Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Mar. 19 - Mar. 25

very cool. he's been incredibly supportive. M
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Good Morning Everyone,

Here is what I posted about my two AA meetings yesterday on another thread:

I went to two AA meetings yesterday. I have to say, that I think this will be an important component of maintaining sobriety for me. Mainly, I'm finally going to have some people in my life who don't drink. People just couldn't be nicer and they reach out to you in a concrete way so you have solid support. I had lunch with the first group and already have plans to get together with some of them again outside of AA. I think part of the reason I didn't make it in my first two attempts was tied to being isolated. The meetings themselves are helping too -- just to hear stories of where I'll end up if I choose to drink again..........I think the most compelling part of the meetings is when people talk about drinking after long periods of sobriety. The cunning, baffling part of alcoholism that catches us completely off guard when nothing special is happening to catapult us into drinking.......we just pick up. One guy talked about being in Italy on vacation having a lovely day swimming in the Mediterranean with his family. Suddenly he was at the bar and soon thereafter in the portapotty (LOL) with a bunch of liquor, drinking it there to hide it from his family. He wasn't upset about anything......having a good time........and it just hit. THAT's the scary part....just out of the blue. Anyway, I'm getting past the things that kept me from going to these meetings because I want every tool I can get. I'm excited to have people I can now call or meet for coffee or lunch who understand and will be there for support.

And what I wanted to add here on the AA thread is that I think I might have figured out who my sponsor will be. She raised her hand when they asked for willing sponsors and has been sober for decades. A lot of the women in the Saturday morning group have very long time sobriety, so I'm thrilled to be in that company. This woman is an attorney and we actually know some of the same people (small world). Would you believe I also met another women in the afternoon meeting that used to work in the same company I worked at about 8 years ago?! It's uncanny, really. We ended up sitting next to each other and put it all together. We had the same boss but worked in different offices. Crazy!!! Anyway, I like both of these women and plan to stay in touch with them.

Mary and DG, thank you for being regular posters on this AA thread. You've both posted here for a long time, I know. And TDN and others who have begun to be here a lot........you never know when you're going to influence someone like me and indirectly be responsible for helping them in a very significant way. I'm really thinking AA will be the missing link that will keep me sober.

Comment

UW: Yes, the relapsing is really distressing. I too take those stories to heart.

I was an isolated drinker. I drank alone & in secret. The meetings get me out & meeting sober, recovering people. I absolutely need them. When I hear about relapsing from speakers, the common thread is that they stopped going to meetings.

Congrats on getting a sponsor. It's really essential, because there is no way to do the steps wo/one.

I was wondering: How do folks on the other threads react to your posts about AA? Is there curiosity, negativity, possible new members???

Just wondering.

Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, I would say that most people that I run across on the site just think we should all do what works and that it's different for each of us. The negatives about AA are things like not liking the Christian bent, the fact that it doesn't work for a lot of people, etc. And, some have had bad experiences at specific meetings. I think a couple of people are still considering going - not really sure.

Comment

Mary

Just spotted this thread, and wanted to add my congratulations on your 3 years sober. I am so pleased for you. I remember you from the early part of your journey when I first joined the site in 2008/2009 and I managed 8 months. After 3 years almost daily drinking (july 09- Feb 12) I've just managed 31 days sober now.

You are an inspiration to us all - so pleased for you.

Comment

Mary,
              Congratulations on 3 years! We have all been through quite a journey here.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Big Congratulations Mary 3years sober its really good knowning you on this thread i learn a lot from your post.... you joined the same year as me, and it good to know your here living life on life terms having that freedom is so wonderful. So Happy for you Mary x
                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Working...
                X