Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Aug. 15 - 21

Hi Everyone:

I've been going through a hard time lately. It's my own thoughts & feelings that I'm dealing with. When I was drinking, this would have been a day I would have opened up a bottle early on, & I would have drunk from it continually during the day. Today I know I can:
    -talk it out.
    -go to a meeting later.
    -read some AA literature.
    -etc.

I can't expect to feel on top of the world all the time just because I'm sober. Yes, drinking was a key component to my misery. However, sometimes bad moods, conflict, change, stress, etc. happens. Today I have the tools to deal w/it. I also know that "this too shall pass."

I hope all is well w/everyone.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Weather nice and been busy! :-)

Hi All,
    Congratulations Dnacelot on 2years Af well done ! x

Mary sorry your going through a hard time at the moment :l

Its so good to share our thoughts and feelings with others, i know if i dont i start to isolate and feel lonely and not part of anymore, which i did feel a bit like this last thursday at a meeting. i went to it just come over me i felt a big distances from everyone in the room and did not feel part of i was only there for 20mins and i had to go i just had to leave. I never felt like that before in that way i did not like it at all the way it was making me feel. I hear people share they not had a good week and can not share and hav to leave early at meegs. I use to think to myself am sure they can stay to the end but now i know our that feeling really feels inside. I had to share how i felt at my home meeting and got it all out, I think someone at that meeting shared something ( on the thusday night) that i did not like to hear and it sparked of something inside me about my past childhood.

Anyway i like to share with you that i meet kimberley last friday at lunch time we really had a lovely time together chatting away. Its amazing how you can connect with someone you dont know and can relate to everything they say. She is such a lovely person, and am so glad that i got to meet her face to face.
    p.s wish i could get to meet you all.x

Much love 2u all.x
    Formerly known as Teardrop:l
    sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
    my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Greetings all. Yeah, being sober doesn't mean we will be happy all the time. Two years ago if I felt bad, I drank more, thinking that would help. Sure, great idea. Mary's suggestions are a better way to deal with my "ups and downs". I make about 5 meetings a week and that keeps me steady. I talk or email with another alcoholic each day.
      That just hit me "email". I've been reading "Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers". Man, they had in rough in the beginning of this great program. Today I can text and email a friend in the program. What a gift.
      Hope y'all have a great week.
      Love and Peace,
      Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Phil: I called my sponsor yesterday for a talk about what was bothering me. Later on we met at a meeting. Those 2 things changed my whole day! I also had a talk w/my husband, & we ironed a few things out. I would never have done that 3 years ago. I would have drunk myself into a coma.

Catch, how wonderful you got to meet Kimberly! That must have been a real trip. This forum has been such a lifesaver for me. When I can't meet up w/someone face-to-face, I can always come here.

Have a great day one & all.

Mary
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary and Phil, you are both just reminding me what is great on a tactical, day to day basis about AA membership. I too have nearly 24X7 access to people when I need help with anything in my life. I don't have to be on the edge of my chair cradling a bottle on the verge of drinking. If I'm having a rotten day, I can call someone. I can text. I can go to a meeting. It sure beats sitting alone in fear - trying to drink things away that cannot be drunk away. Mary, I'm glad you used the tools and were able to work things out!

Catch - how cool that you got to meet Kimberly!!! Reminds me of meeting Phil last summer which was awesome!!

So who is thinking about going to Turks & Caicos?????

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: We're going to Italy to visit family in Nov. When is the sober vaca & please put in the link again. I'd love to meet you...if not there, then somewhere, sometime.

BTW: I love your beagle. I grew up w/one, & then we had one when our own kids were little. They're great dogs...not geniuses...but great, gentle, loving dogs. I just hope our little Lulu is up in doggie heaven eating all the biscuits & hot dogs she wants.
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi All,

The wonderful thing about AA is meeting people and linking up with people that you are meant to link up with, to help other people outside of AA.
              Here a little story i like to tell you all, There's a guy in AA who was very ill last year and thought he was going to die. I did not know him that well but did talk to him now and again,( i remember giving his friend a get well card to give him) used to go to big book studies. Anyway after beening in hosptial for 8months it was really good to see him again looking well also always love to hear him share. His been out of hospital for 6months now.

