Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December: Remember: Everything in Moderation

Hello all!

Finally I am recovered from our daughter's wedding...it was a magical event, and all went well, thank goodness. And now, on to Christmas preparations...

D, good luck with the move, and TMH, I envy you the FL time...hope to get back there after the holidays.

Eve, I truly appreciate the effort you put into supporting this part of the site...thank you!
    Ally, good to see that you are as active as ever...and hi, Ringing Cedars!

My moderation program seems to be working ok...still like checking into MWO for the encouragement, especially as the liquor industry certainly advertises heavily at this time of year!

Take care...will be checking in every now and then... FFP
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Lila: at first I took the glutamine pills and I stayed in bed though didn't drink. But when I took the powder form, I noticed more energy and I feel like it helps me concentrate too. Glutamine is awesome!

I didn't lose weight at first because I was grabbing sweets. Now I'm on a diet and exercise plan. So far lost 5 lbs.

I'm glad you are getting more energetic and thinner too! I'm really hoping to spread the news about glutamine and kudzu to anyone who will listen but I hope they don't have too many long term side effects.

Hugs...,
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Oops, just wanted to add a "Hi" to Lila, long time no see...good to see your prettty purple flower again! I looked up the book you mentioned..."Chemistry of Joy"...sounds interesting.
        Just for the record, my plan, at first, included the self-hypnosis cds from this site ... (if you google quite a bit, I think the words are somewhere on the web, and you could record your own...in the end, you still have to make up your own suggestions to yourself, anyway...)
        reading people's stories here on MWO and what worked for THEM, plus the All-One supplements, too. The Toolbox thread in the Longterm Abstainers section also has LOTS of good ideas...good luck! FFP
        . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

It's a new day and what a beautiful day it is when one wakes up without any effects from drinking the night before! Here's to an AF or (moderating the way we should) week-end!

:l
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

hi all-
            thanks all for remembering me! Feeling bummed out today, had 3 and 1/2 beers tonight. (micro beer, if that makes any difference, which it doesn't) And today, I noticed myself craving a cookie at lunch, which I didn't actually have. So, maybe I need to take more L-glut. I take a generous scoop in the morning, but am gone all day. I also take four Kudzu pills early am too. Maybe I need to pack them for midday, because I do know they work. Alcoholic, how much do you take? Farfalle, I own the set of hypnosis CDs, maybe listened to them once. Every time I buy earphones, my kids take them. Okay, I need to go to TJ Maxx and buy some more. I feel sad, I was flying high with my new independence, now here I am.
            But, in general I am drinking less, and am feeling happier. Just not so much tonight.
            TMH, glad you popped in!
            L

Comment

Hi TMH, eve, FFP, D f Ct, Lila:

Had a horrible day at work today. Endless work, then someone I knew passed away. It's been a horrible month for me because my mom also passed away earlier this week. That's two deaths in one week!

And my husband has been working late almost everyday, leaving me alone without anyone to talk to.

Lila: I use 1-2 scoops of glutamine and put in water and drink it through out the day. I would estimate about 3000 mg of l glut a day. I hope that's not too much. I've kind of been experimenting and noticed that I can just take l glut without kudzu. But if I'm going to cave in and drink, ill take 1-2 300 mg of kudzu try to see if that would reduce my intake. When I was taking kudzu regularly, I really couldn't drink more than 2 glasses of wine w it. Now that I don't really know if taking kudzu before drinking really helps. I'll probably try it out just because I'm curious but I think I'm not in the mood to drink these days. Just really bummed out about my bad luck these past 4 days.

I just feel like crawling into bed...
              Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
              A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

omg, al, so sorry - i don't know what to say...do take good care of yourself, crawling in to bed sounds appropriate to me!
                thanks for telling me your dosages, it is helpful.

Comment

Alcoholic;1423100 wrote: Had a horrible day at work today. Endless work, then someone I knew passed away. It's been a horrible month for me because my mom also passed away earlier this week. That's two deaths in one week!
                  ...Just really bummed out about my bad luck these past 4 days.
                  I just feel like crawling into bed...
                  Well, Ally, I can certainly understand why you are depressed. I am so sorry as I know everyone else will be as well (who knows who in our beautiful but weird online world). I either missed, or you never posted about your mom's passing. I am SO sorry. That is one of life's hardest things to go through other than the passing of a child, IMO.

