Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is alcoholism really a disease???? here is some insight

Hi all,

Interesting article. Scanned most of it. Why are so many threatened by AA and come out so vehemently against it? I have seen it REALLY work for some. At the same time the powerless thing does not work for me. If it does not work for you then move on! Better yet, take what you can use from it and look elsewhere for further support but don't tear it down as you go.

Cinders - I love your comparison to Type II diabetes. Excellent!

It may not be clearly cut a disease or NOT a disease. I think that it is a continuum. Not all with drinking problems are alike!! It occurs to me that there has to be some type of biological/disease model concept if research has shown such response to medications.

Enough rambling!! Have a great day!!!

Evergreen

Comment

Evergreen, being "against" AA does not necessarily mean that one is "threatened" by AA. There are aspects of AA that can be, and have been harmful to people, and there are some parts of what is taught in the program that are clearly not consistent with contemporary science... and yet they refuse to change any part of the program (it was developed in the early 20th century).

Comment

I am hope filled.

Traditional ideas have sent me deeper into the abyss.

Words, ideas are sensless against the condition in my own situation. Valid attempts have been made. Challange this against all that I have association with.

Giving up is ridiculous.

It is a ridicule when faced with our genuine idea.

Never underestimate your self
        :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Hi I am new here two days AF . Does any one else get itchy skin and head when they abstain?

Comment

Hi Summer Girl, yes I do and it drives me crazy. I would love to hear any suggestions on how to cure it.......and why it happens.

Comment

Working...
            X