Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOME Pain, NO Gain, MAINTAIN! aka December Abbercizers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leelou - I'm with you on the Boobs thing! Lots of wrinkly cups
    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Good morning DG, Marshy, Suni, Loop, Sweaty Betty, Tom 4.0 and Leelou..

Omg lol...I hear you Leelou. I have two bra sizes..one for when I have them, and one to make me look like I have them :H:H
      Too bad we can't keep those in our quest for fitness.

Marshy, you can do it. Just think, a mere 1 pound a week or so, and you will be there by Spring, then trying on bathing suits for summer to show it off!!

This is a very common misconception. There is no way on earth to 'spot reduce' fat. Crunches do not burn fat in the belly area. Your body gains and loses fat in a pattern predetermined by your genetics. The only way to lose fat in the belly area is to maintain a calorie deficit though diet and exercise and burn fat overall.

Loop, I have to disagree with those experts. I firmly believe you can spot train and I'll tell you why for two reasons.
      I owned, and actually follow faithfully one of those Abs of Steel videos yrs ago. That is THE only exercise I got, and after 6 weeks, I could not believe the change. Waist was smaller, hips were tiny and stomach definitely flat(ter). I did not change my diet or anything else in my life, except to incorporate this video daily..sometimes twice a day.
      Second example is someone I know has a job requiring them to use one side of their body more. That one side is more built up..you can see it. I'm not poo pooing your research, I'm poo pooing what they say.
      And, just thought of one more example. I broke my left foot and so my right leg was what of course took all the work getting from place to place. Once I could walk normally again, I saw my right leg was much more built up.
      Oh, another example I just thought of. When I had my first baby, I carried him around A LOT. One day after a shower I was looking in the mirror and could not believe my arms. I actually had sexy arms!! :H:H
      Don't have them anymore but that's another story...kind O why I'm joining Decembers thread haha
      So..when it comes to spot training, I ignore the experts.

Off soon to do more painting. That will be my exercise for the day...up down up down..

DLA :l
      Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
      Sir Walter Scott
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

That all makes perfect sense drylife. You didn't change anything in your life except did crunches (ie added exercise). You created a calorie deficit by increasing your exercise and eating the same. You lost fat all over, in your waist, hips AND tummy.

And you can train certain muscles and build them up, your friends one side, your foot and your arms. That will build muscle in the specific area that you train but it isn't going to selectively only burn fat in that area.

It isn't just the experts, google 'spot reduce fat' and you'll see what i mean.

As far as crunches go, every exercise has it's place. I do crunches once a week. If you do enough of them you are going to create a calorie deficit and lose fat all over, including your tummy.

If it's a flatter tummy you're after, you can get it much more easily than by doing a million crunches. The most important ingredient is a sensible diet. Second is resistance training emphasizing large muscle groups like your legs and back. Third is a little bit of cardio.

Abs of steel will get you there if you do them all winter long, over and over again, but not nearly as fast as a sensible six meal a day plan with things like a grilled chicken salad with an olive oil vinaigrette.
        :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
        :what?:
        sigpic
        Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
        A Forum
        Trolls need not apply

Comment

recently I have been trying a vegan diet. Its fun. I started it nothing to do with weight but have lost lots as an aside. You have to make the effort and learn more stuff, but it has led me to be more creative with food.
          I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

I always find it interesting to hear about different approaches to exercise and diet. To me, the MAIN focus of this thread is just for us to help support each other in getting off the sofa and getting active! I hope we can all share information about what we are doing in the diet / exercise realm in a balanced way. What is THE most effective for, say, burning fat might not actually be enjoyable and balanced for many folks. And what is enjoyable and effective in a balanced way for someone might not come close to another persons' fitness goals, or might be too much for someone else.

I hope we can keep our primary focus on just motivating each other to ABBERCISE - whatever that means to YOU!

:b&d:

(she says as she sits on her butt in her office having missed the gym today!!! grrrrr)

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

hey lo0p,,great advise...I totally agree that weight training and resistance training a key to changing your body. I'm having trouble with my knees though, and it has me doing less weight on the squats than I would like. Hoping with some weight loss that problem will resolve itself. Thanks for the inspiration everyone!
              Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Comment

I'm taking a sickie until at least Sunday. But I'll be watching you all from the sidelines. Carry on!
                sigpic
                AF since December 22nd 2008
                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Day 3, done. 67 to go.

Here's a preview of what my days look like:

Mon Training day
                  Tue Training day
                  Wed Day off
                  Thu Training day
                  Fri Training day
                  Sat Day off
                  Sun Day off

Day off (3 days/wk):
                  5:45 wake up, coffee
                  6:30 45 minutes fasted AM cardio
                  8:00 meal 1 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies
                  10:30 meal 2 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies, or protein shake with flax oil
                  12:30 meal 3 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies
                  3:00 meal 4 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies, or protein shake with flax oil
                  5:30 meal 5 38g pro, 15-25g starchy carb, 0-5g fat, fibrous green veggies
                  8:00 meal 6 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies, or protein shake with flax oil
                  10:30 sleep

Training Day (4 days/wk):
                  5:45 wake up, coffee
                  6:30 45 minutes fasted am cardio
                  8:00 meal 1 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies
                  10:30 meal 2 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies, or protein shake with flax oil
                  12:30 meal 3 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies
                  3:00 meal 4 38g pro, 0-4g carb, 14g fat, fibrous green veggies, or protein shake with flax oil
                  5:00 meal 5 1 apple
                  5:30 Resistance training
                  6:30 meal 6 protein shake, 29g pro, 70g carb (pure sugar), 0g fat
                  8:00 meal 7 29g pro, 70g starchy carb, 0-5g fat
                  10:30 sleep

Rinse, repeat... ... ...