Anyway, you sleep tight and stick with us. We're here for you. I am always open to pm's for anyone, oldies, newbies, people helping me, people I'm helping, etc.

Hugs friend, :l
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi All...Ally, sorry about your losses and hope you're feeling a bit better today. It's the weekend folks and the holiday season stresses for many, be aware and be safe:h
                    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Hi everyone ~ got some Christmas shopping done yesterday, need to figure out what's left to do. Love shopping in shorts and sandals! Going to a Christmas pageant this afternoon, then out to dinner. If any of you watch PGA golf, the Shark Shootout is on. We have tickets for the event tomorrow.

Al - I am so very sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. It's hard.

Lila - hi, heading up your way for the holidays. Did you say you took 4 Kadzu at once? Man. Just one/day made me so dizzy.

TMH
                      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Eve, love it, our weird beautiful online world. I couldn't have said it better!
                        Ally, I have had a very complicated, painful relationship with my mom, but the thought of going through what you are going through - unthinkable! (but inevitable) Hope you are doing better today.
                        TMH, good to *see* you! When I remember, I take it by the handful! No side effects, guess everyone is a little different? You are coming up here? If only I was going where you are for winter!!! Someday...I want to say "oh, I put that in the lanai, its over there in the lanai, let's sit in the lanai." Someday I want to say that.
                        Farfalle, yes I have the CDs, tomorrow I want to go get earphones. What made you successful, by the way? The supps, CDs, or did you use the meds?

well, modders, sadly, strangely, it is not easy to figure out what to do with my new found "freedom." I have started journaling again, and intend to make a list of what to do, instead of fuzzing out evenings. I am still on two a night, am easing into this.

Comment

Hi everyone!

TMH, hope you had/are having fun with the PGA stuff..

Ally,, I am so sad to hear of the losses you have suffered this week...it takes time to recover. You have my sympathy, in your sorrow.

Lila, I, too, worked my way down slowly, and I credit the hypnosis CDs with finally freeing my mind from the bondage of the idea that I could not EXIST without daily drinking.
                          But, the hard part was coming up with original suggestions that were personal to me to use during the time when the hypnotist tells you to give yourself suggestions! and what I finally did was use Byron Katie's thought retraining method called "The Work" to come up with meaningful suggestions for ME.
                          Then my brain suddenly thought, "We can DO this," and several weeks later, I actually went a whole 24 hours without a drink, then another 24, and then another.
                          Now to not drink is more like passing up a dessert that really looks delicious...yes, restraint is called for! (BTW, Eve, thanks for the concept of a restrained drinker...I REALLLY like that.). Whereas before, I was COMMANDED to have a drink...I literally felt I could not live without it. Inane, no?
                          Since I drank also to "relax," I am still reluctant to do anything that might put pressure on myself in the evenings...which means I often watch somewhat silly tv and surf MWO in the evenings. anyhow, that's pretty much how I was able to change my mind. Good luck! FFP

Comment

ok, amazing. now i really am going to get those earphones! and start with those cds I have had for all these years. thanks for telling what worked. going 30 days, then modding just seems like such a stretch right now, good to hear there are other ways.

Comment

I certainly applaud the whole notion of the thirty days abstinence, but I have not done that...in fact, I do not count the days, as I want to feel free to have wine if we go out to dinner. My husband does not want me to view myself as an "alcoholic" (with all the negatives which the term implies) and I go along with that notion...so occasional drinking avoids that.
                              The REAL trouble with this approach, (essentially, his "take it or leave it" view of alcohol), is that for ME it still keeps alcohol on the table as an occasional "indulgence"...which contradicts the plain fact of the matter, that alcohol is a poisonous substance which human beings should avoid putting in their bodies...just as Allen Carr and Jason Vale point out.
                              Nothing like a fun dilemma! Meanwhile, on to the Yuletide chores...stay warm, everybody! FFP

Comment

Oh, I DO give myself special stickers in my journal on every AF day, and I feel a real sense of accomplishment when I do that every morning...and for a while I used the drink tracker, and watching those days add up felt good, too! The real payoff for me has been the annual abdominal ultrasounds, which now show everything to be perfectly normal, thank goodness. Most folks don't have the fatty liver diagnosis to scare them into action...something which seemed like a real negative at the time has proven to be a positive in the long run. FFP

Comment

Working...
                                X