Just over a weeks ago my friend son got ill with a flesh eating bacterica, where it eats away at the tissue's and muscles, he has the bactrica in his leg. He was in surgery where they had to cut away at the tissue and cut out most of his muscles in the upper leg and hip and bum. Its called Necrotizing, they have had three people this year who they have treated with it at the same hosptial..... Talked to to guy at AA last night who was ill so happens that he had the same thing, he said he would love to help out and talk to his parents about it and would visited there son in hospital to give him some hope to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel for him. Am so glad that i was there to be able to link my friend up with this guy who can relate to her son in what his going through at each stage and give her some strenght, hope and comfort.
              Today i feel like part of my purpose in life could of just been linking those two people up together ! Now that is a gift :h

Catch22.xXx
              Formerly known as Teardrop:l
              sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
              my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Mary, I like having Buck's picture in my avatar as it helps me remember how he was in his best years instead of how sick he was in the end. It affirms for me that we really did make the right decision to relieve him from his misery. He hadn't looked or acted like the pic in my avatar for a long time. LOL... "not geniuses..." Now there is an understatement! You are so right about the simple and loving part.

Sober Vacations International - Club Med Turks and Caicos. They have reserved the entire resort!!! My husband and I have not taken a really nice tropical vacation in probably 10 years. We are very excited! Sober Vacations International - since 1987

Catch, I love that story of how you were able to link up your friend. :l:h:l Just imagine - if you were still isolated and drinking, you wouldn't have been there for that. Sobriety is truly a gift to ourselves and others.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hey all,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it Mary - but it's so lovely these days to have a choice about how to deal with things rather than hitting the default drink mode. I'm so glad you felt better meeting with your sponsor. Yeah and talking to the other half - I would either get drunk and scream about whatever was bothering me or say nothing and withdraw, getting angrier and angrier until I drank. I'm so glad I don't do that anymore. Proper communication is sooo much better!

It was absolutely lovely to meet up with Catch22 as well. Such a sweet person - and she even helped me out with thinking about my Step 3. It is great how there isn't that weird awkwardness as much when you start talking to other AAers. We had never met before but within a few minutes it was like we could talk about anything. I think us alkies are very lucky to be able to have that sort of connection. There aren't many nice things about being an alkie, but that's one big bonus.

I have been having a great couple of weeks, starting new stuff, studying, meeting new people, working on myself, planning starting my own business. It's amazing how my life has just changed immeasurably. I am feeling really really excited and happy right now. And AA-sober this time is sooo much better than when I was sober without AA. I was telling Catch22, when I look back at my posts on MWo when I first went sober without AA in May 2008, they are full of sadness, desperation, fear etc. It's so different with AA and I am very very grateful for that.

I finally feel like I am becoming the person I was always meant to be. Woooohoooo!

Thanks to all of you on here, and all my local AA buddies for keeping me sober and grateful to be sober. I would never have had the chance to feel like this without all of you :l
                  K x
                  Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kimberly, I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU with all these fabulous changes going on!!! It is such a joy to watch you blossom into your new sober self. :l:h

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Kimberly: What an incredibly uplifting post! At most of our meetings, we read the promises of the program. They're listed right after step 9 in the BB. I really think you've fulfilled many of those promises...as we all have. It's amazing how life-changing sobriety can be.

Last night's speaker meeting was very worthwhile. A young woman spoke...from her heart. I was very happy to be there.

Take care everyone.

Mary
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, I haven't been to a speaker meeting in a while. I really love them. What a good reminder to get to one soon!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

We have many around here. I go to at least one per week. Yes, they are an excellent reminder of where we've been. Also, I can see visible relief & recognition on the faces of newcomers.

That said: There have been times when the speakers haven't been chosen carefully enough. I just heard 2 women w/very little sobriety speak. Additionally, they added commentary on a social issue to their talks which goes against trad. 6. I'm sure the committee will say something to the chairperson who chose those 2 particular speakers. And by the way, I don't have anything against the issue they were espousing. It's just that an AA meeting isn't the place to air it.

All in all though, those experiences are few & far between. Most speakers are excellent & provide a real service to the rest of us in reminding us that we're all in the same boat regardless of how different our experiences might seem.
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                          X