Weekly AA Thread - Week of July 13 - 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popeye!! Hello and I sure welcome your participation here. You have made such a wonderful transformation in your life and the more we all share about this stuff the more convinced I become that I am on the right path - and that my sobriety is worth fighting for on those bad days!

I used to drink like that too Pops. Get up and lots of times look at the coffee maker brewing, and just say "screw it" and pour myself a vodka drink. And just drink and not do much else all day until I couldn't drink anymore and then go to sleep (pass out). Then I'd do it all again the next day. What a pointless and sad life. I'm not sure how I ended up there but I'm glad not to be there any more. I too find myself wondering about people sometimes - wonder what AL does in their heads and lives that outsiders can't see. One thing is for sure - I'm grateful to be sober.

Gyco it is wonderful to have you with us as always! Love your insights. I never would have thought to ask for "Friends of Bill" at a hotel but I'll file that one away in my head for later. I bet that might work at hospitals too....

WF I too am pleasantly surprised at how well the AA principles work in other areas of life. Good, good tools. It's funny - one of my long term gal pals who is not an alkie (my old college room mate - so we go back 30+ years) finds some of my AA comments interesting. I've mentioned some things that I found helpful in dealing with *insert life situation here* and she has said more than once "sounds like I would like AA meetings." I'm glad you are taking things one day at a time with hubby. That sounds like a great approach.

I called my sponsor yesterday to break the news that I was adding a second sponsor specifically to work on the steps. She seemed to take it well. We'll see how it goes from here! Onward and forward.

This morning is the 12&12 meeting that I like so much so I'm looking forward to that. It's a really good group.

Have a great sober day one and all!! Strength and hope to all who might be struggling today.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

cuckoosnest83;667757 wrote: Mary, I doubt there is one of us that hasn't tried the significant quit date thing and I can honestly say it never worked for me.

I know today is the end of this week's thread so I don't mean to end my posting on a negative note but I didn't like today's meeting. In fact, after the meeting I ran some errands etc. and then tried to get to a 3:00 meeting just so I wasn't left with a bad experience prior to a Saturday night. On the way to the meeting I got caught in beach traffic and would have been late to the meeting so I turned around and came home. I know I won't be going to this meeting again because the meeting seemed to me to be dominated by 2 people with long-term (>10 years sobriety). At the first meeting I attended they asked (not demanded) that comments be kept to under 5 minutes so that everyone who wanted to could speak and all the people that spoke seemed to respect this rule. Not so at today's meeting. As I have been told by quite a few people, you need to shop around for meetings you like.
      hi 83,when we drank we aloud others to tell us how we should feel,when were sober we tend to do the same,one of the things ive lerned with AA over the years,any good old timer will recognise,were all the same,one drink away from disaster,of late again for me.i have to commit myself,to surrendering myself to something stronger then me,trust me it ain't another human
      being,specially considering most of them after talking to them drank but little time,i was at a meeting yesterday and the gentleman that i sat beside ,said for him,his AA program was like having an insurance policy,ding ding the bells went off in my head,what a wonderful feeling,it made sense,when in doubt,dont criticise the meeting,sit listen take what you need and leave,remember we only have 24 hours,then we start anew,i wish you happiness gyco

Comment

I'm going to read the end of this thread a little more thoroughly tomorrow. It's late & I'm tired, but I just wanted to say I'm happy all of you are here. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Good morning, all. Just wanted to say hi. Heading out to work. Had a lovely meeting yesterday. Will be going back this evening for a women's meeting. I love this group. Haven't time to read will do that tonight before I go to bed. Have a great day everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X