Mini Introductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Introductions

that print came out much larger than I thought!!!!!I wonder if I'll ever master the icons???

Janet

Comment

Mini Introductions

I'm Shas

Hi Guys,
      Found this site in April lurked for a while then tried abs in May. Had some slips and went to my doctor for campral which I think is helping. I seem to go really well and then sabotage myself. I live in Sydney Australia and will be 50 on 30th September this year. I have 3 children 32, 31 & 22 with 3 stepdaughters and 6 grandkids who are God's Gift for having children! I am taking the sups as well as campral but abit slack when it comes to the exercise and CD's. We have are own business and work long hours so I use that as a excuse but I know I have to get my act together.
      I love beer and wine!! Wine I can drink till it comes out of my ears and can send me off the edge, I got sick of not knowing what I did the night before! My hubby drinks and I have found that hard as it seems all our activities centre around drinking! Even though I sometimes feel that I am not going to get there in abs I will keep on swimming cos I am more frightened for myself if I don't succeed.
      Shas
      Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Mini Introductions

I'm Kim

I am 35 with two boys the ages of 3 and 5. I have been married (happily) for 9 years. I work full time and my husband stays home with the boys. His staying home has been great for our family, but also enabled me to drink too much and he would pick up the slack.

My problem started when I was 22 and lived alone for the first time. Finally, I could drink as much as I wanted. At 24 moved in with my now husband. We both worked for a rock radio station and there were endless parties--where we never had to pay a thing for drinks. I was in sales--and there were many a day I would go home from work, nap for two hours--go back to work, and then off to the next party. Somewhere in all of this I knew I had problem, but so did everyone else we were around so it seemed normal. Time went on, we both got new jobs and had our first son. This is when I realized just how big the problem was-because I couldn't stop once I got started. Ten months after having our second son I started going to AA. Stayed sober 9 months--and then went back to drinking and moderated very well for awhile. Then as stresses seemed to build up in many areas of my life--it just spirled out of control and worse this time around. So here I am, because during my two pregnancies and the nine months that I was in AA--the grass was always greener in Absville. Drinking stopped being fun long ago.

Tonight at 10pm my doorbell rang. I am home alone with the boys tucked in bed. Here it was my neighbor who came over because he saw some kids trying to break into our shed. He called the police who came to check things out. Thank God I did not have beer breath and slurring my words. Absville couldn't have come at a better time for me!

Kim

Comment

Mini Introductions

Mini Introductions

Hello Gabby,

I'm Angie and from West Sussex UK. I have now completed one whole month of abs. I'm 58 so it would appear I'm the veteran! I have three children, two girls and a boy plus three dogs and a full time job. What utterly surprises me is that I initially decided to reduce a roll of fat round the middle (knew it was booze) but never thought I had a problem as such. I'm surrounded by friends and colleagues who all drink much more than me. However, realising that I ALWAYS had alcohol every day and it was usually the first thought before lunch or dinner, I know I have. I think this website is a godsend.

Comment

Mini Introductions

Lori here

Hi
            My name is Lori. I came to this site in or around October of last year. Moderated well at first, but drank on Topa enough that I washed it's effectiveness away. I'm a chronic binger meaning I can go for fairly long periods without a drop, then out of nowhere....POW drunk again. I have no control after the first drink and usually make an imbicile of myself. I can drink twice as much as anyone I associate with so I don't drink around others lest they might suspect something

I drink alone or with my husband. I hate to drink with anyone especially HIM because it seems that I like the secrecy of it. Not sure about that, but upon reflection during these abstinent bouts of mine I think that's the case. When abs, I resent HIS drinking like hell. I know it's never going to be easy for me, but this forum has been an angel beside me.

I had three continuous years sobriety in AA until May 29th of last year:s Now I'm lucky if I can pull together 60 days. The conversation about boredom in sobriety is VERY important to me. I don't think we ever shoul apologize for honest thoughts. Boredom is THE number one reason I often slip. I have to change my thought pattern before I talk myself into a drink. Please keep talking about real stuff without fear of how others may take it. Not to hinder but to help.

Much love,
            Lori

Comment

Mini Introductions

Hi I am 55 years old(25 in my head), I live in Liverpool, UK, have a very understanding husband, wonderful 33 year old son and a 3 year old granddaughter, who I adore. Wasn't best pleased when told I was going to be a grandmother, wasn't on my agenda, but now I am as besotted as the next one. I didn't like alcohol until my 20's, and it started to become a problem in my late 20's. Was married early 20's, my husband passed away, had a couple of bad love relationships after that, turned to drink(guys do that to you sometimes!!) Needed a drink sometimes to give me confidence in social situations etc, also became a secret binge drinker at home, people outside the home would have been amazed if they knew because it never affected my work as I didn't suffer from hangovers. Met my second husband when I was 35, best thing that happened to me, we have a good happy life, so why did I continue to drink, force of habit I suppose. Got up to drinking 2 bottles of wine a night no problem, almost every night. Came to this programme in March did abs through March and April, started to slip in May/June, just got complacent, so I am now back for the August abs. My husband, who doesn't drink, is very understanding as he knows it can be a problem for some people, he doesn't nag or lecture me, he just says "you did it before, you will do it again when you are ready, and I will be here to support when you are", is he a babe or what!! All you people are fantastic, and are an enormous help, with your support I know I can do this again. I am sorry for rambling on, this is the most I have every written about myself, I am quite a reserved Brit.
              Lots of love and hugs to all you lovely people:h :l
              Mary x

Comment

Mini Introductions

OK here goes.

