Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday, July 18

Re: July 18

Hey Matt, big congratulations and please don't leave. You are a welcome addition to the village! I've just finished with a chiropractor from yesterday and had my first acupuncture treatment today, so we'll see how things go. I will say, it was quite interesting, with the needles and all...

In response to all of the issues with depression, I want to provide the excellent excerpt from this site...www.nutrition4health.org/...ession.htm

Excellent additonal issue that brings in the role of metal overloads in our bodies as well...

The Birth of Neurotransmitters
    The brain is a chemical factory that constantly produces serotonin, dopamine, and the other dozens of neurotransmitters, which are vital to our existence. The only raw materials for these processes are amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. In a sense, nutrients are the parents of our neurotransmitters. If someone's brain is presented with the wrong array of nutrients, then an abnormal array of neurotransmitters will result. I believe this to be the primary cause of depression and other mental health problems in the world.

For example, vitamin B-6 is a major co-factor in the synthesis of serotonin. About 25% of the depressives in our database exhibit a striking deficiency of B-6 and report symptoms associated with low serotonin levels. Many of these patients had been helped by prozac, paxil, or zoloft, which are serotonin-enhancing medications. However, after treatment with B-6 and augmenting nutrients, many of these same patients report complete recovery from depression, along with the ability to eliminate the medication.

Carl Pfeiffer, MD, PhD, once stated that "for every drug that yields a beneficial result, there is a nutrient, which can produce the same effect." We believe that nutrients can have a potent pharmaceutical effect, if used with rifle-shot precision. Nutrient therapy may well become the primary treatment for depression in the next century.

Chemical Classification of Depression
    The Pfeiffer Treatment Center has amassed a large database of biochemical information for clinical depression, comprised of nearly 100 chemical analyses of blood, urine, and hair tissue for 2,000 depressed persons. We find that most depressed persons have striking nutrient imbalances, which are relatively uncommon in the general population. These imbalances result in significant depletions or overloads of specific nutrients.

I have found that depression can be divided into five biochemical types: histadelia, histapenia, copper overload, pyroluria, and toxic overload. Each of these imbalances has a unique syndrome of distinctive symptoms together with abnormal chemical levels in blood, urine, and tissues.

1. Histadelia

Histadelic depressives have a particular imbalanced amino-acid cycle, which results in low levels of serotonin and elevated histamine. Histadelics often exhibit obsessive-compulsive tendencies, perfectionism, seasonal allergies, easy tears, high libido, and headaches. They have addictive tendencies with a high incidence of alcoholism, drug abuse, anorexia, and bulimia. They often are diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder which is most serious during Fall and Winter. The decisive chemical test for this condition is whole blood histamine. We treat histadelia with a biochemical one-two punch in which (1) calcium is given to release excess histamine from tissues into the bloodstream, and (2) methionine is provided to add a methy group to blood histamine and hasten its exit from the body. With good compliance, improvement is usually noted in 4-8 weeks with about 3-6 months needed to correct this chemical imbalance.

2. Histapenia

Histapenic depressives have a low level of histamine in blood and neuronal tissues and are believed to be individuals with high levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Common symptoms include high anxiety, academic underachievement, social isolation, food allergies, chemical sensitivities, low libido, dry eyes, and upper-body or head pain. About one-third experience anxiety disorders, panic attacks, or paranoia. Histapenics usually exhibit blood histamine levels below 40 mcg/dL, and react badly to anti-histamines, which naturally reduce their histamine levels even further. Treatment revolves around folic acid, vitamin B-3 (niacin or niacinamide), Vitamin B-12, and a high-protein diet. Gradual improvement usually begins within 2-4 weeks, with several months needed to properly correct this chemical imbalance.

3. Copper Overload

Many depressives exhibit elevated copper in blood, hair, and neuronal tissues. This condition is associated with skin sensitivity, tinnitus, childhood hyperactivity, learning disabilities, and intolerance to vitamins containing copper. Females with this condition often have severe pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS), intolerance to estrogen, and a family history of post-partum depression. Key lab tests include serum copper and scalp hair copper. Biochemical treatment involves using zinc, manganese, and cysteine in order to stimulate metallothionein, which is a linear protein that has the job of regulating trace metals (zinc, copper, manganese, etc.) in the body. Vitamins C and E are also useful in hastening the exit of copper from the bloodstream. Care must be taken to avoid excessive copper release from tissues during the first few weeks of treatment, which could result in increased blood copper levels and a temporary worsening of depression. Most patients report little or no progress during the first 3-4 weeks of treatment, with improvement starting in earnest during the 2nd month. This imbalance often takes 3-6 months to satisfactorily resolve.

4. Pyroluria

Pyroluric depressives have an inborn error of hemoglobin metabolism that results in a striking double deficiency of B-6 and zinc. Pyrolurics usually exhibit frequent mood swings, inability to tolerate stress, and are often famous for their temper. Common symptoms include sensitivity to light, inability to eat breakfast, poor dream recall, white spots on fingernails, impulsivity, preference for spicy foods, and high anxiety. The decisive lab test is urine kryptopyrroles, with pyrolurics exhibiting 5 to 50 times the normal level. Treatment involves substantial dosages of B-6 and zinc along with augmenting nutrients. Most patients report a calming within 10 days with 1 to 3 months needed to fully correct pyroluric depression.

