October Abbercise challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!!!! What an inspirational group!! A marathon while pregnant Sausage? I am SOOO impressed. And OMW, I'm with ya on the NY Marathon. 10 years ago, that was something that intrigued me also. I'm glad to have a couple marathoners here, 'cause I need that support backing me just as much as the AF backing. I myself just started running 11 years ago, when I decided to train for a marathon with the Leukemia Society Team In Training. I did the 1997 Alaska Marathon. I've done a good handful of 1/2 marathons since then. Unfortunately, I'm not consistant with my exercise. I usually train for 1/2 marathons just to get myself off my lazy butt. And to prove I can still do it. As I mentioned to OMW, I'm going to begin training for the Phoenix Rock n' Roll 1/2 Marthon on October 14th (that's when the 12 week program begins). I've never used another training regiman, other than the one provided for me by the Team In Training. However, Balance Shoes has a free program they offered when I signed up for the 1/2. I get a daily e-mail sent to me regarding my weekly running and where I should be. Until the 14th, I'm just getting my feet wet again. Haven't run regularly since April. I'm only 5'3" and weigh 185lbs!!! And yes, I can still run an 11-12 min mile. I know...shocking with all that weight I have to carry around. But I'm now inspired and motivated. I turn 40 next year and I told myself I would do a marathon in celebration of it. Tomorrow starts today :-)
    When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

MM
      Sorry my post wasn't very clear - didn't actually do a marathon while pregnant, they were all in the 5 or so years leading up to having my first child (unfortunately during pregnancy felt very rough with sickness / nausea and only managed swimming in pregnancy no 1 and in pregnany no 2 nothing because I had no-one to look after sprog no 1 whilst training and I also felt rough!! One of the things thats motivated me re another marathon is if I ever mention to people that Ive run marathons they always look at me and say "I suppose that was before you had your kids?" and when I say "yes", they just sort of look dis-interested like - well that's old news, she's let herself go since then - they don't actually say that out loud but I can tell that's what theyr'e thinking!! That's why I'm determined to do another one one day although it's hard work with the children -much easier when I only had myself to look after and every day was my own. My first goal will be to do something like a 10K and then i'll try a half marathon and then hopefully a full marathon in a year or so. I'd love to do NY again (I live in England but I love NY) and it's a fantastic marathon - my favourite. My personal best for the Marathon was 3 hrs 57 mins ( did that in Sheffield, a city in England) whether i'll ever manage that again I dont know but anything in 4 - 4.5hrs would be great. When running I didn't have a drink problem, I only drank at weekends and then max would be a couple of glasses of wine fri and sat night - rarely at any other time. My drink problem really got out of hand once the kids arrived and it got steadily worse. I'm hopefull for the future, . Managed a 37 minute cross country run today as my daughter was in school and my little boy in pre-school / nursery for a few hrs.

Comment

MM, I ran the marathon preg, omw
        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

OOPS OMW! Either way, you 'n' Saus are my heros and my new inspirational people to look up to each day. Thanks to the new found website, Livstrong.com, I found out that between my coffee creamer and my big breakfast, I had already consumed almost 1000 calories. So, my OCD kicked in at the gym and I made sure to burn over 1000 calories. If I have to be obsessed about something, I'd rather be obsessed about burning calories. And believe you me, I won't EVER have to worry about becoming anorexic over the obsession. #1) I have too much fat to burn and #2) I love food WAYYYY to much. Good luck to everyone in their workouts and their AF day :-)

Comment

Hi Cinders, I have been doing yoga to dvd's for years, is there a library near that you can go to, and loan a few to try to see what works for you? Hatha yoga style would be a good stlye to start with.My favorite is a 20 year old video of Denise Austins's .But there is heaps out there to choose from. Casey

Comment

here is some AB-ercise inspiration for the loverly ladies of MWO:

News - Free download of Gina Carano 'Shape' mag feature | MMAFighting.com

I've seen many of Gina's fights and she indeed floats like a butterfly and stings like a hornet.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good Morning Everyone!!
                Thanks Deter. Will check it out.
                Well, as I said, I got in a really good workout yesterday, but after tracking my calories, ended the evening with over 1000 calories above what I was supposed to eat. I think it's boredom eating. Since I worked so hard on the treadmill yesterday, I was thinking of taking today off. Actually, I think I'll make it an easy day of just walking. I hope everyone's doing great in their working out. Will ck back later gators!!

Comment

MM, have you ever looked into south beach diet?? I did that a few years back and lost 20 quick pounds. Been mostly able to keep it off. I would hate to have you exercise your a** off and hurt yourself. That leads to all sorts of other problems. Been ther done that. Sensable diet and exercise are a good match.

Well, I ran 6 miles and feel pretty good, cept my hip.

Happy trails!

omw
                  Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi everyone
                    Today's been a rest day for me as i did a long run yesterday and intense 30 minute swim the day before (Wed) however I plan to exercise tomorrow.