My name is Nancy. I'm 58 years old and I have three grown children and four grandchildren. I have been married to my hubby since I was 17.
                I live on a "farm" in central Alabama, in the USA.
                We grow blackberries and grapes. My hubby's hobby besides gardening is making wine. We moved here about 6-7 years ago after raising our kids in the city.

Thanks!

Nancy:l
                "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Mini Introductions

Trish In Nebraska

I am Trish from Omaha, Nebraska. I grew up in Kansas. I am 56, will be 57 in September. I've never had children of my own but have two great stepchildren and two wonderful grandchildren, and two 'furry four legged children" that I adore. I work full time in management in the real estate industry. I was married briefly to husband # 1 who left me for a younger woman. Mind you, I was 12 years younger than him - go figure. Husband #2 was a darling and a raging alcoholic - though I didn't realize it when we were dating or first married. We were married 13 years. It was with him that I began to drink every day - he drank afternoons and evenings during the week all day on week -ends. I pretty much held it to evenings. When he went into liver failure and I couldn't take care of him at home anymore, he had to be moved to a hospice - by then he was dying - he would only go if he could take his vodka with him. He died a week later at age 54. You would think I would have learned but my habit didn't go away. Met husband #3 and we were married just about a year ago - he doesn't drink at all but he's been so supportive and it occurred to me in these last few months that I'd like to reclaim my life so that we can have some fun, plan things that don't revolve around my cocktail hour and get on with our lives. I can't for the life of me remember how I stumbled across this group but thank God I did. I'm on week two of mods and doing so much better. Here's to all of us!
                  Trish In Omaha

Shepard James 'Shep' Walker: I think it can best be said..."The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
                  Sidda: Well, what about the road back? What's that paved with?
                  Shepard James 'Shep' Walker
                  : Humility.

"Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood
                  "

Comment

Mini Introductions

Greetings to you all! My name is Carole, I live in County Durham, in the North of England. (so Bambs I am not really a little fishy - they are further up!) A really beautiful part of the country. I am 48 years old and a single mam to a wonderful 10 year old boy. His dad and I never married I have brought him up on my own, and thats been tough at times. I am self employed and work fairly long hours.

I have drank almost all of my life to date. I use alcohol (mainly red wine and cider - not together !!) to relax,shut out reality ok not face up to life!!!! I rememeber having my first ever taste of alcohol when I was about 6 years old, and it was a secret. I still prefer to drink alone, alcohol has been my best friend and we have made up some great fantasies together, all about a better life. Alcohol has also figured strongly in all of those events in life I would really rather forget, you know the ones that want to make you crawl into a hole!.

Anyway I am now on day 14 of abs I have just received sups and cds and a prescription for campral. although I have managed 14 days on will power alone, I still intend to go throught the programme, because often when the s**t hits the fan, as it does life is like that yeah, then will power isn't enough.

Actually I refute that last statement, it has not been willpower alone, it has also been with the help and support of this community, I have not got too involved with you guys, I have come in said my bit and gone out again, but I appreciate every single one of you. This site has been my God send.

Thank you. Love Carole

Comment

Mini Introductions

Carole, hope I didn't offend you re:fishy... My husband's Aunt and Uncle live in C. Durham. Stayed there loads. Harry Potters' Castle is there.

Have you been there?

Liz
                      xxx
                      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Mini Introductions

Hi,

My name is Lou, im 29 and from the wirral uk, im single with no kids. I started drinking heavily when i got together with my ex about 4 years ago...our evenings and wkends seemed to evolve around copious amounts of red wine. Anyway, after what has been pretty shitty year for me i turned to vodka, didnt even bother to mix it, just drank it in shots on an empty tum (worked quicker!!)
                        Things finaly came to a head the wk before last when id been drinking a bottle a day for about 3 wks. I just lost the plot..did a very silly thing and had to go to hosp but whilst there i told them about my drinking and they were really good, kept me in for 12 days and gave me a course of librium while i was there to stop the withdrawal. Unfortunatley my livers pretty f****d but they have given me supps to take and say that it will repair itself eventualy.
                        So im on day 13 of abs and am going to try an stick it for 2 to 3 months before i attempt moderation.
                        This site has been a godsend to me, i have found the support on here fantastic... so say hello to your new neighbour in absville!!!

