Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Saturday, November 29

Good morning all,

It's a beautiful, clear morning here in Florida. The four-day weekend feels like a vacation since I'm not wasting so much time drinking or hungover. Got nine solid hours of sleep last night. I guess I've been runnin' on empty for a long time.

Went to get The Diet Cure book yesterday. After flipping some pages, I concluded that I didn't need that much science and picked-up Seven Weeks to Sobriety instead. I won't go into it since it has already been discussed here, but it seems to reinforce the path I'm already on (tryptophan, seratonin, melatonin etc.).

While browsing, I came across a beautifully illustrated book titled The Food Doctor, Healing foods for mind and body.
    I plan on using it as guide to natural, whole food alternatives to the chemical supplements touted in Seven Weeks. The goal being to restore a natural balance. I believe natural is good. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Too bad I've been fighting it with alcohol for years and years.

Anybody remember Mr. Natural from the old R.Crumb underground comics of the 60's-70's? Good thing he had a long beard, since clothing wasn't part of his life-style!

Comment

Hello all. Love the info on the diet and nutrition aspect of recovery which is key to a long term plan. I personally feel it will take a lot of TLC to get my body and brain back to normal and keep it that way.

BTW - I made it to day 7! Can't believe it. Still don't feel fantastic but feel sooo much better than I did 7 days ago and the depression & anxiety are much more manageable and less often.

It's snowing here - first snow of the year......I love it. Christmas is coming and so many things to be grateful for .....Santa delivered his gift early to me this year.....a knock over the head and the tools to do some hard work which has led me to be sober for longer than ever and the will to continue to be sober..... Happy Saturday to everyone!
      "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Comment

A Work in Progress;480504 wrote: Janet, I am on the same wavelength, with Christmas (I never did enjoy it and find it oppressive, now) and a "difficult" mother with Alzheimer's. The issue for me right now is not that I want to drink... right now, I don't, although I know there is no guarantee that the impulse/thoughts won't come roaring back at any time. For me, now, it is just battling the sadness and a sense of meaninglessness.

So, what do I do? Exercise and meditation. Daily. And eating right. Mindfulness of my thoughts and emotions, throughout the day. Refusing to get aboard the "trains of thought" that go nowhere, and refusing to read the "postcards from hell." Watching a lot of movies! Netflix will possibly save my life! And staying out of the threads here that are not healthy for me to be reading. I joined the SMART online recovery board, and I think it will be helpful, too.

wip
        hi there... i'm feeling rather similar to what u describe.
        come january it will all be over.
        it will be like 5 weeks of nonsense.
        it's not so in ur face here as in the US though. there are a lot of people who are quite poor so the emphasis is not on 'buying' and 'being happy.'
        also, i avoid television.
        i wish we had netflicks down here! that would be great!!
        hang in...

Comment

Thanks, '67... Yes, come January! Come on, fast! (Although one should always be careful what one wishes for, eh?)

Can't you get Netflix on your computer? It's an internet thing...

CONGRATULATIONS CCM!!! ONE WEEK AF!!!

Comment

WIP, I totally forgot about netflix!!!!! I've been getting my movies from the library as the Blockbusters(movie rental stores here in the states) are filled with complete garbage. Movies offer me the "escape" I seek and used to find in the bottle. I really enjoy watching good films. I've don't watch much tv so sitting and watching a movie is a real treat..
            I'm so excited. I have a whole new library of movies!!!l Thanks for the reminder!!!!

Janet

Comment

Wow, so many people talking about nutrition today, what synergy!

DG and Janet, thanks for those vibes. They worked wonders. I had a lovely day. I went into a place called Whole Foods to pick up some vitamin D and other supplements. Can't believe I've never ventured in before, it was paradise! Every organic seed, nut, grain, oil, cheese, tahini paste etc. known to man. Picked up some red quinoa I've never seen before. I'm actually not quite ready for the nutrition research just yet, but thanks for the many tips on the thread. I've decided to start piecing together a 'living with bereavement' plan of action for the next 6+ months and got a few books on that today. My top priorities are still sleep and allergy control, both of which have been a lot better this week. Emotional stability and sobriety correlate directly for me, so nutrition and exercise to support both is next around the corner. Janice, I really identified with the 'emotions being all over the place' and thought maybe you'd also want to check out Whole Foods. They have advisors in the supplements section who can suggest individual 'cocktails' of stuff that can help.

