August Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Mod Squad

LG Congrats on the publishing, seems like you have a lot of good things going on for you in your career - whats the latest on the TW and the BF saga.... Not sure why but I love heraing about that, maybe cause I can relate

DG - I love to get visits from nature - we have a hummingbird family that comes and nests in our tree for a few months every year

D - Sunday sounds like a good plan, I hope you enjoy and it goes well for you

Eve where is Vaca?

FF - I agree the cleaning is VERY therapeutic - I didn't plan it consciously though and I am just ecstatic that my coping mechanism is NOT ONLY a great productive one with results I can enjoy but that it is NOT a destructive one like LIQUOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lila - so glad you passed that test, where do you go from here

Hope all is well with everyone else out there today
    And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

August Mod Squad

vlivengood;1371125 wrote:
      Eve where is Vaca?
      V,
      San Clemente, CA. We love it here!!
      :l
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

August Mod Squad

Very Jealous Eve, hubby and I finally agreed that with the shocking cost of sons college we just can't do our Thanksgiving to Cabo trip this year..... I am pretty bummed because I was looking forward to it....
        :upset:
        And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

August Mod Squad

LG, a big Congratulations on being in print! Good for you! What an accomplishment! FF
          . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

August Mod Squad

FarfallaP;1371235 wrote: LG, a big Congratulations on being in print! Good for you! What an accomplishment! FF
            Yes, LG, I forgot to congratulate you. Kudos to you!!!
            Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

August Mod Squad

Thank you, Eve, FF and V. It's just a book review gig, but it does make me feel a bit proud.

I'm jealous too Eve, of your vaca. Looks like my vaca will be a stayca.

One hour till quittin' time. Back later...

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

August Mod Squad

drinkingal;1371122 wrote: Hi LG, I think these things would easily pick off a young chicken which may be where the name comes from. I've seen this one from my yard flying off with a dove in its claws in the past so it definitely targets birds too and when I've seen it with feathers hanging out of it's mouth it did look it had just eaten a bird. The other birds around here hate it so they definitely see it as a threat and the smaller birds just freak out when it's around and go nuts and hide in the shrubs but the larger birds will swoop it like they're trying to chase it off. I suspect they probably eat a lot of other things too, we get lots of rodents around this area so I've always suspected that's may be why it's here.
                I forgot about the hawks around here. They might be similar. I see them on campus often during certain times of the year (can't remember when now). They frequently take squirrels right out of the trees. It's fascinating to see, but unfortunate for the poor squirrels. Life.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

August Mod Squad

Out of line big time

"Why don't you "moderators" check in with the thread:GOODBYE TO EVERYONE

Only trying to help, This stuff is not to be played with.
                  You are only fooling yourselves!

Seek the MWO!

Bikesurfer"

Did anyone see this on the thread where someone was purportedly going to commit suicide? This is disgusting IMO.
                  Cashy
                  "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

August Mod Squad

Ok something constructive for a change so I don't get stereotyped as the moderating troll!! I went 30 days AF and it helped me a lot to get a bit of perspective. Had a couple of glasses of wine tonight and could not finish the second one... That's how I usually drink but am in a bit of a crisis in other areas of life at the moment so was very happy to not overindulge and better than that - to not care. I do have bipolar affective disorder so am on meds for that - was told by my doc that going AF and letting the meds work properly for a while, would help me drink moderately...I think he might be right. Still want to stay basically AF for now as I'm not enjoying the drinking so no point when so much else to deal with. Plus my (really long term five days binge at a time) aloholic mum got out of hospital with pneumonia and has gone on a bender - what a role model for taking it easy! Lucky I'm adopted so at least no panic on the gene front.
                    Cashy
                    Xxx

Comment

August Mod Squad

LG, oh the poor squirrels! but yeah it's all the way it's meant to be in nature. Congrats on getting published by the way, woot! Let us know when the book comes out

Eve you lucky thing, I hope your having a great time.

vliven, glad to see you checking in. I feel so good when I get something that's been falling behind accomplished, even if it's just housework. It's like one less thing nagging at you to get done.

Lila, well done on passing the test, you go girl.

Cashy, glad to see you back. I did see that post but the only purpose behind it seeemed to be to rile everyone up all over again so I didn't respond. Take care of yourself, you have enough stress going on and getting upset because of someone who wants to fight to the end to be right isn't worth it.

Here's to a great weekend everyone

Comment

August Mod Squad

You too DG thanks - that's why I didn't respond to him

Comment

August Mod Squad

What was he or she even talking about anyway? That if we drink moderately we might be suicidal? That we caused that poor woman to consider suicide? I did apologize on that goodbye thread for anything I might have said to trigger her thoughts (act?), but I can't believe that anything I said would have made that much of an impact.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

August Mod Squad

Cashregister;1371447 wrote: "Why don't you "moderators" check in with the thread:GOODBYE TO EVERYONE

Only trying to help, This stuff is not to be played with.
                            You are only fooling yourselves!

Did anyone see this on the thread where someone was purportedly going to commit suicide? This is disgusting IMO.
                            Cashy
                            Cashy,
                            I misunderstood this post at first and thought you sent it, but you were sharing what Bicyclesurfer was saying to our mod group. So this reply is to Bicyclesurfer should he or she lurk over here and see my response.

Cashy, for me the word is sad rather than disgusting. I've been hanging here a long time and there was a different member who killed herself after one failed attempt that I know of. I don't follow the AF boards that well so don't remember all of the details but it was extremely painful for everyone who knew her online or in real life, as well as lurkers like me.

Alcohol is a depressant and it does (very often) make people depressed. Think of the people crying in their beer when drinking, or anxiety ridden, depressed, and miserable after a night of drinking too much.

The one thing to remember Bicyclesurfer, is that everyone here is at a different stage in their lives. Studies show that the small group of people (percentage wise) that can effectively moderate were never "alcoholic" in the first place, but were alcohol abusers. I personally don't relate to the slogan "It's 5 o clock somewhere". I don't have that struggle of ...I've GOT to have a drink! My life is kept busy with family, traveling, and school just ended (got a Masters degree) so I have been hitting the books and computer the last 2 1/2 years and didn't want even 1 glass of wine to interfere with my studies. That is a far cry from a person who starts drinking in the morning or the person who plots and plans all day of when they are going to have that next drink. My struggle however (and this is what makes me a non-normal drinker) is sometimes once I have a drink I really feel that desire to have a second and if I allow myself a third or more, then I have gone over the limit for what I feel comfortable with the next day. So I relate and understand the horrible craving part, but my problem is not life threatening and I am not going to destroy my liver because I have 3 drinks on a Saturday night and not 2.

With all of that being said however, this is why I tread lightly on AF boards. Because for someone else, the next drink could literally kill them. My heart goes out to that writer's suffering (the one who was threatening suicide which prompted Bicyclesurfer's comment to us modders) but on a positive note, she has a lot of support over there with long term AFers who are working their program well and have lots of good advice, support, and friendship to offer her. All of those things the mod squad is working on over here as well. We're all here to take care of each other.:h

Eve11

Comment

Working...
                            X