Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June Mod Squad

Happy Monday, All!
    So, at my acupuncture treatment on Friday, (which by the way, is still working for me... NO feelings of depression at all since then - can it possibly have worked so fast?) I learned of a new technique that I am going to start using to help with moderating. It is called Emotional Freedom Technique. I could try to explain it, but it would be much better if you are interested, to google it. There are some really good, explanatory sites.

Have a great week, everyone. Can't believe June is half-way over already.

Comment

June Mod Squad

ToMyHealth;1520568 wrote: I've been there myself. That tunnel can get very dark and narrow. No shame in correcting that chemical inbalance.
      Happy to report I had a very moderate drinking weekend. It's kind of taken a backseat. Does that make sense? Very much wanted to feel good today to do some housecleaning, get a good workout in, and start preparing for travels.

TMH
      HI tmh, yes depression can take you to a very dark place sometimes, and it's easy to feel like you shouldn't be feeling this way, and good grief don't admit to anyone how dark the thoughts can get or they'll think you're nuts. It sounds like you had a good weekend, great to hear drinking is "taking a back seat" I think that's really big progress when that happens. :goodjob:

LG, I so miss your daily chatter here, but I also get why people decide to leave the forum and move on with other things. I'll look into the book you mentioned, I'm reading another recommended book at the moment and I have to admit I'm just not a big reader :blush: never have been for some reason and it takes me ages to get around to reading each book and finishing it. I'll check out your recommendation too and track it down.

NNG, that sounds amazing that you're getting such good results with the acupuncture, fingers crossed it keeps working for you and let us know how it goes. It's pretty amazing what some of these natural therapies can do isn't it

saw a great movie on dvd the other day called "snitch", starring the rock. I'm not usually a fan of his movies but this one was really good.

Comment

June Mod Squad

HI, Everyone,
        I also have a book to recommend. I told you that at my first acupuncture appointment, the practitioner introduced my to Emotional Fitness Techniques. I have started reading a book about it by Nick Ortner, called "The Tapping Solution." He also has a website by that same name with some videos. Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) - The Tapping Solution - About Though I am not finished with the book, this practice has given me a feeling of calm (and also helped me through a bit more drama with my brother regarding the sale of the family home.) I will also definitely use this practice in my moderation.

Certainly one would have to feel comfortable with alternative medicine and energy meridians to want to investigate this, but it seems like a painless and free attempt to do some self-help, in any case.

Good luck, my friends! :h

Comment

June Mod Squad

EFT

I've done EFT as part of hypnotherapy. I am not a believer in energy/meridians etc. But I think it could work if you practice regularly. It shifts the mind away from negative thinking.

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hi everyone,

Had a terrible week, my wife was sectioned on Monday for the 4th time in 10 years and it's getting worse the more episodes she has. She's not been taking her medication and I've found out she told her sister last week how she hides her pill under her tongue and then throws it away later.

Phoned up the hospital this morning and the staff nurse says she's back on her medication and is happy in her little world. She's well liked by the staff but the nurse says she wont be coming out for a long time.

The nurse also said that I must be relieved to have a break and I suppose I am but I miss her and am quite lonely, must not hit the bottle.

Sad Lash
            It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hi all,
              Boy last night was rough, visited an old friend for a bit of comfort and jeez what a carry on, everyone was drunk, people coming and going buying pot, smoking pot, drinking, my mate was doing some new drug, thought I'd get out.
              When I left everyone was shaking my hand saying how it's great to see me and I must come back, I don't think some of them knew I'd given up the drinking scene 10 no 11 years ago. WOW is there brains scrambled or what.
              I'm getting stronger to this mental health problem my wife has and getting mad, I mean why does someone stop taking her meds knowing they'll get sick, make me and her family ill. My family keeps telling me to break up with her but how can I when I love her. The answer is when she gets better which she will and comes home will be to have the injection once a week and for life. No persuading the nurse/psychiatrist that she's better and can go onto pills. The nurse at the hospital said this illness is as bad as diabetes in that she must stay on medication for life like a diabetic.
              Sorry for ranting but it's the 4th time now and I'm getting mean.
              Must stay off the booze thank goodness I've got my dog.

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hi all,
                Boy last night was rough, visited an old friend for a bit of comfort and jeez what a carry on, everyone was drunk, people coming and going buying pot, smoking pot, drinking, my mate was doing some new drug, thought I'd get out.
                When I left everyone was shaking my hand saying how it's great to see me and I must come back, I don't think some of them knew I'd given up the drinking scene 10 no 11 years ago. WOW is there brains scrambled or what.
                I'm getting stronger to this mental health problem my wife has and getting mad, I mean why does someone stop taking her meds knowing they'll get sick, make me and her family ill. My family keeps telling me to break up with her but how can I when I love her. The answer is when she gets better which she will and comes home will be to have the injection once a week and for life. No persuading the nurse/psychiatrist that she's better and can go onto pills. The nurse at the hospital said this illness is as bad as diabetes in that she must stay on medication for life like a diabetic.
                Sorry for ranting but it's the 4th time now and I'm getting mean.
                Must stay off the booze thank goodness I've got my dog.

Comment

June Mod Squad

OH, Lasha,
                  I am so very sorry. Stay strong, my friend. You cannot help your wife if you let your demons assail you. Her demons are her own and you will never understand them but you have definitely made the right choice by getting her to the place where she can get help. Does the facility where she is have spouse support groups? Are they any help?

