Weekly AA Thread - Week of July 5 - July 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:welcome: All New posters to this thread.

:thanks: for the awesome input and advise.

I have been a member of MWO for over a year now, and when I started reading more posts and threads in the Monthly Abs section, I starting yearning for the attitutudes and outlooks of the folks that posted here. It seemed to me that One Day at a Time to them meant more than just fighting alcohol cravings one day at a time, it meant learning to live better one day at a time.

I also considered myself a high-functioning alkie, but at just 5 months sober, I can see that I wasn't nearly as functional as I thought. For me, alot of keeping my secret (I was a secret drinker) was making sure that everything around me appeared in control and normal.

I am so grateful to the members here who share their journey of sobriety so openly and honestly. I would never have even considered joining AA before, but am so happy to have been shown the way.

Somebody at a meeting the other evening stated that alcohol "robs your soul". That is so true for me. I feel that I am learning how to restore that back into my life.

Thanks for all the thoughts and keeping coming back to this thread

HG
    AF 01/30/10

Look Back & Thank God
    Look Forward & Trust God
    Look Around & Serve God
    Look Within & Find God

Comment

[QUOTE=Horsegirl;905472I also considered myself a high-functioning alkie, but at just 5 months sober, [b]I can see that I wasn't nearly as functional as I thought. For me, alot of keeping my secret (I was a secret drinker) was making sure that everything around me appeared in control and normal.

I am so grateful to the members here who share their journey of sobriety so openly and honestly. I would never have even considered joining AA before, but am so happy to have been shown the way.

Somebody at a meeting the other evening stated that alcohol "robs your soul".[/b] That is so true for me. I feel that I am learning how to restore that back into my life.

I thought I was a lot more functional than reality too. I associated functionality with things. Things like a house, a job, a car, a drivers license. Those outward signs are not necessarily signs of "functionality." In my case, they weren't really signs of anything I don't think. Signs of my ability to "fake it" maybe - and that "faking" ability was rapidly diminishing in the end.

I arrived at AA much the same way you did. I was inspired by some posts here at MWO (AAthlete in particular) and finally decided to go see what it was all about. Funny how resistant I was to the idea of AA. Without ever going to a single meeting, I was sure that is was old fashioned, a religious cult, full of weirdos, etc. I wish I had been that sure that a new kind of drink was "not for me." But when it came to my drinking, I was willing to try anything. :H

Anyway, it's working for me and I'm just glad I went. We can encounter people who "have what we want" on-line as well as in person!!!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Horsegirl;905472 wrote: :
        I also considered myself a high-functioning alkie, but at just 5 months sober, I can see that I wasn't nearly as functional as I thought. For me, alot of keeping my secret (I was a secret drinker) was making sure that everything around me appeared in control and normal.
        HG
        HG Gosh...you just read my thoughts. When I was a drunk I also thought I was functioning okay. I thought I fooled everyone.But now that I have a comparison I realise that I was just barely hanging on! I walked around with a face that could crack mirrors, dragging my feet, hardly conversing, doing the bare minimum with my job, my relationship, my motherhood.Being miserable, impatient. Nothing meant much unless it involved alcohol.

Now that I am five weeks sober I already see and feel the difference in my energy, spirit and drive. It is tremendous! Argghh why didn?t I do this earlier???I wake up happy, energised and ready to face the day. Even people around me have noticed my energy. So many are smiling back at me!

Sometimes I have moments of intense happiness that I burst into tears. I am finally doing it. I am finally taking control. Oh Man what a feeling!:h

This is why I wish to be in the month Ab because I don't want this new found happiness to end. Like AA says it works if you work it. xxxxxxx
        Be strong-
        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

rebirth;905532 wrote:

Sometimes I have moments of intense happiness that I burst into tears. I am finally doing it. I am finally taking control. Oh Man what a feeling!:h
          Rebirth - I know exactly how you feel and Im so happy for you! I now understand how it must feel to be born-again with religion because I really feel I have woken up and opened my eyes for the 1st time in my adult life.....
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Chillgirl a big hug cause that's how I feel..born-again with religion. If we were in a church I would be jumping up and down in a delirious state shouting for joy and praising my higher power. I am not religious though and I dont attend church but I am feeling a spiritual awakening here!!!!

Some think it's the novelty of being sober but to me it's much much more than that...

