March Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March Mod Squad

Hi, there Emmy! I love your description of your drinking/non-drinking. You have it under control, my friend. I am in total amazement of you changing your own taps in kitchen and bathroom. Fantastic! I would never be brave enough.

I am looking forward to a springtime of lots of walks, good eating habits, and doing a spring cleaning in both house and body. We still have snow banks in our yard, but on the south side of the house, little green shoots and showing me that it won't be long until some flowers come. Hurray! Now if I can only keep the deer away from them, it will be very nice.

Sending out supporting thoughts to all of us. Keep up the good work, my friends.

Comment

March Mod Squad

Foolhardy not brave I would say! Doesn't help that the stopcock is a long way from my kitchen...lots of running with fingers crossed that I won't find a flood when I get back into the flat! I suppose I'll have to finish the job this weekend...I'd like to use the hot tap in the basin eventually! Oh I can't imagine how magical it wouldbe to see deer nibble the new spring shoots! You are lucky to live in such a wonderland NNG!
      Another AF night, it's really easy to do when I'm tired from the long hours. I feel like I'm looking after my body more because it's getting a bit run down, and I'm going to bed earlier too.
      I have so many books lined up to read, and not much time so I'll say goodnight and leave you with yet another unimaginative post,
      Happy weekend one & all,
      X
      Em

Comment

March Mod Squad

Happy Friday, all my friends!
        Emmy, I don't believe you could write an unimaginative post if you tried. You are always so fun to read! (And by the way, it is magical to have deer just barely outside my window, less than a yard away. Not so magical to have them denude my garden, which they do all too frequently. But they are lovely animals.)

Our little thread is not much added to these days. I think that we are all busy with life and not coming here quite as much. Though I am making some big changes in my own life, I still love hearing about all of you and want to know how folks are. We kind of ebb and flow, here on the Moderators' Boards, and that is just fine. All part of the nature of the thing.

However, check in, and let us know how you are! Crocus? Lasha? Stewarts? Dancing Girl? DipGal? Strong? And from way back, how about LibraryGirl... are you still out there?

We have built a good support system here, with Eve and TMH and Emmy and all. I value your e-friendship very much. Thank you for being here!

Comment

March Mod Squad

Good shout out, NNG! And glad to hear you are doing well. What was the final result of your cleanse?

Took some time AF this week, had a few last night. Sure more energy in the morning after being AF. Still in pj's. But I'll get going here shortly. Dh is having a boys' day out at the MN Twins Spring Training game; I made tee time for 9 holes to work on my putting. Invited a friend so guess I'm having a girls' afternoon. Supposed to get to 84 deg today. Love it!

Hope everyone has a great Friday and start to a wonderful weekend!

TMH
          The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

March Mod Squad

Ouch, I spoke too soon. Had a lovely day Saturday. Met up with my best friend and her husband to see a band. Didn't drink too much at the bar but absolutely forgot to moderate when I got to my boyfriends for dinner. He'd been out buying wine and we sampled a couple of bottles. As a consequence I've wasted my entire Sunday in bed with the most painful hangover in memory! I had to take one of his leftover hospital strength painkillers to drag myself up and drive home(to feed my cat) the headache has nearly gone. Such beautiful wine but I don't think I'm able to drink it anymore. I seem to be ok with scotch & mixer, or vodka, but red wine? Ugh!
            Oh well, back to work tomorrow, the basin taps will have to wait until next weekend!
            So this is me checking in, and saying goodnight, bring on a new day!
            X
            Em

Comment

March Mod Squad

Hi, Emmy,
              Though it is now long after your post, and long after you needed me, this is me, bringing you a cold cloth for your head, a glass of cool water, tucking you in and telling you that all is well. Your beautiful honesty always amazes me. We learn a great deal about ourselves in times like these, don't we?

The first class of my marathon training group went well. We have more people signed up than ever, and it was a fun, though VERY cold day. But then, dang it, though I've already registered for the 5k the day before and the half-marathon on the Sunday, I am not going to be able to do it this year. Nephew is getting married in the late afternoon the day before the marathon. Can't miss that! I'll plan on the races before and after our signature event to compensate.

Happy Sunday to everyone. Take care of yourselves, and know that you are all good people, good friends, and we'll work through our little problems together.

Comment

March Mod Squad

Another beautiful day in Paradise. Relaxing this morning, going to go for a walk or a bike ride, and then play 9 holes late this afternoon.

Emmy, ah that happens. Luckily, not so often anymore, right? Think of all the times you have chosen to be AF or drink much less than your friends. Hopefully, you are feeling a lot better now.

NNG, you mean they didn't check your race schedule before setting the date? Kidding. You, my friend, have motivated me. Called Road Runner Sports and have not 1, but 2 pair of running shoes on their way. Salesperson reminded me of importance to rotate shoes and knocked down the price on the 2nd pair by over $20. I printed out both the Couch to 5K and 10K programs. 3 days/week. So between not wanting to be hung over for golf and now my runs......well, more AF days to come!

Lasha, you around? Thought of you last week as in "Lasha is right, my golf is better when I'm not drinking".

Life is good!

