Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I concentrate? Lose wt or AF?

Alas,

Ate too much sushi yesterday after work. BUT - while I did have wine with all that fish, I still stayed under 6 units.

So DGirl wins over alcohol but loses to sushi...

I'm tired and don't feel like working out. It's a blizzard here (again! what a winter!), so I think I'm just going to read and write all day. Green tea, here I come.

Comment

Hi. I'm not sure where I have gotten derailed, but I certainly am. During my AF time FH January I was going to drink tea, watch Netflix, start knitting in the evenings. I just checked my Netflix queue - I have 2 out, one I got on 12/5 the other on 1/2. WTH????

The problem is I am way overscheduling myself. Month of January has only 5 blank days, many days have 2 events. It dawned on me Saturday, my goodness, I am retired. Why do I feel like I am always rushing? Again, yesterday. Baked pie in morning for Sunday evening dinner out, played 9 holes of golf with 3 guys (which I am discovering I really don't enjoy, dh being one of the main culprits as in getting way too upset when not doing well), home at 4:30p, party at 5p.

Evenings include alcohol so between the rushing to one activity, event after another and the drinking, I am just plain worn out in the morning. Time to re-evaluate, start enjoying life more. And time to cut way back.

Thanks for listening. It will come together!

TMH
      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Hey, happy to report that even though my house could use some attention I took the time to enjoy this beautiful, sunny day. I used ET for 15 min, then ran/walked 3 miles and biked 3 miles. Changed into swimsuit, grabbed a couple magazines and laid by pool for about 50 min. And now I just placed a request for a couple books from library after reading the article "Heaven is a Place on Earth".

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Comment

TMH, the day you just described is a day I dream of! I am also retired (recently and am finalizing tax and book work for my businesses) and want to let go of some of my commitments. For me, my commitments are volunteer positions.. I don't know how to back off. I am so used to being over-scheduled! I'm afraid my downtime will lead me to too much time to eat/drink. I also find the need to be valued because of my contributions to the community.

Thanks for making me think about this! I'm glad you had the R & R you deserve!!

P.S. I'm glad this arctic blast didn't get all the way down your state! I am apprehensive to commit to winter vacations in Florida because I have been there for winter cold snaps that made the immigration officers wear gloves in the Bahamas while viewing my passport! Twice!!!
          "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
          ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

Our big tournament got rained out. Didn't stop the eating/drinking part. Started Wed nite. Wonderful food. Next day lunch scheduled for 11a, golf to follow. Too much rain so they gave us lunch and offered Happy Hour pricing. Didn't have any drinks. Instead we went to a late afternoon movie.

Plan was to show up today at7:30 for breakfast. During brkfst they announced golf was a go. Then it poured and put us over the edge. Canceled but free Mimosas and Bloody Marys. Did not stay for any - it was barely 8:30a!

Went to FC, used Et for 15 min, TM for 30 and bike for 20 min. And now the sun has broken out and we are headed for 80's tomorrow.

DipGal, I feel so sorry for people who come down for their 1 week vaca and get cold weather. Most times it is shortlived, like this was 2.5 days. Awful to get burned 2X.

DG, I've looked at that drink app- sorry, can't understand it. Way too complicated for me. Is it because I don't think in units? WTHeck is a unit? An oz? I think it would be so eye opening as you found. You are doing very well, BTW.

TMH

Comment

Hi, my lovely friends,
              I am checking in because I am finally ready to start tomorrow with the cleansing diet, and no alcohol for February. It is really something I am looking forward to! I know there will come days when I really am tempted, but, with your help, I'll behave.

Four years ago this month I weighed 212, and by November had gotten down to 155, with two marathons under my belt. In the more distant past I was up to 250. Though I don't think I can sustain 155, I certainly can do 160 and that is my goal. I am not exactly sure what I weigh now (haven't wanted to step on the scale since the holidays) but I am sure I have at least 25 pounds to lose. SO, here goes!

As I implied above, exercise is definitely the deal for me, along with sensible eating. I have done the Atkins diet, the extreme no fat diet, and also fasting. None of it works for me. What does work is a cleansing diet followed by sensible eating along with exercise. Well, we'll see. I have to be honest with you, and with myself. Step by step, right?

Comment

Good luck NNG!! I'll start tapering on my AL consumption on Monday.. until then I am trying to see what the naltrexone pills do for me..

