for home-detoxers: How to Taper off Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

betterdays - glad you're making progress. are you at a point where you could go cold-turkey/AF yet? not drinking would clear the fog pretty quickly!

wino - much the same for you. I'm not clear from your post whether you're AF now or still drinking. not drinking is definitely the way to go if you want to get healthy!

SD

Comment

yes, 3 days sober

Hello,
      Yes, I wanted to let everyone know I'm 3 days sober, no beer or anything. I'm getting ready to go into a AA meeting and honestly I don't know if I'm going to need to it any longer. I can see the benefits it has for some but if you truly want quit and make your life and the people around you happier than it comes from within. I plan on doing something with the.money I have besides waste it on alcohol. Also I've been jogging at nite before bed. Wish luck.
      Wino

Thanks for the support

Comment

Win07- Nice to hear you broke the habit. I'll be free of it in a few more weeks, but I'm thinking of making alcohol a weekend affair.

SD - No, I can't go AF right now. I have fog each time I taper, so I guess I'll have to wait until my brain gets used to these low levels. I'm lots better now as the body has adjusted.

Comment

day 5 AF

OuBetterdays,
          Only drinking on weekends is a start. The idea of the taper is only to drink enough to keep you going through withdrawal not to get a buzz. It is easier said than done since usually I wanted to drink more beer than I should. If your able to make the work week not drinking than you may be in a better place than most people on here. I wish I could just drink on the weekend. For me if I didn't have a drink every 4-5 hours I started to shake and get anxiety. I'm happy I've gone 5 days with no drinks and no withdrawal. I wish you the best and it sounds like you are doing better. My taper took about two weeks and my plan was to .stop for as long as I can. I would love to go back to casual drinking but that is how I ended up in the situation I was in. Everyone is at a different spot in there drinking. I'm happy I've been able to give myself and body a break. Yes I'm more bored but I've already thought of the money I saved and feel better about myself. I'm happy I found this website because it was a great resource for me.
          Wino

Comment

wino7;1538551 wrote: Hello,
            Yes, I wanted to let everyone know I'm 3 days sober, no beer or anything. I'm getting ready to go into a AA meeting and honestly I don't know if I'm going to need to it any longer. I can see the benefits it has for some but if you truly want quit and make your life and the people around you happier than it comes from within. I plan on doing something with the.money I have besides waste it on alcohol. Also I've been jogging at nite before bed. Wish luck.
            Wino

Thanks for the support
            hi wino,

great news, well done! if you're feeling in need of some support, head over to the Newbies' Nest:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...867-30074.html

lots of friendly people in early sobriety on that thread, going through the same stuff as you (& I) are

great work wino - keep it up

SD

Comment

Hi Win - good to know you're doing well. My taper is on since 26th of March, and while I don't have complaints as I'm at low levels, it took me months to taper. I think at the rate I'm going, I can be free in about 3-4 weeks.

Life is much better now, I can taste food and even water, I have lots of energy, and my body's getting back in shape. Let's see what happens this week.

Goodluck all

Comment

goodluck betterdays

Betterdays,
                I wish you luck, glad things are getting better. Everyone has there own pace. I had a dream this morning I was at a restaurant with friends for my birthday and they wanted to order me a beer. I made an excuse that it was my bday and said yes. When I got the beer it was really warm, I felt guilty in my dream for taking it and hard the waitress take it away. I know I'm not out of the woods and may never be fully. I do know I think about it in my subconscious now. It has been one week tomorrow with no alcohol so my body is still adjusting, but I don't have any withdrawal and I figure I've saved an extra hundred bucks in process. I've been going to AA and it is nice as a free resource. If you can cut down and that is your goal that is great. I would love to just drink on weekends if possible. I took advice to go to newbies nest and check on people who are now in same boat as me. I will check back and see how your doing though.
                Take care,
                Wino

Comment

I'm happy to have come across this. I have been needing to find somthing to help me and I am hoping this is it. I have been drinking for 20 yrs plus a 12pk to 24 a day 7 days a week with no days sober. I am scared to death I am going to wind up dying on the streets like my grandfather. (Last 18 yrs of his life was a bum on the streets of Seattle..)
                  I guess I did try once and on the second day went to the ER shaking uncontrollably. I got out later that night and went straight back to beer. I no I can't just quit and I am not a fan of AA having had to do it forced by the courts. So alot of anger and resentment associated with it I guess.
                  I am so tired of feeling so helpless and alone pounding beers to get to that sweet spot to feel human agian. I live alone and drink alone everynight for the most part. I lay around pitifully drunk either in full bliss or crying at how sad I am and how far this has gone. The past 5 yrs it has gotten alot worse. My girlfriend passed and a year after I held a very close friend in my arms as he passed. I have burried my self in Pabst and self loathing to the point it is hard to even see the light. Hoping that when this final does kill me I don't lay in my house for weeks before I get found and that my dog is ok.

