X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, July 13th

July 13

Dear CV!

Your research and posts are SOOOO appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Matt

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Re: July 13

Holy Sh-nikes CV,

Awesome info, I believe it to the extent I understand it

I wonder if this metabolizing problem has anything to do with my weight gain since not drinking. When trying to moderate:lol I was losing weight, now I've put on about 5 lbs. My husband is also gaining since cutting back. It makes it hard to convince him he's doing the right thing since he's an avid runner and looks pretty athletic. I don't doubt that we're healthier now, but I still can't understand what's going on.

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Sugar cravings

My sugar cravings usually hit about 3 or 4 oclock which is when I use to pour my first glass of red wine. Since quitting I've been devouring fresh cherries and blueberries. How lucky we are that they're in peak season right now and often on sale. Damn, the fresh cherries are sooo good!!! I figure overdoing it on delicious fresh fruit is perfect for healing this abused body of mine.

I've also been having my morning ALL ONE powder in a simple and healthy smoothie. 1 banana, handful of ice, 3-4 tbsp yogurt, big handful frozen strawberries, 1 fresh peach cut up. Yum yum!

I figure since I'm getting healthy why not go the whole 9 yards. I'm positive that cutting sugar and high fructose corn syrup from my diet have helped reduce the cravings.

Favorite new drink is a mix of bubbly water and R.W Knudson's ginger/echinacea juice. It's delicious and has no sugar or added sweeteners. The Knudsons is in the health food section of supermarkets.

Not that you asked!

Matt:b

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

cv. Boy, you are impressive. I just love the end of your post - about the cure. Yes, there is a cure - and for each of us it may be a different cure. Yes, you have to wait. - thats hard for us alcoholics who want the immediate gratification!!!!!!! anyway, its been hard for me (that waiting).

I think there is a natural resistence to saying something is FOREVER particularly no alcohol.

And I think that is at the heart of issues being discussed about will I ever have a drink. I think that is the alcoholic in us talking. When I started the MOST scarey thought was not EVER having a drink. It was only when I put that out of my mind on a daily basis that I made some progress. So, although I had a long term goal of 'some time abstinent' and for me that started out as a month, but became a year (almost a lifetime) it became and remains my goal just not to drink for today - or it was my goal to assess if things had significantly changed for me and if I drank today, would I over indulge.. or could I be nearly certain that I wouldnt over indulge. If I couldnt be certain, then I wouldnt drink today. That allowed time to pass for me.

Perhaps we need to just live more in the moment. My feelings about never drinking have changed so much in the past 8 months. If they change again, I'll deal with the changes as they arise.

So I'd say what I said the other day - I think that if I reintroduce alcohol I'd be going backwards and reintroducing a life sentence that I've tried so hard to change.. While that is my thought I'm at ease not drinking today. And because I have had that thought for 8 months it does not feel like a life sentence because it isnt. Its a life gift and probably means I'll actually LIVE longer.

And once I had some months without hangovers I feel more like a reformed smoker that I really DONT want to go back to the old ways. Creating new ways WITH alcohol is too scarey for me right now, maybe forever (there's that scarey word again) but I KNOW that this is a better life and I'm a better person for it.

Kathy, nice to see you around these parts. Donna have a great holiday.
          Brigid

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,
            At first I thought I couldnt take time to read it. So I left it but felt guilty (good guilt) knew it was good stuff so I got my butt back here and read it. I was right.....good stuff.
            Helps me with my cravings right now. Even tho they are all in my head. Gabby

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

wow cv you are great at this research. thank you i haven't read it all but i'm working my way through it. wanted to check in and say helloo all of you. good to hear you all and another day on the board in abs land;. it is hotin california. stay cool.
              kimber

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Hey stainers,

Day 37 out of 38 here. Right Gabby? Hang in there, girl. I've had a little bit of the Grrrrs too. Not drinking. Don't want to. What a shocker, huh?

But... maaaaaaaaan am I medicating with sweets again like crazy for the past 2 days. I'm talking jelly beans, frozen yogurt, soda, brownies, donuts, etc... Bad bad stuff. I'm OUT OF CONTROL! And then what happens? Dr. CV goes off and posts the evils of my wretched ways... She must really love all of us to keep pestering us like this, huh? I dunno if I should call CV "doc" or "mom"! Hmmm, could CV be the original "Dr. Mom"???