TMH
                The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

March Mod Squad

Ah NNG I would have been a big Baby if you'd been there for my hangover! No sympathy for myself. I should have remembered to keep tabs on my drinking!
                  Oh I wish I could be as committed to my fitness as you all are. I just don't seem to have the time. I have plans to try a new yoga class but I will really struggle to get there in time. I just hate going somewhere new & turning up late or flustered. I barely have time to get changed so I've packed my yoga clothes in the car, but I don't want to get changed at work which is really silly. Perhaps I can wear track pants over my exercise tights just for the drive.
                  I'm even driving to this new job instead of walking to the tram because it saves me about an hour each day. At least I'm standing and walking around a lot at work, it's just not quite enough.
                  Of course after Saturday night I've been AF and will be until Friday. I've got a dinner with ex colleagues. Saturday is another dinner and a band then same again on Sunday. Friday will be ok as I'm driving. I'll just have to remember that hangover on the other days.
                  Bedtime for me,
                  Take care and enjoy your training you lot!
                  X
                  Em

Comment

March Mod Squad

Emmy, I am the worst of the worst when it comes to exercising when I am working. Retirement has done a great deal for my willingness to train! I didn't even have a garden when I was working.

Everyone, have a great week! AF for me, too, this week. Happy Monday!

(Now, does anyone know how I could grab a couple hours of sleep? Even AF I haven't been sleeping... Dang it!)

Comment

March Mod Squad

Hi all, another long hardworking day but satisfying. NNG you mentioned my honesty. My Mother always used to drum into us to always tell the truth, she said it's the easiest option. Then when I got my own life up and running she wished that I wouldn't! My thing in life is to only be answerable to myself, which is why I find it so easy to be honest with all of you about my drinking for example.
                      Another night of good food but no yoga I'm afraid. No excuses, just a little shy of a new place I suppose. I have a friend living nearby whom I think might be interested so I've decided to ask if she'll join me. I will always go if someone is meeting me there. I won't want to let anyone down and I'm surprisingly brave with others, especially if they are more nervous than myself!
                      I had two glasses of white wine tonight, to try and slow my manic brain down. I keep writing myself work schedules in my head, I'm sleepy enough now though. For AF sleep I would recommend a herbal mixture. Something like valerian. Health food shops here have ready prepared tablets and teas which are quite good, one I remember by blackmoores is called Restavit.
                      Sleep well,
                      X
                      Em

Comment

March Mod Squad

Morning, all! I don't have much to say today, just wanted to check in. It intrigues me that we do go through such ebbs and flows with the number of posts. I wonder if everyone is just so busy that they don't come online, or what. Makes no difference. I think of each of you each day, happy to be amongst your fine crew.

We are going up to our lake place today to open in up for the season. Early spring and late fall are our favorite times up there, because the only sounds are those of the wind and birds. This is a family place which my parents bought in the 60s, now co-owned by my three sibs and me. Joint ownership has not been easy, and this beautiful place is on the market. It will break my heart if it ever does sell, but we just can't continue the taxes on our own. Ah, well.

I'll talk to you all again on Friday.

Comment

March Mod Squad

I did it! I went to a fitness class even though my friend cancelled. So glad I did, it seems to be getting easier too!
                          I had one scotch just now, in the tv show I was just watching they all kept pouring night caps. Scotch on the rocks, I resisted until just now, but it's just the one, & now it's bedtime.
                          NNG your lake place sounds so beautiful, I'm sorry you are selling it. But perhaps it will free up funds for you to re visit the area anytime you like? Or go to other exotic destinations?
                          I too am wondering how the rest of our members are going. I hope that if they're not here, then maybe they're finding other forums more useful? Everything changes, life gets busy, it's just good to know you're here.
                          Goodnight all,
                          X
                          Em

Comment

March Mod Squad

Hi All,

Been rather busy taking bookings for GH and trying to sort out bills etc. whilst still working. Then blue it, had a bit of a bender last weekend and have made myself so ill with feeling sick and depression.

I'm going to abstain for a while to get back on track, why cant I remember not to have benders as I make myself ill. It's as if I think I can drink no problem.

My wife got a birthday card today from her brother it went on about getting drunk on your birthday is brill. Wrong

Lasha
                            It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

March Mod Squad

NNG, I think you asked, visit.scotland.org has new website for Eddlewood GH
                              My own words.
                              It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

March Mod Squad

HI I wanted to check in. I was in Austria, modding there is tough, especially with skiing. it was a fun trip though. I bruised my ribs skiing, so I've been in some pain. I had friends from Finland in town, hockey friends, and we went to the Rangers fame last night, so, last night was a drinking night...nothing bad, I was happy to see them, I guess.

My depression is way off kilter and all over the place...that's more my problem than anything else.

I have a work colleague/partner, total God squad guy, sober 30 years, AA the whole thing, but he wants to help me out...he knows my feelings about religion, but it's not about that... before I left for my trip the other week, we left from a meeting Downtown, and he asked what was up and I even started crying...all I could say was, "it won't stop." He knew what I meant, he's a little over 10 years my senior...the depressions, the suicidal thoughts, the meaningless feelings...he said, "X, I was in your same spot....I was already sober for quite some time, but miserable, divorced no kids, like you, successful, like you, but looking for meaning in the wrong places...trying to find meaning in meaningless relationships with the wrong women"...(he even stressed that). My work partner is your stereo typical, tall, dark and handsome...and always knew it and knows it...think of like Cary Grant...Oh, I know he was a super player back in the day! I'm sure he was dating models, etc. The point, as many of you know, my ex-gf, not my ex-wife even, really did a number on me... he knows all about that story...hell, she used to come to the office all the time... when I was really down, he was calling all his god-squad people to talk to me, which I actually appreciated it...they wanted me to stop feeling bad for no reason.... I even took out my phone and deleted my ex's contact information, which was a big step for me....

Speaking with my Dr. yesterday we confirmed, I'm definitely not addicting to any substances, AL or other, I got addicted to a woman...which is kind of weird, for me, because when I was younger my attitude was.."there will always be another girl..." especially in NYC...

Anyway, I rambled a little too much, I think I had a little too much fun with the Finns last night...and you know what... I don't regret it...

j.

Comment

Working...
                                X