Clear All

Thursday Oct 5th

what did i say mack?
    oh nevermind.
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Why we shouldnt split up you plonker
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

First off i think you can be a good mentor without even realising it...Just your everyday posts....What your doing...how your still avoiding triggers...how it feels to be 1-2-3 months abs...if it gets better or not..the benefits of being long term....The list goes on..
        Also encouragment....Youve been there and done that...you know what its like to be on day 5 and wonder why the hell am i putting myself through this agony...And you know it gets better....And i know you cant relax for a minute...Because there are sabatours around every corner..
        Okay you get my drift....I know having long term abbers around did and still does benefit me.

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Your posts have almost all echoed my sentiments. Our short term goal here on the abs board is the same.....not to drink today. I must be honest and say that I was very timid when I first discovered MWO. I joined the abs as it seemed friendly,welcoming and supportive, which it is. Not every abstinence based program site is that open-minded. This "open -minded" outlook of MWO it what attracted me. I think if you follow this program most honest people would admit that abstinence is the best route.Some,like Gabby if I'm correct,did not start out with the intention of staying abs forever. Her program evolved to bring her where she is today,thankfully. I hope some day to be where she is. However I must take babysteps now. It helps me to know if I'm struggling tonight that Lisa is in N.O on business and struggling there, or that Mike is in Alaska fighting an urge there, or that Mack, who is 5 hours ahead of me got over his urge to drink and is now going to bed. I don't feel so alone. I must think short term right now as I can't think about x-mas drinks or i'll never make it through dinner tonight without a drink.
          This program has been a great help to me. I will continue to be here no matter what.
          Janet

ps. Barb, I have found, unfortunately, that when I but heads with my teenage sons that their heads are stonger than mine

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

I just started to write a long "my opinion" note and realized that perhaps I should wait until I am inauggurated (we really need a spell check on this thing) as mayor. I tend to be pretty bossy when I am in charge, so you may want to re-think my appointment in a week and a half

If I get a vote, I don't think anyone should go anywhere. I know how Kathy feels and I know how Mack feels. We want a guarantee that we are going to be able to meet our goals and know there is none. That is why we are so shakey to even set them because that means we may be proven a failure - yet again. We all need different things from abs. By the way, I also know how you long-timers also feel.

Enough of my stuff - "see you later".

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

A speel ceck wud bee grat

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Thanks for clearing that up, Mack!

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Barb, it wasnt that long ago that i was a 15 year old lad...I thought i new everything...I found out the hard way....I was also say in the top 20% of my school...but it did me no good because i had my prioritys in the wrong order (friends and beer in the park first)
                  I could proberly have done with some tough love...Although he wont thank you for it now...
                  Your proberly gonna end up the bad guy whatever you do.
                  My daughters 12 and i've been reduced to bribary( spell check) i told her if she can get to set 1 maths....she can have an i-pod for christmas...She might not get to set 1 but shes trying her best....And i was gonna get her one anyway.
                  Good luck...Macks

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

I think everyone is JUST SCARED. And there is no shame in admitting it.
                    I was in AA a month or so ago and a guy who was picking up his 40 YEAR BIRTHDAY (sobriety) PIN said in his speech at one point about alcohol "The stuff still scares the sh*t out of me".
                    So, will we ever feel at complete ease about our relationship with alcohol? I dont know guys!!
                    But what I DO know is this: Am I scared? Yes. I am scared. In the words of someone I admire greatly, "the stuff still scares the sh*t out of me"!
                    So thats the truth guys.
                    I think thats what it really comes down to right?
                    I dont think - whether we change what rooms we are in or whether we post in one room or another - we will ever stop being scared
                    Just sayin'.
                    Boy I am emotional today.
                    Day 5.
                    Jen
                    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Big hugs to you Jen.

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Yes spell check, I used to be a fair speller but have become dependant on spell check.

I realize I don't have many AF days under my belt, but I'm 50 years old and have been struggling for a very long time. I am a drinker like Mike, one or two will never work for me it's all the way or no way. When I drank, deep down I knew exactly what I was doing and it makes me sick. I've mentioned this before in a different thread I hadt 72 AF days between Apr/Jun, and I'm now on day 32 and it's hard, but I'm living to learn with it day by day. I have no friends right now because they all party, and I have no intention on telling my family about my personal war. I enjoy everyone that comes to the boards and think a split may do more harm than good. I think it would be helpful when someone jumps into Absville and needs support because they slipped that they not provide all the details. Saying you slipped whether it's one or twenty is a slip when your going AF. The details of what you drank, how many, etc., while it helps the writer to get out the details, it seems to hurt my psychological well-being. I may be selfish, but I think we all know what a slip is and that's all that's needed. I like the check-list too and think we should all come up with a check-list and post that in a thread. The support I get from this board is the commonality of our struggle, the honesty, genuine caring and great food for thought - which I need a lot of.
                        spacie

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

I agree with the check list thing. can someone make it? Like an attendance sheet or somethin? with like a batting average, only af average? lol

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Hi --

Still here.
                            This whole discussion while good, is freaking me out. Sorry.
                            Day 2.

Kate

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Don't freak out Kate. I bet everything is pretty much stayin the same. Everybody just got a lot off their chest.
                              That is unless I am a way huge big plonker and just dont get it.

ps...is a plonker like a united kindomie blonde or something like that?

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

I dont even know what a plonker is....

Spacie...I have noted what you said about the details...I think your right..I cant remember if i did...if i did i wont do it again..sorry:l

Katie...I know...me to...Keep it up ( day 2 )

Comment

Working...
                                X