I am sorry that you didn't get a faster response from us here, but I know that all of us are sending you strong thoughts that you get through this well. :l:l

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hi lasha, I guess it's hard to understand why she goes off her meds, it probably makes sense to her in some way and maybe she doesn't fully see how it affects her or her behavior? It probably seems senseless from the outside but the mind is good at tricking us when things aren't right I think. But it sounds like she's doing better for now and hopefully it will work out with the injections. But don't drown your sorrows lash, you've come so far and hitting the booze won't make anything better. Spend some time taking the dog for some nice walks and stay with us lash. You can get through this!

Comment

June Mod Squad

Home alone

NNG & DG, Thanks for your kind words and I am staying strong I think, went for a 3 hour dog walk with a friend who was there when it happened and it's nice to talk, she keeps telling me that it wasn't my wife talking that day but someone else. She loves my wife they're great friends and she cant wait to see her when she's better, cheered me up a bit.

I've just had my daily phone call to the hospital and the nurse says my wife is improving, wont go into detail about what she did and said but it was definitely not my lovely wife of 24 years that's for sure. Just hoping she gets better.

Did drink a bit more that night and a few nights after but shouted at myself in the mirror saying "this will not cure anything, get a grip" am now almost back down to my 3 a night and am feeling less depressed as we all know drink makes it worse.

Thanks again for listening :l

Slightly happier Lash

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hey, Lash.
                        Good for you for the dog walk and the mirror talk. You CAN DO THIS...

Your wife is blessed to have you. To hear you call her "my lovely wife of 24 years" really touches my heart. She'll come back to you - this, as you said, isn't her; but she is getting the help she needs and that is all you can do for her right now.

Stay strong. Enjoy your three ciders. Enjoy your dog. Enjoy your music. And know that we are sending you some strong thoughts for a fast recovery.

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hi everyone. Traveling, been gone a week. In Canada now, attended grandson's high school graduation last night. Very traditional complete with bagpipes and prayer. In schools? What a concept. Being facetious, grandkids attend Catholic school. Very nice. My 43 yo daughter now has 2 down, 1 to go.

LB, I read The Good House. Wow! Loved it. And yes, it is downright scary. Am reading another one by Ann Leary now. Like her style. Thanks so much for recommending.

Doing well. Son-in-law asked what's going on? How come you're not drinking your wine?. Prompted discussion from dh and me that we do but have cut back. After festivities last night we did stop and everyone of us had A DRINK. Now we have a big party coming up on Sunday, mostly outdoors and I plan to bring AF beer. Oh, might mention this visit includes the ex and his wife sharing grandchildren as we do.

Better run. We volunteered to make the dinner for everyone tonite. Need to go grocery shopping and spend some of that funny money (reminds us of Monopoly).

Hope everyone is well.

TMH
                          The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hello, all.
                            Hot weekend ahead. I hope everyone has some fun plans. We are having some folks to our lake place on Saturday to help us celebrate getting the deck re-sealed... and these lovely folks are non-drinkers, so I look forward to just sun, cool water and good company.

TMH, welcome home! Trips are always fun, but at least half of the fun for me is returning home.

Lasha, good luck this weekend. Have some nice walks with your dog... tell us more about the pooch. What kind? Big/small/etc? I have a Scottish Terrier who just had her summer hair cut - and now my husband calls her "Spaghetti Tail." Oh, well.

Happy Friday, everyone! Stay strong, stay safe.

Comment

June Mod Squad

NNG - not home yet, in Canada, will get home on Tues. it's grandson's 18th birthday and Prom today. So different to have Prom after graduation. Nondrinkers are excellent friends. Personally, I don't have many. Found the statistic that most people don't drink incredulous. Have fun on the "new" deck!

LB - OMG, the power of suggestion. Book I'm reading now has main character (american) in Brit hospital. Dh & I discussed if our insurance would kick in here in Canada should something happen. Was up in middle of night researching heart attack symptoms for women. For hours my left arm had slight pain, felt tingly. Think I fell asleep on it.

Like NNG, wish everyone a good, safe weekend!

TMH
                              The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

June Mod Squad

Hi all, My wife is on the mend says the doctors and staff so I'm feeling better and she should get out at the end of next week. Feels like a weight off my shoulders, the meds are so good she convinced herself she was not ill and did not like to be thought of as mentally ill so stopped taking her pills. 6 months later and Wham! She wont be doing that again.

Boy was it hard to not go down the pub, I feel for all those living alone. Went for a refreshment after a dog walk with a friend and we had a pot of tea for two. must admit we weren't alone, went great.

NNG, I'm co-habiting with a chocolate roan Cocker spaniel and he's great fun, hates it when he's left alone and he's a real one man dog, wont go with anyone else if I'm there.

TMH, I would check up insurance better to be sure, don't know what I'd have done in the past without it when holidaying outside GB. Started up a GH in the North of Scotland in 2003 after I gave up the booze to have a break and ran it for a year. Had a ball with all the tourists, not a drink in sight "much" and the Americans especially were always amazed we have free national health. My other Sister runs it for me know as the lure of oil money was too much, Shame but I'll run it again.

Happier Lash
                                If I can lay off the booze during this, anyone can.

Comment

Working...
                                X