I have been looking for a way out and am hoping this is the path. I don't think I can taper off in a week so I am going to go for the longer route and start with an 18 pk. 1 an hour for a day or so and taper off a beer at a time. I am scared to death of the DT's and living alone there is no one to call 911 if I have a seizure. I am also scared of the thought of not having a beer in my hand anymore. I just don't see my life sober. Though deep inside I crave it. odd thing.

As I am exited to start tapering off. I think alot of it is that I still get to drink. I am craving a beer as I type and can't wait till 6am to go get a beer. I worry I am gonna start to get a buzz and throw the beer an hour out the window and be drunk and disappointed in myself. I'm sure there is gonna be alot of fail with this but it is a start.

Thanks to all of the people who have posted on this thread I have been reading it since 2am and have read all 17 pages with alot of mixed emotion. The stories have inspired me to try at least. I just hope I give it an honest attempt and am not just using it as an excuse to keep drinking. Anyway Thanks to all and I will keep you up to date on my progress and will probably be on these boards alot. I am actually tearing up thinking about this more now that I put it in words. Scared a bit I guess but if I don't I no death is the end of this road I have been on. I feel very blessed to have just stumble upon this thread out of the blue like this and having it make this much of an impression on me. Sorry now I am rambling.

DAY 1: 18 beers 1 per hour.......
                  peace

Comment

wino7;1539639 wrote: Betterdays,
                    I wish you luck, glad things are getting better. Everyone has there own pace. I had a dream this morning I was at a restaurant with friends for my birthday and they wanted to order me a beer. I made an excuse that it was my bday and said yes. When I got the beer it was really warm, I felt guilty in my dream for taking it and hard the waitress take it away. I know I'm not out of the woods and may never be fully. I do know I think about it in my subconscious now. It has been one week tomorrow with no alcohol so my body is still adjusting, but I don't have any withdrawal and I figure I've saved an extra hundred bucks in process. I've been going to AA and it is nice as a free resource. If you can cut down and that is your goal that is great. I would love to just drink on weekends if possible. I took advice to go to newbies nest and check on people who are now in same boat as me. I will check back and see how your doing though.
                    Take care,
                    Wino
                    Thanks for the wishes wino, I hope you're doing well. I did not log in as I had bad foggy days. I know why I'm having a harder time than the others - it's because I tapered chewing tobacco as well. I thought it would be a piece of cake, but my dietician told me this - "nicotine withdrawal feels like it can kill you, but it won't, alcohol withdrawal feels like it won't kill you, but it will". I'm over the worst of the symptoms, and life feels great now. I've almost given up tobacco, and I've stopped drinking during the day. I still have a drink in the evening, but it's about half of what I used to take. Looking forward to the next taper now, but I feel "clean" already.

Best wishes

Comment

Bzzd,

Hi, I didn't see this post until today.

How are you doing? Let us know.

Please take care.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I hope everyone is doing well with their tapers. I was just feeling bad about it that I was unable to support others on here, and apologies for that. It's been a heck of a five months of taper for me, and I'm almost off now. I drink less than half of what I used to, and am sober during the day. I hope my experience helps someone else, and here are a few tips -

1. While starting the taper, go gently, and start taking a multivitamin tablet. The body starts getting rid of alcohol, and vitamins leech out with the body fluids.

2. It helps a lot if one starts eating fruits/veggies everyday, if possible make 2 meals of them.

3. Exercise is a must - I walked for miles, and while I gained some weight initially as I was eating more, I have now lost it and am very fit now.

4. Substitute alcohol with other healthy beverages - I drank a lot of lemonade and fruit juices.

5. Don't worry if your taper is slow. I drank for more than 19 years, the last three being drunk from morning till night, and I was unable to reduce alcohol quickly. But 5 months of taper and I'm a new man.

6. Talk to a dietician/nutritionist, I did and his suggestions helped a lot.

I had major uncomfortable periods, as I also tapered nicotine along with the alcohol, I think giving up one substance at a time is better.

Anyway, I'm a moderate drinker now, and will continue reducing until I'm just a weekend one. Thanks to all here and best wishes.

Comment

Betterdays,

:goodjob:

I can't moderate but am glad you can and are doing so well. Keep on keepin' on.

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders - Thanks ! The hardest part of the taper is wanting to dump the habit and not being able to do so. The nutritionist I talked to helped with that when he said "You've been doing this for 19 years and seriously expect to change in a couple of weeks ?".

Best wishes.

Comment

Wow....... long time no see. Very sorry for the long delay with posting on this thread, but I will say I have a TON to say (as usual).

Can't do it right now, but I will say I am glad I am back and what I will say has a lot to do with the tapering and going into rehab. My mind has been expanded 20 fold after the last many weeks!

I will post some details soon. I hope all is well with everyone and I will go through the other posts I missed!

Comment

and Betterdays, good to see you doing well! Hope to chat soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X