Thursday Oct 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Oct 5th

Hey all -- heading off to my first full-fledged hypno session in a little while. Feeling a bit nervous about it. Will let you know how it goes.

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Well, thank you Mike. I'm sure I'll be available for a Halloween Party! Sure hope we get to dress up.

Comment

Thursday Oct 5th

Gabby's Question about Mentors

On the question of how people can help when others slip.

As all the old timers have said, it is painful for them when others slip, all too familiar as they see others fall into the traps they have fallen into themselves many times before. I'm really familiar with that feeling. Not with drinking of course. I get to have the "fun" of treating you all to watching me flounder around. But I do have that feeling with my daughter as I watch her struggle to learn to manage her life and make some of the same painful mistakes that I made!

So I try to:

1. Don't give too much unsolicited advice, because she turns me off
        2. Wait til she asks for advice and try and help her find her own solutions
        3. Support her when she's in pain but don't take it on myself, even though my heart aches for her
        4. Take care of myself when things get too stressful
        5. Let her take the consequences of her own actions
        6. Am empathic while she is dealing with those consequences
        7.Remember that she is she, and I am me! We are SEPARATE!

I'm not always successful at this, and when I'm not, it leads to most of our quarrels and/or difficulties.

Anyway, I think some of these things may be relevant to mentoring too.

I still am in favor of two Absvilles, especially so that long-term Abbers have a place to get away to discuss their special concerns. I don't see any reason why this should be like a freaking divorce.

At any rate, I am finishing day 3. I am tired.

Take care, all!:l

Kathy

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
        X