Weekly AA Thread August 22-28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone! I didn't see an AA thread for this week, so I'm starting one.

Mary, I hope everything is going better for you. I'm learning to utilize more of my AA tools - such as calling my sponsor when I am having a crisis, instead of a day or a week later. Getting over asking for help (not something that comes real naturally to me) is a big, big step. Then following her advice.... I have a bit of a resistant streak or stubbornness or something. Or just a plain "I don't want to!" I'll put it off, but find when I get around to it, I feel a lot better, and whatever I feared or whatever usually isn't anywhere near as unpleasant as I think. I've still got the old alcoholic mind that can go to some really warped places if I let it. Retraining from my old way of doing things is definitely work.

Catch and Kimberly - that's great you two got to meet up! One thing I do love about AAs is it really is like old friends, even when you first meet. Something that is incredibly rare in the "real world" - or that's been my experience. It's great to see how your programs are helping out in your real lives!

Catch, that is so cool you could hook up your friend with your other friend's son! It's such a difference to meaningfully participate in the world vs just watch from the sidelines. Sometimes in big ways, and sometimes small, but making a positive difference to somebody.

Kimberly, I agree about the desperation factor when we are getting sober without AA. I didn't always feel desperate, but that I had to just be oh-so-tough. Eventually that wore me down. I could only fight for so long. It sure felt good when I could finally learn to "let it go." I credit AA for that.

I went to a speaker meeting tonight and out for coffee with 3 others, plus a totally new guy. I love being able to get to know others on such a different level. I like being able to talk honestly to men - something I realized I know very little about. Before I could only relate to them as either buddies to kid around with, or potential boyfriends (?) which made me really put up my guard and be pretty fake when I think about it. No wonder I had relationship problems.

I haven't been able to get to too many meetings because of my work schedule - well honestly I guess I could get up and out of the house a little earlier most days! Anyway, the point is, I do treasure my AA time and the meetings I do get to. I'm scheduled to work on birthday night, unless I can find someone who wants to switch Saturday for Sunday. My sponsor told me to contact the member in charge of it, and tell her to get me a chip, and to call my sober sister and ask her to introduce me. She said to put it in motion "as if." Hmmm... we'll see. I'm half done - I still have to contact my sober sister ("Mom" said so...). So hopefully that will work out.

DG, that's cool about the classes you are taking! I need to check back on the old threads - I've read bits and pieces. Did you happen to hear the NPR show "Fresh Air" (June 23) where she interviewed this guy talking about the brain and pleasure and addiction?

'The Compass Of Pleasure': Why Some Things Feel So Good : NPR

I was going to post that back when I heard it, but haven't come on here much, but hearing you're studying that field reminded me!

Hi to Phil too, and anybody else that drops in here I don't know about! Coming back here really makes me miss you guys, and it's also a reminder I can do something else "AA" when I can't get to a lot of meetings (the 24/7 one we got right here!).

Much, much love to you all, and I hope everyone has a wonderful week! :h
    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

I just wanted to check in. My son & his kids are staying here for a little over a week. A lot of commotion & activity. I'll check back next week. I'm sober & enjoying the week w/the fam. M
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Glad to hear that Mary!:l
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Hi all! Dance, thanks for getting us started. I really enjoy hearing about your journey and the ways that you are learning and growing from your experience. This is all about SO much more than just "not drinking" isn't it? Thank you for the link! I'm going to que that up for later listening. Sounds very relevant to my studies right now!

Mary, so glad you are having a good (if hectic!) family week. I assume Patty is back to school for the fall semester now? I hope she continues to do well.

I am chairing an early meeting tomorrow before I head to class. I will be speaking at an open meeting October 8. So AA life is busy too, which I love.

Hello to Catch and Phil and Kimberly and everyone else who is lurking or whatever! Come on out to post!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          Thank for starting of the weekly thread Dancelot it good to read through your post, and see how well your doing.x
          Mary,, looks like you got your hands busy this week
          DG,,, Thanks to AA it keeping me busy in my recovery and it just what i need !

Come back from my christian group today had a 2weeks break from there it was so goood to see a friend of mine getting better, feel really bad about the things i said, they are really trying there harders to help my friend, so happy that his been tested AL and drugs free and is looking soo much better in himself. His still homeless but is getting a lot of support around him. If you really really want this it can happen....

Am going on holiday soon and have a lot of fear around it. It will be my first holiday away sober. I have got a lists of AA meetings where am going so if i feel i need a meeting or feeling a bit off balance in anyway i know where to get my arse in gear....

