AF-DAILY Monday 15th of August 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning FFFAbstinencias and FFFFabineros. I am still north of Great Slave Lake, south of Beaufort Sea, but I am about to hop on a plane for the south with two big boxes of lichens. I hope everyone has a great day. I am celebrating (as of yesterday) one HALF YEAR of sobriety. I feel terrific! A leetle tired this morning, but terrific. One thing is for sure....
    Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Good morning Abbers!

Kaslo, exactly how much do lichens weigh? :H
    Hope you have a wonderful AF day & keep up the great work

I'm a bit sleep deprived myself due to my aging dogs! One wakes me up for an emergency trip outside after midnight then the other wakes me up at 5 am I just try to keep reminding myself that I'm not getting any younger either :H

More rain on the way today, ho hum!
    I have lots of work going on this week so hopefully I'll just be too busy to notice

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Monday!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Fabbies!!

Wow it's so nice outside! Wonder if I can squeeze in a river walk before carpet guy comes over. BTW, a GF and I are doing bathroom 2 which is mostly painting and such so that should be painless.

Visited with GF at her neighborhood pool yesterday for 2 hours. It was good to have that length of uninterupted time to visit. I had water and a lemonade. She had 4 or 5 beers. Don't know what her norm is these days (has had the ptoential to be problematic in the past), but she's carrying that AL weight around the middle even though she's an avid tennis player.

Kaz, congrats on 7 months!!

Only been gettting about 6 hours sleep lately - more than lately- and I'm feeling it. Especially today. It just isn't enough. Gotta figure out how to change that and quitting the afternoon coffe would be a good start, doncha think?

A chopra 21 day meditataion thing starts today. Check out my post in what we believe if you're interested.

Zoom!
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hey Det-my sleep quanity depends on the dogs LOL!! Also, sometimes I just can't fall asleep before 12 or 1 even with sleep aids. however last nite I feel asleep around 10:30 and I believe I slept straight through till the alarm. BUT, I did the snooze thing until 7am. I felt very drugged and sleepy and just couldn't get up. I've tried putting the clock (or in this case my phone) in the kitchen but I still hit the snooze and fall back in bed. I take Mirapax for RLS and either a benedryl or Ambien because I just can't fall asleep without them. I'm sure that's why I can't wake up in the morning before 7. I've tried going without but by 3 or 4 I give in. What isn't happening anymore is waking up at 3 or 4 and not being able to get back to sleep. Thank God!! I'm sure Robb Wolfe would be horrified at my sleeping habits. I am too. I'm planning on starting the Paleo way of life next week (actually this week-I get paid on Friday and will go shopping on Sat. First stop-new Farmer's Market in the next town). I'm really hoping cutting carbs from flour food and giving up my beloved Diet Coke at lunch will have the effect on my isulin they promise it will have and that my sleep quality will vastly improve. Obviously a huge part of the Paleo lifestyle is exercise so I've made peace with fitting in some circut training twice a week at PF. My biggest fear is the cooking part and feeling faint from lack of bread/flour. Anyway, i've hijacked this thread long enough!!

Greenie-how did it feel to sit there and watch your friend down 5 beers? I think I would have been very uncomfortable-not because I couldn't join in but I would be very concerned for her. I'm sure you are too. Hope you got your river walk in and good luck with painting BR #2.

Lav-My Mickey will get me up every once in a while around midnite to be let out. Guinness will do it too. No rhyme or reason although I think if I let them out for the last time before 10pm there might be a correlation. Both Mick and Guinness are 9 now so I'm expecting more of that type of thing. Sigh. I suppose I could put diapers on them :H. Yuck. It's what we do for our precious pets.

Off to a good pace this morning but then got stalled. Must get back to work. Safe travels Kas!!
        New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Afternoon report from Lav's Home for Aging Dogs:H :H

Got a break in the rain action just now so the dogs are outside (yay), the chickens are spreading a half a bale of straw around their muddy yard & I'm on break :H

No dog diapers here papmom - none!!!!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Yo Abbers!

I'm tired too and I have been sleeping well but I think I need to start eating more regularly. I just seem so tired during the day and I know it's lack of nutrution.

Back at the trailer with my daughter for a couple of days, then back home for a couple of days and then back out again. Summers almost over, can't believe it. I just went through some of my stuff from treatment and journalled and got some things out to do so when my daughter goes back to school I'll be organized. I am looking forward to having plans so I am prepared once the child is in school and hubby is at work. I'm thankful that this time around I know what to expect so I can be prepared.

