WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

to ad to this one again, moderation is having one drink (women) 2 (men) and not having to obsess on whether to have more.

If I am out with healthy drinkers, I drink like them. 1 glass of wine, maybe a cocktail.
    If I am out with unhealthy drinkers, I drink maybe 3-4 depending on the price.
    If I want to stay AF, I can't see the unhealthy drinkers at all!, or I will end up drinking.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

my definition of moderation changes when I have that first drink! it's it's never changed for the better if you get my drift
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

I am happy - one small glass (150ml max) broken in two (2x75ml but mostly it's only 1x75ml) with seltzer/soda.....(haven't had 'neat' wine; seems too strong!) .....and finding I've left most of it beside me at the telly....!!! And pouring it away. Or not enjoying finishing it after I've eaten. And feeling relaxed around it....like it's not jumping down my throat of its own accord.... I am sooooh lucky and I really hope to stay that lucky! (And intend to do what it takes to keep it there too! Not just trusting to luck here!!!) To have found a place where I could 'toast the happy couple' with a mere sip and then put it down.....it was my utter hope to get here again.....crossing everything....but I am sooooh grateful/glad for the 120 days AF it took before daring to even try an AF beer.....and MWO.

I wish us all so much well.....everyone here is so special.
        FMs xx
        :heart: c: :heart:
        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Well this may be none of my business, I am AF right now. I am on day 27 and trying for 100 days AF.

I may or may not try mods again, but in my opinion moderate drinking is 12-14 standard drinks a week.

That is like 2 standard drinks a day or 3 or 4 standard drinks a day if you are having 3 or 4 AF days during the week.

I know that is above federal guidelines, but that is moderation to me.

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Personnaly,
            I'd be willing to bet the "federal agents" that came up with these..."standards" were probably ALL having 2 or 3 double martini lunches that our tax $$ paid for!:H (sad but true...& I bet it wasn't cheap!)
            It's ALL very individual,...really
            Don't ya think?
            We are all so differently wired & geneticly made up... I really don't think the "rules" apply in most situiations I've seen.

I do know my Hubby's a lot bigger than I am... but he has a few beers & gets sleepy... I have some & I don't get sleepy... I can stay up all night...And get thirsty!

At least now I know I don't have to drink EVERYTHING there is because it's there! Thanks to MWO... I don't count my days... I don't have to "start over" and guilt myself if I do have a drink, or forever feel like a drunken looser.

Then again I can stay up all night without the beer Maybe it's because I work nights. But that should make me tired...NOT!

Ok I'm rambling... speaking of getting off work...

I do remember though when I did attend AA,... if I "Went Out" or "Picked Up" I believe thats the term for it...(as in started drinkin).. I figured, "well hell, you've blown it now...may as well make it worth the while... go for it!
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

St. Jude

Actually after doing 39 days AF, I have decided to change my definition of moderate from 14 drinks a week to 12.

And I do understand what you mean about "picking up" might as well really go for it then.

That is why I would rather retrain myself to be a moderate drinker than to be a life time abstainer.

Some people though like the idea of just giving up the stuff for good.(even though they fall off the wagon sometimes anyway)

Eventually I want to get rid of the "wagon" and the "pickup" both.

I can see the logic both ways. But through this 39 days abs I have seen my goal is to re-train my brain to become a moderate , or better yet still an occassional drinker. (and it is OK to look at a Friday as being an occasion.)

Well, I still am trying for 100 days AF in a row, even though I find myself having to start over after 39 days. So back to the monthly abstinence board for now.

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Rosalind, I think that's a very healthy way of looking at things too.
                Wishing you strength on reaching your goal of 100. You can do it!

Happy Holidays to you! I'm being extra vigilant this time of year...
                Lots of exercise too!
                Love your Dylan Thomas quote.:h
                :l
                Judie
                The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

I'm catching up with ya almost 90 days of pure agony. The rewards are not enough yet for me. There is NO moderation for me right now, but i think about it often.

:goodjob: to you.

Luv Ripple~
                  Shirl.

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

I first read about alcohol limits some years ago I think in an article in the New England Journal of Medicine. And then I've seen others since in Moderation Management etc. Defining the standard drink as a 5 oz. glass of wine, 2.5 oz. of hard liquor, I forget what in a beer, but not the big ones, of course not. I don't drink a lot of beer--so what? 8 oz.? 12 oz.? You know the smaller can or bottle. The most recent limits I heard about was from my ex-internist who said that women should only drink 1-5 oz. glass of wine per day, for a total of (obviously) seven per week. No more than 2 in one day. All 7 should not be consumed in 1 day. Moderation Management used to say 11 standard drinks (no tumblers full of scotch) a week for women and 14 for men. I think they may have changed that; I'll check and report back. Now the interesting part of the old recommendations to me was that you could have no more than three drinks per day, and could not drink on two successive days in a row. The trick here is that you can't do that. You miss out on a drink. Can you cheat a little and drink two drinks on Friday and two drinks on Saturday? Just to get your allowed drinks in?

