Weekly AA Thread - Week of July 5 - July 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone! I'm really loving all the posts this week and all the sharing from new (to this thread) people. AWESOME. The talk about "high functioning alcoholic" really got me thinking since yesterday. I guess we all start out "high functioning" and then the functioning lessons over time. I think the amount of "functioning" we have when we quit simply depends on when we quit. Or simply how lucky we were. I was very lucky I didn't have numerous DUI's and lose my job / marriage / home due to drinking. I sure drank enough and took enough risks for all that to happen. So I'm starting to think I am a "lucky alcoholic" rather than a "high functioning alcoholic." I certainly wasn't functioning anywhere near my capabilities in the end. Or really in the middle either. Now I have the opportunity to be a high as possible functioning sober person and that is what matters in the end!

I went to the early meeting today before my business stuff and Step Coach showed up! Just yesterday his wife told me he wasn't able to get out to meetings as his oxygen tank doesn't last long enough. But there he was anyway. I hope he left in time to make it home on what he had left! He is an amazing person in his commitment to AA and to helping others in order to help himself. What an example he sets.

I went to a meeting later this morning - my first time at that one. A women's 12 step study. A big group too and VERY diverse. Executives to tattoos and everything in between. I'm realizing just how uncomfortable I am in women only groups. I'm grateful to be recognizing this problem and also grateful for the willingness to face it and start to figure it out. I'm sure it boils down to trust and other baggage from the past. I'll work through it.

There was a newcomer at the second meeting. She is 62. So we took group conscience and did "first step" so everyone shared a bit of their story. That was nice for me too since it was my first time in that group. The newcomer started off by introducing herself and saying "I have a desire to stop drinking." She spoke up after a number of women spoke and said "I'm an alcoholic." She said she has struggled with that in her heart for a long time. I suppose she walked through the doors because deep down she was ready to face it, but scared. No reason to do that alone!

The fact that I was uncomfortable in that meeting (all women) tells me that I need to keep going back to that one. (at this stage in my program - I know I need to)

Will be reviewing Step 1 with sponsee #2 tomororw. She's been to 45 meetings in what will be 30 days on Tuesday. She's got more friends in AA than I do already! Our sponsees help keep us sober and I can already see that she is lighting a fire under my butt.

Well, lunch break is over - time to get back to work. Hope you all are having a wonderful day.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi DG. It's almost midnight in the UK. I went to an AA meeting which was excellent. Now that I have stopped drinking I feel as though I am understanding more what AA is about. The obsession with stopping is now done and I just need to look after it ( will power/inner strength/higher power)
      I now relate more to the struggles that old timers go through without the support of a drug. I am finding my new life exhilarating and odd at the same time.
      AA is not just about this desire to stop drinking.It shows you ways to deal with the ups and downs of life without masking it with drugs. It's immensely spiritual. I am really starting to understand the program.
      Just babbling a bit before heading to dreamland. Night all. x
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Hi Rebirth! Like anything else in life, I think it's pretty impossible to "get" AA if we're not even accepting that we belong there. I like what I'm learning mainly because it WORKS to help me feel more content and able to deal with the regular ups and downs of my life. It also is helping me deal more effectively with other people. Mainly it's helping me not try to control all sorts of things that are NOT within my control. Right there the program has helped me eliminate a boat load of frustration from my life. (all stuff I used to love to drink over!)

Hope you get a good night sleep! Are you all ready for your son's b-day on Sunday? (from another thread!)

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hello everyone. The Big Book meeting I go to on Saturday was good today. Last week they finished reading and discussing the very last story in the Big Book, so today we started again with Chapter 1. (Bill W's Story) I have been re-reading chapter one this week anyway as that was the assigned reading for sponsee 2 this week.

For me, I think of chapter one like hearing Bill W tell his story, and looking for the similarities as I would with any other speaker. Just that he was really the 1st AA speaker along with Dr. Bob. Even though his drinking career started in the early part of last century, it's amazing how the "skinkin' thinkin'" hasn't changed. I share that tendency towards grandiose thinking that Bill did. I can also relate to how the problems created by drinking got progressively worse for him over time. I also understand better today than last year how just KNOWING that "not drinking" is the answer, this addiction defies logic and we can and do drink anyway.

The tools of this program are essential for me to use to keep my mind and heart and soul in the right place.

