July Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July Mod Squad

vliven, do you like to read? I find that to be one of the best ways to forget about AL. Try picking up a novel, if you have one, and read a few chapters. Before you know it, you will have gone a hour or more without drinking. I recommend getting a Kindle, if you don't already have one. That way, you can download anything that appeals to you on Amazon, and get started reading it right away. The "What We're Reading" forum on this site has some great recommendations!

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

July Mod Squad

I do like reading but I go thru phases it's been a while maybe I will grab a book of mine.... Still no beer....plan on getting to bed early so I just need to fight off a few more hours. I think I can do it...... Thanks for the support hope u r winning or atleast not being told what to do or what your doing wrong
      And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

July Mod Squad

LG - took yer advice- had not realized my book collection was so small settled on "the house of Hilton's" a book my sister picked up for me half as a joke at .99 cent store - not to bad so far.... I do a lot of work in Vegas for Hilton properties---- decided to get in jammies light a candle and cuddle up on the LIVING ROOM couch i/ we NEVER sit in living room cause thats mot where the TV, vidoe games and computers are just teying to change thi ga upwell another hour AF has passed gunna set up a few things for tomorrow maybe watch a lil tv and then read a bit before going to bed,.... Thanks again for the support!!!
        And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

July Mod Squad

Goood morning. Feels so good to wake up w/o all the anxiety and looking forward to that 1st cup of coffee. Was up in middle of night for awhile but don't really care. Get to play golf with lady friends today, do a grocery run (not my fav, but hey, no hangover - LOL).

LG - I have a Kindle. I've never downloaded any books that I haven't had to pay for. How do you find "free books"? Not that I'm not willing to pay for some, but I still use the library on a regular basis as I read a lot. Excellent advice, BTW. That and Netflix are evening lifesavers.

Have a fine, mod day!

TMH
          The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Good Morning Everyone! I made it through one day AF yesterday...... Just soo elated I am able to NOT stop at the liquor store let alone have an entire day AF. Not sure how I feel about more days AF but for now I am very happy. Slept like a rock last night too, feel great this morning, woke up sleepy but sleepy is sooo much better than hung over. Starting to think about all the things I want to do with my time and life now that my brain body and life are not consumed and ruined by the liquor, but I do not want to get ahead of myself and want to take it nice and slow. Do want to get my butt back to the gym and loose some of this weight I put back on before Hubby and I go to Cabo for Thanksgiving, but for some reason working out and watching my diet is one of my triggers........... For now I'll just see where this week takes me.

LG, thanks for all the advice I really enjoyed my reading last night. How were the burgers and golf?

Maur - Enjoy the picnic - will it be an AF picnic? I am very jealous as I am stuck in office and not at the park on a beautiful day.

D - we miss ya and hope all is well with wife and twins

TMH - I absolutely love going to the library and I love reading a book not a screen..... Enjoy

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hey! vliven, I'm so glad that my advice helped. Reading has *always* helped me stay AF. I can watch a movie and drink, but I cannot read and drink...I really get into reading, especially if it's a good book, and forget all about anything else. Plus, after a few, can't read, so don't like to do both.

TMH, there are some free Kindle books on Facebook. I think it's Kindle Nation? And others for .99... Also, check out your library. My library rents ebooks that I can download to my Kindle directly from the online catalog (if they're not checked out). The ebooks disappear after a certain borrowing period, so that's how it works.

I didn't read any post about a picnic. Hmmm, Maur? What did I miss?!

Well, at work, day 2 of this week. So far, so good...3 hours till lunchtime.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hi, All! I'm sure most of you have seen my thread (God Laughs when you Make a Plan) and know that my wife gave birth to our twins on Friday night. An update: She's doing very well and coming home tonight, the boys are doing well but still in NICU (they were premies, after all, at 35 weeks) and should be home at week's end or early next week. We finally settled on names: Zach and Teddy (Zachary and Theordore).

It was amazing to be sober, present and accountable throughout the whole experience. The dinner I was talking about having my first glass of wine came last night, and I didn't tempt fate, my wife and I shared a bottle of sparkling Cider with our Lobster and Filet dinner!

TODAY is day 17 AF. Still going to try moderation at some point, but not worried about when. Probably not any time too soon!

Dave
                Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hey Dave!! Good to hear from you and the fam!! Teddy and Zach are adorable names!! Can't wait for you to start posting pics.

I'm glad you decided to drink sparkling cider. At least you are still on track for 30 days, and like you said, it's not a big deal. The important thing was, you had steak.:H And, Lobster!!!