DG I read all your posts and nod my head all the time. ..yup..yes..exactly how I feel...hit the nail on the head..how true..etc
            Be strong-
            We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

Hi Everyone I also attend AA meeting's and MYO give's me more knowledge to fight this insidious desease/addiction that will kill us and make our life's worthless and full of despair, sorrow, misery the list goe's on and on.I first went to AA back in 1998 and i said this bs won't work for me and out the door i went.What awaited me?More drinking and personal problems.family,jobs,relationships,and legal problems.This time im not playing game's with my life!I am extremly grateful to be alive and have my freedom!I had my 30 day's yesterday and got my red chip and was able to make the coffee and serve it to pp,At my home group this is the standard then you share your story of what is was like and what it is like now' when you get your 90 day's,I have met some of the best ppl in the world in AA and my new friend's here at MYO.You all rock in my book i really pay close attention to Doggygirl and to all the other's here ...to many to mention.I like how Doggygirl said spiritual program!I like to say AA meetings our like therapy for me.When someone ask me why i go to AA i say i need a daily check uo from the neck up. A old timer told me... once we get threw the physical withdrawl it's a inside job,meaning we MUST change our thinking and become more spiritual, I do need work in this area.He also told me if a man or women doesen't change they most likely will return to drinking/drugin again. OK im rambling now but i will be back to check in with you all. Trucker

Comment

WOW! A bunch of activity this week. Glad to be part of it. DG, I so appreciate the sandwich warning.

I'm still in a glow from the trip to San Antonio. I was amazed at how polite and friendly the people were. There were very long lines for restaurants located on the first parts of the Riverwalk and yet the folks were extremely well behaved. No harsh words, pushing,shoving, complaining and all that.

Other than that, I don't have much to contribute. Glad y'all are here.
                Love and Peace,
                Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Hi Trucker! Great to see you here in addition to other newcomers to this weekly thread! I look forward to your continued sharing. I know I would have run the other way out the door from AA had I bothered to go before I was ready too.

Hi Phil! That was pretty amazing how nice everyone was and the long lines at restaurants is a good example. A LOT of people most of whom seemed very serene and happy and calm, even when "crowded" things happened, as they always will. Good to see you as always! I'm still on the cloud too.

If any of you wander along between now and morning, I would love your thoughts on the following reading. I will be chairing a meeting in the morning. This reading feels "over my head" but that's a good thing. I am challenged to learn to see something new in it and I hope you will help me do that!

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

A.A. Thought For The Day

We in Alcoholics Anonymous do not enter into theological
                  discussions, but in carrying our message we attempt to explain the
                  simple "how" of the spiritual life. How faith in a Higher Power can
                  help you to overcome loneliness, fear, and anxiety. How it can
                  help you get along with other people. How it can make it possible
                  for you to rise above pain, sorrow, and despondency. How it can
                  help you to overcome your desires for the things that destroy. Have
                  I reached a simple, effective faith?

Meditation For The Day

Expect miracles of change in people's lives. Do not be held back
                  by unbelief. People can be changed and they are often ready and
                  waiting to be changed. Never believe that human nature cannot be
                  changed. We see changed people everyday. Do you have the faith to
                  make those changes possible? Modern miracles happen every day
                  in the lives of people. All miracles are in the realm of personalities.
                  Human nature can be changed and is always being changed. But we must
                  have enough faith so that we can be channels for God's strength into
                  the lives of others.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may have the faith to expect miracles. I pray that I
                  may be used by God to help change the lives of others.
                  There is a lot in this reading. I seem to be zeroing on on the Prayer for the Day. Do I have enough faith to expect the miracle in myself and in others? I caught myself just today thinking about a chronic relapser and thinking "she'll never make it." That is NOT up to ME to decide. I think part of this reading speaks to that. I need more faith that the miracle CAN happen for all of us. Whether it actually happens for all of us is not up to me.

Your thoughts?

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Horsegal: I too was a secret drinker & that definitely "robbed me of my soul." The hiding, lieing, sneaking around, etc. was far more destructive than the hangovers & even the passing/blacking out. Now that I can admit that I'm an alcoholic & am powerless over alcohol, my whole view of life has changed. My insides match my outsides. I'm not pretending anymore. That was so destructive! Thank you for the reminder.

It's so cool to read about the convention!

Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Just a quick pop in. I miss all of you sooooo, and think of you daily. Amazing the time that has passed. What a ride it has been, worth it all!!

xoxoxo, omw
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi trucker. Congratulations on your red chip! Bet that was a great moment for you. I got mine last week and I never thought I would be holding one of those! AA rocks!