* go to meetings
          * reach out to other people and HP (pick up that phone!)
          * serenity prayer
          * gratitude list
          * HELP ANOTHER ALCOHOLIC

It's not the 4th drink or the 10th drink or the 3rd drink I have to worry about. Only the first one.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi everyone!

Went to a great women's meeting this morning.. very powerful, DG its interesting that the women meetings are uncomfortable for you??? Its great that we have the clarity to know that and work through it.

I love the woman groups. probably because I feel like I can relate alittle more to their stories and especially talking about struggles related to our husband and children. Today we talked about humility they are working on Step 7 and I am on step 3 at this point and just got a sponsor yesterday yay!!
            but for me right now the humility was in saying for the first time out loud " I'm an Alcoholic." to a group of strangers. That cemented it for me and knew there was spirit in helping me!

Have a great day everyone!

Cher

6/19/2010 AF
            May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Cher congrats on getting a sponsor! I hope you enjoy working with her. I adore mine more than I ever thought I would or could.

My issues with groups of only women are rooted way way back in my life. Some things in my upbringing worked out in such a way that I was never really part of "girlfriend groups" when I was little or in middle school or in high school. I also don't have sisters. In my adult life I've always had a few female friends but often those were "drinking buddy" relationships. One on one I'm fine. mixed groups I'm fine. But I have some trust issues etc. with groups of women. I didn't even realize that until confronting it through AA. It's a good opportunity to work through it on common ground.

Humility is an interesting topic. I always used to confuse that with humiliation. Not the same thing at all. I'm not bothered to say I'm alcoholic. It's just a fact of my life and I have (IMO) become a better and stronger person since finally accepting that I AM alcoholic and taking steps to live a more productive life despite my alcoholism. Step Coach always gives his full last name when introducing himself as an alcoholic. He follows that with "I don't care who knows it as long as I don't forget it."

Have a great rest of the day!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Great posts this week. I hit 7 months AF this week doing it one day at a time. Wow, my sobriety dates are tracking with months of the year, gee, I should be able to keep track of that.
                I did my 630 am meeting and then went to a BB study at 9 am. What a great way to spend a Saturday morning. A year I ago I would have been watching the clock until noon so I could open that first beer.
                Have a great weekend y'all.
                Love and Peace,
                Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

cpn1004;908142 wrote: Great posts this week. I hit 7 months AF this week doing it one day at a time. Wow, my sobriety dates are tracking with months of the year, gee, I should be able to keep track of that.
                  I did my 630 am meeting and then went to a BB study at 9 am. What a great way to spend a Saturday morning. A year I ago I would have been watching the clock until noon so I could open that first beer.
                  Have a great weekend y'all.

Why did you wait until noon?????

Sounds like a good morning to me too. Just had dinner with Mr. D who reaffirms his happiness that I go to AA. (because he likes me better as a result!)

I'm really getting interested in studying the BB on a deeper level, and also learning more of AA's history. Am already looking at dates and possibilities for founders day next year in Aakron. Would you ever consider making that trip Phil?

Mean time....

:yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS ON 7 MONTHS SOBER!!!:yougo::yougo:

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Congratulations, Phil. Well done on your 7 months!

Winefree

Comment

Good Morning everyone! Probably afternoon for alot, but I'm off for a hike with my pooches! I used to want to hurry back for happy hour but NO MORE, but I'll probably hurry back for a 6pm AA meeting I'm looking forward too!
                      May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Have a wonderful hike Cher. How many pooches? What kind? Enjoy!!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG
                          I wasnt sure if we were carrying on with this thread as it's a new week? I may be wrong?
                          Be strong-
                          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                          Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

rebirth;909686 wrote: DG
                            I wasnt sure if we were carrying on with this thread as it's a new week? I may be wrong?
                            If you're the first one on, feel free to start a new weekly AA thread.
                            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Now that I can admit that I'm an alcoholic & am powerless over alcohol, my whole view of life has changed. My insides match my outsides. I'm not pretending anymore. That was so destructive! Thank you for the reminder.
                              I know I am late on this thread, but what Mary said above is so pertinent.

Do not pretend anymore. Those of us who cannot drink, just can't. It is that simple.

It is truly that simple.

My view of life has changed, too.

I cannot drink.

It is that simple. It is diffiucult, but simple.

Thank you all for being here.

Mary, I hope things are going well for your girl. I am thinking of you. A lot.

Love,
                              Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X