Sylvia Plath

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hi, LG, Yeah, it's good to go AF and feel strong doing so. Some of my friends that are encouraging me to just stop won't like this, but I stopped at the local "club", which is the Italian-American club, a good place to drink with friends relatively cheap for around here. I've been going there for years (though I'm not a voting member, since I'm not italian!) and cannot remember the last time I went in and didn't drink. This was Saturday night, the babies weren't yet 24 hours old.

Some of my good friends were there, and I had the video camera I could show video of the boys taken an hour earlier. I drank water, and didn't really crave my Heineken or tequila, but didn't stay long as everyone wanted to buy me drinks. It felt good to go there and not feel like I had to drink, or that I'd have more fun if I drank. I don't think I'll go there often, but don't feel the need to avoid it like it's some death trap, either.

I cannot believe today is day 17. I don't think I'm going to try to mod on day 31, but looking forward to taking that goal and crossing it off. Probably going 6 weeks, as I've been told that's an milestone in terms of cleansing my body. Who knows, maybe longer, maybe never...but definitely not today.

Dave

Comment

July Mod Squad

Ok, I guess my post was out of date, but like I said, I've been away for awhile....I've been doing fine, personally, drank a little too much yesterday (only beer), but was in bed early and up early today...

my personal life has been more on my mind than anything else.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hope you're ok, Stewarts. Is something in your personal life troubling? Yes, the trouble that was brought from the Nest to here has been resolved, I believe.

Well, it's nearly 9 pm and I'm bored. Bf wasn't feeling well and went to bed over an hour ago. I don't feel like powering up the PS3 and downloading Netflix. Right now it's only downloaded on the Wii, in our bedroom. No cable or antenna, so no TV. Internet's crap tonight. No desire to drink, though...guess I'll just read my book, and wait to go back to work tomorrow, lol.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

July Mod Squad

Lg- boredom stinks but atleast u r not turning to AL.... Me n hubby grilling dogs n braughts with oven baked French fries n gunna watch some sons of anarchy... I read more of
                          My book waiting for him then cracked a lite beer when we started cooking no liquor yet and only one or two beers so feeling pretty good hope yer evening brings u some rest atleast

Comment

July Mod Squad

crap crap crap - well while I have been successful at avoiding liquor store stop after work, I was unsuccessful in peer pressure, neighbor came over last night and we did a few shots.... I feel like crap and wish I hadn't done it, not nearly as bad as I use to get and luckily I slept well but NEVER AGAIN I swear! I am sooooooooo over this. O well today is another day, think I will do another AF day - I better get to work - Hope everyone has a great day!

Comment

July Mod Squad

Sorry, vliven that you were tempted and caved. I probably wouldn't have been able to make it to work if I had done that. Brush off and start over. Today is a new day.

I did continue to have a boring night last night. I sat on the couch and read my book till nearly 11:30, then went to bed. Woke up about 3 times to go to the bathroom (still haven't learned that I can't drink non-AL drinks right up until bedtime...if you don't pass out drunk, you DO wake up and have to pee-- A LOT). Sorry for the TMI.:H

Hump day is upon us! One more work day for me till the weekend, baby! :woot:

Sylvia Plath

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hi, All,

Today is day 17 AF for me, and it's looking good for making it to 18!!

My wife came home from the hospital last night, though the boys remain in the NICU. Intellectually, I realize that they're getting care that we're not ready or equipped to provide (they've had some sleep apnia, which could be critical if undetected, but monitored in NICU so they're stimulated and resume breathing deeply immediately, and fortunately have gone 48 hours w/o incident, and they're taking 1/2 their meals through a feeding tube) but it's hard not to be there, and when we're home my wife and I don't know what to do with ourselves. Work is really hard to focus on, but they're being very supportive, and I'm kind of doing some things to set up a productive week next week and things like that which don't require too much focus! So, despite knowing they're in good shape I think about them constantly and just want to be with them. There's a picture attachment in the God Laughs thread...

Anyway, thanks for all your support and well wishes. I'll be back to contributing to the thread more regularly, we should try to grow it as well.

Vliven, don't worry about your night, get back on that pony and string together a bunch more without shots.

LG, hope all is well with you. I'm taking Friday off, too!

Everyone else I'm not mentioning, sorry, I've just been too busy these past few days to keep up with the thread. Best of luck everyone. If you need inspiration, realize how important it was that I was sober when the big important moments came last Friday.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X