October Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October Mod Squad

v sorry I missed your post about your sister. That's great news and I hope she can stick with it

Comment

October Mod Squad

Thanks DG - We have been thru this many many many times with her but every time I have hope and support her as much as I can.....
      And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

October Mod Squad

Just saying hi everyone :wave: going to work right now, will post more as time permits...

Going to the gym after work instead of drinking.

Comment

October Mod Squad

Good for u BG! You must work a swing shift somewhere.....

I have to go to the gym BEFORE work even though that means at 4am because similar to my resolve not to drink every am followed by stopping off at liquor store every night despite my morning promises to myself .... I am never able to make it to gym after work

LG- did you make it ok? How you feeling about tomorrow?
          And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hi bondgirl! I saw your post on the monthly mod board, can you post here about your tapering too? I did a very slow tapering down so I'm really interested in how you did it. Have a good session at the gym.

You lot make me feel like such a sloth! :H

Comment

October Mod Squad

Ideas welcome

Hi everyone,
              What does tapering mean, is it cutting back on booze?
              Still trying to get over losing Dad and Sis, booze is short term fix but makes it worse next day.
              Going up the forest with the dog but come 6 o'clock I'll start looking for a drink. On bottle of wine and 3 ciders daily, any ideas?
              It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

October Mod Squad

hi lasha, (I promise I'm not stalking you around the boards, I think I'm just usually the first to post in the morning.) Tapering is just stepping down your alcohol intake, so for example if you drink 10 drinks a night, you would work towards only drinking 9, then 8 etc. What it does is allows your body to adjust to getting less alcohol and lessens the physical withdrawal, as well as the mental withdrawal in my opinion.

something you could try is doing away with the wine for now and just drinking cider or beer. I've always been a bourbon or scotch drinker so what I did was switch to cider for a long time. The reason I did that, is because you simply have to drink a much larger quantity of liquid to get the same amount of alcohol and it can really slow you down. Wine is about 14/15% I think alcohol, beer and cider are about 5% or less, and it just makes it a bit harder to consume as much alcohol when you have all that extra liquid filling up your stomach, and you get affected more gradually so you tend to have your wits about you a bit more too. That's what I found anyway and it was a trick I used to get used to drinking lower amounts of alcohol each night to get used to it, so it might be worth a try.

Comment

October Mod Squad

Good morning.... Everyone please remember to send good thoughts to LG on her big day!!!!

I know she'll do great

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hi Drinkingal,
                    Good idea, why didn't I think of that, I think I was too worried about weight gain. I'll let you know how I get on with my tapering:thanks:

Comment

October Mod Squad

Welcome Lasha, I know a lot of people have used the tapering off method around here.... I'm sure you could just do a search on the boards for "taper" and learn a whole lot about it. What is your end goal?

Sorry about your losses. a lot of people seem to turn to AL in tough times but booze is not any type of fix for it, be it long or short term.

Hope you stick around and share with us your journey.....

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hi vlivengood,
                        Love the name, I would like to go down to a couple of drinks a day and no blow outs. I think it's going to be hard but I managed to get down to 16 unit's so keep going. I'm sick of this depression and just think I could take the car to see bands locally or go up to London for events etc etc without worrying about getting a drink all the time. Thats the life for me. Going to Mexico in 2 weeks for hols to sip pineapple juice by the pool and swim with dolphins. Couldn't do that a few months ago.

Comment

October Mod Squad

Lasha good for you we have another bored.... when your ready, where us modders keep track of how many AF days we rack up in a week... not that that is all modding is about... I often enjoy a few beers 6 nights of the week but for me moderation means DO NOT TOUCH THE RUM.....

:welcome:

Comment

October Mod Squad

vlivengood;1387416 wrote: Lasha good for you we have another bored....
                            V, I thought you were going somewhere else with this, like "we have another bored member.." hehe
                            but this is a great idea, and lasha when you're ready, and that might not even be just yet, but when you are, come on over and join us for a day af a week or whatever on our other thread

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hi everyone, here's some info for you, especially for drinkingal and Lasha who asked about tapering.

I tried tapering but sort of fumbled it, ended up using benzos (Ativan) to do it. Will post full story on the new members thread when i have a chance...

Here's some great info on tapering and how to do it right.
                              How To Taper Off Alcohol
                              Note you can use benzos too, which mimic the effects of alcohol... so it's not a long term solution, but either Ativan or tapering will keep the withdrawal symptoms largely at bay until the "danger zone" is past. Do NOT quit cold turkey!!! Besides being unpleasant, it is DANGEROUS!

Here are some of the things you could experience, and in what time frame. I had tremors and alcoholic hallucinosis, right on schedule!, which are unpleasant but not dangerous. Seizures and delerium tremens ARE dangerous and mean a trip to the ER! That's why you are tapering, to keep your body from going into the severe withdrawal that causes those conditions.
                              Delirium tremens - Diseases and Conditions | Aetna InteliHealth

Here's some firsthand accounts. Note this is from an abs board so there's no tapering, but some used medical assistance and others went cold turkey. Guess which one was more unpleasant. Some were able to go from severe hallucinations and shakes to feeling normal in as little as four days, others needed a week or two.
                              Quitting..What to expect ..What we did - Page 2 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Here's the thread that led me to this site; it's a firsthand experience of tapering. There's also another story linked to in the HAMS site (first link above).
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ggy-34156.html

This is a quiz based on a study of alcoholics on your chances of moderating successfully. The site is a program meant to teach you to successfully mod.
                              Chances of Success

And finally, here's an article I find very useful when yet another person tries to sell me on AA. Basically, Type A alcoholics (this includes me) respond to Zoloft (which I take), while Type B do NOT and sometimes even get worse. Type B do well in AA, which suggests the converse, that Type A do NOT do well in AA. Eventually I'd like to start a thread on AA and who benefits and who doesn't. I'll keep it on the mod board because I know I'll get pummeled for it on any abs forum!
                              Type A Alcoholics Respond Well to Zoloft

Lasha, it sounds like you are down to 8 drinks a day, which is GREAT. I went from 2 or 3 bottles of wine (sometimes more) to one beer in the last month. Taking my time to decide my new drinking goals.

Out of time for today, enjoy the links everyone and good luck!

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hi Lasha, welcome to our little corner of the world! where are you going in Mexico? several of us have been there and really had fun...enjoying it vicariously through your trip would be fun, too! You have already got lots of good info on the tapering off ... Plus there are probably even more ideas on MWO, too, as I think DG mentioned.
                                V, I DO remember your sister and her sad story...I am so GLAD for her that she is starting again! And I bet your encouragement has helped her, too..
                                LG, I am sending you good vibes right now, as today is Thursday, and I bet you are enjoying giving your presentation as much as the listeners are having fun hearing it. Let us know how it went, and safe journey home again.
                                Not much new with me...speaking of calories and fitness, that is what I am focussing on now...avoiding Halloween candy! TMH, such an inspiration on the fitness front...thanks ... Happy Thursday and Friday, everybody! FF
                                . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                                X