Someone made a comment about the feds or whoever it is who determines these guidelines, and their probable three martini lunches. Actually the National Institutes of Health sets up the federal guideline, though independent researchers may do the research.

I've known lots of doctors. Lots. And I think back and remember them as students etc. and they sure weren't sticking to these maximums and they were smoking dope besides.. Of course, most cleaned up their acts, but still the highest rates of drug, and alcohol abuse as well as suicide and divorce are among dentists, pharmacists and doctors in that order.

I just think about that when I hear anyone get righteous about "substance abuse"--now is that a weird term or what? If one is genetically or environmentally (or both) unlucky enough to have become mired in the "substance" tarpit, it's not easy to disengage. No one has a right to judge (but it sure seems like they do--even though it may be their foot next).

I personally think for me that moderate is 0 to 7 glasses of wine per week, but that might be because my ex-internist was sneering at me when he said, "let's see if you can do that, and if you can't we'll look into 'further treatment'". Not with him, we won't be.

Salem

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

I was in Moderation Management for awhile so I am familar with their limits.

No more than 3 drinks a day for women.

No more than 4 drinks a day for men.

No more than 9 drinks a week for women.

No more than 14 drinks a week for men.

And those drinks have to be Standard Drinks.

What is a Standard Drink?

one 12 oz-beer (5% alcohol),
                      one 5-oz glass wine (12% alcohol),
                      or 1 and 1/2 oz of 80-proof liquor (40% alcohol).

Some of the people there however are "MOP", which means "My Own Plan" to which someone can set their own daily and weekly amonts as long as they are still within reason.

My own plan, (For me that is) is 8-12 drinks a week, no more than 4 a day. Drinks must be standard, measuring is important. I used to have a 2 ounce shot glass, but I got rid of that one and found one that measures out at exactly 1.5 ounces.

No drinking before dinner ( the evening meal) is an important drinking rule for me. Not even one drink while cooking, dinner has to be done and on the table before I start.

I can't drink every day or I drink too much on the days I do drink, af days are important. Atleast 4 per week for me.

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

hi chilli good question i think anything beyond two is to much,b4 yur head starts spinnin, we all no tht feelin,kee up the quetioning gyco

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

moderation for me = 2 glasses of wine that somebody else pours (I like a full pour so my 2 don't equal normal pours)
                          Tiny

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

I have only been modding for the last 8 weeks and I definetly haven't felt any "buzz" whilst doing it. For me that's the catch 22. Once I get on a buzz it's all down hill for me.

My aim in the long run is to be a social drinker - as in i would like to be able to say yes to a glass of wine if I would like one but I don't want to crave one nor do I want to crave the buzz.... Don't know if I have answered your question but for me the "buzz" is what I am staying away from!!!

P.S. I posted this on another thread a little while ago - I have since gone onto the uk website an checked the number of units i drink ... HORROR of HORROR!! I have since bought myself a smaller wine glass and found a wine with a even lower AL content to stay within the recommended daily limit of 2.3 units per day but my ULTIMATE AIM is to be a social drinker .... that is if we go out for dinner or we are at a function to have a glass or two.

That is MY definition of moderate.
                            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Hey Chili!
                              When I first admitted that I had a problem I joined MYO and quit all together for around 6 months. After the constant daily cravings subsided some, I decided to test the waters a little bit. Social situations were - and still are the worst for me. I never quite know how to just be myself. So, I try to not put myself in social "party" situations. Although, when it happens I try to plan ahead and make sure I have options whether they are N/A or not. Mostly all I drink is non-alcoholic beer. I know I know...still has some alcohol in it. But, that is my crutch. I think maybe because all the "routine" is still involved. I still go to the same liquor store to buy it and it tastes like beer. So, I "fool" my body and brain into thinking we're gonna get drunk. lol Sounds funny...I know... But so far, it's working for me and maybe it could work for you too!!

Red
                              "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

~Red :h

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

in my view

if i feel that my drinking is causing unmanageability in my life on any level than i think i am drinking too much. if i am thinking about when i can drink whilst doing other things, that's unmanageable as well. i mean, i like drinking, i like being intoxicated, but i really have to watch it and mod and only get more than a little buzzed on certain 'planned' occasions with a designated driver, next day off, etc. and such or i end up getting into trouble. for me, successful modding is being in control and for those of us predisposed to alcoholism, it is hard to do, and unfotunately for some, impossible. i mean, read the book, do the mwo system to the letter, take the topamax, that's what i did, and it's been working for me, but i promised myself that if i didn't, i would go back to AA and quit.

Comment

Working...
                                X