Doggygirl that reading put a lump in my throat. I think it's perfect. x

Hello cpn1104, on my way and mary. Have a great AF day
                        Be strong-

Comment

Hi Everyone!! I've been lurking all week reading the posts and getting a feel for this thread. My 2 months anniversery of absolute sobriety is today and I thought I would celebrate by trying to find an AA meeting locally to check it out. I found one that is on my way home but it says it is closed (AA members only?). It's also WBBhNS which I get but it's also SS which I can't find a translation for anywhere. Is it OK if I go to this one tonite even if I'm not officially a member? Will I be "crashing" a party so to speak? I can't find any contact info for this particular meeting otherwise I would email the coordinator or leader and ask these questions. What do you all think? I don't want to make any judgements about AA until I've been to a meeting.
                          DG-I was going to PM you regarding these questions but I thought if I have them, others who are lurking and on the fence might as well and they should be able to see the answers. Hope your meeting went well this morning-I'm sure you did great chairing it. Looking forward to hearing how you steered the discussion.
                          Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.
                          OH Rebirth-Awesome pic!! You are gorgeous!!
                          :l
                          New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

papmom3;906192 wrote: Hi Everyone!! I've been lurking all week reading the posts and getting a feel for this thread. My 2 months anniversery of absolute sobriety is today and I thought I would celebrate by trying to find an AA meeting locally to check it out. I found one that is on my way home but it says it is closed (AA members only?). It's also WBBhNS which I get but it's also SS which I can't find a translation for anywhere. Is it OK if I go to this one tonite even if I'm not officially a member? Will I be "crashing" a party so to speak? I can't find any contact info for this particular meeting otherwise I would email the coordinator or leader and ask these questions. What do you all think? I don't want to make any judgements about AA until I've been to a meeting.
                            DG-I was going to PM you regarding these questions but I thought if I have them, others who are lurking and on the fence might as well and they should be able to see the answers. Hope your meeting went well this morning-I'm sure you did great chairing it. Looking forward to hearing how you steered the discussion.
                            Thanks everyone for any help you can give me.
                            OH Rebirth-Awesome pic!! You are gorgeous!!
                            Closed means alcoholics only - there's no membership required ever (just a desire to stop drinking).

W -Women

BB - Big Book study (they always have some around for everybody if you don't have your own).

NS - non smoking

SS - step study

On the AA website or local groups website, are usually list of these abbreviations, though occasionally I see some that aren't. Just show up, you will be welcomed! Great way to celebrate 60 days, and congratulations on that! :h
                            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Ahhh, thanks Dancelot!! On the key I was reading, 12 meant step study. There was no SS anywhere. So, the fact that I am sober right now and want to stay sober means it's OK to go to this meeting? I know I'm going to be really nervous walking through the door as if I'm imposing. I know that's silly but it's what I'm feeling right now. Well, I have all day to stew about it but I'll try not to talk myself out of it. I'll let you all know how it goes.
                              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

It could be step speaker ("SSpk" in the list I have). Unless it's Spanish speaking (that is "Span" on my list)! I'd guess step speaker. Is there a number for AA locally you can call? At least in large cities, there's usually a 24 hour line. There should be some local number(s) where someone will get back to you.

A speaker meeting is where you listen rather than participate like in a discussion meeting. I listened for a long time before I ever participated. Sometimes they go around the room, sometimes they call on people, sometimes they let anyone who wants to talk to jump in when they want to. You are never required to talk if you don't want to, even in a discussion meeting.

I was so nervous about going at first - I am kind of social phobic anyway. I told myself to drive there. I let myself wait in the car until I got up the nerve, then followed the sweetest lady who I'd never in my life peg as an alcoholic. She asked if I was looking for the meeting, I told her I'd never been to one, and she took my hand and led me in, where I was warmly welcomed. In the car I made myself imagine I'd be meeting people like Doggygirl and Retteacher (even if it wasn't really them), which gave me the nerve to go in.

I was 5 months sober before I ever went to AA, and that's OK - a desire to stay sober is a good reason too! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by going. All meetings and groups are a little different. I find I always get something
                                from any of them. When I asked on this thread about going, one person advised me "just go" and maybe take a notepad and jot down anything I can relate to use, and if I got 3, that was a successful meeting, even if I didn't like it.

Just hearing a story live, or sometimes hearing someone tell what sounds like your exact story - it is so moving in person. Like MWO come to life (except everyone is or their goal is sobriety, so the idea of moderation is not an option - and everyone there has tried it at some point, believe me).
                                ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X