Comment

Sausage btw, way to break the 4 hour mark....I have worked my A** off trying to get it only to make 4:01: or 4:05:. You have my utmost respect!

omw

Comment

Been to the gym this am after an alcohol free fri night! Burned off at least 400 calories; treadmill, bike, ski machine, also went on one of those vibraxis machines that is supposed to be the equivalent of an hrs whole body workout !?! (bit sceptical but it's worth a go anyway!)

OMW regarding sub 4hr marathons. I've done a few where i've been just over the 4hr mark too - really annoying. Have only broken 4hrs once. Not sure where in the world you are or where the marathons are that you attempted but my advice is if you want to break 4 hrs unless your an elitist and are able to avoid the mass start you, need to do a marathon that is not a really major one like the world major cities. I've done London 3 times and New York once and never broken 4 hrs - my official time has always been just over which is very annoying when i know ive been really held back in the mass start - ie it can take a while before you actually get running properly after the gun is fired, eg in London - just getting to the gates of Greenwich Park - the offical start can take 15 mins of walking after the start gun has gone off and your boxed in with furry bunnies and faries etc and just can't make headway!!! and of course if only I could take 15 mins off my offical finish time to allow for this it would be a sub 4 hr race, but of course you can't offically do that!! My PB sub 4hr time was in Sheffield (a large city in northern England but not a popular marathon) and even though it was a hilly route I wasn't held back anywhere. I know I was fitter for New York later that year but still didn't break 4 hrs but this could have been due to jet lag / dehydration etc as I'd only flown from England 48 hrs earlier!!

Comment

Hi All
                          Got in 5 days of tennis.It was a great week! To day is a rest day and tomorrow I will get in a bike ride.Finding it very helpful to be involved with people who are living a healthy lifestyle.In the past When I tried to stop drinking I was still hanging with my drinking buddies. Can now see that it was ridicules to think I could hang around drinking when I was first trying to stop.It has been a lifestyle change that has enabled me to start living a sober life

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                          AF 5-16-08
                          Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                          AF 5-16-08

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                            It's Saturday night and I'm just now getting around to putting a post up on MWO. Had a whirlwind 24 hour period, involving being a pillar of support for one of my very dear friends. She had been holding back in telling me that her husband of 10 years had left her and her three young children just 2 1/2 weeks ago. She's been keeping this to herself and dealing with it alone. I don't know what made me cry more: him leaving her or the thought of her going through all this alone. She finally opened up to me and it made a world of difference for her. I gave her every bit of non-bias feed back I could. And I know that just confiding in a girlfriend gave her so much more strength to deal with the pain. I am so thankful that I can be there for her without an alcoholic haze hanging over all my advise.
                            Anywho, not to be a downer, but that's what's kept me occupied.
                            Yesterday was supposed to be a rest/easy day for me and I had planned on getting in a longer run today. I decided to walk at a 3.5 on the treadmill yesterday, but did it at an incline of 6. I only did 2 miles, but my legs were quite achey (sp?!) this morning. So I opted to take today off. It's always so important to listen to what your body tells you.
                            Caysea, good for you getting in 5 days of tennis!! I haven't played tennis since I was in the 9th grade. I really sucked at it, but enjoyed it. Have told myself that one day I would like to attempt to pick up a racket again.
                            And Saus, I have never heard of one of those vibraxis machines. Does your gym have them? Did they originally start as a tool to exercise the muscles of invalid people or something? It sounds awesome to me, but not very invigorating. And I also can't see it stimulating the endorfins. But shoot! If it's equivalent to a whole body workout, I'd be on that thing every chance I could get.
                            OMW, I must say, I swore off diets quite some time ago. I have the tools and the knowledge of what I need to do, it's just a matter of applying them. Keeping track of my caloric/nutrient intake has been helpful. It's also helpful to know that it was a visit from Mother Nature that was influencing my sweet tooth. I'm feeling much more in control now.
                            Alrightie peeps, this girl's gotta get some shut eye. Will attempt to post tomorrow, but even I don't, I will be signing on to MWO just to read the threads. They're so therapeutic! Nightie Night!

Comment

Hi everyone
                              Did a 30 minute swim at 7.30am today - quite hard work, 36 lengths including some with a kick board (to work legs only) some with float between knees (to work upper body only)

MM - regarding vibraxis machines - to learn more look up vibraxis or vibrating exercise machine on the internet and you will be able to read lots about it. Yes my local gym has one and there is always a wait to go on it as it is very popular. YOu only need 10 mins and apparently its' as good as a whole body work out - but like I say. I'm a bit skeptical. Madonna is supposed to have one in her own home!!! I stayed off it for 6 months after my surgery (hysterectomy) and i've only started recently going back on it again but apparently its' good for pelvic floor and strengthening muscles etc so shouldn't do me any harm.

Comment

Whewwww, ran a 10k. Ialso did some sit ups (I hate sit ups) my morbidly obese Lab was trying to lick my face each time I came back down. Now there is some incentive to move fast.

nat

Comment

Working...
                                X