Friday, October 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday, October 13

I have to let go of the fiact that booze will solve my problems and that it is the only way to have fun. I also have to let go of the fact that I can count on those closest to me to try and make it easier for me.

I wish I was married to a non-drinker. All of the tests came back great (yeah) - now he think's he's Superman. I've created interests that don't include him (really, if he wanted to join the Knitting Guild or take a sewing class with me, I'd let him) but it sure would be nice to have something we both enjoy doing together besides drinking and watching TV.

I'm getting ready to jump back on board because of all of the wonderful posts you guys have put out there. I got my speaker pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond, so I am doing the hypno full boat again. Now I need to get back to exercise and the other healthy things I was doing.

Mack, I can not get that Doris Day song out of my head!!

Comment

Friday, October 13

Barb!!!!! That is happening to me too.
      The future's not ours to see.......la la la la
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hello Absville,

It's great to see some new "faces" here!:welcome:

Barb.......we share the drinking and watching tv hubby! Hard isn't it? I too am looking for things to do after dinner.

Mike.......I've got to give up the sharing of drink with hubby. This is hard after 41 years. It is one thing that we share and as we age , things we do together start to be harder to come by. I like movies...he'll watch them if I go ahead and buy them on tv , but he won't agree to watch one ahead of time. He has a sarcastic side when drinking, so it is unpleasent to be around him if he is awake. Eaiser to take if I'm numb!

Gotta run for now.
        Nancy

I do have some hobbies like sewing and crochet.
        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Friday, October 13

southernbelle47 wrote: Mike.......I've got to give up the sharing of drink with hubby. This is hard after 41 years.
          It is hard when your hubby is also your drinkin' buddy. Mine was too, for more than half my life. Part of me misses it (and him) and part of me knows that it was a slow death for us both.

Hard it is.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Friday, October 13

Just popping in quickly to say hello to everyone, especially those who are new to Absville!

And -- congratulations to Mackeral -- you have won yourself a brand new, decked-out fishing boat! You get to pick it out, with any gear and accessories you want. (And thanks to Gabby, my Prize Consultant! )

Have a great day, I have to get back to work now~

Mike
            "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Friday, October 13

Sewing and crocheting does slow the drinking down (I love to knit too and knit blankets for charity). I don't mind the TV part - I love to rent movies.

I try not to think of giving up drinking but trading. Instead of a drink, I have a sweet treat (yogurt and fruit, low fat ice cream). The problem with giving up a habit is that it leaves a hole. If you don't hurry up and fill that hole with something, it will fill itself. It usually fills itself itself up back with scotch in my case.

Comment

Friday, October 13

I can now die a happy man.....

After i've used my new boat..
                I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hey Mike.....
                  I'm going to have to set my alarm in the morning....these prizes are gettin' good!!

I'm having a little trouble filling in that hole left by not drinking. Guess I need a hobby too. I thought my hobby might be scrapbooking. I have lots of old family photos - some I just got from my mom's house and had not ever even seen before. My problem is that every time I think I will start working on it I get a picture in my head of drinking wine while I work on it. I don't know why that is/ But so far I bought a bunch of stuff to work on it - the scrapbook, the paper, the glue gun thingy...it's just sitting there.
                  Guess I want my old friend with me to enjoy it. I bet if I could just get started I would be ok.

Gina- hope the job interview went well-
                  Barb- glad to hear hubby is doing well ...you sound pertty good too!
                  both you, Barb and Nancy (and others ) have an aspect to this that I do not ...a spouse who drinks.
                  Kudos to you for doing this...I would have a pretty tough time in that situation.
                  :welcome: to all the new folks here --glad you are here.

Take care!
                  Lisa

Comment

Friday, October 13

I like scrapbooking too, Lisa....... I made my hubby one from all his old school pictures. It has school busses with their pictures in the windows and all kinds of fun stuff.

There is a small christian bookstore in the town nearest here that has tables set up and sells supplies. Maybe you could find something like that.
                    It would be fun and safe to do that as drinking would not be an option!

I may check into it as I have tons of photos.....Thanks for mentioning it!

Nancy:l
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hello everyone:

The clock is ticking the last seconds away of my work obligations for the week.

Everything in my life seems to be in total disarray right now. I had not been sick one day since I stopped drinking last December, and this inner ear infection has thrown a wrench into the works something fierce.

