af daily wed 11 april

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af daily wed 11 april

Sunni – that is totally awesome! You have it beat now.

Ah, the afternoon slump for me is a combo of slump and depression. I am tired but also that’s when I start arguing with myself about drinking when I get him. I don’t know if it helps everyone but a try to go for some simple carbs (not a lot) and a truck load of water. If I’m not in a water mood, I have these single serving flavorings that I add to it. Not a miracle cure but tends to help.

Sunni – I’ve tried the afternoon nap on the weekends. I must be doing something majorly wrong because when I am done with that my head is foggy for the rest of the day.

If we get a solution to the foot bath today and have some extra time, I’d like opinions on ‘ear candling”. We go to Jamaica several times a year and this is something they have started. Best I can tell is that they stick a paper cone in your ear and light it. The theory is that it is supposed to bring out deep seated ear wax. Not sure I want my ear that close to fire…. I’ve also heard it’s a scam.

Have a great day All!

IJM Thought of the day: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

ItsJustMe;1295219 wrote: I?ve tried the afternoon nap on the weekends. I must be doing something majorly wrong because when I am done with that my head is foggy for the rest of the day.

I?d like opinions on ?ear candling?. We go to Jamaica several times a year and this is something they have started. Best I can tell is that they stick a paper cone in your ear and light it. The theory is that it is supposed to bring out deep seated ear wax. Not sure I want my ear that close to fire?. I?ve also heard it?s a scam.
      I'm also that way about naps. Kills the rest of my day.

You can do the ear candling yourself. You can get the wax coated cones at the health food store. And a how to book. You could probably google how to do it. I wouldn't pay to have it done - it's too easy to just get your wife to do it, nor would I do it in Jamaica. Like anything else in the alternative realm, there are proponents and naysayers.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Hi Wednesday Abbers!

Logging in a little later than usual. Spent the morning reorganizing my "vision" book, or my lifebook as I refer to it. It's a binder with sections in it such at "Gratitude", "Love", "Dreams", etc., that I started after I watched the Secret by Rhonda Byrne last year. I hadn't done much with this year but it was interesting to see my entries from last year and I re-arranged and added some new stuff today. Plan to use it daily. The fun part is cutting things out from magazines and catalogs that I "want"...anything from clothing to houses, and sticking them on my dreams page...and then wait for them to manifest with the right frame of thinking (aka: Thoughts Become Things!).

Lav, you had posted the website for TUT.com and it has helped me get back on track immensely in the last few days pertaining to doing my visionbook work, THANK YOU! I am now reading Mike Dooley's book, Infinite Possibilities and also have his audio book "Leveraging the Universe" right now which both I took out from the library a few days ago. Awesome stuff folks!

Hi to Greenie, Dizzy, Sugar, Bear73, TDN, and happy 50th day to AlmostFamous AND Me!
        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
        :h

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Happy Day 50, Almost and Blondie!! You girls are rocking it!

IJM... Send a PM off to Ringing Cedars... she'll direct you to all sorts of info on ear candling. I used to be like you and the green one.. in terms of feeling like I've run head first into a bus after a nap but not so anymore. Mind you, most times I don't actually sleep... just rest.

Love your thought for the day - so true :H

Thank you for your support peeps.. and Lav, thank you so much for starting a thread in General :l

Back to work!
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Hi peeps,

I had a self imposed change of attitude yesterday after I posted here for a wee vent. Took a page from Turn's book of Gratitude and ... Decided not to get aggravated and annoyed. Enjoyed the small things and my son's laugh.

My MIL has decided that in absence of a proper explanation for me not drinking - I must have been given it up for lent (Orthodox lent that is). I did not deny it. Let them make their own assumptions.

Hugs to all. Must run
            workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Goodmorning Bear. I m with Greenie, one month is better than nothing. Im also glad I am not on that merrygoround. And you are not asking me what the toxicology of what you are doing is, so I wont tell you.

CONGRATULATIONS SUNSHINE ON 6 MONTHS!!!
              :goodjob:

Lets see. Not in any particular order:

Ear Candling
              Afternoon blas
              Foot baths

I cant comment on the efficacy of ear candling except that there are cases in the literature where hearing has been impaired by too much heat. Ear wax is protective and if there is too much of it, it is soluble in hydrogen peroxide, a few drops will cause a mild exothermic reaction and the wax is rendered and runs out, so you can lie on your side, put a few drops in your ear, let it fizz there for about a minute or so, then sit up and use a kleenex on your elbow to remove the extra goo. Remember nothing bigger than you elbow in your ear. Right?