Love ya CV! THANKS girl!!!

HAPPY NOT HUNGOVER THURSDAY Y'ALL

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Yes Jane, I'm still hangin with ya. Tomorrow is day 38. I did break down and have anther one of those nasty AF Coors tonite. Didnt finish it. I dont know why I bothered. Aunt Martha, I mean Aunt Flo came visiting. Think thats my problem anyway. (I forget who the hell she even is but she drives me batty just the same) Sons court date is coming too. Just stressin is all. I actually think I could use a little of what got HIM in trouble. OMG....did I really just say that.

Kathy...I just saw your e-message. Wrote ya then forgot to look for a reply. Thank you so much for your nice message. I want to write back when my brain is fresher. : ) I really do appreciate your sweetness. :d goin to bed now gab

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Thursday July 13

Brigid, you just put into words some of my very own thoughts about living with or without alcohol. Sometimes I try to live in the moment, and not fixate on forever, but other times I think i'd be so relieved to think that I'll be AF forever. Ahhhhh.... If I could take all the guesswork out of my future, that would be the first factor I would get straight. No more battling and no more question marks. All my energy going towards life, not away from it. Never going back to jail to live out that life sentence, but living my life free. But it doesn't work that way, so I will have to settle for a day at a time. It's all good. Thanks for your thoughts!

Laura, re your post yesterday... "Then I realized something very surprising - I've actually been able to start listening to myself again. All I used to do was listen to the cravings, think about how to satisfy it..." I love the way you articulated the distinction between listening to yourself again, and listening to your cravings. That awareness about having the choice as to which I am going to act on is exactly what got me through the tough beginning of abs, and it is what continues to empower me today. We are all, hopefully, doing everything we can to minimize the cravings (with a little help from RJ and CV!) but if and when they do hit - sometimes relentlessly - to know and call on the knowledge that "I" have the power here, and the craving does not, is what get's me through to safety.

I think you're asking yourself really important questions, and that line you're trying to find might get moved back & forth a few times before it stays put in a comfortable position. So I would say just keep paying attention like you are and you'll eventually get settled. You're doing great!

And yes, I have thankfully found many many more reasons why I don't want to drink, besides avoiding hangovers, etc. You go from wanting to get rid of all the negative side effects, but at the same time a wonderful thing begins to happen - all this growth begins to replace the stagnation and fear, And then THAT becomes so enjoyable that you then have even more reason not to drink, because the more alive we are, the more we have to lose by going back to unhealthy drinking.

So thank you for your thoughts, they really touched me... well, obviously!

Deirdre

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Thursday July 13

Kathy, a huge welcome to you! I hope you begin to love it here in Absville as much as we do. It's a wonderful place to gain some needed clarity no matter what direction you are ultimately headed in. I know we're all gonna love having you here!

Gabby, hang in there! Well, yeah I know you are, but keep hanging. I definitely think Aunt Flo, or rather the anticipation of her arrival is what makes us all Potential Murder Suspects (PMS silly!) So remember it WILL pass and you'll be back to... er, normal? :lol Grrrr......you can smack me now if you want, I really don't mind... :smokin

Geez Jane, cut it out wouldja please? You're making me nervous with all that gunk! I refuse to see you go down in a pile of junk food! Now where is Tarzan (that's you cv!) to pull you up out of this mess?!!! Oh Tarzan... your rescue services are badly needed over here NOW! We need a little one on one action for Jane!!

One :h
                      Deirdre

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Thursday July 13

Susan, I absolutely love that quote. It's just along the lines of my unarticulated thoughts on spiritual growth and living to ones potential. Getting out of your own way and loving yourself b/c, well, you can now! Respecting the creation that you are. So cool...

CV thanks so much for the post - I hope to read it on my next day off... just kidding! You know I read all of your wonderful posts, and they have helped me so much! Keep up the amazing work, and thank you again. You are indispensable!

Good night everybody!
                        :y
                        Deirdre
                        |I

Comment

Working...
                        X