That's it for now, going to go read for a bit before I have to make supper!
            Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
            :h

Comment

Hidy Ho ABenators near and far!

sleep? whew, i slept 9 hours last night and woke up feeling excellent wooooo!

Papmom I'm so proud of you for giving the paleo lifestyle a go. I guarantee you'll feel like a different person after 30 days. the first two weeks will be rough as your body gets used to shedding the simple carbs from bread and other refined grain products. I also firmly believe from my own experience that diet soda is addictive. Robb also notes that folks that are doing everything right diet-wise and still not losing weight is usually due to the diet soda causing some metabolic issues regarding hormone signalling.

Kas, I see you've taken a lichen to some far away places (har dee har). be safe dear, and HUGE kudos on 1/2 year AF. Wooooo Doggy!

ok, back to work

hugs to Lavande, Greeneys, Uni and all to come
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hello fABbies! Quick zoom zoom post. Several nights ago, I started covering up every little lighted thing in our bedroom - the digital display on the clock, the "on" green light on an electric air freshener thingy, the digital display on the Tivo, etc. I could not BELIEVE how much darker it made the room. I am also trying really hard not to snack at all after dinner. I have to say I am waking up less in the night. It was getting really bad before. If progress continues, blackout shades might be in our future.

P3, enjoy stocking up your fridge at the farmers market! I was just out in my garden today picking tomatoes, which are not doing terribly well this year. Hoping to maybe get a few canned even though I really don't want to actually do the canning. I'm thinking it is much nicer to go to the farmers market for everything rather than be a slave to the garden+CSA. That's the "lazy" in me coming out!!

Lav, I hear ya on the old dogs. While Buck was still alive he contributed to extra wake ups, that's for sure. :upset:

Greenie, I your story with your friend and the 5 beers reminds me a bit of dog training. There is a national event in early November in Kansas City. Trainer's new GF is trying to organize a group to go. Lots of heavy drinking at those events by this particular group (and I of course used to be a big part of that!). I would be OK going or not going. That is progress. There was a time when NO WAY would I have wanted to go. I guess I'm getting more comfortable with myself, my boundaries, etc. these days. I hope new GF knows what she is getting herself into. Actually, I think she does. I see the "fixer" / enabler/co-dependent coming out. There is no longer an issue with him drinking at training and driving home. (or joking about his daughter being DD) She is driving now. :H Week before last, Mr. Doggy told me that trainer was doing "a lot better." "He's not drinking until after training is over." Well, that must have lasted one week. I went out to say hi shortly after everyone arrived and that was not a Coke in the coozie. I just smile and am happy that none of this is my business. And I AM glad she is driving these days. His drinking and driving is not my responsibility, but I sure feel better knowing he's not going to get into an accident since he's not behind the wheel.

Anyway...

One thing is for sure....

DG

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Determinator;1163909 wrote:
                  Kas, I see you've taken a lichen to some far away places (har dee har). be safe dear, and HUGE kudos on 1/2 year AF. Wooooo Doggy!
                  That is hysterical Det!! Very punny indeed! Yep, I just listened to Robbs Podcast #79 I think with Gary Tauber and the Diet Soda definitely came up. Oh my that is going to be very very hard!! I'm game tho. I just know that this sugar addiction is holding me back in almost every aspect of my life and I think this is the only way I can break it. Will you be my mentor if you have time? .

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

whoops-missed ya DG! I'm thinking seriously of black out shades too-it might help keep DD running to the window in the middle of the night barking his fool head off because some urban critter is 2 yards over!! One thing i can't do anymore tho is turn on the AC(that kept DD from using his big rabbit ears to hear the critters)-my elec bill just came in and its DOUBLE what it was last month!! YIKES!! Anyway, I've been trying to unplugg those pesky LED lights which are all over the place!! I do have a night mask - didn't like it last time I used it but might try again. One thing I did differently last nite is I didn't have anything to eat at least 1 hour before bedtime if not more. I think that helped a bit.

Wow-I bet trainer buddy's GF is going to be in for some unpleasant surprises down the road as his drinking gets worse and worse. And we all know it will don't we? Good thing you realize it's not your problem (as long as he's not driving and/or Mr. Doggie isn't supplying the booze in case he decides not to hand over the keys one day).