Ear candling yourself sounds interesting, and right up there with other things you might do to yourself for fun, but as to its potential for harm....nothing came up in my search of the Kaslo database this morning.

Afternoon blas; two words; Circadian Rhythm. This is not just a bunch of Nova Scotians with a tamborine and bongos, okay? Probably one of the biggest cause of relapse in AL people is the afternoon low energy period. Again the answer to this is better sleep and exercise. The two together is really important. While you may think you have slept like a baby for hours, in fact you may have had a lot of surface sleep and not as much REM as you need. REM is not a rock band from the seve....oh sorry. Hey. Im semi retired. I only have one tox job on polychlorinated biphenyls right now. I get distracted easily. So to make sure you get REM as an adult, you need to move your body. Shake your booty. Even a five minute walk mid morning at top speed is going to help. If you are reasonably fit already, go run up the stairs a couple of times. About ten AM. (That is IF you have no heart problems....). A walk again after lunch, even just around the block as fast as your legs can carry you. TEN MINUTES... if you cant take ten minutes, during coffee break and lunch, then there is something wrong with your situation. It may rebound on you at first and hit you hard in the afternoon, but that is not a permanent response. Its your Nova Scotia Rythm saying WTF?

Foot baths. THis is where I got derailed reading in my own field about plant uptake of Selenium and development of the Blind Staggers in cattle. Their hooves fall off. ok? Put that search string together and win a prize. So anyway, YES: the surface of the feet exude toxins! Anyone who had to live with my brother Ogre when he was a teen ager would attest to that. So do the armpits, the crotch, the forehead, and if your 57 and overweight and female, that lovely set of second armpits, the underboobs. They do NOT and I repeat do not rid the liver and kidneys and bloodstream of toxins as much as the urine does, which is why I urge you to drink water and pee your brains out. But they do serve an interesting function in making us reek after hockey games. Even if we arent playing. Or even listening.

The surface of the skin is innervated with nerves and blood vessels and it is a huge mysterious organ with deep significance that oriental medicine has tapped into, literally, with accupressure, accupuncture and herbal medicine. So anything that soothes and relaxes us is going to do wonders for our states of mind. However, if you are taking toxins out, its like boiling a haggis. The crap left in the stomach bag gets concentrated. So replace your fluids, please.

My mother was an Edinburgh scot. I actually ATE haggis. So I know.

Thanks TDN for even making a joke about the fees. The differene here is I do not have to cross reference this with a hundred journal articles, plus I get to fool around a lot.

Love to all

Kaslo, Pro Bonehead.
              Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Ahhhhhh....it's just so wonderful to start my day by reading here.

I trail dear Kas in - coming from the backwater of the world....and I gotta say...Kas - OMG- what a visual....haggis and stomach bags, sweaty underboobs...oh my! My step-mom is an Edinburgh Scot who made it to the states via Canada. I know haggis too and it still scares me!

And...what marvelous news - Our very own Sunnibutt has a whole half year of AF goodness under the saddle. Hi-HO-SUNNI! You are getting the full two pug salute!

Re: naps....I have oftened wondered if those Siesta countries are on to something. Perhaps we are designed to rest in the 'heat' of the day? Yes...I hear the beat of the circadian rhythm section and I wish I didn't have to ignore it!

Shue....you are too funny....You've got the right Lavan-ittude about dealing with inlaws, liquor and holiday!

Off to Boob Camp to get the girls sweaty. Oh - I got on the scale this morning and discovered I have GAINED 3 pounds from last week! WTF!?!? I've been working out hard every day and am getting thrashed by the personal trainer. Ok - so muscle weighs more...but GEEZ...I wish the scale would stop moving the wrong way!
                Sober for the Revolution!
                AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

I didn't realize we have twin 50 day AF'rs here -
                  CONGRATS to Blondie & AlmostFamous

Shue, when is your 'fun, fun' holiday over? :H :H
                  The longer I live the more I realize just how smart it is to stay away from extended family!!!!

OK, here is today's Matilda update. I actually got her to look into the camera (just using my smartphone camera for now).

I feel compelled to mention something in light of the sweaty, underboob thing.
                  My last boss at the hospital was a large, extremely well-endowed woman. The fist time I saw her grasp the end of her desk to pull herself forward & watched that rack glide over the top of her desk stopping almost halfway across the desk - well I just about fell off my chair :H That was during my initial interview! I guess I hid my reaction well enough because I did get hired. Years later she admitted to using roll on deoderant on the underside of the boobs to keep the sweating to a minimum
                  I have never had that problem & oh so grateful that I never will!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Lav, hilarous story, and that face is adorable! Is there a way I can get a sibling of this pup???

