Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily Wednesday November 19th

Hello everyone,

Seems a lot of us are feeling less than great today. Hubby and I had a fight last night. It's been a long time coming, and I'm afraid it's not over. Money situation/economy just eats him up inside and it evidently irritates the hell out of him that I don't worry like he does. He was in a sore dick mood from the time he got home, and finally as I was preparing supper our son and he started arguing......I finally blew and told them to just stop.
    Anyway, I'm not sure what's going on, since he is the big, macho man, he won't tell me what else is going on. Except he told me we really need to get our will finished. WTF???
    He hasn't been drinking, either, so I wonder if his moodiness is related to some withdrawal?
    This was in my inbox last night. I thought of myself and also to some things that happen on her, so I thought I'd share. Sending good, happy vibes to everyone this day!!:h:h

November 18, 2008
    Staying Afloat Amidst the Spin
    Taking Things Personally

Every time you interact with others, you have the choice to listen to, acknowledge, and let go of their words, or you can take what they are saying personally. Taking things personally is often the result of perceiving a person?s actions or words as an affront or slight. In order to take something personally, you must read negative intent in an individual?s words or actions. But what people do and say has no bearing upon you and is usually based on their own experiences, emotions, and perceptions. If you attempt to take what they do or say personally, you may end up feeling hurt without reason.

If you are tempted to take a comment or action personally, creating some distance between yourself and the other person can help you. Try to determine what is at the root of your feelings. Ask yourself if the other person?s words or actions are just reinforcing some insecurity within you or if you can really be sure that an offense was intended. You may even want to ask them what they meant. Finally, put yourself in the other person?s shoes. Instead of taking their words as the truth, or as a personal affront, remember that whatever was said or done is based on their opinion and is more reflective of what is going on inside of them, rather than having anything to do with you. You may have been an easy target for someone having a bad day, and their comments may have been offered with no ill intentions.

When you recognize that what anyone says or does doesn?t necessarily have anything to do with you, you will no longer feel hurt or attacked. While it?s easy to take things personally, you should never let anyone?s perceptions or actions affect how you see yourself or your worth. Your life is personal to you, and it is up to you to influence your own value and sense of well-being.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Happy Wed ABerooooos!

Sausage, thanks for the nice kickstart to a glorious day.

Tom big welcome to you and congrats on your strong decision for an AF lifestyle

Long term is so subjective...Im on day 287 and yet I feel like I'm just getting started. In a respect we are all on day one. every day of our lives we wake up and make that decision be it a conscious one or not.

I sat at the bar in a restaurant last night drinking my o'douls and watching the antics. I was oddly serene in my mental disposition sitting there in the middle of the lions den. It didn't bother me one bit and I actually relaxed and enjoyed my meal. I'ts taken me a while but I'm so grateful to have found this serenity.

better go check out of this hotel and get to work.

be well my friends
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi, another busy day and not much chance to read.....again. Feel as if I'm chasing my tail at the moment and I'm sure that has a lot to do with my drinking thinking. Last night shook me up and made me realise I'm not as strong as I thought I was. It also made me realise that whilst I have little time for myself right now, I must make time for MWO, even if its just to "check in" each day. So, apologies if I don't respond to individual posts. Hopefully I'll get a bit more time next week and keep up to date.

Have niggling thoughts about this dinner party on Saturday night. I'm doing everything in my power to prepare in advance so I'm relaxed on the night (stressed=drinking) and concentrating right now on getting my menu in order!!!

love to everyone

Janicexxx
        AF since 9 May 2012
        Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

early Thursday here and a beautiful blue sky, looks like it will be a great day.

sometimes it feels a bit weird posting in this thread when the day is a completely different one and the seasons too!

Everybody: I'm sending the sun and good thoughts your way. Dont let stuff get you down and have a good day. EVERY AF day is a good one!
          Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hi everyone.

Welcome Tom, this is one of the best threads on MWO in mho. People here are really serious about getting and remaining sober and the ones who have achieved success are really great about helping those of us who aren't quite there yet. And everyone is great about supporting one another.

Sausage, Mackeral, Speedster, and Det, congrats on your Days and keep strong. Det, I'm especially in awe ... sitting in a bar by yourself? Wow! not sure I could handle that.

Well, I'm beginning to feel a bit better. Yesterday I took Dingo on a 2 hour hike to the beach. Even though it was cold and overcast, it did a lot to clear my head. Also I'm on Day 4 so physically I'm feeling better, plus I'm tapering off the Topamax as I don't think it agrees with me. I was only up to 50 mg a day but my blood pressure was up and I kept feeling dizzy. Its time to buck up and go get a complete physical so I'm going to fess up to my doc about taking the Topa. Maybe there's an alternative -- or maybe the prescription Topamax is better than the stuff from River Pharmacy. When I ordered it I didn't realize it was made in India ... I wonder if it has the same chemical composition?

DG, you haven't posted yet today so I'm not sure if you read my pathetic post from yesterday but I was wondering again if you could share your insights on Smart Recovery. Also I know you had some thyroid issues. What exactly did you have tested? I used to be on synthroid but then my thyroid tested normal so I haven't been on it for almost 10 years. My mother has always thought this was wrong as she says once you're on it, you're on it for life. She's on it as is my sister. We're all overweight (my weight is the worst of the 3 of us, but then I'm the only heavy drinker). For my sister and I our weight was normal (my sister was actually skinny) until around age 33. Since I'm going to my doctor I want to get that checked out. Most of the time I don't feel well and I know its not just the AL and smoking (I only smoke when I drink and don't consider it an addiction -- when sober it grosses me out). I know I'm asking a lot from you, but you seem to be a font of knowledge, so I appreciate anything you have to say.

Well, off to my day. Cheers!

Comment

Wip,
              You speak the truth. There is no magic pill. No magic website. No magic. Its hard work with our brains and our honesty and our hearts.

I think the things that make us well are absolutely NOT rocket science and NOT for sale. They are free to anyone. So.. its eating well, exercising, having reflection time and dealing with all that internal crap once and for all. To do this work we need to be as strong as we can be.. so the eating and exercising is a big part of it. You cannot buy sobriety just as you cannot buy happiness. You just have to work for it.

Thats my truth anyway.

Janice. dont talk yourself into drinking this weekend. Talk yourself OUT of it. Exercise the day of the event and have something set up the morning after so that you HAVE to stay sober.

Brigid

Comment

Working...
              X