Weekly AA Thread - Week of July 20 - 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WF, I don't know if you've seen July's "Start of year 3 AF post" but when he describes his reaction to his wife starting AA, I could really relate to that feeling. I think for me the notion of AA meant "truly the end of the the line" for me and AL. It meant giving up even the slightest of "I'm really not an alkie" fantasies in all the various iterations of that. On the surface I made all kinds of excuses why AA wasn't for me (never having even been to a single meeting LOL). But deep down for me it was really about accepting that I'm addicted to alcohol.

I wish I could explain what it is about AA that's helping me, and I don't think I can articulate it very well. But it's helping - I sure relate to that!

I am starting to understand why I see people with dog eared big books with 3 different colors of highlighter on every page. I really do see something new each time I read a page. This past week I got a lot out of reading Chapters 2 & 3 again. Bill W and the early AA's sure know their alkies. So much of their description of the alkie thinking is like looking in the mirror for me. That really does set the tone of credibility - a deep understanding of the problem.

Funny - when I first went to AA and said I had serious issues with the HP / religious / spiritual business people kept saying "read chapter 4 and you will be OK..." I read Chapter 4 and didn't get it at all. This week I think I truly started getting it. I am also getting comfortable that this spiritual business is my own personal journey - not a requirement for me to accept anyone else's "understanding" or religion or whatever.

"Willingness is the key that unlocks the door." I like that part. I've read it so many times but it finally spoke to me in a new way I think.

Something else jumped out at me in the sauna yesterday from the 12 & 12 book - I read Steps 3&4 again and I can't remember which of those chapters this part was in. But it talked about our self (free) will and the fact that we always have it - it never goes away. It's just a question of what we do with it, and trying to bring our own will (choices) in line with HP will. All this while stressing the importance of being active and not passive.

This might sound crazy but I'm finding so many analogies with my gardening experience this year. That garden is definitely a place where I don't have the power LOL. It's humbling to realize just how powerless I really am over that garden. And it doesn't happen unless I'm active in it. Passive would lead to nothing but a weed patch. And I certainly have to work in harmony with mother nature to get any sort of good results. When I try to mess with things too much, I end up killing something. The Garden has been a good place for learning this year.

Have a good day everyone!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG, I haven't seen that thread,so will try to look it up.
      It is amazing how some of the lessons in the BB are intertwined with every day life. The sermon at church today( I went back after going to AA, since my HP is God) was about Footprints in the Sand, the poem. Not sure if you read it, but the person is upset since they only see one set of footprints in the sand when they are going through a rough time. God then states that those are his/her footprints, since he/she was carrying him through that difficult time.
      The tonight at the BB reading we read about the Mic-Mac Indian, one of the last stories. AFter finally reaching AA and gaining sobriety, the fellow is at a Party and tempted to drink, he leaves and calls his sponsor and no answer, so he ends up at home and tells God, well it's you and me. With his HP, he was able to stay sober that night. Just like the footprint poem.

I truly believe my HP has been helping me these past few months and guiding me down this current path. I am in amazement since I never would have thought I could get this far in a million years. Without the help of AA, my counselor and MWO I know this would not be my current reality.

Forgot to add, I love the analogy with the garden. It works for me
      Winefree

Comment

I loved the garden analogy, too.

I first heard the Footprints poem several years ago and have never forgotten it. Thanks for sharing that BB version, WF. There are 3 versions of this poem, but this is the earliest:

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

?You promised me Lord,
        that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me??

The Lord replied, ?The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.?
        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Hi WF and Dill. I love that poem too, and thank you Dill for sharing the original version. My faith is shallow at best. What I thought when reading was "I hope someday I truly believe I will be carried through the darkest hours of my life."

That just tells me how far I have yet to go.

I guess we should start another thread for this week eh? Just now thought of that. Mary I hope you are having a very nice and relaxing time on your vacation.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

hi everyone ,glad to see again AA is working,as far as bad meetings when things get out of hand i beleive that is why yiou have a chair person,
            there suppose to be in control,in there to keep the peace,if they cant they shouldnt run the meeting,as far as the people causing the disturbance should be taken off to the side and told if they cant conduct themselves in a better manner,they should leave untill they can,to me that is as bad as the person that goes to a meeting drunk,that is one of the reasons i left AA,no one had the balls enuff to stand up and say leave,even in sobriety we have people tht make a s s e s of themselves,and ruin it for others,teach nc to hear from you.gyco

Comment

Working...
            X