There is a reason for every single one of those meals. Yes, I am ingesting 70g of pure sugar (that's like 2/3 of a cup) at 6:30pm on training days and 70g carbs, which is like a heaping plate full of rice right before I go to sleep. Fastest fat burning protocol I've ever seen work for anyone, and I've seen a lot of different programs in action.

Oh and one day a week I pig out and eat whatever I want. This is to stimulate my thyroid and keep it from slowing down my metabolism.

edit: those macronutrient amounts are specific to me, they'll only work with someone who is very close to the same build I am.
                  :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                  :what?:
                  sigpic
                  Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                  A Forum
                  Trolls need not apply

Comment

Hello Abbercizers! :b&d:

Well, after a couple of lazy slug days, I'm back at it today. I will be glad when me and Mr. Doggy are both feeling absolutely 100% at the same time! Anyway...

For Friday: 20 minutes cardio and upper body workout

Saturday Plan: Cardio & lower body
                    Sunday plan: Cardio
                    Monday plan: Cardio and upper body

Tuesday I am due to work with PT. I really like PT as you know. But I am also considering another option that a good friend of mine has used for a long time with some pretty awesome results - a different trainer - a little more "hard core body building" than what I have been doing up to this point. Baby steps forward! So I'm still thinkin' about it. I only have one pre-paid PT session left, so I'm sure the Universe will nudge me one way or the other soon...

Alright - GET BUSY!! :b&d::sofa::b&d:

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Yoga can be a good one. It has the physical exercise aspect but is also calming at a mental level too. I am finding it a key tool in my recovery.
                      I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

Raven.joy, very timely remark you made about yoga. I started doing just a little bit of yoga for the stretching benefits a LONG time ago, but then let it fall by the wayside. I also really enjoyed the quiet music that went with it. I really really really need to work on some flexibility. I need to drag those DVD's back out! Do you do yoga at home or do you go to a studio?

Where the heck IS everyone?? :b&d::sofa::b&d:

I mentioned it already in AF daily but have made a big decision about a big change to my training regimen. I'm going to work with a coach for 12 weeks on a more intense heavy weight oriented program as opposed to the current style of weight training which is a bit more low weight high rep focused. (that's a very broad generalization) Anyway, there is one woman in particular who I have known for quite awhile who uses this coach and swears by him. Since I want what she's got, well...why not? So I'm off of exercise this week to rest up for whatever it is that is coming next!

So what's YOUR excuse for not exercising today, HUH?? :b&d:

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

No excuse needed! Gymming n swimming today. My first proper session since shaking off a cold and it felt good to be back.

Raven, I started yoga classes earlier this year. But then I hurt my foot (not at yoga!), then work got in the way of my class time, blah blah blah. I think I'll try to find a new class in the new year.
                          sigpic
                          AF since December 22nd 2008
                          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi Guys;
                            I'm having a very hard time finding time and energy to exercise during the week these days, but I find time on the weekends. Rode the gym bike today and I'll hit the weights tomorrow. I have to remember that exercisie is energizing even when you feel too tired to do it.

Tom

Comment

Hi Marshy and Tom! I should be getting my new workout and diet plan any time now. Probably tomorrow for a Monday start. I can't wait. :b&d: I'm not doing well food wise with a week off of exercising, and no structure. There is a lot of growth opportunity for me in the eating management department!

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Hope your all getting some of your exercise goals in before Xmas.
                                I'm over most of my Xmas functions now... we just have a small family Xmas lunch here, and that is going to be a quiet affair. SO I have more time to commit to my exercise goals.

This week, I have some time off work, so I have ramped my training up a notch. It is also the last week of our "Lose kilos for Charity" 8 week challenge I joined in October... and the pressure is on before I have my "After" photo taken tomorrow!!

The challenge started with approx. 80 people, and we split into 4 teams of 20.
                                Last week at our bootcamp training in the park, we had 6 members of our team there. Some left for holidays etc.. but all in all, most teams seemed to have reduced by half the team numbers during the course of the challenge. I felt really good that I was not one of the ones who pulled out, and really enjoyed being apart of our team! (Leading up to the group challenge, I was petrified of group training, it brought me to tears even!)

On average, our team has lost 6kilo each (I think that's just over 13pounds).

I have lost 5kilo, and this week I promised to add one more to it!

So, at the end of this week, I will be half way to my ultimate goal of 12kilo weightloss.

So far, I am feeling great, and exercise has been indispensable in helping me go AF too. This is definitely a lifestyle change that I will continue.

Anyway, I gotta go make myself look my best before tomorrows "After" photo. I guess we'll re-do our measurements too. That will be interesting. I know I've lost my boobs!

Comment

Working...
                                X