Lots of love

Lou Lou x x
                        "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Mini Introductions

Fishy on a dishy

Bambino wrote: Carole, hope I didn't offend you re:fishy... My husband's Aunt and Uncle live in C. Durham. Stayed there loads. Harry Potters' Castle is there.

Have you been there?

Liz
                          xxx
                          Dearest Bambs, of course you didn't offend me, we're thicker skinned than that here in pink panther country!! love Carole

Comment

Mini Introductions

Hi I'm Brigid.
                            I am a stubborn, pig headed, obstinate crank when I want to be. I think thats what meant that it took me so long to actually do something about my drinking. I knew ages ago that I barely had it under control and the edges of control kept slipping further out of my grasp. I dont know how many times I told myself at 8am that I'd now stopped, only at 3 to be back at the bottlo. I'm not even sure exactly why that turned around. It didnt turn around immediately.. I fought every step of this transformation!!! So, I went cold turkey and didnt do meds but came to this site and told my husband. Most of all I told myself the truth about myself and I accepted it. Changing this has been about the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm now 9 and a half months sober. I thought about leaving this site.. have done so sometimes.. but I think I need to not think I'm someone other than I am and there is always part of me that is a drinker so I'd better treat myself as reformed - but always at risk, not as transformed, if you get my drift.
                            Brigid

Comment

Mini Introductions

I'm Dee. New here. I'm 42,live in Northern California, 5 wonderful grown children,2 which I contributed and 3 which my wonderful husband of 8 years contributed. I'm a Flight Attendant who loves her job. I'm a very happy, content person for the most part except when I feel that I've disappointed myself. My downfall in life is wine. I have a passion for health and fitness ANYTHING. I love to work out (mostly spinning class and weight training) and I have a big fear that despite of all of the healthy things I do, my drinking a bottle+ of wine every night is going to take me to an early grave afterall. I have been doing the supps, CD's(although not as much as I'd like to) and I'm on day 9 of abstinance. I plan to do 30 days and see if I can go moderate from there.I'm really glad I found this place. I can tell I'm going to love it here.
                              Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Comment

Mini Introductions

This is such a wonderful thread! So glad to know you guys.. and I've made some brilliant friends here, though I've lost track of some through my own neglect. :upset:

I'm MFM.. I'm 40, with 3 gorgeous children: daughter 13, son 8 and daughter 6. I'm a single mum and work full-time + overtime.. so I'm fairly frantic most of the time. Also, no social life, so drinking was my little friend. The friend you have when you're not having a friend.

I live in Canberra, Australia, and the cities here are so small that I cling to my anonymity. But I love this site and want to thank everyone here over and over again for your existance, your patience, your strength, your truth, and your coming back! Oh and I agree with Lori.. just keep talking, trying AND discovering!!

I joined MWO some time last year.. and have had a few short tries at abs. Mods hasn't worked for me.. No topa, have had too much stress and some very big down times.. dealing with bereavement & changeing relationships other things. Also moved from the country to the city, so heaps of changes.

I just had 16 days sober under my belt a day or two ago and wham! I crashed & burned. BUT I learned some big things about myself: I can't drink a light beer and think that i'm still ok. I drank 2 lite beers because of some stress.. then the next day i thought 'why not' and drank 2 more. So what you think? Then the next day some more stress: 2 bottles of red. Boy: I felt so crappy I drank some more. I clearly realise: drinking so much I poison myself: then I drink more to feel better. NOT a good routine. How did I do that for 20 years?

AND I was enjoying my relaxing sobriety SO much! I was actually discovering more time in my day! Enjoying so many things I had missed out on for ages!! I SO look forward to doing it again, instead of this insane and manic existence while drinking - Caffine button: UP - Alcohol button: DOWN

I also never normally had hangovers.. because I was just topping up each day. THIS is the first hangover I've had in years!! AAAAARGH!! Ant Sting in my brain!:upset:

I only have the supps, and don't get any exercise as it's been mid-winter here & I leave & get home in the freezing dark. My next attempt will include exercise. If I fail again.. I may try topa.. although I'm scared of what it might do to my mental state.. ie: it might effect my work.

SO I plan to begin again tomorow.

BUT: One other IMPORTANT thing I realised is that I really miss the days when I could just go to the pub (or public bar for anyone not familar with the lingo) after work. When I thought about what the primary function of going to the pub was... it was to "DEBRIEF" or in otherwords, to talk over whatever stressful event had happened that day, crack jokes & laugh about it. That is why I miss it! Not necessarily the booze. OK, think for a minute, I live alone and lack adult company in the evenings. Of course I miss those days. So what an idiot I am to lose touch with this site. Idiot me. MWO is the perfect place to debrief.

Thank you all once again.
                                Loads of Love & Appreciation to you all.
                                :h
                                MFM
                                myfavouritemartian

Comment

Working...
                                X