• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Jan. 17

Hi All~

Congrats on another AF day to all.

day 27.
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Wednesday Jan. 17

Yes Becca,
      I was 5 errrrrrr 17. It has been a trip!!

I'm livin proof that you can make it!

:h Nancy
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Wednesday Jan. 17

Hey all,

Today is Day 17 for me (that is if today is the 17th?). Yes, I guess it is. DUH, time to take duh stupamax. I am only on 25 mg - this cannot be the topa!!

It is late and my memory fails, so I will welcome the newerbies to the abs board ... welcome back andy (and I am still wondering if you are the 1111th andy) and way to go newgrl (I also blow fuse with space heater in my office - every *&^% time!!!), Cashy (cha ching), and Becca (you are doing great, BRRRRR). Kathy - every once in a while I swear I can TASTE the cigarettes I used to smoke, even though I have not smoked in about 8 or 9 years. Very strange.

Today in chat someone asked me one thing that was really important when trying to do abs. For me, the most important thing was getting right back on after I had slipped. When I first started, I could not go even 2 days in a row. Eventually, I made it to 2 days ... then gradually began stringing days together. Like many of us, each time I could not do a day my thoughts whirled about what a loser I was, how pathetic my life was, anything that would make me feel rotten about myself (I needed to be punished you see). Often, this repetitive cycle of bashing would result in such a dissolute state that I would reach the conclusion that a natural outcome was to drink because I KNEW that I couldn't do "it" - it being perfection abs - put down the bottle and never drink again.

Once I realized that most attempts at breaking a habit such a this are peppered with slips, I decided to concentrate on the positive aspects of what I was attempting to do. Of course, slips left me with banging headaches - but after the realization that for most, slips do happen and that one needs to be ever vigilant - those banging headaches seemed punishment enough. When I looked at my AF (alcohol free) days they were turning into double-digit numbers. In comparison to what I had been doing to myself, this state of affairs was a huge win. I had more AF days than drinking days - a REAL turning point - that had not happened in a decade at least.

So, to any of the newerbies who are embarking on this - if you should slip, of course try to pinpoint possible triggers - but do not allow yourself to get bogged down with the self punishment. It does NOT help. You may become so busy punishing yourself you get paralyzed and don't move forward. Just start the next day anew, accept that you cannot change the past, and then give yourself the gift of doing something wonderful for yourself - an AF day. It gets easier and easier over time ... and hangovers SUCK!

Okay, hugs to all ...
        Pansy

maybe I should post this on the what works thread??

Comment

Wednesday Jan. 17

Welcome back Andy, and congrats to everyone else finishing up another AF day.

I had a few cravings after work today (forgot to take topa on time), so instead of heading home, I went to the restaurant where Maddy was working (no alcohol served) and took my topa while I was there, and had her serve me a nice, reasonably healthy dinner. Left her a great tip, too . It really helped, because I was home for a half hour before I realized that I had forgotten all about wine once I had eaten and had driven by the liquor store without thinking about it once. Now I'm just making up my to do list for tomorrow.

I FINALLY ordered Allen Carr's book. Took me long enough! As I wrote in another thread, I need to stop romanticizing my relationship with alcohol.

At any rate, it is getting close to bedtime here, and I'm finding that I am having a lot more energy even on Day 2. I wasn't drinking that much, but I think all of that tiredness was really just drinking while I was on 150-200 mg topa. Duh. I was trying to find every excuse but the one right in front of my face.:blush:

Anyway, love to all,

Kathy:l

Pansy, we were posting at the same time. Yes, post it on what works! Those are wise words, my dear!
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Wednesday Jan. 17

Kathy, it sounds like you have made great strides on just Day 2. Remember how long it took to drive past the liquor store the FIRST time. I keep telling folks that it gets easier with each successive extended abs attempt. How wonderful for you!!

Yes, I guess I should post in what works - I will clean it up a bit more. Again, time to take duh stupamax. Still have not done so.

Night to all, and many hugs ....
            Pansy

Comment

Working...
            X