AND meant to say to DizzyBee, you seem to have a huge understanding of your own particular medical issues, with all of those things going on, how do you magage to be so positive? I bet removing AL from the scene is a BIG improvement. AND BTW I have always wanted to go to Seth Effrica (is that accent right?) and see the veld. Or is it Velt? The lovely plain and mountains.

Now I must go pay my corporate taxes. OUCH. That is all.

kaslo, PB, stopping for the four part deodorant on the way.
                    Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Dear Kas, if I had drank any water this morning I'd be peeing myself by now. No laughy smiley thingie.. it ain't funny 'cause it's true.

You guys really come up with the most ... errrmmm... unusual topics. No wonder, IJM keeps running off! :H

Thank you, Turnip (and everyone)... but now I really wanna see what a two pug salute looks like! :H
                      Lav... that pup is positively gorgeous! So, how's Maxi handling the family addition?
                      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Kas - Matilda had one sibling - Maxwell & he was also adopted on Monday by a young couple. He'll make a good first dog for them I think
                        I have no idea who (what) fathered these pups but the Mom is a sweet looking young Beagle who will also need to be adopted.....

Sunni, Maxie is taking all this pretty well - so far. She has barked/snapped at Matilda a couple of times when the pup invaded her personal space. It's all a learning process I suppose, but so far, so good

Apologies to IJM for the TMI moments here - they are what they are
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Sunni- you are awwwweeeeeessssooommmmeeee!!!!! 6 months!! Way to go.
                          Ok, now I must get back to work.
                          AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

Lav- wow she must have had some serious boobage to get boob sweat. Thanks for the laugh during my work break.

Green- I am chugging h2o with lemon. Must be me just getting older. Back in the day I could cut back and drop 5 pounds in a blink of an eye.
                            AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

popping back in...to wish Almost and Blondie their own pug salutes for rocking 50 days of AF goodness! Here it is:

With so much celebrating going on...I am playing the Bye Bye Beer Belly Polka in honor of all of you today! And look...it's even on a cute little red accordion.

Lav - Matilda is ADORABLE! I am playing the Cutest Puppy EVER (besides the Pugs) Polka
                              next.

Oh - and all this talk about boobage reminded me of this:

Sober for the Revolution!
                              AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

af daily wed 11 april

You're so funny Kas! Pro Bonehead. And thanks to the weight I gained due to the wine I don't have to be middle aged to know about the sweaty boobage thing. I went from a B to a D cup and I hate it. I really don't understand women who choose to do this to themselves, you can't run, it's hard to dress without looking slutty...Anyhoo.

I struggled with depression my whole life and I only found relief a month ago when I started the Topamax, thats how I have the huge understanding. My mom have also tried to commit suicide twice in the last 3 years from late onset bipolar, so I've been trying my best to help find a solution for her. I've been reading up on everything for the last 14 years trying to find the answer. I developed a keen interest in everything medical along the way and have now started doing medical copywriting and translations so I guess its not all bad.

I never believed my doctor when she said I have soft spectrum bipolar as I just felt depressed but I am a bit worried today. Worried as I feel a bit TOO HYPER (and trust me I have years of feeling sluggish to make up for but I can't sit still and that is not a good thing when you're a writer/translator)

You ask how I manage to feel so upbeat - its not something I do, its all brain chemistry. I have been AF before, I have been healthy before, I have done all of this before. The Topamax just 'clicked' in my brain. OK, I get up and I do stuff but my mom is seriously bipolar and she's like this when she's happy - a truly nice upbeat energetic person. But now I wonder as I've always just experienced the down side of the cycle what does this sudden up cycle mean - will I stay here? Will my down cycle become worse? I mean this is the best I've ever felt in my whole life but I'm also kind of waiting for it to come crashing down.

And removing AL did make a big difference. And removing the craving behind removing the AL removed the anxiety so I have a lot of anxiety and depression gone and I have my brain rewired a bit differently.

Anyway, one day at a time, hey?

Don't know what you mean - we don't have accents here. No, you have it spot on. It is the Veld. Where areabouts are you? SA is worth a visit, especially Cape Town. OK, so I'm bias but its lovely here and there is just so much to see. I'm really going to miss home.

Good luck with the taxes - yuck.

Cute pups Lav and Turn

XOX

Comment

Working...
                                X