Glad it's up to 80 To My Health.. So jealous! Waiting for the next snow event to arrive tonight.. blech. Good for you on passing up all those drinks!!
                "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
                ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

Hi, all.
                  Two days in. So far so good! I was shocked and surprised to find out when I stepped on the scale, that I have gained more weight than I thought. Poop. But now it is going to come off. Step by step!

Comment

Hey NNG are you on a cleanse type diet? Bet you shrink fast! We want details,

How's it going Dipgal?

Started day with omelette breakfast on lanai. Foggy early today, now 82 & bright sunshine! Going to play 9 holes this afternoon.

Need to run!

Comment

ToMyHealth;1621062 wrote:

DG, I've looked at that drink app- sorry, can't understand it. Way too complicated for me. Is it because I don't think in units? WTHeck is a unit? An oz? I think it would be so eye opening as you found. You are doing very well, BTW.

TMH
                      Hi TMH,

I'm still not sure what a unit is, but the thing calculates that for you. If you click "add drinks" you then choose what kind of drink (my poison is white wine), then it gives you bunch of brands with alcohol content. Now - they are British brands, not Canadian ones, but I just pick a varietal with the right alcohol content (eg Sauvignon Blanc 12.5%). THEN, you choose how much - half a bottle, a regular glass (175ml), a big glass (250mls). If you use ounces, you need to convert (6 oz is about 175 mls).

So - yes, it's a bit fiddly. However, I found it really makes me focus on how much I really am drinking. When I was using the MWO drink tracker, I was cheating a bit - counting a pint of beer as one drink one day and a half pint as one drink another day.

But whatever works for you. No worries if it doesn't.

I still don't know what a unit is.... :H

Comment

Thnx, Danc Girl. I did play with it a bit, even added my "poison" just guessing on amount. That is frustrating, however. I wish it would say 1 pint or 5 oz glass. My dd lives in Canada. One thing we learned when visiting is don't bother to drink hard liquor, you can hardly see it in glass. When my son in law visits and he watches our bartender make a drink, he states God bless Americans!

Ok, I am seriously ready for some AF days. Next batch of company arrive Fri. Gives me 4 days to eat healthy and be AF. May enjoy some wine with dinner Fri night, again on Sat., then 2 days off before we have a dinner party, then 1 day off before my son and his girlfriend arrive for a long weekend. My plan is to mark off some AF days in between events.

TMH

Comment

HI, TMH. Yes, I'm doing a cleanse. No fat, no salt (:upset, no sugar or artifical sweetners except Stevia, no carbs, no alcohol, no carbonated water. Today is day 3 and I am feeling pretty antsy, but I just decided to come here instead of tossing the plan out the window.

Funny, that thing about not drinking hard stuff in Canada. I watch a lot of Brit shows, and when they pour a drink, I always think "Yeah? Thought you might put something in that glass!" Whew.

Comment

Ugh! After midnight, why is it so hard to sleep. Took a Benadryl, think I'll go take another. Or advil as leg is jumpy tonite also. The not sleeping is the worse part of being AF. Even when I give it a stretch, I have yet to see that turn around.

TMH

Comment

Up fairly early which will help for tonght. But, NNG, reading over your list of "nos" what can you eat? At first I thought of fruit. Nope, it's a carb. Green veggies & egg whites? Admire you as it can't be easy.

I walked 3 miles yest, did some floorwork type exercises but spaghtti for dinner & a. Couple treats resulted in a 2# gain for the day. Know it's the sodium in spaghetti sauce. It's so true it is 80% diet. Today I'm going to walk & bike. Having some lung tests this afternoon so cannot use inhaler which will limit very brisk walking or biking. No big deal.

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Comment

Hiya!
                                TMH, I kind of over-stated... a truly fat free diet would count out almost all meats, and this plan allows meat as well as whole eggs. And there are a few allowed fruit, 2 small servings a day. And, I break the rules a bit by allowing a tiny bit of olive oil when I cook my greens, as I know it helps the nutrients to absorb better, and honestly I cannot do without at least one cup of coffee in the morning. SO, I eat eggs, meat, lots and lots of veg, and have a piece of fruit for my treat. I don't want to step on the scale until a week is up... I hope it is working!

Too cold out today to go for our 2-3 mile walkies, so scottie dog and I will have to work out inside.

Good luck everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X