Also, I believe the change of the seasons and weather right now are messing up my systems as well.

So, what to do, what to do. At least right now, having a drink is only one notch above slamming my head in a car door. However, having a drink is a notch below hitting myself in the head with a 2 lb. ball peen hammer. So, if this disarray continues, I might be out in the garage this evening with a ball peen hammer.

Better yet, I think, to just go with the flow for right now. Let things be as they are, and not try to control anything at all. Just let it be.

I think I posted about a dream I had in Long Term on the October 5th thread, where I was drinking again in a nightmare of sorts. So yes, I have had them, but not very often.

I'll check back in later with some sort of exercise report. My molecules seem to be scattered into a pattern of no discernable organization right now. Maybe I wrote this, and well.....maybe I didn't.

A feeling of profound detachment from the physical body which contains that stuff, which I may or may not be, as well.

I know you all have been there. The Aussie's may call it a "bonkers walkabout" Maybe they know how to get back. I'm sober, but good grief, this is weird.

Maybe it's some spiritual readjustments. Brain, body, mind, soul all in a state of chaos, right before re-organizing to a new higher level. That is what I choose to believe right now, by God. :nutso:

Later.

Neil

Comment

Friday, October 13

So many wonderful posts today, it's hard to keep up! I don't know what is worse, having a significant other who drinks or being alone and having alcohol be your companion. I have more options now, of course, but for many years, it wasn't like I could go out and do non-alcohol things very easily. It meant a baby-sitter, money for entertainment--heck a bottle of wine was much less expensive. I feel for both of you, Barb and Nancy. It has been so much easier not to drink with my supportive sister being here!

I feel the urges when I first get on the computer or when I sit down and sew, but when I just get to it, I forget about the drinking, eventually, and I hope that the new habit of doing it without drinking will take over. I imagine that the same will happen with the scrapbooking, too, Lisa!! (I know I'm a fine one to talk, but it does work when I listen to myself!:H )

Macks, enjoy your boat!!

Hi Tracy, Farmer and Meridian! Welcome aboard!! Hope to see you around here regularly!

It's good to see you too, Gina! I'm glad you're hanging around. I always love your posts! I hope your job interview went well!

I'm going to a high school football game tonight, and I'll get to see the band and guard perform, sans Maddy, of course. At least I'll get to see my flags! It's also a good way to avoid temptation on a Friday night!

Anyway, that's all for now. Have a great night, all!

Hugs,

Kathy:l

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hi everyone,
                          it's neither here nor there, but I did want to put this down in words.... it was my mum and dad's 50th anniversary of meeting each other today. And it was a friday the 13th then too. Thinking back it must have been 1956... wow ... that is a long time ago.
                          Just really wanted this to appear somewhere in "print" - it's an amazing date.
                          Lol to you all!
                          Pinkmilk

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hello!!!

Hi all,

Just checking in... sorry iv not been about much, was my first week back in work this week after 4 months off with depression...needless to say iv been mad busy!! It feels so good though to be back in to the normal swing of things and i know i have all you guys as well as myself to thank for that, if i hadnt found this site god knows where id be now.
                            Im feeling good at the moment and most of all im feeling capable and confident in myself which i havent felt for ages..its so nice not to feel crap!!

I got loads of reading and catching up to do tonight!!!

Liz...are you back home yet??? i hope your ok honey x x

Loves to all

Lou- Lou x x x x
                            "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Friday, October 13

Hi Lou Lou sweets,
                              I'm glad you had a good week back to work. It had to feel pretty good. I have missed ya around here. Look forward to hearin from Liz too.
                              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Friday, October 13

Back again:

Well, I was getting ready to exercise, and found out that I didn't need that at all.

I needed some sleep! I needed to rest! So I just took a 3 hour nap, and now feel a lot better. Getting over this infection, and working all week just took it all out of these old bones. I have a craving for some Vitamin C tablets for some reason also.

Another thing, I believe I'm still dehydrated a bit. Won't go into how I got that way, but lets just say all those antibiotics I had to take didn't help me retain enough fluid. The confusion I believe is a strong indicator of dehydration. Need to get hydrated big time.

Vitamin C and some gatorade sound super good right now.

I remember some other old timers saying not to get dehydrated, as it will fool you into thinking that maybe you need a drink of something else. Well, that's just not going to happen today. NO WAY!!

Everyone have a better one!

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X