AF Daily Thursday January 1 2009!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy new year everyone, just caught up on the thread - first opportunity I have had to get on line all day, but then of course one of my new yr resolutions was to spend less time on the internet!!

Well I had a very pleasant and sober New Year - first one since I was about 15 I think - at home with Mr Sausage - he had a G&T, some wine (I think - to be honest, i'm less aware of what he drinks now which is a great thing) and champagne around midnight. I had some AF beer, then AF wine and at midnight a great AF bucks fizz which was excellent - must get some more of the same stuff. The kids were in bed, we watched a movie on TV which took us til 11pm and then watched the New Year in in London from the River Thames, London Eye etc (Marshy - excellent that you were actually there - I was there for the millenium as I had a flat in London in those days, and I remember it was very cold, and the smell of the smoke in the air, and we had to get there so early to get a decent place to watch) The fireworks really were spectacular weren't they.

Today it was fabulous to wake up refereshed and sober and i've even fitted in a 40 mintute cross country run in the cold (wearing woolly hat and gloves) -something i'd never have been able to do on NY Day before as I would have been too hungover. Couldn't go to the gym or swim as leisure centre closed being Jan 1st - but that's no excuse not to exercise now is it!!!

Last new year I made the resolution from midnight on Jan 1st 08 to"drastically cut down my drinking - just keep it to Fri and Sat and special occasions" but I justified drinking later that same day (a tues)- because well Jan 1st is a public holiday so a special occasion isn't it, then I justified drinking on the 2nd (wed) because Jan 2nd is a public holiday in Scotland - Mr sausage is scottish!!! and then on Thurs - I did go AF, but then drank Fri and Sat and Sun and Monday and...... it just goes on, and that's when I was really motivated as well , at the start of a new year - pathetic isn't it.

2008 has been a good yr for me in lots of ways, and it was the yr I discovered MWO for which I am trully grateful.

Regarding your debate earlier about whether social events "fun" without alcohol - I now agree, they are so much more pleasant, memorable and enjoyable without alcohol - drinking for me was more an alone thing anyway - however the way I look at it is, those that have to drink and drink to have a social time must be really boring sad people anyway incapable of enjoying themselves without some chemical substance to change their mind / behaviour. However there is nothing more boring than being sober and out with a load of drunks acting really stupidly and laughing over nothing and talking incoherently.

Have a great new year everyone - am feeling really positive about 2009 thanks to MWO!

Take care everyone

sausage xx

Comment

Introducing wookie

I dont think that I managed to get this rotated correctly, but this is our new year kitten, wookie (because he looks just like an ewok!). He is very flufffy (and because he hasn't had a mum we are having to teach him to groom himself!!!) with a big fluffy head and little stumpy legs - much fun to watch him running around after toys etc!!

I have never really wanted a male cat or a long-haired one, but new years are for trying out new things. He has a lovely nature - very sweet and affectionate and quite adventurous .... desperate to be bigger and older enough to go outside!!

anyway, this feels like a lovely present to give ourselves for a new year!! Attached files [img]/converted_files/753796=4560-attachment.jpg[/img]
      Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

sorry - no good at this photo stuff! Wanted to get the photo into the body of the message but no joy!
        Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

I saw some of my friends drinking and enjoying themselves, but have to wonder what happened later on in the night, when some of them most likely had too much. And can't help but wonder how crappy they must feel today. Other friends were staying home, maybe with a drink or two, others af. I just feel I'm at a point in my life where it's not so important to have that kind of fun. And I don't really regret the fun times I had while drinking. Of course there were bad times too, and many times I got lucky with the drinking and driving issue.
          I feel kind of boring sometimes, but the trade off is a new sober me which is SO MUCH better in the long run.

I'm another one on the long list of us that have celebrated our first sober New Years in many, many years..here's to us!!!! We Rock!!!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I still have lots to prepare for tomorrow night's dinner party but wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year! Good going on all the AF determination on the thread.

And welcome back, Mo.

Comment

Hey Mame... he's beautiful!!!

Comment

Happy New Year to All,

I really have nothing to say but wanted to let all of you know that I'm thinking of you and looking forward to out 2009 AF journey together.

M3
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!
                :lilheart:

Comment

SAUSAGE;507681 wrote: I was there for the millenium
                  Me too! Last night was the first time I'd been down there since on NYE. We got there late both years (after 11pm), long after the bridges had been closed. I wanna be on a bridge next time!

Mame: VERY cute!!
                  sigpic
                  AF since December 22nd 2008
                  Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Mame,

I just saw the photo of your kitty cat. He is so cute...looks like those ears would take him away in a strong wind!

M3
                    AF Since April 20, 2008
                    4 Years!!!

Comment

What a cute kitten! I love the idea of a foster pet program, I've never heard of one in our area. I have a barn cat who has never been very sociable. She has managed to survive for almost 20 years! Suddenly she is hanging around us more, wanting loved. She is polydactyl--part persian so she has a smashed face. I love her and wish I would have kept her as a house cat all those years ago, but hubby is not a cat lover--especially in the house. I might just try to get a picture of her to show you.
                      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Happy New Years ABerooooooos!

I'll be painfully honest here. at midnight I slurped a half of a small flute of champers. no excuses. I really should not have done it. but i did. it didn't trigger anything I'm happy to say, but it did give me nightmares last night and probably will for some weeks to come.

I love you all

be well.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

wow, Det, that would give me nightmares, too (come to think of it... maybe it will!). Good for you, for telling us about it. It's a scary business, isn't it? I'm glad it has not left you feeling as if you have now become a successful modder, or something like that... If I'm reading you correctly, it sounds like it was just a very weird thing to do, but you did it, and it's something you don't want to repeat?

Anyhow, you know we love you, too... And Happy New Year!

Comment

correct AWIP, an anomaly. I am NOT a modder. I am AF. which is my preferred lifestyle.
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi Again All,

Just checking in before settling for the night. Pretty quiet here today...that's good.

Det, just checking to see how you are. I don't know where I get this from, but I am under the impression that you are a pretty long term abber. Is that right? Still feeling OK about the champagne? Any reflections on why/how it happened? I understand if you don't want to share and I do think that we can learn so much from one anothers' struggles and triumphs.

When I was on holiday, I had a strong craving the minute we walked into our friends home (the second leg of our trip). He is a big wine enthusiast and although not a heavy drinker, does like his wine and finds much joy in sharing it with everyone. I so yearned for a glass of wine. I started telling myself "You can drink just while you're here." "It's OK, one or two drinks won't hurt you." It was really frightening and I was very anxious. But, I managed not to drink that night. Thankfully, my more rational voice took over "Just think how you will feel about yourself tomorrow." "You know that one or two is never enough for you." "You've come so far, why blow it now?"

The next day, I went out to their outdoor hot tub early in the morning and soaked for over an hour. I put my face to the sky and let the snowflakes wash over me and I cried. All of the sadness from past holidays came down on me along with the tiredness over preparing for the current holidays on top of the travel. I was grateful to FEEL what I was feeling and not to be in a fog or a haze from AL or a hangover. I realized (again) how much I used alcohol to dull my old (and new) sadness and pain.

I did not have any more cravings during my stay and for that I am thankful. It is just amazing to me how the cravings can come out of the blue and catch you off guard.

Just thought I would share this.

M3
                              AF Since April 20, 2008
                              4 Years!!!

Comment

M3 that is a LOVELY post. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Comment

Working...
                                X