January (new year) abbercisers!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my bike serviced for free at work yesterday, which saved me quite a few quid. (It's an incentive to get people to cycle to work, I think - it certainly made me cycle on a cold day when I probably wouldn't have otherwise). Got the brakes fixed, and the tyres are now rock hard, which makes a HUGE difference. I had no idea! I'm much faster now. Well, a bit faster!

Here's a pic of my bike - freshly greased and gorgeous - at Tower Bridge. (Not a great pic and I don't know how to make it bigger. I think I might use some "sober time" to do a photography course!)

Attached files [img]/converted_files/778754=4662-attachment.jpg[/img]
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi all

Love the Tower Bridge picture - I did my training not at all far from here (well known London Teaching Hospital - you've probably guessed it!!) and it makes me feel at home!! Also have run the London Marathon 3 x and love seeing the landmark of Tower Bridge when I'm going round the route!!!

As for me, today the weather has been awful, dull, cold and miserable,I went to the gym this am and did a work out for almost an hr, cross trainer, rower , bike, vibraxis machine. Didn't swim because I sliced through my thumb (and part of my nail - ouch!) with a bread knife last night and it's really sore and I don't want the dressing to get too wet!!!

Will check back later!

Comment

ahhh, london...so far from where i am!!!

i am preparing to get on my bike (indoor trainer) and go for a 45 minute spinning class. i might walk the treadmill for a bit as well.

have a good one all!

Comment

Marshy...Love that bike. Very spiffy.

Sausage... This must be the month for thumbs. I sliced mine open two weeks ago and had 5 stitches! Take care of that thumb! And, CONGRATULATIONS ON 80 DAYS AF!

Did bootcamp this morning. It was darn cold out there. My fingers and toes were freezing! I'm done with winter (but winter's not done with me).
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!
          :lilheart:

Comment

Thumbs up for the abbercisers! Groan.

Sausage - your mention of the marathon route reminded me that a few years ago when I was working in Canary Wharf, one of the competitors was a guy who was wearing an old-fashioned metal diving suit with a big helmet with a window in it, lead boots etc. He could only go at a very slow walking pace. The marathon is on a Sunday (as you know), and the following THURSDAY afternoon, this guy plodded past our office window with his supporters!
            And Canary Wharf is about the 19-mile mark? So he must have had a couple of days to go :H I love the craziness of the marathon.

Mom - bootcamp sounds... impressive! What does it involve? I bet you've already mentioned this and I should stop being so lazy and go back and have a look...

Peacenik - did you make it? No fibbing now...
            sigpic
            AF since December 22nd 2008
            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

NICE PIC MARSHY!! How wonderful they did that for you.

Alrighty abercisers I am soooo lazy today. I did run 4 miles on the dread mill, counted every second too, pure anguish. I tried another cup of coffee but can't seem to get my arse off the couch. I have tons of kids sport hauling tonight and all I want is to go to bed. ARGH
              Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Marshy and Sausage running the Chicago marathon in 2003 I saw a Bobby (think I got that right)running in full wool suite. Saw a guy in a gorilla suit once too.

I love it when you see craziness on the route.
                Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

yep made the treadmill, not the bike...60 minutes
                  walked the pups as well...

onward!

Comment

Beginners Yoga? - Not.

I finally got up the courage to go and try a 'beginners' Yoga class today, at a Yoga centre in town. WELL, there were only two of us in the class, so no hiding at the back for a start. She had us upside down and inside out, at one point I vaguely remember her saying ''and now put your toes on the floor behind your head'' HA! And there was me thinking I was going to sail through it because my wiifit tells me I'm a 'Yoga Master'. Anyhoo I'm undaunted and going to try some different classes - I will be a Yoga Bunny, I will be a Yoga Bunny etc. etc. B.
                    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Oh, I love the image of the guy with the diving suit running (walking) the marathon!

Marshy, The bootcamp runs 5 days per week (weekdays) outdoors from 5:45 to 6:45 am. It is run by a guy who is a former marine. We do a combination of weight training, calisthenics, and running. It is a great workout. There is a core group of about 15 - 20 of us who attend.
                      AF Since April 20, 2008
                      4 Years!!!

Comment

Mom, sounds like a great group!! I admire all of you who can get up and go so early in the morning. Most days I am a late day runner, helps rid myself of the stress from the day. Also helps keep me sober.

Comment

i'm a later in the day exerciser as well...

did 40 minutes spin class and 25 minutes walking hills on tm.

i'm loving this sober living stuff!

22 days today!

cheers with water

Comment

Hi all

I used to be a late in the afternoon runner, ie after school / work. However now I have kids its hard to go at that time - I just have to be prepared to go whenever I get the opportunity. This am Mr Sausage took the kids to the supermarket to do the weekly shop so I went on a 40 min cross country run. I always find it a lot easier to run in the spring or summer when the weather is warmer - it's much harder for me motivating myself to run in the cold. Am looking forward to the better weather picking up!

Comment

Oh Sausage, I'm with you on the cold weather. I did a 6 mile run this morning. It wasn't super cold but the wind was really blowing. My hands never really did warm up. And, my legs felt like two frozen logs.
                              AF Since April 20, 2008
                              4 Years!!!

Comment

owie. did my kickboxing class today even though I have broken my big toenail back to the point it's a bloody mess. it sure was distracting but I made it through without being too big of a baby. I hope it gets better so I can wear shoes for my flight to San Diego Monday! I might start a trend with one shoe and one flip flop.

keep up the great work you healthy AF-ers!
                                nosce te ipsum
                                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                                X