5. Toxic Overload

Excessive levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, and other toxins can result in serious depression. In this case, depression may occur quite suddenly without prior symptoms, and may be accompanied by nausea, abdominal discomfort, bad breath, and reduced concentration. Effective treatment requires (1) preventing additional exposure to the toxic material, and (2) promoting its exit from the body. Treatment varies with the particular toxic involved. Useful nutrients include calcium, zinc, cysteine, manganese, and vitamins B-6, C, and E. Serious toxic exposures require supervision by a physician since overly aggressive treatment could result in kidney damage. Most toxic metals are bone-seekers, which complicates the treatment process. It is relatively easy to clear toxic metals from blood and soft tissues (including the brain), but removing toxic metals from bone is a slow and gradual process at best. Often 6-12 months are needed before blood concentrations become stabilized at a safe level.

Article from NOHA NEWS, Vol. XXII, No. 2, Spring 1997, pages 2-4.

Comment

Tuesday, July 18

Holy Moley, cv, don't you get overwhelmed?:eek I can hardly keep track of everything you have researched here on MWO!!! Maybe you should set up a consulting business! I keep feeling afraid I'm going to miss something!!!

I did miss the thought of having some wine tonight, but when I thought it through, I realized that what I would miss was the artificial buzz that would make me temporarily feel that I wasn't so tired. Because what I really am is just plain old tired. NOw that I am eating dinner and posting, I'm just fine.

I was aggravated today, because I had a free hour to listen to the hypno cd at work only to find out the battery was dead in my mp3 player. But I had the MWO book to read, so I finished re-reading it again. In response to a previous post, RJ has struggled in the past and has had to tweak her program once or twice. She has posted about it. I wouldn't begin to be able to tell you where to look for it. If you ez-mail her, though, she could probably tell you where to look for the posts, though. Trust me, the question has been asked before!:lol

Anyway, so far, I think I am doing okay for my first day in Absville. Thank you for all your support!!!

Lotsa love!
      Kathy :d

Comment

Tuesday, July 18

Kathy, so glad that you are doing okay! It takes a bit, but keep the healthy food going and stay away from the sugar...believe me, it helps alot! Especially after the first 3 days! I'll definitely check out RJ's tweaks. I think it's normal and understandable, because as we regain health and restore some of our normal functions to health, we need to alter our program and supplements to compensate. Don't want to become like the multiple docs who continue to prescribe the same meds year after year without doing more blood work or consult with the patient's progress!

Anyway, Day 1 is great, you're almost over and you can get some rest and look forward to day 2!:d

Comment

Tuesday, July 18

July 18

Hello all my brothers and sisters,
          Think it is day 16, anyway its a good day. Was incredibly busy. Started out at the crack of dawn to get to a business meeting, only to find out when I got there that it had been cancelled due to a sucker of an electric storm. I did not get the page - o me gosh, I was madder then hell for burning half a tank of gas and all that precious time. Drove back home and called the paging company. I guess I was being a perfect bitch with the poor sod on the other end of the line. I asked what her name was and she told me. I said that I would call her right back. I took a deep breath and called her back. Firstly I apologized to her for being sooooo abrupt, yes, almost rude and secondly I asked her if it would be possible to find out why I was the only one who did not get a page, but I did it politely this time. She told me that she was glad to do that for me, especially since I was the very first person to ever apologize for being rude to her on the phone. We did get to the bottom of it all.
          What the hell was I thinking, I was so ashamed of myself and I should have put myself into the womans shoes before I gave her an earful.
          The rest of the day was insanely busy but I took it all in stride. Was still typing contracts at 7:30 and that was when the monster started to poke me in the back "just a sip, go on you can have just a little itty bitty sip, you can handle it" and on and on and on. And along came Frere Perrier and saved my sorry butt. Think I made it through another day. Oh boy oh boy Kathy was I thinking of you around 8:00 pm, did you hear me????????
          Happy birthday to all who had one today or are having one tomorrow - can't remember who.......I am comatose and need to get to bed.
          Love all,
          Lori

Comment

Tuesday, July 18

New: Fly into july , this month's abstinence event!

Hello!

I am so proud and jealous of you all! And THANK YOU from a previous post to welcomining me here(lol thanks, Matt, itwas great, but not nearly as great as what you've got going on)...even though I am not yet abs....

Deidre and Kim, your posts brought tears to my eyes and chills to my skin. Deidre, I am where you were and can't imagine being where you are (minus the dark room....sunny LA...but everything else the same). And Kim...wow...if my birthday were coming up it would be a no brainer of an excuse for not going abs (same with those of you that have posted and have gone on vacation).

My best friend's birthday is at the end of the month and I am going on vacation....so in my mind there is no way I can join you until August...which I plan to do. Guess I'm just weaker than you guys. I think of this often when I read your posts.

I just started taking topa today. I opened a second bottle of wine and went to put it in the fridge and realized I hadn't finished the first. I think this is progress! (or Topa, dopa..lol) Baby steps, right?

Thanks so much for letting me post here. So many posts, it gets confusing....but this is my favorite...but I'm not abs YET.....won't take up too much time

You should all be SO PROUD of what you've accomplished so far!.........can't wait to join you on a daily basis...I'm REALLY going to need you

Until then...look forward to reading about your progress and wish you all MUCH success!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X