Trix good job on planning for an AF Sunday, me too! Your Sunday may be already done. It's just noon here. Drank last night, just went out for a run and granted, I waited too long as far as being in the heat of the day but it did not go well. Hung it up after a couple miles. I want to try again tomorrow feeling good, feeling strong, feeling healthy!

TMH
                The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

A year later

Moderators Unite!

DG,
                  I liked Ffall's response too, especially "MWO gives us tools to start WHEREVER we happen to be in the journey to living according to our own goals...and our best health!"

I was looking at postings at other sites and noticed an area where a lot of the posters talked about trying to moderate and realizing that modding just wasn't for them. So it seems they discovered that in their own time and not in the time of someone forcing them to do it. That is proably one of the problems with our legal system, everything is a all or nothing approach. For example, a teen arrested for DUI will more than likely be forced to attend AA meetings. They probably are just in an alcohol abuse phase (young and foolish) and more than likely will grow out of it but our society is all or nothing so there they sit, being told they are a drunk and can never have another drink again. Or on the other spectrum, a more mature person who knows they are drinking too much, can see it affecting their lives, but they just don't want to completely give it up. Would they not do better if they could believe there was help out there to moderate and if they discovered they could not moderate, they could come to the decision to abstain in their own time? I just wish there were more support in the moderation world as most people still go around with the all or nothing thinking.

I created the Ruby Tuesday thread a couple of years ago (I think...time flies) with the hopes it could be the weekly report board which would help moderators keep stronger if they reported back to each other how their success or failure for the week went as we can't attend face to face meetings like AA members. Some states have Moderation Management meetings, but not all and if they do, there probably is only a meeting in one major city. Keep in mind that Ruby Tuesday is always a good place to discuss progress or lack of.

Have a good day everyone and *see* you later
                  Hugs,
                  :l
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

A year later

AF Sunday done and dusted for me,

I hope you are doing well too TMH & DG - I found that when I felt like having a drink I had committed to you here and that stopped me.

:thanks: for the support.

Next AF day for me is Wednesday - I'm trying to do 2 per week.
                    Trix

Comment

A year later

Hi tmh, I haven't seen you around the board much lately. That's a shame about your run but hopefully you get a good one in today.

Hi Eve, I agree with you about the all or nothing approach, I think for some people it just makes it harder to deal with their alcohol use sometimes and just stands in their way. What you said about a teenager being labelled an alcoholic is so true, especially since a teenager has no life experience to draw from and even question it, and I think it could be really destructive to a teenager to be labelled and convinced they have a problem like that when realistically it's unlikely they have a problem. I also agree with you about the lack of support for modding and harm reduction and I think it is a shame and really a lost opportunity for many people who could use it.

Trixie, I am so proud of you right now! I kept thinking of you and hoping you were riding things out. I remember when I first started doing af sundays the cravings were a bear, they just would not shut up and many times I did give in just to make them quiet, but I always felt like I had let myself down when I gave in. It does get easier with practice, and I think with each af day you do get better at talking back to them and standing your ground and over time they get quieter and some af days you don't even hear them at all.

My af sunday is done now too, tmh you're probably not far behind, Lets hope we all have a great week!

Comment

A year later

Success ~ AF Sunday went very well. Around 6:00p when we would normally fix a drink and go sit on the lanai it was tempting, but we discussed what we were going to have for dinner, got into some mindless tv, and later I ended up watching a Netflix movie with a cup of Sleepy Time Tea. Went to bed couple hrs later than usual, did not sleep too well but feel better today a little sleep deprived than - ahem - hungover. Edited to add my Bodymedia Fit monitor tells me I had 4 hrs, 45 min of sleep after taking a mild sleeping pill about midnight. Still....

Hey, Eve, nice to see you again. Notice it's always about the 1st of the month that you c/i. Would love to hear from you more as I find your comments, experience in modding quite motivating. Know you are busy what with work and your Masters program. Thanks for stopping by. Oh, btw, you commented on the Ruby Tuesday thread and I always get enthused to use it like you originally intended, but end up 'talking' to myself. LOL It's a great way to have and use a plan.

Trix - agree with you, you all helped me too!!

DG - ah, the run wasn't all that important, just a result of having had 1 too many night before. Need to work on that. You've come a long way, DG. I'd like to get where you are where I just think oh, today is Sunday, I don't drink on Sundays or Wednesdays or whatever. Good goal for June, don't you think?

TMH
                        The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

A year later

:wd::yay::happy: Well done to all those who got through a Sunday AF.

I think I am ahead of you all in Australia, Monday was not quite as successful though, but not to worry, today is another day.

Next AF day for me is Wednesday.
                          Trix

Comment

A year later

ToMyHealth;1328831 wrote: Hey, Eve, nice to see you again. Notice it's always about the 1st of the month that you c/i. Oh, btw, you commented on the Ruby Tuesday thread and I always get enthused to use it like you originally intended, but end up 'talking' to myself. LOL It's a great way to have and use a plan.
                            Hey TMH
                            Haha, it's the mom in me to check in the first of the month to be sure someone started the thread, I'm sure that's what goes on! LOL.

Good to be back and see how everyone is doing. My friend changed plans (we had wine tasting plans at a nice restaurant) and we ended up at her house. She had two bottles of wine and she and I shared one. We discussed how the shut off valve just doesn't work in some people (she has a similar problem). Her cousin has only 1 drink when we socialize and she is always done at 1. Has no desire for a second or for any more. Now that's a shut off valve that really works. But my friend is very similar to me. So...the 2nd bottle looked tempting if I had stayed and talked myself into a third but I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. Although I did not have the "I'm satisfied and have had enough" feeling like her cousin experiences I knew I should go home and have a flavorful non al drink to take that edge off. I did that and I was fine. A tiny struggle not a hurdle. Just have to keep working it if I want to kee having it.:l
                            Eve11
                            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

A year later

Well done Eve, that's such a great feeling. :goodjob:
                              Trix

Comment

Working...
                              X