Take care ALL and keep safe.:h
          Formerly known as Teardrop:l
          sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
          my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Hi Catch! I'm glad to read that your friend is getting some good support right now. I'm sure that is a blessing for both him and those helping him. :h

I hope you have a good time on holiday! I'm glad you have your meeting schedule to take along. I think it would be fun to pop into meetings in new places. You can do it sober. You don't drink any more. You will probably be amazed at how much nicer it is this way!

AA meeting was very emotional this morning. A few people are going through some very difficult life situations right now. One guy who is probably 5 - 10 years younger than me just found out yesterday that his wife has something very seriously wrong - she will be losing a kidney for sure and whatever else is going on, it's very serious. She is so young - it's very sad and frightening. He talked about how grateful he is to be sober and there for her instead of drowning his fears in a bar someplace and leaving her all alone to deal with hers that's what he said he would have done in the "old days" and boy could I relate.

Life happens. EVERYONE has good things and bad things happen in life. Sometimes it feels unfair. For every time I think my life is unfair or sad, everyone else has moments of that too. I am not unique with my problems. Other people get through their problems sober and so can I. When I think back to my pity party excuses to drink over anything that went wrong, I am just grateful I'm not living in that self centered, immature world any more. That doesn't mean I handle everything perfectly. I just try not to make everything in life an excuse for me to get drunk any more.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi all,

Hectic week so I'm just poppin by quickly to say I hope everyone's having a lovely week. I'm really ood and thanks to all the input from you guys and talking to other AAers I finally think I' ready to do step 3 in a way that makes sense to me. So I'm meeting my sponsor next week. Will check in again soon!

Big hugs to you all!

K x
              Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Hi Kimberly! Very happy for you always for your continued forward progress. I know these things tend to be very personal so if you don't feel like posting more that's OK. But if you do feel up to sharing, I would be very interested in hearing more about how you have decided to approach Step 3.

I have really enjoyed the first week of Addiction Studies classes. What really amazes me is how much of the basic AA tactics for staying sober (i.e. "change people, places and things") are now supported by science. So much is still unknown, in this example, brain scans clearly show the benefit of making these changes if one is trying to stop drinking/using. People just figured out it worked without having to know why.

The fellowship is amazing. One of our local fellows is battling a rare and deadly illness. He has two young children who one day will be left behind. One if this guys sponsees has organized a huge benefit to help set aside money for his kids. (all set up through proper channels). He contacted so many people who have donated items for silent auction - there is a Sheryl Crow signed guitar, a John Travolta signed Directors Chair, a boat, autographed sports stuff, an amazing line up. There will be a comedy show including comedians who perform at Chicago's Second City. He is expecting about 300 people to show up. This takes "one alcoholic helping another" to a whole new level. Several of us from home group are going to help sell raffle tickets, help with the silent auction, etc. Amazing.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG I have noticed as well that some of the AA stuff compliments certain types of therapy as well. Dialectical Behavioural Therapy aligns very well with the serenity prayer.

This is kind of how I'm doing step 3. I'm not meeting my sponsor until Friday so I'll let you know exactly what happens but I'll tell you my idea of it. It was kind of confirmed by the way someone phrased the step to me: 'Do you believe in a higher power than yourself and have you decided to rely on it?"

When it come to a higher power to deal with alcohol my HP is AA but for the rest of the stuff I kind of framed it around my personality disorder.

Because of my personality disorder by rights I should be throwing things when I'm angry, cutting myself, acting out with food and drinking for sure. I should be sitting in a pit of misery and proclaiming how crap and unfair life is. That was my DEFAULT behaviour so I will call this my WILL.

But I am not doing those things anymore - instead I am doing what is effective and I am doing the RIGHT THING. My HP in this case is the sense of consciousness and awareness around my behaviour and reactions that tells me when I'm about to act out and helps me to correct my behaviour.

Although I am the one who corrects my behaviour, something (HP) is showing me where I'm going wrong and allowin me to choose how to act. Since my default is to act out, I guess I can say there has to be something working with me or through me to show me the way. And I'm very happy to rely on that!

Does that make sense? It does to me -I think! Wonder what my sponsor will make of it.

K x
                  Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kimberly, I love it! And thanks for taking the time to share it. Higher Power is a difficult issue for so many of us in recovery. I had no idea going in how "open" the higher power concept really is within AA. I always thought "yeah right - my grandma's religion is right under the next rock!" It really doesn't have to be that way.

I love hearing about all of the many ways people go about it. It helps me! I think you are spot on. I love your view of your will vs. that special something that guides us to the next right thing.

Can't wait to hear how it goes with your sponsor! You are doing great!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Just wanted to say kimberley that does make a lot of sense to me !

Catch22 x
                      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Working...
                      X