Funny we should mention drinking and driving. On the way down the boat my dad was riding my sis hard on her driving. Now granted, she's not the best driver in the world but she was doing OK. I wasn't nervous in the least and I was in the back seat. Anyway, I rose to her defense and he said something like "I'm just trying to prevent her from doing something stupid resulting in a ticket." So before I knew it, flying out of my mouth were these words: "You want to talk about stupid? How about you getting behind the wheel after having 4 or 5 glasses of wine?" Dead silence and then a very quick subject change :H. Wonder if he'll remember that next we get together at Sis's house for dinner???

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Damn papmom ~ I'll never let you sit in my backseat :H :H

I forgot when the guys installed the new security system the keypad on the wall inmy room is lit up again - annoying as hell at night. I'm going to put a sock on it before I go to bed tonight :H

Hi Dg, Deter, Uni
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey Lav-he was the one doing the backseat driving from the front seat!! :H
                        Hmmm, what color sock to put over the alarm pad?

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Carpet is installed. Stuff moved back into room. THAT bathroom is finished (after I seal the threshold tomorrow). Wow. And to think it only took 15 months! :H Time for a big glass of seltzer, cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime for my reward!

Lav, I'm like that too. I keep a bandana over the clock display.
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

:yay: CONGRATS ON THE FINISHING THE BATHROOM :yay:

I didn't plan to but I ended up taking a short nap after dinner. Guess I was more tired than I thought

I'm going to give my dogs sleeping pills tonight - JK :H
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey Dudes ?

Hope everyone had an awesome day!

Just want to start with fair warning. This may be a somewhat boring post. The subject is my trip to the head doctor today and some things I learned. If that makes you want to hurl then you may want to skip this one?.. However, I have not been feeling really great about myself so I thought if anyone else was going through this, they may be able to learn from my experience.

A little summary about me:

- I went 6 month AF and then thought I could moderate
                              - Moderation was an epic failure
                              - I?m on day 27 AF after getting back on the wagon
                              - When I quit, I didn?t have any physical withdrawal. I quit cold turkey
                              - Lately I have had no feelings good or bad ? a little anxiety but that is about it. Mostly numb.
                              - I have had no motivation to do anything
                              - I haven?t wanted to be social.
                              - I have been on Lexapro 20mg for a couple of years (an SSRI antidepressant)

So lessons learned today:

- I?m not weird or flipping out. Turns out that the feelings I am having is very common at this stage in AL recovery
                              - Different people respond in different ways. It could be that I may bounce out of these feelings at any time or it could linger for several months. He noted that he has many patients in AL recovery at one stage or the other and they all eventually even out.
                              - A contributing factor could be the Lexapro. Alcohol, being a depressant in itself may be working against the Lexapro. Lexapro balanced the depression brought on by AL. Now that I no longer have AL in my system, I could have a much higher dosage of Lexapro than needed. Therefore, he cut my dosage in half ? 10mg per day. If I am doing ok after two weeks, I should go to 10mg every other day. It is likely that I could totally eliminate this med altogether.
                              - My blood pressure has been up for a long time. It is likely that I could reduce or even eliminate the BP med as well after some period of time.
                              - Of course, as we talk about here ? I should continue to stay away from triggers.
                              - Pushing myself into a new and totally different hobby could help. I am thinking of getting into Radio Controlled helicopters. I?ve always wanted to do that.
                              - I continue to use Antibuse. I think for my situation it is a great tool. It really takes the question of drinking off the table. As an example, I had a really stressful work day last Friday. I?m talking making decisions that could have gone plus or minus hundreds of thousands of dollars. In the end, I was successful but I was mentally a basket case. I could have easily ?rewarded? myself with a one night fling. However, the AB totally took that opportunity away ? so it was not even a passing thought.
                              - He states that contrary to some of the negative stuff out there, he has many patients that have been on AB for years with no adverse side effects.

So, all in all, many of the lessons learned today have already been discussed on MWO. However, at least in my case, I think that it is important that I partner with an MD that can monitor me as well? both physical and mental health to make sure I stay on the right track. This is just yet another tool in my tool box and I will certainly take whatever tools it is to get back to a normal life. It?s also strange but I always have a euphoric feeling when I see this particular doc.

Guys, I am really determined to beat this awful addiction that has wasted 12+ years of my life.

Ok, headed to bed now with an awesome book.

Have a great night!
                              IJM

Comment

Working...
                              X