Thank you all so much for being here! I love being back on this thread :h

Comment

Can any one jump into this thread? I definately need a place to go I can get support, and offer support, to progress further into becoming a non drinker. I am at day 13 tonight, and will make it through this evening AF.
                I have been around a little while and this is the longest AF stint since joining, and in at least a decade.

I will be posting and reading daily, so I hope no-one minds.

Take care and "see" you all tomorrow :H

K
                Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Welcome, Keeta! Of course you can post here, and good going on the 13 days AF! This is a good thread; you might even want to look at some of the past threads, over the last week or so. There have been some good discussions.

Comment

Thank you wip,

Tonight is a good night for me to read some uplifting insightful posts as my hubby is out front watching hockey, and drinking beer. So ...I am hiding in my room, stewing over an over used trigger/excuse to drink of my own!

Thanks again for the welcome!

K

Comment

Hey Keeta - I really relate to the trigger/excuse thing. There was a time recently when I would give my man $20 to bugger off and get drunk, he would try sooo very hard not to drink around me (like I really gave a shit) - he was in denial back then...the darling is in prison now for drink driving! I had to remember that my AF is MY own choice and his choice to drink was ok...Totally understand. You are doing real good ay. P.S - I don't mean to sound flippant about my man, I miss him a lot, but this is a dam good chance to get some quality AF time up.

Welcome! And a big Hi WIP

Welcom
                      *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

kaponium,
                        thank you for the welcome.

I don't really know why his drinking is making it hard for me...we haven't been drinking buddies (read: having fun together while drinking) in a long time. Usually it progresses into a fight, and no fun is had. My drinking has become all addiction, no fun, in recent years I don't even think I am jealous...although maybe subconsciously I really AM????...Blah...all I know is right now I want to go empty the contents of his beer over his "this is your problem, K, not mine, I don't have a problem" HEAD

I am sorry to hear abot your man. But I get your point and you are correct...my not drinking is about ME...I can't give him that power...AL already has enough control (which I am working on taking back)...
                        I hope your situation can be a silver lining, and you get some good AF time in. GOOD LUCK and thank you again.

K

Comment

Keep strong, keep posting - am just having a "moment" myself....had a realy good few days, just feeling quite down right now. No way am I going to pick up a drink - just feeling the emotions and that's Ok. "Letting the emotions subside, and clarity will return". It's dam crazy, just sitting here fine one minute, bloody crying the next......sigh

Comment

oh wow, kaponium, can I ever relate to the "fine one minute, crying the next".
                            It is frustrating, and just emotionally exhausting to ride this sort of emotional roller coaster, up and down, happy sad calm anxious anger content....yeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

I am sorry you are having a moment right along with me here...but hey, atleast we have someone and someplace to talk about it, and to keep venting and talking, and heck, even crying, as long as we don't pick up that first drink, and don't take that first sip...feeling all this crap is OK...trying to bury it with mouthsful of booze is not...at least not for me!

I love your signature

Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm!
                            THAT speaks to me right now...maybe that within all this chaos, I have to try to still feel content with my sobriety...all that other shit...it WILL pass....

Comment

Gosh....thanks SO much for that keets...yeah, angry, crying. definite roller coaster going on here. Not used to emotions, used to numbing them and being something of a flatliner...thanks for being there and replying...means a lot ay. Am going to go to an AA meeting at 7pm, that's about half an hour - what time is it where you are? Hang on, I can look at my mobile ph, that will tell me..anyway, would be nice to stay in touch. My crappiness IS passing, and there won't be any picking up of the first drink for me today! How you doin darl?

Comment

Am picking it is somewhere near midnight where you are? If so, and I don't get to yak again when I get home in a couple of hours, I wish you serenity, strength, wisdom, health and INDEPENDENCE of spirit - and of course courage.... bloody need a bit of all of these...not asking for much ay lol!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X