Booze Busters 30 Day AF Challenge, Wednessday, March 19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lukalee - Ewwww, I feel for you.....listen, my hubby's work has to do with heavy oil, and various oilfield chemicals, and I asked him for some input, and this is what he suggested:

Hi,

Using diesel on the type of material you are describing would not likely remove most of it, although it may soften it somewhat. In addition, Diesel will typically leave a stain behind.

If the material remaining is soft and ?tarry?, I would suggest trying the following:

Get some old rags and lay them over top of the ?wrestling area?. Pat them down so they are stuck to the goo as best as you can.
    Get some varsol (aka mineral spirits). You should be able to buy this from a paint store in 1 or 5 gallon quantities (bigger is cheaper and you will likely use a fair amount between soaking and then wiping).
    Allow the soaked rag to lay on the tar for about 5 minutes and then wipe the area under the rag with the rag, soaking/wiping up as much of the stuff as possible. You can then use a varsol damp rag to wipe off the remaining film.
    Continue on until you have a nice clean floor.
    Another point to keep in mind is that varsol and diesel are products that leave stains on surfaces. In order to remove them it would likely be good to use a ?degreaser? (get something that has a citrus smell) and wipe the cleaned area off. The citrus product will make things smell a little better too. You should then be able to damp mop the area.
    KEEP THE AREA VENTILATED DURING THE WHOLE PROCESS AND KEEP OPEN FLAMES AWAY. Both the varsol and the diesel are flammable and also, breathing in the fumes won?t bother you in the short term, but it?s not a good thing for you in the long term.

Oh yeah, and from someone who has done ?floor duty? for many nights during the ceramic tile debacle of the late 1990?s . . . you should also take a hot bath and soak out the pain!

Good Luck!

Hope that helps, Lukalee.....
    The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

nite

I'm not sure where the Thursday Thread is for the Busters - so I'll just hang my little star here and put my sick sorry arse in bed and hope I'm better by tomorrow. I sure couldn't drink right now if I wanted to the way I've been feeling ... ARRRRR (woooffffff) Hope everyone is bustin the booze .........
      Liv
      AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

I will start a Booze Busters Easter Weekend Thread so we we don't get all kerfluffled. Then on Monday whoever checks in first should start a weekly thread. That worked pretty well last time around anyway! Congrats Liv on your well earned star. Hope you are feeling better soon.

And Hannah, Mr. Hannah sounds very knowledgeable!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Booze Busters Easter Weekend Thread!

Deleted because I haven't had enough coffee to properly start a new thread yet LOL!!!! NOW we can go to the new thread!
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
          X