for home-detoxers: How to Taper off Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny you should mention sleep, I had my first serious sleeping problem since I started. I will check some antihistamine here, I remember a mild dose knocks me off.

I feel kind of dry inside, so am increasing water intake. I suppose fruit juices will also help.

It feels worse than after the first taper level. I'm holding on to current intake until I start feeling better. Overall it's better, the body feels kind of loose, but there's a fatigue that's got me down, and I'm only taking small walks, nothing vigorous.

Thanks for the wishes and advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

I'm on day 2 of my structured plan after a few days of just stabilizing from heavy binging at night. I went from nightly binging to steady drinking through the day. My opinion is that it will help me taper down the fastest. I'm not sleeping well, but just want to get through this as quickly as I can - safely. I'm willing to take the light symptoms as long as they keep easing up. On this track, I should be done in just over a week. I might have to start with some sleep aids, but at least I can go 7 hours at night and getup without any bad symptoms (fast heart rate, anxiety). Unfortunately, I couldn't get a prescription for meds without checking in to a facility for a few days.

Good luck everyone.

Comment

I'm on day six of my tapering off. I'm 44 and I have been a chronic drinker for 23 years, plus used alcohol a lot during my teens and up. I was drinking around 9-11 beer a day during the summers, and the rest of the year I would be drinking 7-9 beer a day. I never wake up and drink. 2:30pm was my usual time to start drinking in the day and I would drink until I went to bed.
        Started tapering over a week ago. I am now drinking 6 regular beer a day, having 2 beer, then waiting a couple of hours before having my third beer, then wait another couple hours before having my fourth, fifth and sixth beer to end the evening. I'm doing good at staying at 6 beer this week. Giving myself a week at a time to taper down one beer a week. It will take me a few more weeks to be down to no beer at all. I hope I can do it. I know my liver is tired because I've been told by the doctor. I'm sick of alcohol running my life and I want it out of my life.
        With having suffered from anxiety and panic disorder all my life, it scares me to death to have no alcohol in my life. Wish me luck people, because I really need the support from others who are going through the same thing I am going through. I'm determined, but don't want to have the withdrawals as well, especially not seizures. Am I pretty safe with my taper method?

Comment

Why is the addiction so strong?

Last night I drank a bottle of wine and one glass. Feel so tired today. Took an antibuse to keep me off. Hate that I have so little self control. I see friends have a glass of wine or two with dinner and it is all I can do to stop before I have consumed an entire bottle. Why can some people control themselves and some like me struggle? I read your posts and my heart aches for so many of your struggles.

Comment

Hi jodyblue, I'm in a similar situation and have been into taper for two weeks now. I have started taking a multivitamin tablet and I found that drinking orange juice helps. Also, a few short walks a day help with the brain fog. I'm no doctor, so can't say if your taper is okay, just listen to your body, if your heart starts racing then you're tapering too fast and need help.

Good luck

Comment

Hi betterdays,

I was doing okay with tapering, but this weekend I blew it. I was with friends and having a celebration, so on to the tapering I go again, beginning tomorrow. I have felt my heart beat a bit faster with tapering, but nothing severe. Is the fast heartbeat a sign of seizures coming on? That' is my greatest fear.
              Good luck with your tapering also. We all need support, and i'm glad to have found this site.

Comment

Hi jodyblue - Being a newbie to taper myself, I can't say if it is a sign of seizures, but I did read that it is a sign of fast tapering, and one needs to take just a little amount of beer if the heart starts racing. Do read this thread from page one onwards. COSgringo tapered too fast and had to be hospitalized. I'm afraid of this, and so am tapering slowly, keeping to one taper level for days now.

Comment

Update : I tapered by a little amount two days back, and am getting used to this. I have a question - why do I have such a lot of night sweat when I'm tapering by a tiny amount ?

I feel fine, and my brain has cleared up a lot. I still have foggy times, but they are reducing.

I think that a multivitamin tablet is a must if one is tapering. I used to feel kind of dry inside, and that feeling has gone away since I started taking it.

I'll be three weeks into the taper in a couple of days now, and feel great about it

Comment

Hi betterdays,
                    Thanks for the info about the fast tapering and what could happen. If you have been on your taper for almost three weeks, how many beer are you down to, and how many less are you drinking per week? I'm trying to taper on a weekly schedule. 6 first week, 5 second week, 4 third week...etc.....

Comment

Hi jodyblue - I was taking 750 ml of Scotch everyday for the past 3 years, and having some extra drinks sometimes. I'm down to a 325 ml beer (5%ABV) during the day, and 325 ml X 2 beer + 300 ml Scotch in the evening. It's still a lot of drink, but considerably less than what I was taking. I plan to come off hard liquor altogether and drink only beer, but it will take me awhile to get there as my withdrawal symptoms are still strong. I don't have a racing heart anymore but I've got insomnia now. I think I'll be able to taper more in a week or so.

Comment

Hi betterdays,
                        It sounds like you have cut down considerably, and congrats to you for that. I keep getting stuck on 6 beer a day, but I know it takes time. I will get down to 5 any day now. Tomorrow is always a new day. We can do it! Stay in touch, as I will also. I find that it helps to talk to others that are going through the same thing. We all need people who can be understanding.

Comment

Hi jodyblue - Thanks, and a few suggestions for you. All tested and tried LOL

1. If you're drinking 5% ABV beer, drink 5 of that and take a lighter one for your sixth. This will lower the alcohol in the blood stream and make for a smooth taper.

2. Try taking several walks a day. I found the days I did not walk I needed more drink.

Hope they work for you.

Comment

Hi betterdays.
                            Yes I am drinking 5% ABV beer. I am drinking my six, but having 0.5% beer in between to slow down my consumption. I walk every day already (weather permitting), so I do get my exercise. I also take vitamins. Hoping I finish my taper before the hot summer weather happens.
                            Thanks for the support. It sounds like you are doing great too! Stay strong....i'm trying my best as well.

Comment

First day, scared to death...Very very anxious and sweaty..

Comment

Thanks jodyblue, I'm doing much better than when I first started. Update below.

@osubuc - My first day was bad as well. The body starts dumping alcohol and simultaneously getting used to lower levels. Do drink a citrus juice and eat salad. This will help a lot with tapering.

Comment

Working...
                                X